Local TV report: CMU's Kelly to Iowa State

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Shoalzie
WingNut

Local TV report: CMU's Kelly to Iowa State

Post by Shoalzie »

I don't have a link but Brian Kelly has been interviewing with Iowa State and there's supposedly a presser scheduled for tomorrow. Speculation is that Kelly will be named the new head coach at Iowa State. I post this only because Kelly was a candidate for the Michigan State job...I know a lot of the local media slappies would've liked to see Kelly go from Grand Valley State to Central Michigan to Michigan State. He's done a nice job in Mount Pleasant and built a D-II powerhouse in Allendale...look out for the Cyclones in the next few years. Interesting to see what he's able to do outside of the state of Michigan though when he's got to go up against guys like Stoops and Brown in conference and he's got to compete in recruiting with a big time coach in-state in Ferentz.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Re: Local TV report: CMU's Kelly to Iowa State

Post by campinfool »

Shoalzie wrote: big time coach in-state in Ferentz.
I laughed
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

I am glad he is going to ISU, I was worried he was going to MSU.
Those who stay will be champions.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

The guy has won at two different levels now, that is a good sign. But having a lame-duck HC I don't know if you'll see the best out of Central Michigan in the con-championship.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

I'm still thinking there will be some kinda twist to this whole thing.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Danimal wrote:The guy has won at two different levels now, that is a good sign. But having a lame-duck HC I don't know if you'll see the best out of Central Michigan in the con-championship.
Are you sayin' if The Fightin' Frankies punk him it's a mulligan?
Frankie's probably thinkin' "what a great way to introduce Kelly to Big 12 style football."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Local TV report: CMU's Kelly to Iowa State

Post by Shoalzie »

campinfool wrote:
Shoalzie wrote: big time coach in-state in Ferentz.
I laughed

The Iowa program is overrated but Ferentz is for real.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

Thats what the Austin American Statesman is reporting.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... p_job.html
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Not so fast:

http://iowastate.rivals.com/

Chizik? RACK THAT.
ftfy
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Well...color me embarrassed for jumping the gun. Chizik has been a hot name and now with some big jobs opening up, that's a nice hire by them.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

well, i guess i take back what i said about Chizik having bigger fish to fry than Miss St. in a Sylvester Croom thread....

can losing to KSU and ATM with a banged up D have damaged Chizik's rep that much.....?

i guess he's thinking grind out 6 wins year after next, get some HC experience on someone else's dime, go to a bowl, and start looking for a new job (sort of the Lon Kruger plan at KSU....win some games and go straight to job hunting Florida and Illinois).
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

King Crimson wrote:well, i guess i take back what i said about Chizik having bigger fish to fry than Miss St. in a Sylvester Croom thread....

can losing to KSU and ATM with a banged up D have damaged Chizik's rep that much.....?

i guess he's thinking grind out 6 wins year after next, get some HC experience on someone else's dime, go to a bowl, and start looking for a new job (sort of the Lon Kruger plan at KSU....win some games and go straight to job hunting Florida and Illinois).
Yes. He had a veteran secondary with 3 seniors that started for the defending national champions back and they were consistantly torched. Trick play? Couldn't defend it. Gene is a good coach and will run a good program. He was great against the run. We did a good job of shutting most teams down. But if you could throw the ball, we were out of position. That is on the defensive coaches.

He also had the benefit of coaching at Auburn and Texas where 4 and 5 star recruits are the norm. What is he going to do in Ames when he is working with after thoughts of the major schools? I think he will have a nice defense but I wouldn't be polishing the championship trophy just yet.