Call your rivalry

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

StrandedTexan
Jake

Call your rivalry

Post by StrandedTexan »

OK, now that the OSU vs. Mich game is over, name your Top 10 rivalrys. Based on hatred, pageantry, lore, significance, etc.

1. Army vs. Navy for its pageantry and love (yes, whodathunkit), and tradition.
2. Alabama vs. Auburn for its hatred...utter hate.
3. Texas vs. Oklahoma cause it's a close 2nd close in hatred, significance, lore.
4. Ohio State vs. Michigan for its lore, impact on community, significance.
5. Southern California vs. Notre Dame for its pageantry and tradition.
6. Miami/Florida State/Florida vs. Miami/Florida State/Florida...you pick.
7. Miami/Florida State/Florida vs. Miami/Florida State/Florida...still you.
8. Florida vs. Georgia for its hatred and significance...and hotties.
9. Texas vs. Texas A&M for its tradition, lore, and hatred...and Texas supremacy.
10. Southern California vs. UCLA for California bragging rights and I guess, respect.

As food for thought here's what CFN thought: http://cfn.scout.com/2/591649.html
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I know which one I'll say but Michigan-Ohio State isn't important to everyone. It's one of the great traditional rivalries each year but I don't think all fans circle that game on the schedule every year. I'd worry about my own team's rivals first before the other big games. Michigan-Notre Dame and Michigan-Michigan State are passionate rivalries but that's more for the fans of the teams involved to enjoy and the outside observer to enjoy. It's narrow-minded to pick one as being the unequated #1...all of them have their own charm. ESPN will tell us which is best but leave it up to the fans to decide.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

m2 vs the shower rod
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:m2 vs the shower rod
It's been a back-and-forth struggle...

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Army-Navy is way overrated. who really cares? and don't fuck with me, my dad was an Army Ranger and my G-Paw had a purple Heart and Air Corps Medal of Honor from WW II....

Army wins, Navy wins, who cares?
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Believe the Heupel wrote:StrandedTexan vs. Stanford-Binet
I know, right? He totally spelled "Oklahoma / Texas" as "Tejas / Oklahoma." What kind of an idiot does that? :D

It's Oklahoma / Tejas. I swear, the problem is that you have to catch them while they're doin' it. Otherwise, they don't know why you're beating them...

the_ouskull
StrandedTexan
Jake

Post by StrandedTexan »

the_ouskull wrote:I know, right? He totally spelled "Oklahoma / Texas" as "Tejas / Oklahoma." What kind of an idiot does that? :D

It's Oklahoma / Tejas. I swear, the problem is that you have to catch them while they're doin' it. Otherwise, they don't know why you're beating them...

the_ouskull
Ok, that made me laugh. It's really good to see you OU losers have regained some of your spirit after the 28-10 thumping Texas gave ya this year. Grats! I still hope you fuckers lose every game you ever play, but that post gave me a laugh.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

'sup, Fanhome?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

King Crimson wrote:Army-Navy is way overrated. who really cares?
That's one of the best things about this game. Outside of Navy's recent run, these teams rarely go to bowl games, haven't had many players with NFL potential, if any for that matter, yet this game is as close to life and death for these guys and they put it on the line the same way they would when serving their country.

Shoalzie mentioned games that one might circle at the start of every year that they would watch regardless. This game ALWAYS get the circle in my book.

Other games I enjoy watching every year would include:

FSU - Miami
FSU - UF
Texas - Oklahoma
Ohio State - Michigan
USC - ND
Alabama - Auburn
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Army-Navy. Real student athletes competing for what it's all about. Go read the book Civil War by John Feinstein. Then maybe you'll get the true meaning of this rivalry.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

#1: Ohio St vs Michigan
#2: USC vs ND
#3: Auburn vs Bama
#4: Army vs Navy
#5: The Road vs Cal
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Van wrote:#1: Ohio St vs Michigan

I will let you amend this in 2 weeks....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:#5: The Road vs Cal
Not so sure about that.

Sin,

the road
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

In reality I'd like to say Army-Navy is #1 because that's the ONE rivalry game where the coach of one of the teams (Army) could go 1-11 every year and keep his job just by beating his rival every year.

It means that much to those guys.

Nonetheless, there's other things to consider there...

First off, the game is meaningless, otherwise. More importantly, those two teams will soon be teammates (in the truest sense) in their careers and their college football careers are mostly just pleasant memory adjuncts to the real reason they went to their schools. Those kids truly are students first, athletes second. They have more important things to worry about while in college.

Michigan-Ohio St is #1. For so many of those players that game will be the crowning achievement of their lives. Doesn't even matter what they go on and do in the NFL. I'll guarantee you that even if Troy Smith goes on to win three rings in the NFL he'll never cherish any memory like he'll cherish his three wins (and zero losses) over Michigan.

Morever, Michigan-Ohio St is played every year, without exception (hear that, OU-Nebraska?) and it nearly ALWAYS involves two very highly ranked teams that are among the five best programs in the history of college FB.

Auburn isn't in that class, even though Bama is. ND and USC both go through extended lulls in their programs which OSU and Michigan seem to avoid.

Michigan-OSU, #1, without a doubt. ND-USC is #2 because of the glamour of the programs involved and all that's so often at stake when they meet and the additional fact that USC-ND is the only big deal intersectional rivalry in all of CF...

That's CF's main national game.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The Seer wrote:
Van wrote:#1: Ohio St vs Michigan

I will let you amend this in 2 weeks....
USC-UCLA?

Nah. While that one is truly special since it's the only cross town rivalry in all of CF involving national powers the fact remains that overall USC considers the ND game to be even more important. Were it not for the conference implications involved in playing UCLA vs the fact that ND is at least a non conference game the gap between those two games would be even larger in the eyes of USC.

Two other things...

-That game lost a lot of what made it unique and special when UCLA moved out of the Coliseum and into the Rose Bowl. When both teams called the Coliseum home and they both wore their home uniforms when they played each other that was truly the coolest spectacle in CF.

No more. The two programs barely even feel like they share the same city as home anymore.

-UCLA just isn't good enough, often enough. Beating ND is usually a much bigger feather in USC's cap than beating some three or four loss UCLA team, which is far too often the case.

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Laxplayer wrote:Army-Navy. Real student athletes competing for what it's all about. Go read the book Civil War by John Feinstein. Then maybe you'll get the true meaning of this rivalry.
In other words, in this day and age, it's the equivalent of a high school football game.

Don't get me wrong, John Feinstein is a fine writer and all, but unless both of those teams are ranked in the current joke of a CF "system" we have, or in an hypothetical playoff game, I couldn't care less.

"Rivalry" implies there's some actual meaning to the game. That's why -- outside of the myopians, of course -- nobody cares when an unranked PSU plays an unranked Pitt, nor when this year's ND plays Army or Navy. Yeah, that ND-Navy game has a lot of "tradition," too. :meds:
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Believe the Heupel wrote:I am greatly saddened that OU-Nebraska hasn't shown up yet.
1. OU-Neb
2. Mich-tOSU
3. ND-USC
4. OU-Tex
5. Aub.-Ala
6. Fla.-Tenn
7. ND-Mich
8. Fla.-FSU
9. Tex-aTm
10. Ore-OreSt
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

The formation of the Big 12 KILLED OU / Nebraska. I knew it would happen when it formed and it has. It's pretty f'ing sad.

the_ouskull
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Yeah, I'm sure Donnie Duncan stood up for that one.

Duncan: What, you'll have a whore suck my dick once a week for the first year? OK, we don't need to make an exception to the schedule. Rivalries are overrated anyway.

Jackass.

OK, maybe it's not just him, but that guy is a POS, and the former atheltic director at OU, during the Switzer's "glory years." Jackass.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

What drives the Auburn-Alabama rivalry is that fans of both schools identify the fans of the other school with the stereotype that all self-respecting citizens of the state despise...the mullet-haired, beer-gutted, meth-mouthed trailer trash.

Fear and Loathing in the Heart of Dixie.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Van, yes they will be teammates but so will a lot of guys playing college football. Look at Lendale White and Vince Young. Granted that's not a rivalry but many of these guys will be sharing the same locker room on Sunday. With Army-Navy it's what college football is all about. Seniors who truely know it's their last game. Oh wait......85% of the seniors that played in that OSU-Michigan game played their last game too.

They have more important things to worry about while in college.
Shouldn't most people because they're not playing at the next level either?

I respect those kids so much more than any other school because they actually take a full load of real classes and don't get any free passes from professors who are friends of athletic programs. If these kids are ineligible they get removed from school, not like other places where accommodations are made etc......There's a lot of passion, emotion etc.....that's why I love this game.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Carson wrote:What drives the Auburn-Alabama rivalry is that fans of both schools identify the fans of the other school with the stereotype that all self-respecting citizens of the state despise...the mullet-haired, beer-gutted, meth-mouthed trailer trash.
Is either side wrong though??

:-)

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lax, I agree about those Army-Navy kids, which was my whole point.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Id put USC- ND as #1 Its the ONLY Non Conference, multi regional game on the list. It pits the pastey white chubby catlicks from Indiana vs the ones smart enough to migrate away from that weather.
It also pits 2 teams who have combined for 22 National Championships
The teams involved have combined to win 14 Heisman Trophys
On stats alone, there is no other rivalry comparable to USC v Notre Dame

I also like USC vs UCLA, the schools are 8 miles apart, you spend all year surrounded by the other schools fans, co workers, clients, patients, colleagues....
USC UCLA is more than football, these are the #1 and #2 mens athletic programs in the Nation in National Titles having a combined 143 National Titles between them, not counting the 11 they have combined to win in football. And thet have combined to win 8 Heisman Trophys

I may be biased by choosing these 2 rivalries but theyre the 2 I know and they involve the school I went to.
I wont disrespect other rivalries, I think to fans and alumni of those schools, they are the biggest and best, and I wouldnt be offended if they chose the rivalry that involved their school,

but lets look at the other rivalries statistically

Ohio State v Michigan
combined 12 National titles in football (13 after this year)
combined 9 Heisman Trophys (10 after this year)
combined 50 National Titles in other mens sports

Oklahoma v Nebraska
combined 12 National Titles in Football
combined 7 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 25 National Titles in other mens sports

Alabama v Auburn
combined 12 National Titles in football
combined 2 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 6 National Titles in other mens sports

Texas v Oklahoma
combined 11 National Titles in Football
combined 6 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 34 National Titles in other mens sports

Miami v Florida State
combined 7 National Titles in Football
combined 4 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 7 National Titles in other mens sports
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Van wrote:
Carson wrote:What drives the Auburn-Alabama rivalry is that fans of both schools identify the fans of the other school with the stereotype that all self-respecting citizens of the state despise...the mullet-haired, beer-gutted, meth-mouthed trailer trash.
Is either side wrong though??

:-)
Sadly, no.
All that money spent on football programs just so Hoyt and Bubba can feel better about themselves.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Van wrote:
-UCLA just isn't good enough, often enough. Beating ND is usually a much bigger feather in USC's cap than beating some three or four loss UCLA team, which is far too often the case.

Reality sucks.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote:10. Ore-OreSt

Someone gets it.

This game rarely means much in the big picture(take this year, for example). And that just doesn't matter. The hatred between the two is awesome. Both teams could go into the game at 1-9(which has happened more than once, if'n I'm not mistaken), and it doesn't matter. The two schools generally have quite different cirriculums, which can often mean that within a family, different members went to different schools. And the Civil War supercedes family allegiances. If Mom/Dad(like at my buddy's house) are Duck and Beaver, they don't speak this week. Brother/sister...don't speak, unless it's to call each other "asshole." Two kids, one a Duck and one a Beav? Guess what...they're not both coming home for Thanksgiving...it would require being in the same room.

Didn't attend either school? No matter, find someone with the opposite rooting interest as yourself, and just walk up and punch them in the face. After the game, be sure to watch your own face if you're in Corvallis.

Usually during this week, the local sports station gets former Ducks and Beavs who are in the NFL on the phone at the same time, so they can talk shit. Couple years ago, Keith Lewis came on and told Richard Seigler(his roommate at training camp with the 49ers, which was quite intentional) that "sorry, but you have families moving out of their own house this week in Oregon...I'm sure the hell not going to talk to some punk who played ball in a high sbhool stadium." If I remember right, at some point somebody was threatening to kick Igor Olshansky's ass over the phone. I think Nick Barnett got called a "pussy" or something like that.

Awesome stuff.

But apart from the homer stuff, I always like the RRS. OSU/UM is always a winner. Iron Bowl...how can you not dig it?

Fuck...I love ALL traditional rivalries....s'what it's all about. Although if the Giant Meteor were to hit any of the Florida rivalries, it wouldn't break my heart too badly.

And for small schools -- Linfield/Pacific Lutheran generates an awful lot of hate for D3. I've already got the calander marked to go next year. Linfoeld fan has been getting a little out of control, and I think they finally put the kibash to booze at games, but my buddy lives damn-near across the street, so we'll work around it.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Van wrote:#5: The Road vs Cal
e wrote:Pinkel vs. Good Coaching
Seems to me that some people don't understand the meaning of the word "rivalry." To me, "rivalry" connotes something that is at least competitive. Just sayin'.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

and no rivalry statistically stands up to USC v Notre Dame with only Ohio State and Michigan coming close
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SoCalTrjn wrote:and no rivalry statistically stands up to USC v Notre Dame

Wow. What a truly stupid post. Uhm, care to quanitfy these "mystery stats"? Because with mystery stats, I can tell you beyond all doubt that Montana vs. Montana St is BY FAR a superior rivaly, statistaically. More Montanans attend that game than any silly USC/ND game.

I can't believe I even just read that. Incredibly dumb.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Dinsdale wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:and no rivalry statistically stands up to USC v Notre Dame

Wow. What a truly stupid post. Uhm, care to quanitfy these "mystery stats"? Because with mystery stats, I can tell you beyond all doubt that Montana vs. Montana St is BY FAR a superior rivaly, statistaically. More Montanans attend that game than any silly USC/ND game.

I can't believe I even just read that. Incredibly dumb.
myself wrote:Id put USC- ND as #1 Its the ONLY Non Conference, multi regional game on the list. It pits the pastey white chubby catlicks from Indiana vs the ones smart enough to migrate away from that weather.
It also pits 2 teams who have combined for 22 National Championships
The teams involved have combined to win 14 Heisman Trophys
On stats alone, there is no other rivalry comparable to USC v Notre Dame

I also like USC vs UCLA, the schools are 8 miles apart, you spend all year surrounded by the other schools fans, co workers, clients, patients, colleagues....
USC UCLA is more than football, these are the #1 and #2 mens athletic programs in the Nation in National Titles having a combined 143 National Titles between them, not counting the 11 they have combined to win in football. And thet have combined to win 8 Heisman Trophys

I may be biased by choosing these 2 rivalries but theyre the 2 I know and they involve the school I went to.
I wont disrespect other rivalries, I think to fans and alumni of those schools, they are the biggest and best, and I wouldnt be offended if they chose the rivalry that involved their school,

but lets look at the other rivalries statistically

Ohio State v Michigan
combined 12 National titles in football (13 after this year)
combined 9 Heisman Trophys (10 after this year)
combined 50 National Titles in other mens sports

Oklahoma v Nebraska
combined 12 National Titles in Football
combined 7 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 25 National Titles in other mens sports

Alabama v Auburn
combined 12 National Titles in football
combined 2 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 6 National Titles in other mens sports

Texas v Oklahoma
combined 11 National Titles in Football
combined 6 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 34 National Titles in other mens sports

Miami v Florida State
combined 7 National Titles in Football
combined 4 Heisman Trophy Winners
combined 7 National Titles in other mens sports
lets take a look at your little rivalry
Oregon and Oregon State have combined for:
ZERO National Championships in Football
1 Heisman Trophy
12 National Titles in other mens sports

USC and Notre Dame have combined for
22 National Championships in Football
14 Heisman Trophys
79 National Titles in other mens sports
Last edited by SoCalTrjn on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So take the marbles out of your fucking mouth and say it, then.

It still wouldn't be correct or anything like that, but at least it might give the reader a clue as to what you're babbling about.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

had the reader actually read this thread, they would know what I was babbling about
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

e wrote:i stand corrected. pinkel vs good coaching is usually a rout. good call.
tru dat. but the assistants always give a good puppet show.

Kansas-Mizzou is pretty heated. those people HATE each other dating back to the Civil War when Bill Quantrill burned Lawrence to the ground and the "Jayhawkers" raped and pillaged acros northern Missouri.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Nice circular logic.

If a person had read your poorly-written incoherent babble, they'd understand your incoherent babble?

Here, let's see if I can succeed where the University of Southern California obviously failed --
If he wasn't babbling, SCDouchebag WOULD have wrote:USC and ND have more championships between them than any other rivalry game, which makes this the most meaningful rivalry.

"Statistically," I'd say Marshall vs. Boeing is a MUCH bigger rival.

If you want to start plugging meaningless statistics into the equation, and all.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

what statistic would be more meaningful in grading a rivalry than the combined success of the two teams in the rivalry?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dinsdale wrote:"Statistically," I'd say Marshall vs. Boeing is a MUCH bigger rival.
Fuckin Rack.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SoCalTrjn wrote:what statistic would be more meaningful in grading a rivalry than the combined success of the two teams in the rivalry?

Oh....fan interest?

National television audience(and don't think for a second that anyone could hang with OSU/UM this year).

National news coverage of rivalry game.

Number of out-of-towners without tickets who show up just to sit outside.

Number of drive-by shootings during the tailgate.

We can cite all sorts of statistics to support our arguments, can't we? Yet you spoke in absolutes. And you just got called out for it, because it was fucking stupid.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

wouldnt the ground have scoreboard over Boeing and Marshall?