Any Old Day Now...

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

NAS is at a 5 1/2 year high, but still down almost 50% from its high of 5006 on 3/7/00.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

I'm in Hibernation until Wednesday November 8.
Ruff
Elwood

Post by Ruff »

KC Scott wrote:I'm in Hibernation until Wednesday November 8.
Good luck hunting!
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Well now what? The dems won and...?
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Yeah I imagine that investment strategy would change a bit, as the Dems will alter the economic landscape.

The question is how. The first few sessions they are in charge will certainly give some indication.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Trampis wrote:
Well now what? The dems won and...?

Noticed some things in the trading this week - Market shrugged off the Dems win
Except for healthcare and big Pharma both of which went down big on fears the Dems will take them to task on Medicare

Technology jumped up overall on Cisco announcement, but then came down hard (except Cisco and the networkers) that same day - Thursday.

Oil pulled a bit of a Head fake - I sold near the top.
But I'm not convinced Oil is done.
Mild weather and abundent supply are keeping this down for time being. Still bullish but picking my spot.

Overall, one of two scenarios is playing out.

We are either basing or we are topping.

Basing means the market after it's impressive run up, is going sideways and consolidating it's gains.
It usually requires a stimulus to begin another upward trek.
This stimulus could be in the form of the fed announcing a rate cut.
Some think the Govt. announcing a firm date for pull out of Iraq could do it (I don't)

I think this unlikely also due to the political cycle. In the past, the year after midterms is typically a down year.
The market usually ramp up begining the November prior to the next presidential election.

If we are topping, (similar to basing if you look at a chart) it means the markets have reached a point where there is no more buying, but there is no selling either. Volume drop is a good indicator as is lower amount of companies reaching their 52 week highs. This market has not had any type of sustantial sell off for quite a while and this is very dangerous. The healthiest markets follow a pattern of gain, retracement then gain.

Markets that go parabloic up, fall hard - hence my bearish views.

It's a tough call - We are in, typically, the best season (Nov. through Jan) to own stocks, and yet the feeling we are overdue for this correction hangs over us.

I'm still all cash - and will stay so till the market gives me a clear signal one way or the other