ALCS: Detroit vs. Oakland (Warning: Crap load of photos)

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

ALCS: Detroit vs. Oakland (Warning: Crap load of photos)

Post by Shoalzie »

The majority of the pundits out there are calling for the A's to win this series. I think that plays perfectly for the Tigers and how they've embraced the underdog role. Two balanced pitching staffs and two solid lineups going head-to-head. Not as sexy as Yankees-Red Sox but I think these two clubs match up well with each other. The Tigers took 5 of the 9 regular season meetings. The A's hit only .229 as a team in those 9 games but hit 12 home runs and averaged over 4 runs a game. By no means do they present the same problems that the Yankees put forth. They did have a .340 OBP as a team and they draw a lot of walks. The Yankees were a team that worked the count and were patient at the plate but when the Tigers pitching came to life, they began to swing at bat pitches and got themselves out on most occasions. Swisher was 6th in the AL in walks and was tied for the 4th for most strikeouts. The A's will be without their starting middle infield of Crosby and Ellis. Scutaro had a strong series against Minnesota with 6 RBI including that key bases-clearing double in Game 3. The Twins actually hit for a better average than the A's in the ALDS. The Tigers hit .309 as a team against the Yankees and during the year, scored 52 runs and hit .297 in the 9 games against the A's in the regular season. I don't doubt the Tigers ability to be able to hit the A's pitching. To me, it comes down to the Tigers continuing to play with a chip on their shoulder and if they can take split the games in Oakland and with this being a 2-3-2 series instead of a 2-2-1-1-1...there's a real possibility the series might not make it back to Oakland. The atmosphere at Comerica was unbelievable over the weekend coming off the high of the on-field celebration on Saturday...I feel there's a real connection between the fans and the team and I have a hard time thinking the A's can win at Comerica without getting an unbelievable pitching performance. The Tigers bats are coming alive and they have a healthy lineup. I just don't see the A's being able to match the Tigers intensity and the city of Detroit should prepare for their first World Series appearance in 22 years.

Tigers in 5

Go Tigers!
Last edited by Shoalzie on Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

The Tigers looked awfully good agin' the Yanks, and I wasn't able to catch much of the other ALDS, but they did sweep the Twinkies, who were playing a lot better than the Tigers down the stretch.

I'll just take the A's in 6 as a sentimental choice. I was able to go to 3 games in Oaktown during the 72 series against the Reds (OK, I'm old). Catfish Hunter pitched his perfect game on my 12th birfday, and I was listening on my Heathkit radio.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Oakland in 7
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Kiss goodbye to Casey. You see that calf snap?
Racer X
Curmudgeon

Post by Racer X »

.....and when they let go lie that, you can HEAR them. OUCH!

That is a loss for sure. Just imagine getting that far, having yo9ur team make it to the WS, and not being able to take the field. I feel for that dude.

Tigers in 5
old,old,old school #33
organized religion is a cancer.
I am THE infidel, coo coo ca choo!
GO TIGERS!
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

I like the Tigers.

and you say, Not as sexy as Yankees-Red Sox ..

Come on, what is sexier in sports than the ultimate underdog going for the BIG PRIZE!!

Last year they LOST 91 games, this year they WON 95 games.

and while the Yankees have the most famous Rodriguez in baseball, the Tigers have the Rodriguez who can lead his team and come through in the clutch.

Tigers in 6.

then on to the World Series!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Not the prettiest 5-1 win I've ever seen but they got the job done. I wanted a split at least in Oakland and they can damn near put the A's in a sleeper hold with a win in Game 2 tonight and three straight back at Comerica. By no means did I look at last night's game like it was a dominant win or a decisive win...the A's blew a lot of chances and the Tigers got the majority of the offense in 2 innings. The opportunity was there for the A's to get back into the game. The middle relief quieted the Tigers' bats and they seemed to get 2 guys on base during most innings themselves. The stat that could ultimately kill them is hitting with RISP. They are 3 for 35 as a team in four games in the playoffs. If the A's chip in a run or two for a few innings, that's a different game. Robertson wasn't great last night but he's a different pitcher when he's spotted a lead of a few runs. The formula for success in these last 3 three wins has been scoring early, getting 5-6 strong innings from the starter and then turning it over to the pen and preserving the win. Tonight, get 6 strong innings from Verlander, get to Loaiza and make Macha use his middle relief early again and then throw Zumaya in the 7th and 8th and Jones in the 9th...go home with a commanding 2-0 lead and force the A's to take at least 2 of 3 back at that madhouse in Detroit.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Great game 1 performance. Robertson pitched out of jams in seemingly each of his 5 innings. Inge got hot 3-3 with a walk, awesome from the 9 slot.

Game 2 becomes a must win for the A's. If Verlander has his good stuff the Tigs may come home up 2-zip, with the next 3 at the CoPa.

Go get 'em Tigers!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Forgot about the Casey injury...heard he was out tonight and the plan is to put Guillen at first and Perez at short. Could be interesting going forward if Casey is done and they've got to work with a 24 man roster for the rest of this series and they won't have a natural 1B available. Maybe in the World Series they have put Shelton on the active roster...can't get too far ahead of myself though. Leyland hasn't had to use his bench so far but having 3 light-hitting middle infielders and a mediocre hitting corner outfielder as your backups...they can't really afford an injury, especially to a position they are thin at which is first base. Add to that, he's one of the few lefty bats on the team. Hopefully he just misses tonight's game and he's not out longterm.
Tinker to Evers to Chance
Crack Whore

Post by Tinker to Evers to Chance »

I had the misfortune of watching Neifi as an everyday player for two years.

You guys are screwed.
Bizzarofelice wrote:
Goddamned Cubsfan.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sure there were heavy hearts at the ballpark last night with the untimely passing of Cory Lidle but both teams came out swinging. The A's, primarily Kotsay and Bradley, carried their offense early on and put the pressure on the Tigers and Verlander. To their credit, they had answers for both mini-rallies and ultimately pulled ahead to stay with that 4 run inning. Much like in Game 1, the A's had chances to cut into the lead or take the lead but they fell short. It's 2-0 but it's not a resounding 2-0. The Tigers have done just enough to be ahead going to home for three games. There's snow on the ground here in West Michigan, who knows what we'll see this weekend from a weather standpoint. Leyland makes the right move by starting Gomez at DH since he is a left-handed bat...another hero on a different night. RACK the Tigers on taking both games in Oakland...pressure falls squarely on the A's to win 2 of 3 in Comerica just to stay alive. I see that being a very tall task for any team. I'm biased of course but I just think there's something surrounding this team...War winning Game 3 and I could watch them clinch the pennant on Saturday.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:I'm sure there were heavy hearts at the ballpark last night with the untimely passing of Cory Lidle but both teams came out swinging.
When did you get a job for ESPN?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I'm sure there were heavy hearts at the ballpark last night with the untimely passing of Cory Lidle but both teams came out swinging.
When did you get a job for ESPN?

Don't tell me both team didn't at least think about Lidle just a little bit. He played for the A's and they had a Lidle jersey in their dugout. I know ESPN played this up way bigger of an event than it was...a Major League player still died yesterday. You have to wonder if it was Devil Ray or a Royal that died, would ESPN play it up like they did but any reason to talk about the Yankees, ESPN will jump at the opportunity.
Racer X
Curmudgeon

Post by Racer X »

I think George had him killed to clear cap room.

(p.s. A-Rod would have missed the building completely)
old,old,old school #33
GO TIGERS!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

old,old,old school #33
You forgot to add 'tard in between the comma's.

What a putz.
Racer X
Curmudgeon

Post by Racer X »

mmm hmm. And you would be?

Oh wait! I think I supposed to say, "I know you are, but what am I" next.
Ok, go aheard. I think I'm getting this "smack" thing now.
old,old,old school #33
GO TIGERS!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

One step closer to the fall classic...

Kenny was awesome again...the guy is clearly on a mission. I think this whole team wants the big prize but there's something in Rogers that seems to me like he wants it the most. The city of Detroit is starving for this as well...I get to be among the 40,000+ at Comerica tomorrow along with my dad and we hope to be witnessing a piece of baseball history, a league pennant clinching win. I can't imagine what it'll be like if the Tigers take care of business for another 9 innings...what kind of a party will ensue at the ballpark with them clinching a spot in the World Series. I'll be perfectly honest, with the way the Tigers are playing, I don't worry about who they'll face in the World Series...I'm thrilled that they're there but also, this team almost seems destined to finish the job. Gotta get that fourth win of the series tomorrow before I get too far ahead of myself. Can't wait for tomorrow afternoon...the first time my dad and I have been to a Tigers game together...should be a special day all around.

GO TIGERS!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:Kenny was awesome again...the guy is clearly on a mission.
Didn't you get the memo? Nothing he's done/will do in the post season will count because he's a big ol' scary mean jerk. And he's rude too. And doesn't say nice things.

Sin,

All the dipshits who look toward pro athletes as model individuals
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Rack Shoalzie and Pops. This is the essence of baseball...fathers and sons.

I hope the Tigs close it out for you.

Go Tigers!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Magical night at the ballpark. Sat in the last damn row of the upper deck but had the time of my life. What an atmosphere and what a moment to witness in person...TigerFan is ready for the World Series. I must've given high-fives to probably 40 or 50 random people as we were exiting the park...unbelievable energy and excitement when that ball cleared the wall and the party began. One week off until Game 1...the one thing this does for the Tigers is that Zumaya has time to rest his wrist. Can't wait for next Saturday...gonna effort to get Game 1 or 2 tickets but it'll be tough to get 'em.

Go Tigers!
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

Post by Kansas City Kid »

How many people died in the riots that no doubt ensued in downtown Detroit after the HR Saturday night? I remember in '84 a senior citizens bus got overturned and usually 30-40 people are killed every time a Detroit team wins (or loses) in the post-season.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Shoalzie wrote:Magical night at the ballpark. Sat in the last damn row of the upper deck but had the time of my life. What an atmosphere and what a moment to witness in person...TigerFan is ready for the World Series. I must've given high-fives to probably 40 or 50 random people as we were exiting the park...unbelievable energy and excitement when that ball cleared the wall and the party began. One week off until Game 1...the one thing this does for the Tigers is that Zumaya has time to rest his wrist. Can't wait for next Saturday...gonna effort to get Game 1 or 2 tickets but it'll be tough to get 'em.

Go Tigers!

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Viva Los Tigres!!!!!!!!
Defense wins championships.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Kansas City Kid wrote:How many people died in the riots that no doubt ensued in downtown Detroit after the HR Saturday night? I remember in '84 a senior citizens bus got overturned and usually 30-40 people are killed every time a Detroit team wins (or loses) in the post-season.

I didn't hear of any problems and I walked with the crowd as it left the park...just a lot of happy people. Sorry to disappoint you...I know how much you and the rest of the Detroit haters would've loved it if TigerFan tore the city down after just winning the pennant. We'll see what happens in two weeks...
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

C'mon, Shoalzie, you know as well as I do that it wasn't TigerFan as much as "Crack Addict," "Pimp," "White Trash from Sterling Heights," and "Pot Dealer" who tore the city apart in '84. You didn't see "whitey" from Northville or Bloomfield Hills going apeshit!
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Kansas City Kid wrote:How many people died in the riots that no doubt ensued in downtown Detroit after the HR Saturday night? I remember in '84 a senior citizens bus got overturned and usually 30-40 people are killed every time a Detroit team wins (or loses) in the post-season.
Most ignorant post ever!!!

Since the 84 Title there have been 3 Stanley Cup celebrations, 3 NBA titles, all without incident you bumpkin fuck. The ensuing parades routinely draw over a million people...still without incident.

Senior Citizen bus incident is a flat out lie. Yeah some cars got overturned and a couple small fires...23 fucking years ago. The city has since become accustomed to championship celebrations

Go Fuck Yourself. What would KC know about titles?

edit to add....click on video of alcs. you will see some street celebrations right outside the ballpark. continue fucking yourself.
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 050/SPORTS
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

Yeah, I noticed what great fans you have there in Detroit during that Pistons-Pacers riot. :meds: Why is Detroit known as the "Murder City," Hillbilly? Most white trash and filth than any city on earth. Downtown they had to put up fake business fronts and rounded up all the bums and crack addicts during Superbowl Week and actually PAID people to walk around and act nice to out-of-towners!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Nice city you got there!!!!!!

Regardless of some carnival you attended in the 'burbs, downtown Detroilet burns and has riots EVERY time a Detroilet team wins OR loses a championship.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Kansas City Kid wrote:Downtown they had to put up fake business fronts and rounded up all the bums and crack addicts during Superbowl Week and actually PAID people to walk around and act nice to out-of-towners!!!
Link?
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Kansas City Kid wrote:Regardless of some carnival you attended in the 'burbs, downtown Detroilet burns and has riots EVERY time a Detroilet team wins OR loses a championship.
This is just flat wrong.

Did you watch the video? Dumbass. Part of it was shot right outside the yard immediatly following the clincher, I see no riot activity or fights, nor have any been reported. Nice sweeping generalization troll. When you get a sports championship in your shittown let me know.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Kansas City Kid wrote:Yeah, I noticed what great fans you have there in Detroit during that Pistons-Pacers riot. :meds: Why is Detroit known as the "Murder City," Hillbilly? Most white trash and filth than any city on earth. Downtown they had to put up fake business fronts and rounded up all the bums and crack addicts during Superbowl Week and actually PAID people to walk around and act nice to out-of-towners!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Nice city you got there!!!!!!

Regardless of some carnival you attended in the 'burbs, downtown Detroilet burns and has riots EVERY time a Detroilet team wins OR loses a championship.

Jealous much?
Defense wins championships.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Blitzkrieg wrote:Pictures, pictures, pictures.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

WolverineSteve wrote:
Kansas City Kid wrote:Regardless of some carnival you attended in the 'burbs, downtown Detroilet burns and has riots EVERY time a Detroilet team wins OR loses a championship.
This is just flat wrong.

Did you watch the video? Dumbass. Part of it was shot right outside the yard immediatly following the clincher, I see no riot activity or fights, nor have any been reported. Nice sweeping generalization troll. When you get a sports championship in your shittown let me know.
Let's see some footage from more than a block around the stadium, where all of the rest of the slum known as Detroilet sprawls out. We'll see fires, cars upside down, and murders. Worst city in America.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Shut your fucking mouth. I was down town blocks away from the stadium and it was fine. Go fist yourself.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Thanks for the pix, Shoalz. Glad you had a good time and enjoy it while it lasts. All the kids I know are pulling for you guys!

Nice looking baseball crib y'all got there, too.
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

Killian wrote:I was down town blocks away from the stadium getting fisted by Cecil Fielder.
:shock:
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Kansas City Kid wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:
This is just flat wrong.

Let's see some footage from more than a block around the stadium, where all of the rest of the slum known as Detroilet sprawls out. We'll see fires, cars upside down, and murders. Worst city in America.
When I think of cosmopolitan I think of Kansas City.
Those who stay will be champions.
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

You read Cosmopolitan? Figures.............. :meds:
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Great pics Shoalzie. I'll be around the yard Saturday and at the game Sunday...the pics got me fired up already!!
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

Blitzkrieg wrote:
Kansas City Kid wrote:Yeah, I noticed what great fans you have there in Detroit during that Pistons-Pacers riot. :meds: Why is Detroit known as the "Murder City," Hillbilly? Most white trash and filth than any city on earth. Downtown they had to put up fake business fronts and rounded up all the bums and crack addicts during Superbowl Week and actually PAID people to walk around and act nice to out-of-towners!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Nice city you got there!!!!!!

Jealous much?
You bet I am!!! My team (the Cubs) has the most pathetic streak of ALL TIME of not making it happen. Hell, even the freaking RED SOX and WHITE SOX broke their strings of futility! The Royals haven't sniffed the playoffs in over 20 years. Bitter? YOU BET!!!!!!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

rack the pics, shoalz.