Time to collect, YankeeFan...

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Time to collect, YankeeFan...

Post by Shoalzie »

Awesome...something just clicked and they didn't look back. Bring on the A's!

Wear it until the last out is recorded in the World Series...
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

RACK the Tigers.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Nice sig.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Nice sig.

I admit, I started putting that together after the fourth inning...
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Rack it. Props to the Tigers. Joe Torre and that collection of no heart stiffs need to walk back to NY. I'd be releasing every pitcher except Mo and Wang right now. Lyons had it nailed when he said they have no guy like O'Neil who get in someone's face.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

JCT...I've been saying that since O'Neil retired. They have no fucking heart. A-Rod, Unit, etc....fuck em all. Get rid of Sheff, A-Rod, Johnson, Mussina, Wright, Pavano, all that middle relief.....Jesus they suck. Rack the Tigers.
Seeing the Tigers and A's in the ALCS proves that money doesn't guarantee sqaut.

Rack the Tigers. I'll wear my own sig for a while.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I like mine better but as long as you wear that one until the end of the World Series...I'll allow it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Only if Steinbrenner could figure out a way to buy chemistry.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Only if Steinbrenner could figure out a way to buy chemistry.
Does he have Victor Conte's number?
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Props to the Tigers.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Actually, you guys got it wrong. The one who needs to go is Steinbrenner. He's a cancer, plain and simple. If he truly cares about winning, he will sell the team.

Before Steinbrenner: 20 World Series championships in 69 years (one every 3.45 years).

Since Steinbrenner: 6 World Series championships in 33 years (one every 5.5 years). And it's not a coincidence that 4 of those 6 occurred shortly after Steinbrenner received his lifetime, ERRR, two-year, ban.

Props to the Tigers. I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Re: Time to collect, YankeeFan...

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Shoalzie wrote:Awesome...something just clicked and they didn't look back. Bring on the A's!

Wear it until the last out is recorded in the World Series...

Things are indeed sweet in Tigertown. After game one I was sweating having to roll with a Yankees logo, or something just as gay, for a few weeks.

War good pitching kicking the shite out of good hitting.
Defense wins championships.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Actually, you guys got it wrong. The one who needs to go is Steinbrenner. He's a cancer, plain and simple. If he truly cares about winning, he will sell the team.

Before Steinbrenner: 20 World Series championships in 69 years (one every 3.45 years).

Since Steinbrenner: 6 World Series championships in 33 years (one every 5.5 years). And it's not a coincidence that 4 of those 6 occurred shortly after Steinbrenner received his lifetime, ERRR, two-year, ban.
I don't know if this is entirely fair.

Pre George era was mostly 12 teams with no playoff rounds, only WS.

Has any other team won 6 titles in the last 33 years?

I would bet the fans of at least 25 other teams would love to have a spender like George in charge of their team.

Most people who hate the Yankees do so because George keeps the playing field tilted in the Yankees favor most years.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Loganfan
Anti-Spam Fan

Post by Loganfan »

WolverineSteve wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Actually, you guys got it wrong. The one who needs to go is Steinbrenner. He's a cancer, plain and simple. If he truly cares about winning, he will sell the team.

I don't know if this is entirely fair.

Pre George era was mostly 12 teams with no playoff rounds, only WS.

Has any other team won 6 titles in the last 33 years?

I would bet the fans of at least 25 other teams would love to have a spender like George in charge of their team.

Most people who hate the Yankees do so because George keeps the playing field tilted in the Yankees favor most years.

Wyrd.
George may make some bad decisions.....especially lately, but he's ALWAYS willing to spend top dollar to try to improve his team. Now if he could only accept a couple down years and not rape his minor league system with trades.......
R.I.P. Dennard/BP/Scritti
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Didn't expect TiC of all people to compare apples to flying elephants.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Anyone seen the biggest Yankee diehard of all-Milkcartonsdale?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Say what you want about George and the payroll but they at least put themselves in a position to win every year. When was the last time the Yankees went into the season not being considered a divsion winner, a team that could make the playoffs or a title contender? It seems like an annual thing for quite a while. I never had a problem with their payroll or spending back in the mid-90s when they had those excellent teams and they'd make the key acquisitions to put them over the top. Right now, they're just a fat cat that is getting fatter. They are out of control with how they seem to have endless resources and in these last handful of years, haven't had nearly the return for their investment. If you spend that much money ($1.2 billion in the last 5 or 6 years)...you've got win a championship. I think most would've thought they'd have the talent to win it all but maybe the players they had weren't right mix like it was about 10 years ago in their glory years. They won with guys like Tino Martinez, Scott Brosius, Paul O'Neill, and Jim Leyritz. None of these guys made $15-20 million a year. They were the right players to go along with the superstars like Jeter and their pitching staff always had balance but never really had a Cy Young contender with Rivera at the end to put the game on ice. They were strong top to bottom while now, they're mostly top heavy with little in the way of depth and versatility and they don't have those gritty role players that most champions possess. I don't know if trimming salary is gonna mean anything...they'll probably spend more this winter or at least replace free agents with players of similar value. They'll let guys like Sheffield and Mussina walk and go get Zito, Schmidt and another bat. I'll never feel sorry for them when they have the resources they have. They're always under the most pressure to win because they put it on themselves. I don't care if it's New York...when you spend $100-200 million on players, you better do something with them or you're just flushing the equivalent of a small country's GNP down the crapper.

I frankly don't give a crap what the media says most of the time but it's so funny that the Tigers kick the hell out of the Yankees and the talk has been since last night about how the Yankees failed and what they're going to do now. I've seen the BBTN crew talk for like 2 minutes about Tigers-A's. Tigers have scoreboard, that's all that matters...hopefully this Yankee crap will calm down once the series starts Tuesday. I highly doubt it but it would be nice if the two teams that deserve attention get their proper ink and air time. I'm sure the A's and Tigers would almost prefer to be ignored and they can do their thing. Deal with it ESPN, the Yankees lost and the Red Sox didn't make the playoffs. Two teams that are built the right way are playing for a spot in the World Series...sorry that isn't more compelling than talking about another Yankee flop.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

WolverineSteve wrote:Has any other team won 6 titles in the last 33 years?
Puh-leeze.

If I had Steinbrenner's jack, a 30-plus year run, and the most storied franchise in baseball history, this team would have won at least twice as many World Series over that period.

And most of the people, at least on this board, who hate George the most are Yankee fans. Doesn't that tell you something?
Shoalzie wrote:I frankly don't give a crap what the media says most of the time but it's so funny that the Tigers kick the hell out of the Yankees and the talk has been since last night about how the Yankees failed and what they're going to do now. I've seen the BBTN crew talk for like 2 minutes about Tigers-A's. Tigers have scoreboard, that's all that matters...hopefully this Yankee crap will calm down once the series starts Tuesday. I highly doubt it but it would be nice if the two teams that deserve attention get their proper ink and air time.
I can't speak for the entire media, of course, but at least on this board, it seems to me that it's happened because a bunch of people who have no horse in this particular race have seen fit to chime in and knock the Yankees. It's like these people get more excited when the Yankees lose than they do when their team, whoever that may be, actually wins on a rare occasion.

Positively Babs-ian, that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Yankees are the most polarizing team in sports given their history and their overall scope in sports. I don't really root against them but I certainly enjoy seeing another team beat them. That World Series with the Marlins taking them down was pretty cool. The 2001 World Series against Arizona was probably the best series since Braves-Twins. I can't say I rooted against the Yankees in that one but I did pull the snakes in Game 7. They're a lightning rod for attention...they fall into that group of topics/players/teams that get crammed down the collective nation's throats. Whether it's Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, Kobe Bryant, Mike Tyson, the Yankees and Red Sox, the Cowboys, Notre Dame football, Duke basketball, steroids...these things always seem to find the front page or make the lead story. Most people who don't follow or root for them just get sick of them and would just assume see all of them disappear. If the media coverage today wasn't so out of control, I don't know if the Yankees would be hated as much. I don't hear the same venom directed at the Boston Celtics or the Montreal Canadiens...two franchises with just as much history and domination. However, the Yankees stay relevant from year-to-year with what they do on and off the field. The Yankees and some of those names I mentioned pretty much transcend sports...they are known by more than just sports fans. They've entered the realm of pop culture. Not everyone likes the Yankees...it's something the good fans of the Yankees will have to deal with because it's not like things are going to cool down any time soon.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

You can't put this one on Steinbrenner.

As an owner, your job is to assemble a team that puts itself in position to win a WS.

He did just that. And he did it with relative ease.

It isn't as if NY was fighting for a spot down the stretch. They were arguably the AL's best team. Arguably MLB's best team.

Once the postseason starts, it's up to the players to execute, and it's up to the coaches to get the players to execute. As an owner, you can only sit back and watch at that point. At some point, you need your guys to do what you're paying them to do when it counts most.

Torre made some very questionable decisions, especially as they related to the starting pitchers. You should NEVER be in a position where Wright is pitching in an elimination game. That's a scenario you need to play out in your head way ahead of time. And keeping RJ out there longer than he should be knowing he's having herniated disc problems. Hell, having him out there at all was a mistake.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:You can't put this one on Steinbrenner.

I do. It's called Respondeat Superior!- Let the Master Speak. George owns this one.

As an owner, your job is to assemble a team that puts itself in position to win a WS.

He did just that. And he did it with relative ease.

The Yankees spent the Money without doing the research and without doing the development!

Torre made some very questionable decisions, especially as they related to the starting pitchers. You should NEVER be in a position where Wright is pitching in an elimination game. That's a scenario you need to play out in your head way ahead of time. And keeping RJ out there longer than he should be knowing he's having herniated disc problems. Hell, having him out there at all was a mistake.
They were arguably the AL's best team.
- As far as hitting goes, no doubt!! But as far as pitching goes, they were below average.
Yankees Weakness- PITCHING.

And as they say, Good Pitching beats Good Hitting!
You should NEVER be in a position where Wright is pitching in an elimination game.
If you don't pitch Wright, who do you pitch???
And keeping RJ out there longer than he should be knowing he's having herniated disc problems. Hell, having him out there at all was a mistake
Randy Johnson- The signing was done 10 years too late! He will have a good game once every 10 starts. His back is bad. He is not reliable.

Carl Pavano - DNP- Thank GOD and god, the Yankees outbid the Red Sox for this stiff!!

Wang- He is the ACE of the Yankees Staff!! At the beginning of the Season, he was expected to be the 4th or 5th starter. When your ace comes from #4 or #5, You ususally have serious pitching problems.

Mussina- He's a Good #2 or Excellent #3. He is also getting old and showed his age down the stretch.

Who else did Torre have a choice to pitch in Game 3??- Wang was in NY, waiting for Game 4. Hell, I think he is still waiting!!

I like Joe Torre. He is not the problem. The problem is George. He becomes enamored with past performance and puts very little into development of a team. The Yankees were and have been a group of highly talented individuals but have not been a team since 2000.

Name me a better baseball manager than Joe Torre. (aside from Jim Leyland!!)
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Rack the Tigers for being the better team.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?