Nebraska in the national title game?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Husker4ever
Elwood

Nebraska in the national title game?

Post by Husker4ever »

Not to go all Bradhusker here but, after Nebraska "skull-fucked" a decent Troy St. team I have to wonder if the USC game wasn't a deer-in-headlights affair for the Huskers. Sure, Callahan called a pussy game and USC has a freakin' 5 star at every spot 2-deep. But I still think NU is a better squad than the team that gave SC it's toughest game thus far.

I think there is a big drop-off after USC, Ohio State, and Auburn. I think Nebraska can beat any other team past those three. And you have to consider that there's still alot of transition going on in the program. Troy State almost beat FSU and Georgia Tech. Is FSU a fraud? Nope.....still got a loaded roster hindered by shit coaching. I wouldn't call Georgia Tech a fraud, either. I've seen a couple of their games and they look decent.

Callahan might be a fuggin genius when it's all said and done. Consider if NU beats Texas and runs the table (could happen). Say they beat Texas again in the Big 12 championship or possibly Oklahoma (less likely, but still possible) USC drops a couple of PAC 10 games and Ohio State loses to a 2 loss Michigan team. Who plays Auburn for the title? What if Auburn drops one or two in the SEC?

You then have a one loss Nebraska team (lost to USC at USC) in a BCS game. Title game vs. West Virgina? (I can hear the chuckles) A battle hardened Big 12 champion team that lost to a young, but freakishly talented USC team on the road now plays a West Virginia team just waiting to get exposed when they finally run into some competion in a BCS game. (I can really hear the laughing now).

Callahan a genius for keeping the USC game close, not showing many wrinkles offensively, and keeping his team healthy? Knowing his team was going to mature into a monster as the season rollled along? Ganz (backup QB) has been getting lots of snaps (unlike last year) which gives him reps and keeps Taylor healthy.

There are alot of variables and ton on breaks would be needed but hey.....this is college football and stranger shit has happened. A USC vs. Nebraska rematch could even happen. It's going to be fun and hey...a first place finish in the Big 12 North is a step up for Nebraska. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Hey, stranger things have happened.

But when your best argument for a title berth is essentially, "we crushed a team who hung tough with FSU and Georgia Tech," then I'd say your chances are pretty bleak.
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Hey, stranger things have happened.

But when your best argument for a title berth is essentially, "we crushed a team who hung tough with FSU and Georgia Tech," then I'd say your chances are pretty bleak.
True enough but I'd add, "We didn't get bitch-slapped by minor-league NFL/ college all-star team in their crib even though our coach left his balls in Lincoln".

But, getting through the conference schedule unscathed would be a miracle. We all know those battles are toss-ups. Just ask OU about Okie State or Ohio State (last year) about Penn State. I don't see it happening but it would be sweet. Missouri is going to be a war, K-State plays over their heads when they suck against us, and Colorado still has an obsession with us.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Troy State?
:roll:
Whatever.

If you're basing you MNC visions on a victory over Troy State, you've got serious homerism problems.
I think m2 might give you a good argument about Cal.
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

Mikey wrote:Troy State?
Whatever.

If you're basing you MNC visions on a victory over Troy State, you've got serious homerism problems.
Guilty! I ain't had much to cheer about for a couple years. Expect my homerism to get worse if NU wins more than 8 games this year.

Troy State might not be shit in your eyes but I see them as a team capable of beating Florida State. The game film would back me up on that. FSU down? Yeah...but they're still FSU and the sporting world wouldn't feel so much of a tremble if this same, down FSU team beat say, Ohio State. That's significant to me.

Troy State's coach was also quoted in the media as saying he hasn't played a team this good (Nebraska) in all his career. Same guy who's playing top 25 teams right and left for the last 4 or 5 years since joining Div 1. That's also significant to me.

I say we're on the right track and USC is about as good as it gets in college football right now. Nebraska played o.k. on the big stage in LA...deer in headlights/pussy game plan and all.

Fuck it. I'm getting a powerball ticket tonight!
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Besides OSU, Auburn and USC there's still LSU and Texas.

In the case of LSU I really think Nebraska would be doing well to score 10 points.

There is no discernible drop off from Auburn to LSU. Those two teams are about as equal as can be and they'd both crush Nebraska.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mikey wrote:Troy State?
Whatever.

Troy St??

Aside from that incredible performance (at home) against a TOP NOTCH team like Troy St let us not forget our powerhouse wins at home against those two other CF behemoths, La Tech and McNeese St!

3-1, baby!! National title game talk is afoot, and deservedly so! The magic is back! It's cool again to wear overalls and have your goat smell like your sister's hay scented gash! 3-1!! Woohooo!!

Sincerely,
Husker Fan, Yeah, But NOT Some Dink Troll Like Bradhusker

Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

Van,

As soon as the booster fed payroll in Lincoln gets in order, we'll get some of those 5 stars over here. Then the agents will be rolling in to town and Callahan will get some of those "look the other way" kickbacks Carroll enjoys now. Until then, let a man enjoy his myopia minus the dryfucks will ya?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

:-)

My apologies.

But wait a minute here...

Now Husker Fan has Carroll enjoying kickbacks, like he's guilty of being dirty?

That's a new one. Haven't heard any serious discussion from any corner of the CF universe saying Pete is dirty.

Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

Naw, I actually like Carroll for whatever it is about him that I like. Just seems like a guy I would hang with (if I was 20 years older).

I just find it odd he never questioned why his starting RB was enjoying all those "extras" Dude may be laid back but don't tell me he's oblivious to it all.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Husker4ever wrote:
Missouri is going to be a war...
You got that part right at least, so props to you.

Saw where Mizzou just cracked the AP Top 25, and I'm all like "it's about freaking time".

I was up in Council Bluffs last nite. Tried to get a room at a Best Western and they just looked at me like I was crazy, what with the Corn being at home that nite. Even 50 miles away from Lincoln, the folks up there are just freaking nutzoid about that team, and I dig that.

I hate giving props to another teams fanbase, but I can honestly say that home grown Nebraska football fans take a back seat to nobody as being the most passionate supporters of their team in any sport, at any level.

That's what will make it that much sweeter when my Tigers go up there and roll your asses.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I'm sure the USC loss will be Nebraska's first loss of three on their way to the national championship.

Sin,
KalFan
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

War Wagon wrote:
Husker4ever wrote:
Missouri is going to be a war...
You got that part right at least, so props to you.

Saw where Mizzou just cracked the AP Top 25, and I'm all like "it's about freaking time".

I was up in Council Bluffs last nite. Tried to get a room at a Best Western and they just looked at me like I was crazy, what with the Corn being at home that nite. Even 50 miles away from Lincoln, the folks up there are just freaking nutzoid about that team, and I dig that.

I hate giving props to another teams fanbase, but I can honestly say that home grown Nebraska football fans take a back seat to nobody as being the most passionate supporters of their team in any sport, at any level.

That's what will make it that much sweeter when my Tigers go up there and roll your asses.
Yeah, you know we're obsessed when people pay for ads in the local paper like: "Want to buy 4 tickets to NU vs. McNeese State...any seat location"

I'll give Missouri props. I knew they would be competitive but didn't expect a legit top 20 team out of them. It's going to be a fun one and I wish Mizzou well the rest of the season after they limp back to Columbia fresh off a brutal ass-raping. (Brad's in my dome again)
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Nebraska will lose to ISU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Believe the Heupel wrote:And there's no way that a team losing in the Big 12 title game makes a national championship game.
Do you want to fight the Ducksdale?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I stand corrected. It's a bad memory over here.

If the same bad memory is now working right, NU didn't even make it to the Big12 Championship that year, did they? They got hammered the game before by the Big12 Champion, correct?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

minorthreat wrote:Nebraska will lose to ISU.
Only if ISU can score over 50. ISU has a bad defense. Nebraska will score a lot.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Rack ISU for covering in my money game!
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Man, and I thought I was delusional for thinking the Buffs have a look at the Big XII North title...
"Keys, woman!"
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Man, and I thought I was delusional for thinking the Buffs have a look at the Big XII North title...
CU should just forfeit every game from here on out and gear up for the only game that matters to them....Nebraska.

'Bode.
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

Yeah....right after Minorthreat cures cancer with his junior chemistry set using aquired knowledge from ER, CSI, and syndicated McGyver episodes.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Husker4ever wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Man, and I thought I was delusional for thinking the Buffs have a look at the Big XII North title...
CU should just forfeit every game from here on out and gear up for the only game that matters to them....Nebraska.

'Bode.
Hawkins will break out the powder blue jerseys and still ass rape the Corn. He can go 1-11 and his job will be safe, provided he beats N-is-for-knowledge.

As for the Corn: look for them so start looking a LOT more like the Buffs once they start playing Division 1 opponents.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Cuda wrote:
Husker4ever wrote:

'Bode.
Hawkins will break out the powder blue jerseys and still ass rape the Corn. He can go 1-11 and his job will be safe, provided he beats N-is-for-knowledge.

As for the Corn: look for them so start looking a LOT more like the Buffs once they start playing Division 1 opponents.
Man, why would you even go there? At least Nebraska is beating its 1AA opponents.
"Keys, woman!"
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Cornfan will melt hard anyway, trust me
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote: ISU has a bad defense.
Mizzou on the other hand, does not.

#1 Defense in the nation as of now.

Sure, it came against lesser opponents...but still, they'll be bit stiffer a test than Troy's ~ole~ as they watched another romp down the field unmolested.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Holy fuck, I just looked at Mizzou's schedule, and you guys haven't played ANYONE yet (sin, marcus). Shit, after four games, most everyone has had some kind of a test. Aside from that, you don't have to face your conference's best team this year in the regular season, and because of all this, you have a chance at winning 8, maybe 9 games.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

What comes around, goes around.

I'm not going to apologize about that schedule, because in years past, we've stumbled against those same type of teams.

I just want to win the North. Anything else is gravy. I have no illusions about this being a Top 10 team or anything, I just want some progress, and that we are getting.
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

War Wagon wrote:What comes around, goes around.

I'm not going to apologize about that schedule, because in years past, we've stumbled against those same type of teams.

I just want to win the North. Anything else is gravy. I have no illusions about this being a Top 10 team or anything, I just want some progress, and that we are getting.
touche for Nebraska.....progress is all I'm looking for. Can your hear the twisting of panties all over this board (other than Big 12 fan and true fans of college football) as soon as Nebraska is beginning to emerge from hibernation?

I may not be a Notre Dame fan but if they suddenly fell off the face of the earth college football wouldn't be the same. Too bad mongoloids like Cuda couldn't have the same appreciation for tradition.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I appreciate tradition and I guess I'd like to see Nebraska return to some level of prominence but so far an ass kicking on the road sandwiched between three home field scrimmages against some stale donut holes does not an emergence from hibernation make...

Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

I dunno Van....we had a losing season (1st time since the mid-60's) and failed to make a bowl for the first time in like 30 years a couple seasons back. We're coming off a nice bowl win over Michigan so I'd say NU is starting to yawn and stretch a bit. Nebraska has also upgraded the facilities in a way that has west coast kids going, "Daaaaamn!" when they see it, have implemented an NFL training offense, and are still in transition. I'm not too worried.....yet. A win over Texas might get the ball rolling pretty quickly.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yes, it would.

Umm, good luck with that.

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Nebraska in the national title game?

Post by Goober McTuber »

Husker4ever wrote:and Ohio State loses to a 2 loss Michigan team.
I laughed. They'll probably both be unbeaten going into that game.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Husker4ever wrote:I dunno Van....we had a losing season (1st time since the mid-60's) and failed to make a bowl for the first time in like 30 years a couple seasons back. We're coming off a nice bowl win over Michigan so I'd say NU is starting to yawn and stretch a bit. Nebraska has also upgraded the facilities in a way that has west coast kids going, "Daaaaamn!" when they see it, have implemented an NFL training offense, and are still in transition. I'm not too worried.....yet. A win over Texas might get the ball rolling pretty quickly.
Putting Nebraska in the same category as Notre Dame, are you?

I'm neither a fan, nor a hayter of ND, but the Domers have insurmountable bode on the Corn in literally everything to do with college, football, and college football.

Top recruits will choose ND, simply because its ND. The Corn needs "upgraded facilities" to recruit anybody. Welll, that and the offer of a 7-11 of their own so they can rob it anytime they want.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:
Only if ISU can score over 50. ISU has a bad defense. Nebraska will score a lot.

ISU has a young defense. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are bad.

Should be a good game.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

ISU's defense is bad as a result of being young.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Exactly.

Performance determines good/bad. Age is just a factor.

USC has a young defense, but they're not playing badly. ISU has a young defense, and they're playing badly.

GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

Cuda wrote: I'm neither a fan, nor a hayter of ND, but the Domers have insurmountable bode on the Corn in literally everything to do with college, football, and college football except for the fact that Nebraska HAS bode on ND (x2) and leads the alltime series.

ftfy
From the moment we leave the forest, Dan, it's all a givin' up and adjustin'.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Van wrote:Exactly.

USC has a young defense, but they're not playing badly. ISU has a young defense, and they're playing badly.

You're comparing USC's young players to ISU's?
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

GrizBearStare wrote:
Cuda wrote: I'm neither a fan, nor a hayter of ND, but the Domers have insurmountable bode on the Corn in literally everything to do with college, football, and college football except for the fact that Nebraska HAS bode on ND (x2) and leads the alltime series.

ftfy
Rack. It should also be brought up what a pathetic sight (for Domer fan) it was to see touchdown Jesus smiling down on a sea of red in South Bend as Eric Crouch ran the rock down the Irish's throat over and over. Yes it could be said that some Irish fans would sell their mothers for 50 cents.

Cuda brings up the leather helmet/5 national champions per year days in 3.....2.....1....
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

minorthreat wrote:
Van wrote:Exactly.

You're comparing USC's young players to ISU's?
By age, yes.

-Chevy Chase