What can you eat?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Luther
Old Coot

What can you eat?

Post by Luther »

Last night I was watching the Travel Channel. I think the show was called, Bizarre Foods: Asia. The chef/host was this chubby bald headed guy.

Basically this guy goes around SE Asia eating the nastiest looking food you can imagine. He starts out in Tokyo and eats stuff like pig penis, which he said was pretty tasty. He also went to Bangkok and Chiang Mai and ate other bizarre shit. He gnawed on the front leg of a turtle, sausage that was stuffed with assorted organs from a chicken, birds nest soup that was supposed to be expensive. I quickly saw the price tag on a box of 12 nests and it was either 10,000 or 1,000 yen. Anywhere from about 9 bucks up to 90 bucks. Yeah, the nest comes with whatever was in it...bird spit, rotted small creatures etc.

They walked around the market sampling street vendor grub. He said the chicken testicle balls were gnarly and he wouldn't suggest those to anybody. He was eating insects, including a special bat dinner with the locals. Showed them using sticks in their caves to knock them out. They would put them in a bag and return back to the village, where they would fry them up alive. Watched the chef gnawing on the soft under belly of the bat and just below his head. He said he liked it.

There was one thing this guy couldn't eat. Image I think this is the bad boy. The prickly Durian. The chef is with this plantation guy and he has this machete. He splits it open and he first has the chef smell it. Even the plantation guy says the smell is really bad. The chef takes a good sized chunk and pops it in his mouth and chews about twice before his eyes bulged out. Quickly he pulls the durian fruit out of his mouth and winces and says, "Man, I can eat just about anything...but this is horrible." He says it tastes like rotten soft/mushy onions.

When I was in China I thought I would try a few bizarre things, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't do it. Those grasshoppers that were fried up and on the bamboo sticks kind of looked safe, but I still didn't order them. I did have one bite of a bony section of some squid tentacles or something.

I don't know who'd have the hardiest stomach on this board but I'd put my money on any of these five guys:

mvscal...sounds like he's been in a few jungles before and has probably ate shit that you couldn't even spell. I'll bet he's had some type of stew with the head of some type of animal in it.

Dinsdale...Guy definitely is on the fringe and probably has been high/drunk enough times that he's eaten some bizarre shit.

Mister Bushice and OCMike...Bushy has been to the East and probably has experienced a few raw scorpion hearts or something. Mike served on a ship and God knows what he ate.

And lastly, David in Tulsa (dit). You know this guy has.

Can anybody here hang with the Chef in his eating skills?

Not me.

Rip City
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

That shit the Orientals eat is freakin nasty. I wouldnt eat anything over there that didnt have an AMerican name on it.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

The guy with whom I co-teach is an old Army vet who has eaten some weird shit in his travels. One day he revealed to our students (and me) that he'd eaten howler monkey while in Panama.

Monkey meat?!?!

That's just frigging wrong.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Not in.

I could do the crazy stunt part of Fear Factor, but trying to eat a cow's rectum or a hissing cockroach would make me boot chunks in Joe Rogan's face.
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

Well Jsc, that just about made me hurl.

Rip City
The phantorino
Elwood

What can you eat?

Post by The phantorino »

Cicero wrote: I wouldnt eat anything over there that didnt have an AMerican name on it.
What like, Nachos, Quesadillas, and Hummous?
Luther Wrote:
a butt load of people who sit in those small cubicles pretending to work while submitting a "take."
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Probably the most exotic thing I've ever eaten was a mezcal worm. After that, rattlesnake chili at the old Texas Paniolo Cafe on Oahu. I've been to Rawhide in Scottsdale, where they have "Rocky Mountain oysters" on the appetizer menu, but I wasn't sure I wanted to be stuck with the whole plate if Mom and Dad didn't like 'em, and especially if I didn't as well.

:lol:
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

We had a doc from Thailand in our lab years ago, Nice guy. Before he went back to his native land, he insisted on taking us to a Thai place for dinner. We let him order the food for us.

He knew I was of Italian heritage, so he ordered a squid dish for me. Yes, I like calamari, but I wasn't expecting the weirdass shit they brought to me.

They brought me fried squid, but instead of getting the typical rings made from slicing the head, they freaking brought me the whole damned thing, "frozen" in deep fried agony. The critters were in various twisted shapes, suckered tentacles all sticking out in the throes of cephalopod agony, in a big pile. It looked like "aquatic death scene" art.

I shrugged, dipped the mini "Faces of Death" artwork in some kind of red sauce and ate 'em.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

In the age of Mad-Cow, Mad-Squirrel, Chronic Wasting Disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, (et al) there's no way in hell I'd eat neural tissue of any kind.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Luther wrote:Well Jsc, that just about made me hurl.

Rip City
Go rent the movie Faces of Death. They have a scene where they bash the live monkey head with little hammers around the table with the hole in it. Then they cut the scalp open and pick the brain out directly and eat it. One lady spits it out. When my brother and I were kids, mom and dad rented it for us. How sweet of them.

Of course, it is supposed to be fake, but it is not portrayed that way. Looks pretty damn real...at least it did when I was a kid.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

...mom and dad rented it for us.
Who were your parents? Mr. and Mrs. Dahmer?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mr. and Mrs. I Don't Watch What My Kids Watch

I was like 9 and my brother was 11 I believe. He heard about it from someone and asked if they would rent it. We watched it in horror.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Warm Childhood Memories from the Indyfrisco Household:

Kids: Mom, Dad, can we rent Faces of Death?

Dad: Whatcha you think, honey? The cover box looks harmless enough.

Mom: I dunno. The box reads, "A journey into the depths of depravity to some of the most bizarre and grisly death experiences ever recorded." I'm not sure if it's adequate family fare.

Dad: You don't want 'em to turn out queer, do ya?

Kids: Can we, huh, can we, PULLLEAASE?

Mom: I'm not sure. Those "Fun at the Slaughterhouse" children's books you brought home last month caused Junior to pee the bed.

Dad: We can't mollycoddle them forever, Dolores.

Mom: Well jumping into their room in the middle of the night to show off your new chainsaw and hockey mask set didn't help them sleep any.

Kids: PULLEASE, Mom, PULLEASE!

Mom: You promise not to eviscerate any more goddamn dogs?

Kids: WE PROMISE, WE PROMISE!

Mom: And no more begging me for Manson Family trading cards?

Kids: WE PROMISE!

Mom: If I find any more entrails or human skulls in your knapsacks these videos go straight back to the truckstop, you understand?

kids: WE UNDERSTAND.

Mom: Okay, you can rent them. And honey, grab one of them there family-sized tubs of Skoal.

Dad: You got it, darlin.

Kids: YEEE-HAWWW!
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

tripe--snails--had raccoon once--
Cambodian dude I knew always wanted
locusts (grasshoppers)--I caught a bag full
of them and told him to "chow down" !!
If you were hungry enough, you'd eat almost
anything---being thirsty is worse-- drinking
out of puddles just isn't safe !
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mom took me to the movies with her and her sister one day. Friday the 13th. I was 7 at the time.

She spent the whole movie with her hand over my eyes. I'm not making this shit up.
Last edited by indyfrisco on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

what-----------no ewell gibbons reset?
mvscals blow monkey spunk
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

RACK UF
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Mom took me to the movies with her and her sister one day. Friday the 13th. I was 7 at the time.

She spent the whole movie with her hand over my eyes. I'm not making this shit up.
Was that before or after you all had the family reunion on the Jerry Springer Show? I remember your Ma from the "Shoes start a-flyin" segment.

"Look, I done told ya that Dolores aint here right now. She and her sister Raydene took little Indy down to the movie picture house to see the My Bloody Valentine/I Spit On Your Grave double feature."
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Mike served on a ship and God knows what he ate.
The worst thing they ever served on the ship was Salmon Loaf and Hungarian Goulash. Naturally, they almost always served both of these entrees together so you didn't have some easy out like a grilled cheese sammich or something.

The craziest thing I ever saw (but didn't eat) was in Thailand. Some guy with all of his fingers chopped off at the knuckle (that's what they do to those that steal from tourists) was selling "monkey on a stick". It was a deep fried batter-dipped monkey that was about 6" tall with a stick shoved up it's ass and a face twisted in just-boiled-in-oil agony. Dude gave us the hard sell, telling us that it was the local delicacy, but I just couldn't do it. Less monkey tempura over here, thanks.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Barbecued rattlesnake is about as far as I've gone in the wierd food department (it wasn't bad).

The weird stuff that other people subject themselves to consuming, for whatever reason, doesn't really bother me. The fact that half of the shit is raw, however, does.

Fuck that.

If I'm ever to the point of being so desperate that I'm going to have to eat monkey brains or raccoon liver or whatnot in order to survive, I'm at the very least lighting a campfire and cooking it.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

mvscal wrote:
Wolfman wrote:--snails--
Are snails really "weird food", though? Escargot is fucking good shit. Better than oysters or mussels.
escargot is all about the garlic and buttah
mvscals blow monkey spunk
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

Uncle Fester wrote:Warm Childhood Memories from the Indyfrisco Household:

Kids: Mom, Dad, can we rent Faces of Death?

Dad: Whatcha you think, honey? The cover box looks harmless enough.

Mom: I dunno. The box reads, "A journey into the depths of depravity to some of the most bizarre and grisly death experiences ever recorded." I'm not sure if it's adequate family fare.

Dad: You don't want 'em to turn out queer, do ya?

Kids: Can we, huh, can we, PULLLEAASE?

Mom: I'm not sure. Those "Fun at the Slaughterhouse" children's books you brought home last month caused Junior to pee the bed.

Dad: We can't mollycoddle them forever, Dolores.

Mom: Well jumping into their room in the middle of the night to show off your new chainsaw and hockey mask set didn't help them sleep any.

Kids: PULLEASE, Mom, PULLEASE!

Mom: You promise not to eviscerate any more goddamn dogs?

Kids: WE PROMISE, WE PROMISE!

Mom: And no more begging me for Manson Family trading cards?

Kids: WE PROMISE!

Mom: If I find any more entrails or human skulls in your knapsacks these videos go straight back to the truckstop, you understand?

kids: WE UNDERSTAND.

Mom: Okay, you can rent them. And honey, grab one of them there family-sized tubs of Skoal.

Dad: You got it, darlin.

Kids: YEEE-HAWWW!
I cant believe we haven't gotten a big RACK for that touching family vignette
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Holy smokes, RACK Fester.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

I've eaten at Arby's. Does that count?
"I see everything twice!"