Who's Your Team?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Who's Your Team?

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I know we've done this before, but with all the bandwaggoning smack that's gone around lately, and a new mix of posters from various boards, I thought maybe we should do it again. And I know I could've posted this topic at each of the various boards, but it's easier to post it once here and use the thread as sort of a clearinghouse.

Mine:

NFL: 49ers.
MLB: Yankees.
NBA: Lost interest after the 98-99 work stoppage, so I can't really say that I have a team. If I have to have a team, give me the Knicks based on past loyalty.
NHL: Lost interest after the 04-05 work stoppage, so I can't really say that I have a team. If I have to have a team, give me the Rangers based on past loyalty.
College football: Notre Dame.
College basketball: Notre Dame.

Yours?
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Apathy riddled Redskins fan
Apathy riddled Caps fan

Warming up to the 'Nats still.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Re: Who's Your Team?

Post by Mister Bushice »

Mine:

MLB: Giants
NBA: WGARA.
NHL: When I was a kid, The Boston Bruins, but I haven't really watched or followed it in a long time.
College football: Notre Dame.
College basketball: No specific team. Like to watch it, though.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

RACK Terry's money fucking list, even though he forgot Brazil in Soccer and Carolina in the NHL. I suppose I can let him slide once without severe reprocussions.

-Dins

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Mine:

:?

WTF? You bang ALL new york teams professionally, except the Giants/Jets?

Explain.

NFL: Raiders
MLB: Angels
NBA: Lakers
CFB: USC

Dont watch Hockey.

Basically, I root for my hometown teams growing up. (Except the Angels-my father was a Dodger fan but hardly went to games as he thought of baseball as a far second to football, my mother loved baseball and liked basketball and would take me to Angel/Laker Games games growing up. Father had season tix to the Raiders for many years, and took me to USC games)
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

nhl blues
mlb cardinals
nba noone, was ahuge david robinson fan, favorite moment was when he schooled the greek seikaly at the carrier dome(navy vs syracuse)

nfl buccs went to st.pete/clearwater area as kids every year, and would go to a game while in town. lived in cocoaa beach for 2 years and had season tix at the new sombrero

cfb mizzou
cfbb mizzou/st.louis
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

NFL: Broncos
MLB: Cardinals
NBA: Unwatchable
NHL: Don't care
College football Boise State and Notre Dame
College basketball Gonzaga

Double AA Shreveport Swamp Dragons
get out, get out while there's still time
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

NFL: Miami

NCAA football: USC

NBA: The Kings, I guess

College hoops: Ruined for me these days. I guess if I had to pick I root for Louisville and North Carolina.

Baseball: As a lifer Pirates fan baseball's also ruined for me now in terms of having any remaining deep loyalties. Too much Bud Selig. Too many labor disputes. Too large of a chasm between baseball's Haves and Have Nots. Too much bitching about steroids.

The game of baseball is still a great game, if we're talking Fall baseball and even the small time baseball of Bob Uecker's "Major Leagues".

About all I root for now are teams within rivalries, like the Yankees-Red Sox and Dodgers-Giants.

Hockey: Montreal, though I couldn't care less

Dunno how it happened but somehow, somewhere along the way the NBA managed to become the only major professional sport that still keeps me rooting hard at various times.

The NFL is just unwatchable anymore, and pretty much has been since the advent of "enforced parity".

College football and the NBA, they are all that's really left for me. College football will probably always be my #1, simply because there's no forced parity, no free agancy, no contract squabbles, no labor stoppages, no salary cap/luxury tax motivated roster firesales and, most of all, rivalries matter more in coollge football than in any other American sport.

No matter the season, no matter what else is going on, USC-ND, Michigan-OSU, 'Bama-Auburn, Texas-OU and a hundred other long standing rivalries will always matter.

Time will always stand still in the Fall...

That being said though, even college football is also hurtling headlong towards irrelevancy for me, just like college hoops has, and for the same reason: too many underclassmen leaving early is diluting the sport and ruining rivalries. There's less and less continuity now and with so many more key underclassmen leaving early these days the key re-match games either don't come off at all or, if they do, they've lost most of their luster...

At least the NBA still seems free from that sort of institutionalized parity.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

NFL - New Orleans Saints
College - LSU, Mississippi St., University of North Alabama

That's it.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Raydah James wrote:
Mine:

Explain.
Two things here:

1. I hardly "bang" all NYC teams professionally, particularly since I said the following:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:NBA: Lost interest after the 98-99 work stoppage, so I can't really say that I have a team. If I have to have a team, give me the Knicks based on past loyalty.
NHL: Lost interest after the 04-05 work stoppage, so I can't really say that I have a team. If I have to have a team, give me the Rangers based on past loyalty.
Not to mention that I couldn't care less about the Mets.

2. You also forgot the following:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:College football: Notre Dame.
For me, that one trumps all others. My avatar out front should have told you that.

And along those lines, my all time favorite football player, period, end of story, is Joe Montana. And I was a Joe Montana fan long before he got to the Niners. In fact, when Joe Montana was at ND, I was probably the biggest Joe Montana fan in the world outside his immediate family. So it was only natural that I'd follow him to the pros. I've stuck with the Niners after he retired as well.

Btw, when I was a little kid, as in 6-7 years old, I was a Dallas Cowboys fan, since they were the team on TV most often. I could never root for them today, however, since Jerrah Jones bought the team. Imho, when Jerrah Jones bought the Cowboys, the NFL should have made him move the team and change the team's colors, nickname and logo, for all the resemblance the Jerrah Jones-era Cowboys had to the pre-Jerrah Jones Cowboys. Nor could I root for any team that Jimmah Johnson ever coached.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Raydah James wrote:RACK Terry's money fucking list, even though he forgot Brazil in Soccer and Carolina in the NHL. I suppose I can let him slide once without severe reprocussions.

-Dins
Rack. Rack. Rack.

NFL:Chargers (Number 1)
MLB: Padres
NBA: No
NHL: No
Nascar: No one, but somewhat partial to Ryan Newman and the Busch brothers.
College football and bball: Whoever my boyfriend likes.

This year I'll be bandwagoning the NO Saints, bitches.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

NHL: Red Wings (duh)
MLB: Tigers
NFL: Lions
NBA: Pistons (when I actually give a crap about it)
College football & hockey: Michigan
College basketball: Duke (huge Coach K fan and I felt jilted by the whole Fab 5/Ed Martin scandal)
Mike Backer
Bozworth wanna be
Location: Middle of the formation, four yards from the line of scrimmage.

Post by Mike Backer »

NFL: Colts.
NBA: Pacers.
College football: Purdue.
College basketball: Purdue.
I'm the guy who tossed Mark Cuban's salad by proxy.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Raydah James wrote:
Mine:

Explain.
Two things here:

1. I hardly "bang" all NYC teams professionally, particularly since I said the following:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:NBA: Lost interest after the 98-99 work stoppage, so I can't really say that I have a team. If I have to have a team, give me the Knicks based on past loyalty.
Tomato, Tomato.

NY team banger, Labor strikes soured you.

Understandable to a certain degree.

Not to mention that I couldn't care less about the Mets.
Spoken like a true yankeefan.

For me, that one trumps all others. My avatar out front should have told you that.

And along those lines, my all time favorite football player, period, end of story, is Joe Montana. And I was a Joe Montana fan long before he got to the Niners. In fact, when Joe Montana was at ND, I was probably the biggest Joe Montana fan in the world outside his immediate family. So it was only natural that I'd follow him to the pros. I've stuck with the Niners after he retired as well.
So you're a Cheif fan as well?
Btw, when I was a little kid, as in 6-7 years old, I was a Dallas Cowboys fan, since they were the team on TV most often. I could never root for them today, however, since Jerrah Jones bought the team. Imho, when Jerrah Jones bought the Cowboys, the NFL should have made him move the team and change the team's colors, nickname and logo, for all the resemblance the Jerrah Jones-era Cowboys had to the pre-Jerrah Jones Cowboys. Nor could I root for any team that Jimmah Johnson ever coached.

Good Christ-You could've just said Yankee/ND/Montana cockpuppet and fucking left it at that.

So basically, you're not a true fan of an NFL team.........Gotcha.

And trev, your SC jersey is awaiting....... :D
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Nottingham Forest
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chicago Cubs
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

NFL: 49ers
MLB: Giants
NBA: Lost interest after the NBA fixed Kings-Lakers series two years in a row(i.e. 24 Laker free throws in 4th quarter when they're down by double digits), but used to be a Kings fan.
NHL: LA Kings
College Football: UCLA
College Basketball: UCLA
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Van, what you posted has me scratching my head.
Van wrote:NBA: The Kings, I guess
Van wrote:Dunno how it happened but somehow, somewhere along the way the NBA managed to become the only major professional sport that still keeps me rooting hard at various times.
First, you post an only slightly less ambivalent take than mine viz. your rooting interest in the NBA. Then you turn around and say that the NBA is the only major professional sport that still keeps you rooting hard. :?:
College hoops: Ruined for me these days. I guess if I had to pick I root for Louisville and North Carolina.

. . .

That being said though, even college football is also hurtling headlong towards irrelevancy for me, just like college hoops has, and for the same reason: too many underclassmen leaving early is diluting the sport and ruining rivalries. There's less and less continuity now and with so many more key underclassmen leaving early these days the key re-match games either don't come off at all or, if they do, they've lost most of their luster...
We've had this discussion before, but although we agree about what happened, we disagree as to what was ruined. For me, it was the NBA. Part of the beauty of the old-school NBA was that it was the easiest sport to follow. You only have 12 players to a team, and most of the guys on the roster had a built-in fan following before they even got to the league. Those days are long over, what with the NBA's obsession with high schoolers, Euros and guys who had only one year in college (the latter group being the only ones I heard of).

20 years ago, I could probably name from memory 90% of the players on NBA rosters. Today, I probably couldn't name more than three players on any one team.

College basketball will always be relevant to me, even if the talent level is slightly diluted, because of the rivalries and the fan followings the teams have, which are far more rabid than anything the NBA ever has seen or will see. I think Dick Vitale is generally an idiot, but he's got one point right: the college game is about the name on the front of the jerseys, and the NBA game is about the name on the back of the jerseys. And when I, as a fan, don't even recognize most of those names on the back anymore, it's time for me to go.
Last edited by Terry in Crapchester on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

What a wonderful example of KYOA, trev...rack the misguided one's take on me "bandwagoning"(he needs to familiarize himself with what that word means before he tosses it around in ignorance), then fully admit to "bandwagoning" a team that somebody else told you to like.

Small wonder you're considered an idiot around these parts.

Same teams I've always had --

NFL - 49ers
CFB - Ducks
NBA - Trailblazers
NHL - Chick sport, couldn't care less
CBB - Ducks (with a casual interest in NC on the national level...even this PAC10 homer realizes that CBB is all about the ACC)
FIFA - England (who RJ might note has never won a WC in my lifetime). In the leagues, it's Southhampton...who I believe has been relegated to what amounts to an intramural/rec league squad, due to possibly being the worst team in all of England...hard to call that "bandwagoning")

Can't make much sense of Van's answers, but maybe if James reviews Felix's post, he might figure out that people who grew up in areas with little to no major franchises often will have rooting interests spread across the country, due to accessibilty to TV games. It's whether or not you stick with your teams through thick and thin that determines whether or not you're a bandwagoner or not, not which teams you root for.

Oh, and did I mention the Ducks won the first CBB championship?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:NHL - Chick sport, couldn't care less

Why I oughta! :lol:
Last edited by Shoalzie on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Raydah James wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Not to mention that I couldn't care less about the Mets.
Spoken like a true yankeefan.
They're National League. Why should I care about them? Apathy is even more scornful than is hatred.

And at least I'm not Chicago fan, who switches allegiance between the Cubs and White Sox based on which team is more successful.

Raydah James wrote:

So you're a Cheif fan as well?
I rooted for the Chiefs as well while Montana played for them. But given that he played 2 years with the Chiefs, and 14 years with the Niners . . .

Btw, to me it is far more suspect to root for a different college football and college basketball team than it is to root for pro teams in different cities. Consider that the largest college campuses in the country have 50,000 -- 60,000 students, and the smallest metropolitan areas in the country that boast a pro team have populations of ten times that amount, there's a far more intimate connection between a college team and the school it represents than there ever can be between a pro team and the city it represents.
Last edited by Terry in Crapchester on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

College football: Hokies.
College basketball: Hokies.
NFL: Skins.
[These are the only teams that really matter.]
MLB: Orioles, but I could care less as long as Angelos owns the team.
NBA: Bullets
NHL: Caps
[The only reason I remotely follow these teams is the memories of going to games as a kid.]
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Oh come on, dins, you aren't that stupid. Hike up your jockstrap and take your strike outs like a man.

By the way, you don't have to hate on every other team in the universe in order to be a sports fan.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

NFL: Jaguars
College football (and any other college sport): Florida Gators
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote:By the way, you don't have to hate on every other team in the universe in order to be a sports fan.

Gee, RJ...how does it feel to be dumber than trev?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Dinsdale wrote:
trev wrote:By the way, you don't have to hate on every other team in the universe in order to be a sports fan.

Aren't the Yankees playing today? You could be tuned into that instead of wasting your time calling others "dumb," bandwagon boy.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

trev wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Aren't the Yankees playing today? You could be tuned into that instead of wasting your time calling others "dumb," bandwagon boy.

They finished sweeping the White Sox about 35 min ago. Thanks for playing.
Last edited by JCT on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote:What a wonderful example of KYOA, trev...rack the misguided one's take on me "bandwagoning"(he needs to familiarize himself with what that word means before he tosses it around in ignorance),
Because we all know that you invented the word itself.

Its hilarious that you even bothered to post in this thread-and proves just how fucking stupid you really are.

You offered War Wagon advice along the lines of "Knowing when to shut the fuck up" recently. You should take that advice to heart as of right now.

Same teams I've always had --
I laughed. Hard.
NFL - 49ers
CFB - Ducks
NBA - Trailblazers
NHL - Chick sport, couldn't care less
CBB - Ducks (with a casual interest in NC on the national level...even this PAC10 homer realizes that CBB is all about the ACC)
FIFA - England (who RJ might note has never won a WC in my lifetime). In the leagues, it's Southhampton...who I believe has been relegated to what amounts to an intramural/rec league squad, due to possibly being the worst team in all of England...hard to call that "bandwagoning")

So you're not a Yankee/A's fan now? The very reason I punked your dumb ass in the MLB forum doesnt even fucking exist on your list now?

Not that there was any doubt left-but congrats on cementing your 'Frontrunning Tard' status in here.

Im even awarding extra points for your speed racer like ability to attain said status.

:lol:
Last edited by Raydah James on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

JCT wrote:
trev wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

And your teams would be...?

PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

College Football, Baseball, Basketball- THE University of Texas on all levels. Everyone knows this.

MLB- Houston Astros. They pwn my soul.

NFL- Texans, Titans to a lesser degree. Was a HUGE Oilers fan and followed 'em when they left. Still trying to get used to the lowly Texans.

NBA- Houston Rockets. I miss Hakeem much.

NHL- Chick sport.

MLS- Houston Dynamo. Still don't understand half the rules but it's entertaining when the Astros aren't on.

Nascar- #8, #43 and anyone in DH racing.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote:

Link to where I said I hated all other teams?

You are quite the dumbfuck as of late.

I dont know whats funnier at this point-The motorcycle thread, this, or the MLB forum offering.

Thanks for the laughs, though.
JCT

Post by JCT »

trev wrote:
JCT wrote:
trev wrote: Aren't the Yankees playing today? You could be tuned into that instead of wasting your time calling others "dumb," bandwagon boy.

You mean the Yanks, Bills and Sabres?

Where are yours, housefrau?
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

JCT wrote:
trev wrote:
JCT wrote:

You mean the Yanks, Bills and Sabres?

Where are yours, housefrau?

Congrats on your newly attained dumbfuck status as well.

Immediately clicking the X in the upper right corner of your screen will make your shit posts more fucking readable at this point.

Thank me later.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

trev wrote:This year I'll be bandwagoning the NO Saints, bitches.
Unlike others here, I welcome the support, bandwagon or not. They have no reason to suck this year.

i'm fucking looking forward to it!!!
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

JCT

Post by JCT »

Raydah James wrote:

Really, and you base this on what, dipshit? On the fact that I grew up near Buffalo and spent most of childhood in Rich Stadium watching the Bills and in the Aud watching the Sabres?

Thanks for playing dipshit, you can take your nutsucking housefrau and feel free to eject now.
JCT

Post by JCT »

trev wrote:Image
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

NFL- Cardinals (and stay off of my fucking bandwagon).
NBA-Suns
MLB-don't really give a shit, would favor the D'Backs because of Colangelo.
CFB-Whoever is making me money any given week.
CBB- Duke.
Socker- WGARA.
Hockey-See Socker X2- a bunch of armed thugs skating in circles.
Last edited by Diogenes on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

JCT wrote:
Raydah James wrote:

Really, and you base this on what, dipshit?
The fact that you're probably going to ask me what my fucking teams are next, kool aid man.

These threads require reading, you fat slut. Speak 'n' Spell out front should've told you.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

JCT wrote:
trev wrote:Image
Why because I asked you to list your teams in a Who's your team thread?

Scroll back to page one of this thread and refresh your memory of who came in nipping. Or continue your little tantrum.
JCT

Post by JCT »

Yeah my bad for scrolling past both of your posts, as usual.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

AFC: KC
NFC: GB
NBA: SA
CFB: OU
FIFA: U.S., NED, ENG
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.