Spike Marks vs. Ball Marks

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Spike Marks vs. Ball Marks

Post by indyfrisco »

Ok, so Dins brought this up in a different thread. I've always wondered why it is ok to fix a ball mark but not ok to fix a spike mark. What is the logic behind this? Are they actually worried people will create a spike mark next to the cup only to "fix it" and leave the edges a little raised as to filter the ball towards the hole?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

No idea on the logic, but I have seen a horrible ball mark on a wet green, while the worst spike mark was pretty small. But anything that upsets the ball while rolling is huge.

Indy, do you not fix these in your rounds anyway?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I fix spike marks when I play leisure rounds, but when I am in a tournament, I do not fix spike marks.

Since most courses I play on do not allow metal spikes, this problem isn't as widespread as back when I played competitive golf every week with everyone wearing metal. Back then, I knew this guy who played for Pearland who would not only walk in your line, but he would drag his feet to purposefully make a spike mark in your line before you putt. He did this mostly when you were chipping onto the green and he would "walk around" as if surveying his upcoming putt and then leave a huge mark in your line. Fucker...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm probably more fastidious than most on the issue. Living where I do in the SoggySoggy(thread about this on Main Street...we don';t get that much rain overall in the big picture, but what we get is spread pretty evenly though late fall through early spring, and the dense soils never dry in that time frame...ever. Winter golf and summer golf are two radically different concepts around here...but, we play year 'round, so I won't bitch).

Anyhoo, where was I....

Oh. For anywhere from 3-5 months out of the year, any decent shot on to the green leaves a serious crater, unless it was a 3 iron or something low like that(no bump-and-runs in the winter...one choice of approach - "high and hot"). That being the case, I guess it's just been ingrained that you inspect the green when you're done with it, and fix any damage you see, whether you caused it or not. I always make it a point to leave every green I ever walk on in better condition than when I got there.

Speaking of s9oggy greens -- you guys should see(maybe you have) what happens when you hit a cup with a mid/short iron when it's muddy out -- ain't a tool in the golf bag that's going to fix that mess. Seen a couple of them absolutely explode, with only the plastic cup left as any evidence that there was ever a golf hole there.

I wear those "pointier" soft spikes, which don't really leave nearly the mark anyway. As opposed to those kinda "star-pattern" flatter soft spikes...which isn't a good description, I realize.

One of these days, I've been meaning to ask you guys your thoughts on golf shoes. Haven't got around to it yet.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

In the summer down here I tend to wear the soft spike sandals. I have never been a fan of the white golf shoe look, and only wear them in cooler times.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not down with the sandals, but I have friends who play in them (regular sandals, not the spiked variety).

Around here in winter, you're about as well off with good heavy workboots as you are with anything else...the heels dig into the mud a little bit.

^^^Scratch that -- it's Oregon, so naturally we have to do things our own way.

Ideally, in winter, you wear Oregon Mudders. And since if I didn't live here, I'd call bullshit on there being such a thing as golf boots made for the mud, I'll provide photographic evidence --

Yup, those are golf shoes.

Seriously.

But, I don't own a pair. Maybe someday.

But, for the rest of the year...

C'mon...I'm from Beaverton, Oregon...you'll never guess what my brand of choice is?

I've got a fairly beacon-white pair of Swooshy Air Max. Love 'em. Very comfortable. Although with my monster driver-swing, I tend to tear out the two back ones on the left shoe pretty frequently.

I'm not opposed to saddle-types in general, but some of the courses I play are pretty white-trash, and if I'm wearing a tank top and a pair of hiking shorts, it looks pretty silly with a pair of fringed saddles....not that some of my golf buds don't regularly sport that look(cracks me the hell up, every time). But, it's not like fancy, high-fallutin courses frown upon the running-style ones, and I've always figured ther tenny-style were more comfortable. Nike Airs pretty much rock.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Truth be told, I am big time on golf sandals. Haven't tried them on yet. I usually swing out of my shoes so who knows if they will work for me, but I'd like to try some sometime.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:He did this mostly when you were chipping onto the green and he would "walk around" as if surveying his upcoming putt and then leave a huge mark in your line. Fucker...
you can always ask a player to repair any damage he inflicts on the green......

not that it matters now......

rack Sof-Spikes, the greatest innovation in golf since the wound ball
get out, get out while there's still time
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Personally, I hate soft spikes. I much prefer the metal. I slip at least once a round it seems.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:Personally, I hate soft spikes. I much prefer the metal. I slip at least once a round it seems.
If your slipping it's not because of the spikes, it's because your off balance....sayin

no doubt you need to change them a lot more often than metal, but the improved putting conditions more than make up for any slight loss of traction.....
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I agree on the putting conditions. Amazing how some people don't realize it is easier to walk by lifting your feet instead of shuffling them.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:Amazing how some people don't realize it is easier to walk by lifting your feet instead of shuffling them.
I played with that guy......