Is she going to do it?

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Roofer
Elwood

Is she going to do it?

Post by Roofer »

I'm watching the blogs on Michelle Wie as she attempts to qualify for the US Open. Top 18 in the sectional she's playing advance. She finished the morning round of 18 in 13th place at -2, and she's given a shot back in the first 3 holes of the afternoon 18. She missed a half dozen putts of 4-12 feet for birdie in her first round. If she can get that putter straightened out, this actually might happen. A 16 yr old girl might actually qualify for the US Open.

She's amazing, simply put.
m2 wrote:I'm use to it. Why?

Are you trying to hurt my feelings?

It wont work... I'm a Warriors fan.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Is she going to do it?

Post by Dinsdale »

Roofer wrote: She's amazing, simply put.

Which makes it all the more funny when tards dis her.

"Well, she really choked in the Majors."

Hello?

She finished freaking second(?) in a freaking major...at six-freaking-teen.

Yeah, that's quite a choke-job, right there.

She's 16.

And I'll be taking her out on her 18th birthday.

And she's stepping to the greatest woman player in history...at 16.

What else does she need to do? Cure cancer?

We've become a nation of haters, I guess.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Anybody who can't appreciate what Wie is doing should just stop watching golf. Her game from tee to green is stellar. If she ever get's on speaking terms with her putter, she will lay waste to the LPGA and likely play well in more than a few men's events.

As far as her chances today? I'd say it's a coin toss after 22 holes. It looks like she'll need to get to 3 under before all is said and done. But, she still has 3 par 5s left to play in her afternoon round.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

On top of that, she's one of us (kinda sorta).

Did the wedge show up today, making our shitty putter easier, or is the wedge-play going badly?

Seems like that's what her score comes down to -- just like the rest of us.

Sidenote -- I hit one crazy-assed putt saturday. Truly a bigtime putt for the ages. Not too many people on planet earth would hit this putt very often...and I nailed it...

to save 8.

Penalties were invovled-btw.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I have to admit, I didn’t like the women playing in the men’s events when it first started happening with Annika. I wished for her failure. Now, I’ve somewhat eased up on my stance with Michelle. The main reason is she is trying to qualify for a tourney. The exemptions is what I have a problem with. If she qualifies, she earns it in my book.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

She's now back to 2 under with a birdie on the longest par 4 on the course. 10 more holes with 3 par 5s to go.

This page has the scoring updates for the full field.

http://www.ghin.com/scoring/stroke.html

I'm starting to think that she might have to take it to -4 to avoid a playoff.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Pretty much my thoughts too, IF.

Sure, the women have their own tour...as do the geriatrics.

But, the way I see it, the "Big Tour" should be about whoever can throw up the fattest score. If it's a woman...more power to them.

The main problem I see with women "crossing over," is the length of the courses on tour. I could see a woman doing very well on a tight, "technical" course(sup Annika's short irons, one of the best short games of anyone, man or woman). But they play almost exclusively on "power courses." Even the "technical" courses are power courses.

I mean...sure, Furyk and Freddy do well occasinally...but look at the world rankings....pretty much goes 1. Big Hitter. 2. Big Hitter. 3. Big Hitter. etc. etc.

Sure, there's exceptions, but anymore...it's all about driving and putting. Even on long par 4's, most guys are coming in "high and hot" with a wedge or short iron.

Wayyyyy hypothetical, but I'd love to see the pros play a tourney at the little redneck-hacker-out-in-the-boondocks course I played this last weekend. A couple of the teeshots require threading it between trees right off the tee...then hitting the proper distance after threading the needle. It was key on a few holes, but for the most part, long drives didn't mean crap. Hitting smooth distances was EVERYTHING...probably moreso than any course I've played.

Don't get me wrong -- it's kind of a ratty course, but what a challenge. When my playing partners tell me "aim your 3 wood into those woods, and hopefiully that fir will knock it down onto the green" -- it's some crazy stuff. Of course on that hole, I chose to aim for the 150 stick, since I had no idea what the green even looked like or where it was(completely blind). And mother-of-fuck...I flushed a perfect 6, and put it right next to the stick. And silly freaking me -- even though I was next to the 150, I said to myself "boy, Self...that sure doesn't look like 150...but they wouldn't have put the stick there if it wasn't right?"

Nice reasoning, Dinsdouche.

I even played it for well under 150, since there was mucho trouble behind (after I could eventually see the green). Hit a freaking smooth PW -- and cleared the green by....a lot. Reached the woods behind an adjacent teebox, no less.

150, my ass. Played it as a hazard, since no where in my worst nightmares was it a Lost Ball(and there were people behind..."gentleman's rules" and all.

Bastards.

Kept it under 100, at least. Then again, according to my super-hardcore-low-handicapper buds..."Tiger Freaking Woods would be happy with an 80 out here."

If you ever find yourself at Vernonia Golf Club in Vernowhere Oregon....bring extra balls...LOTS of extra balls. "Forgiveness" isn't in their vocabulary out there. Missed your line by 5 degrees one way or thge other? Play a provisional.

Just brutal. And it's been wet in the Coast Range, so the rough isn't even mowed....just brutal. Did I mention in the other thread that I reached a green from knee-high grass? That was a high point. As were my few pars..all early in the round, when they're warming you up for the brutal abuse that's about to follow.

I enjoy the hell out of the over-the-top tricky courses, though. The scorecard is always a disappointment, but it's fun while I'm playing.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

I have no problem with Wie trying to play w/the big boys. Well, maybe a little problem... and it falls under that "Cart before the horse category".

Maybe, just maybe, Wie should tackle the LPGA 'fore she starts her little endeavor of playin' w/the men.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

IndyFrisco wrote:The main reason is she is trying to qualify for a tourney. The exemptions is what I have a problem with. If she qualifies, she earns it in my book.
If she earns her way in. then she more than deserves it. I definitely agree with you about the exemptions.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I would like her tackle the LPGA Tour first and try accomplish something over there. I dont have a problem w/ her per say, just w/ the amount of attention she gets. She missed the QUALIFIER by 5 shots and people are acting as if she came so close to accomplishing anything. Just shows the disparity that exists between men and women, when it is considered a victory for a woman to shoot a +1 against borderline PGA tour members. Can the guys that didnt qualify for the US Open, go take a shot on the Women's Tour?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Cicero wrote:Can the guys that didnt qualify for the US Open, go take a shot on the Women's Tour?
Nope. The LPGA is exclusive to the Ladies.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

MuchoBulls wrote:The LPGA is exclusive to the Ladies.
When can we get a WPGA so us crackas can compete without Tiger?

Sin,
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Cicero wrote:I would like her tackle the LPGA Tour first and try accomplish something over there.
You mean other than having 5 top 10s in LPGA majors dispite being forced into a limited playing schedule by the LPGA?
I dont have a problem w/ her per say, just w/ the amount of attention she gets.
Get used to it. She's only getting better.
She missed the QUALIFIER by 5 shots and people are acting as if she came so close to accomplishing anything.
Did you SEE any of her round? Maybe read the shot by shot account? If that girl could have caught a break with her putter, she would be in the US Open this year.
Just shows the disparity that exists between men and women, when it is considered a victory for a woman to shoot a +1 against borderline PGA tour members.
Especialy when the woman is a 16 year old girl.
Can the guys that didnt qualify for the US Open, go take a shot on the Women's Tour?
They are more than welcome to play of the European LPGA assuming they go through with the required sex change operation and hormone reduction treatments. Why don't you give it a try?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Guilty admission:

When I first saw this thread title, my mind went a TOTALLY different direction.

Nothing a handful of Kleenex didn't fix, though.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Cicero wrote:Can the guys that didnt qualify for the US Open, go take a shot on the Women's Tour?
Nope. The LPGA is exclusive to the Ladies.

Thanks but I was being sarcastic.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I didn't know if you were or not, but thanks for letting me know.