talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

The glass is half full

Post by poptart »

It's human nature.
It's FAN nature.
This time of year we all want to believe that our team has made moves to improve on last year.
Make the Super Bowl if you were merely a playoff team.
Make the playoffs if you failed last year.
Or ..... just not totally suck if you totally sucked last year.

The draft is over, many moves have been made, coaches have been fired and hired.
We like to think quality moves were made.
We desperately WANNA believe.
A touch of myopia.

Well, why is your team going to be better this year ...?

Oakland will be better for 5 basic reasons.

1. A horrible coaching regime was replaced. Art Shell has already set a tone, and he's begun to set a standard. He's showing common sense, and his track record clearly shows him to be superior to Norv turner as a head NFL coach.

2. The schedule is more favorable. Last season's schedule was quite difficult, and this year's looks (on paper) much easier to navigate.

3. QB upgrade. Hey, I'm not gonna blow smoke up A. Brooks' ass, but he IS an upgrade over Carrie Collins. He's got better wheels, among other things.

4. Defensive personel has improved. Oakland drafted defense, and they very arguably drafted that defense WELL. They made other defensive acquisitions that look promising as well. The overall speed of the unit is improved, and I'd be surprised if they can't manage to improve on last year's 27th-in-the-league ranking.

5. Inuries. Moss got dinged and wan't able to do his thang last season. 2nd year in a row for that. Odds are in favor of him NOT getting dinged once again. Other injuries piled up on the team last year. Losing Warren Sapp mid-year hurt a lot, as he was playing well.

As it stands at this moment, I'd say Oakland has improved enough to win 3-5 more games.

Between 7-9 and 9-7.

Hey, I hope I'm setting the bar way low, and it all comes together for a magical season of greatness, BUT, after three straight years of bending over, I'd be happy to just get some respectablilty back in Oaktown.

Why is your team going to be improved .... ?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: The glass is half full

Post by BSmack »

poptart wrote:5. Inuries. Moss got dinged and wan't able to do his thang last season. 2nd year in a row for that. Odds are in favor of him NOT getting dinged once again.
Best example of Raiderfan "logic" I have seen a long time.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

poptart wrote:Why is your team going to be improved .... ?
Because they couldn't be any worse than last year . :?
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Times change, and we all mellow with age.

20th century raiduh fan:

"Commitment To Excellence."

21st century raiduh fan:
poptart wrote:Between 7-9 and 9-7.

Hey, I hope I'm setting the bar way low, and it all comes together for a magical season of greatness, BUT, after three straight years of bending over, I'd be happy to just get some respectablilty back in Oaktown.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

That's the reality of the moment, as I see it, dave.

Nothing to say about your own team ...?
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

I'll ad a 6 to your list pop.

6. smart drafting. Instead of going after the player al "falls in love with" they drafted by need. our secondary has been shit and they addresed a critical need with Huff.

I like they drafted O-line help and linebacking help.

Darnell bing was a steal and will contribute immediately.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Post by Aaron in Tucson »

Dave's glass is always full.
That's the reality of his moment.

Pops, you forgot to account for the fact that the raiders
will be especially well rested with the bed and breakfast
rewards program set up by our new offensive coach.
That's worth at least a 1-2 wins.

That boosts us up to a possible 11 win season!

FUCK YEAH!
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Well RACK Paul for stepping to the plate.

We used to have a damn good place to kick around some football talk.

[eddie haskell]So what gives, boss?[/eddie haskell]

Yeah, weekend, ...... and MEMORIAL DAY weekend at that.

About your takes, Paul.......

1. I see the coaching change as pretty much a lateral move. In Herm's 5 yrs in NY he never got the offense in the top half in the league, statistically. His brand of offense is ...... blah ...... and I think Chef fan will miss Dickless' much more wide-open style. To Herm's credit, he did get have his defense playing some pretty consistently good ball. Until last year's abortion, they were consistently in the top half of the league on defense, and twice were in the top 10 in the league. Bottom line is it was time for Dickless to be put out to pasture. I'm just not sold on Herm being all that much of an upgrade. Maybe a slight upgrade, if Herm can learn to keep track of timeouts, what quarter it is, whether he remembered to feed the cat..... etc ....

2. maybe

3. LJ was the man last year, Paul. Nothing new there, really. Monster year, playing behind a REAL good o-line. Can he really be better this year than last ....? I dunno 'bout that.

4. I think you're hoping the fellas you drafted pan out, but the jury is still in session. Hali and Pollard are far from clear-cut blue chip guys. May take a year or two for them to have an impact .... if they sincerely do. I could see T. Law helping you guys. Might be pricey, but .... if you're in desperate need.

Dungver is the clear favorite, yes.
SD will miss Brees.
Oakland will be improved.
KC ..... ?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

poptart wrote:Well, why is your team going to be better this year ...?
Steeler fan here. No room for improvement on last year. Well, at least the last 8 games of the season.

:wink:

PS: Paul, anybody who has been paying attention knows Priest is retiring. Every NFL rumor page has done nothing but report that Priest has not so much as run a lap since the end of last season. You ain't telling me anything I have not already figured out.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

You and your Steeler bro's are the only posters who get a pass on the thread, Bri.

Anyone else not posting is a faggy butt licker, bottom line.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

3 reasons why the Cowboys will be better (if TO stays on best behavior)

1. TO, while an asshole, will seriously improve the Cowboys offense. He is a receiver who demands double or triple coverage and that only opens things up for Witten and Jones.

2. The Cowboys have upgraded, via free agency, the offensive line. Fabini will anchor the right tackle spot that was a huge weakness last year and getting Flozell Adams back at the left tackle spot is a recipe for success. Kosier will add depth along the guard postions and Gurode will do likewise at the center position

3. The Cowboys drafted Bobby Carpenter. He is exactly what the boys needed on the left side of the defensive line. He will rush opposite of Demarcus Ware and I don't see too many QB's having fun with those two guys chasing them every snap. Anyone who has seen video footage of Bobby Carpenter knows he will be as good or better as AJ Sqawk.
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

DallasFanatic wrote:Anyone who has seen video footage of Bobby Carpenter and is a Cowboys homer knows he will be as good or better as AJ Sqawk.

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

T. Blow is a dickhead of the highest order, but I think he'll behave well enough THIS season to be helpful to your cause.

I can't disagree with your 2nd and 3rd points either.

If I'm cowpoke fan I'm a little concerned about QB.
Drew faded a bit down the stretch last year, and damn, he's tossed a lot of balls in his career.
Didn't realize he's in the top 5 all-freaking-time in both attempts and completions.
How much does he have left in the tank .... ?
Not only that, but IF you get to the playoffs, Drew's post-season career doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
He's got a winning record, but da-yum, he's put up some ugly numbers.

Bottom line is I think Dallas will at least be in the hunt for a playoff spot.
Maybe more.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

poptart wrote:
If I'm cowpoke fan I'm a little concerned about QB.
Drew faded a bit down the stretch last year
There is a direct correlation with him fading and Flozel Adams being injured. As soon as Adams went down, the Boys had to give additional protection to Torrin Tucker. Problem was, they were already giving Rob Petiti help. Keeping max protect on most of the time seriously hurt their offense as they were facing 8 in the box most of the time. TO will help get that 8th man out of the box and Fabini and a healthy Marco Rivera should lead to improved OL line performance.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

poptart wrote:Not only that, but IF you get to the playoffs, Drew's post-season career doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
He's got a winning record, but da-yum, he's put up some ugly numbers.
Playing in New England in January may have something to do with those numbers. But I agree that his tank is definitely half empty and a prime concern for Jerry and Co. is to find an heir to the QB position. Romo has shown promise in preseason play, but who can really get hyped up over preseason stats. And Henson, well I think he's on his last leg out of Dallas.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Three reasons why the Niners will (should) be better . . .

1. Alex Smith has a year of NFL experience under his belt. He's a smart guy (very nearly went to Harvard, graduated early) and should benefit from a year of the NFL's School of Hard Knocks.

2. Frank Gore has the makings of a stud.

3. Did you see the Niners last year? Really no place to go but up.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

The Niners were also decimated with injuries. Their NFL Europe starters were replaced by scrubs from the elite teams in the MAC conference.

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

poptart wrote:Anyone else not posting is a faggy butt licker, bottom line.
WHAT???? is bassman in Korea too???

The BROWNS STILL Suck.
BUT;
~they've added MORE needs and depth through the Draft.
~they've added NEEDS through FA.

DE, O-Line, "tacklers" and a GOOD Punter!

~Charlie Frye will be improved, and
"The Soljah" might be healthy enough to show something. the Braylon Edwards come-back will be interesting too.

to THINK that the BROWNS could finish better than 3rd in the AFC Norris would be gax. 7-8-9 wins and "sniffing" the playoff chase is fine by me.

kee-Rist-->just be competitive and don't Lose to the 2005 Texans of the world.

L8
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

The Brownies SERIOUSLY need to find a way to score some points.

What's your take on Charlie Frye, Q .... ?
Can he be a player ... ?

Maybe more importantly, .... who does he have to throw to ... ?

Geez, I look at the Browns and think the offense has the potential to stay VERY ugly if a Edwards, Winslow (or whoever) don't rise up and play some ball.

Droughns is alright, but he's a bread & butter kind of runner, and pretty durable.
You guys could use a good change-of-pace guy.
Somebody that can do some damage in the open field.

Good luck. :wink:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Hey Terry, living in NY, what makes you a 'niner fan ... ?

Just wondering the background on that.

SF, nowhere to go but up.

Yeah, true.

Sad to say that Oakland is in a similar boat.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

poptart wrote:Hey Terry, living in NY, what makes you a 'niner fan ... ?

Just wondering the background on that.
Joe Montana (I'm also a ND fan).
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Three reasons why the Niners will (should) be better . . .

1. Alex Smith has a year of NFL experience under his belt. He's a smart guy (very nearly went to Harvard, graduated early) and should benefit from a year of the NFL's School of Hard Knocks.

2. Frank Gore has the makings of a stud.

3. Did you see the Niners last year? Really no place to go but up.
Smith has been shown that Nolan is doing what he can to get him some talent to succeed with . Now , it's up to Smith to to return Nolan's faith in Smith , and Nolan sticking out his neck for him by making him the #1 pick .

Gore has to stay healthy first , but it will be RBBC , splitting time with Barlow ( if Barlow isn't traded ) . They did sign a behemoth of a fullback in Moran Norris though , and along with a healthy Jennings , and a Vet like Allen , the running game should improve dramatically .

And any improvement is a dramatic one with the 49ers .
What's my Name wrote:The Niners were also decimated with injuries. Their NFL Europe starters were replaced by scrubs from the elite teams in the MAC conference.
Bryant Young ans Kwame Harris are the only 2 first round picks left from the previous regimes . Nolan has cleaned house almost completely . The previous regimes left zero depth of talent , all the way back to DeBartolo and Policy . This team was fucked by all of the decisions made prior to Nolan and Scott McGlouhan . The other 3 QB's on the roster outside of Smith last year were all picked in the 7th round of the draft . Fucking stupid . The 49ers never adressed a QBOTF seriously since drafting Druckenmiller ( over Jake Plummer , by the advice of Bill Walsh ) . Again , fucking stupid .
poptart wrote:SF, nowhere to go but up.

Yeah, true.

But at least you guys have proven offense .
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

mvscal wrote:
drummer wrote:
poptart wrote:SF, nowhere to go but up.

Yeah, true.

But at least you guys have proven offense .
Link?
Well , compared to the 49ers .....
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

BSmack wrote:
poptart wrote:Well, why is your team going to be better this year ...?
Steeler fan here. No room for improvement on last year. Well, at least the last 8 games of the season.

:wink:
rackage all around
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

The positive thing going for the Chargers is they have quite a few young improving players with a lot of upside.

I agree that this season will be a learning one for Rivers. I think he'll make some mistakes but hopefully will improve as the season progresses. From what I've seen of him, he needs to improve his vision down field and his pocket awareness / movement. This will be his third season so hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes quickly.

The defense is playing better and I think will improve as guys like Merriman, Castillo, Philips and others gain more experience.

I would have liked to have seen a decent veteran FA pick up for the OL, and I think how this unit performs ultimately will dictate their final record. Marty needs to use the Steeler recipe for success, good defense, special teams and have Rivers manage the offense while making few mistakes. But not too conservative on offense either, 3rd & long won’t be Rivers strong suite this season.

My guess is the Chargers will stumble coming out of the gate but will improve as the season goes along. Will that be good enough for a playoff spot? I’m not sure, but believe with the AFC West’s easier schedule they should be in competition for a playoff spot until the end.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Joe in PB wrote: Marty needs to use the Steeler recipe for success, good defense, special teams and have Rivers manage the offense while making few mistakes.
Considering that Cowher has spent the last 15 years being called a Marty clone (by people who don't know better), that's pretty damn funny.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

That's exactly why I used it Bri, the Steelers success means there is slightly more hope in Chargerville. Marty is much tighter than Cowher is big games though & that’s one of the reasons he chokes. He's read about himself being a playoff choker so long I actually think he believes it.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

The Raiders really have nowhere to go but up at this point....

I'm moderately optimistic with the offseason so far but am far from overwhelmed.

Reasons for optimism:

1. That pit faced loser who lacks any bit of leadership whatsoever will be fucking up things across the bay this season. Wait till niner fan gets a load of the O line next season after that crater face finishes moving everyone out of position.

2. Robert Gallery will move back to LT (his natural position), Langston Walker will move back to RT (his natural position), Jake Grove will start at C(his natural position), Barry Simms will start at LG(he has experience there).

Seeing a pattern here? Any questions as to what some of our O line problems were last season? Gallery should have started at LT all along but for whatever reason the decision was made not to upset False start Sims. Gallery is no drive blocker and had no business at RT, his strength is in his footwork and agility and now Raidernation will finally get to see if he can sink or swim at his natural position. Personally I think Walker is a piece of shit but he had no business at G, hope fully that soft ass pussy Jake Grove spent the offseason in the weight room cause he did us no favors in the running game.

3. Defense defense defense.....After ignoring the linebacker position for most of my life we finally took one high and signed a few who may be able to contribute. Still think we should have drafted Leinart but Huff is a pretty fucking nice conselation prize, my only beef so far is that they seem to be intent on replacing Gibson rather than that soft ass pussy Stuie Schweigert. Schweigert missed so many tackles over the last few seasons a fucking investigation needs to be done to see if that mother fucker was taking kickbacks.

But hey who needs linebackers when we can have Tyler Brayton going one on one down the field with WR's right Norv?

Did I mention that I fucking hate Norv fucking Turner? A fucking keystone fucking cop was running this team for the last two years.

Brayton returning to DE after fucking with his career for the better part of three years is also a positive. I am under no illusions of him suddenly becoming a pro bowler but at least he will become a contributor.

4. QB upgrade.....? Make no mistake I'm no Brooks fan but you can make the argument that with added mobility and the ability to make plays out of the pocket the position was upgraded. It's the little things that I fear will kill us with Brooks this season. Bad decisions at bad times. Still after watching KFC fumble and bumble for the last year and a half any change is welcome. Keep an eye on Andrew Walter, word is that the organization is in love with the guy.

Still looking for upgrades on both lines but with the cap being raised up word is that the cuts will be few and far between.

Still for the most part I was glad to see that Oakland took the year off from the splashy free agent signings(You know where a dude gets a fat deal and promptly quits on the team) and started working on teamwork again.

Game one is the key to our season. L.T. will undoubtedly get his 200 on us again but if we can force Rivers into a mistake or two and steal a game it could put us on the right path.

I'll go with 8-8.

Then again I've said that shit for 3 straight years.

Fuck you Norv if I hadn't mentioned that already.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I could see the Blots ending up as an AFC West also-rans this year.
Hey, they scored a LOT of points last year, and I think that drops dramatically with Rivers under center.
Marty is gonna turtle that offense up even more than is his norm.
We'll see.

Good points, Honky.
About Brooks, I think he & Moss can do some damage.
I think we'll see cases where Brooks buys time with his legs, giving Moss time to get loose downfield.
Just a touch of streetball, if you will.
I want to see the running game REALLY take root this year though.
We need it badly.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Joe in PB wrote:Marty needs to use the Steeler recipe for success, good defense, special teams and have Rivers manage the offense while making few mistakes.
Now there's some irony.

btw, it wasn't so long ago the Stiller's special teams under Cowher were approaching deplorable. Not everything's peachy keen all the time w/Cowher. But you're right... of late, ST has been pretty good.