New Donald Fagen album...Steely Dan trolls rejoice!!

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

YD
Michael McDonald

New Donald Fagen album...Steely Dan trolls rejoice!!

Post by YD »

After a couple weeks of listening its time for me to Rack DF for the new album.

A big Steely fan myself , I enjoyed the last two SD albums and thought they were a great pick up to where they left off after Gaucho. The one thing that became a bit irritating is Walter Becker playing ALL of the guitar solos. Part of the hook for me is hearing all the "hired guns" slay the solos on the '70's albums.

On Morph the Cat, Fagen uses a handful of top notch slingers including SD regulars Hugh McKracken, John Herrington, and Wayne Krantz. killer guitar shit on this album.

Bright Nightgown, and Mary shut The garden door are two of the funkiest DF tunes ever. For a dark themed album, this bad boy sure will put a smile on any respectable SD fan's greel

8) 8) 8) 8) out of 5
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

And a nice third to the Nightfly/Kamikiriad story. I was bummed (and a little suprised) that there was no Seattle show on this tour. I have been lucky enough to see SD at the Gorge a few times, and was hoping that he would play in the city this time around. There are certainly plenty of venues where it would've worked.

Here's to hoping another Dan album is in the offings, although DF's voice sound like it might not have a whole lot left (esp. in the higher register).
From the moment we leave the forest, Dan, it's all a givin' up and adjustin'.
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

GrizBearStare wrote:And a nice third to the Nightfly/Kamikiriad story. I was bummed (and a little suprised) that there was no Seattle show on this tour. I have been lucky enough to see SD at the Gorge a few times, and was hoping that he would play in the city this time around. There are certainly plenty of venues where it would've worked.

Here's to hoping another Dan album is in the offings, although DF's voice sound like it might not have a whole lot left (esp. in the higher register).
the werd I heard is Fagen took it easy for the Morph tour because of a late summer Steely tour to support both Fagen and Becker's solo projects.
they'll debinitly do the gorge again if thats true. they love that place. I saw the last two tours in Portland. TvN was at a sold out Rose Garden, and EMG was at the Keller Auditorium. Keller was epic. opened with freakin Aja.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm way down with SD/DF.

BUT, one of my panic buttons was just pushed --
GrizBearStare wrote:the Gorge
In the future, for the sake of accuracy, could you please refer to it as "The Gorge Amphitheater?"

Thanks.

I just have a problem with the gravytraining owners (Coors Brewing?) using the name "Columbia Gorge" to promote their venue, when in fact it's nowhere near the Columbia Gorge, the Eighth Wonder Of the World.

Signs that say "leavigng Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area" 150 miles down the highway out front should have told you.

Only amphitheater in/around the Gorge that I know of is at Maryhill Winery, and that's new in the last couple of years.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote:Rose Garden
Wow...two in a row...

It's the "Rose Garden ARENA."

The Rose Garden is a really cool spot in Washington Park. Just because Paul Allen's Trailblazer organization is a bunch of dumbasses who weren't familiar enough with the city to know the name was already taken, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

I've gotton laid in the Rose Garden many times. I've never gotten some in the arena, nor have I really felt any compelling need to. A major distinction, in my book anyway.

Anyhoo...yeah, the Glass Palace wasn't quite shitty enough of a place to have concerts -- they had to go and build an even worse one.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Nobody gives a shit about your wannabe english teacher idiosyncratic OCDisms. So go fuck yourself.
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

Dinsdale wrote:
timmay wrote:Rose Garden
Wow...two in a row...

It's the "Rose Garden ARENA."
I won't go as far as MGO but I will say :meds:

I'm pretty sure I've read it refered to as the ROSE GARDEN by a dinsdale before.

In related news First Ave. is really First st.

:meds:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Hello?

Yet, you think that somehow, for whatever reason, that someone gives a shit about your opinions of my "wannabe english teacher idiosyncratic OCDisms?"

Ohhhhhhhkay.
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

I read The Onion's review of this album and I have been waiting to hear from others on how much they like or dislike the album. I don't think Fagen has another "Nightfly" in him or even another "Kamakiriad." I still play those a fair amount. I heard some of the tracks on his website and I guess I'll be picking up the whole album and giving it a spin.

Still have yet to buy a solo Walter Becker album. I played the live version of "Book of Liars" on "Alive in America" over and over and hated it more and more each time I played so I couldn't bring myself to buy "11 Tracks of Whack" and I don't see myself buying his latest solo project either.

Are they going to tour again? I saw them in 1994 at Tanglewood in Massachusetts and then in 2003 at the Arie Crown Theatre in Chicago. Does anyone know why DF wears the same leather jacket when he performs? 9 years apart and he had on the same attire.

Shows were excellent.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote:I'm pretty sure I've read it refered to as the ROSE GARDEN by a dinsdale before.

The place in The Park?

Enterirely possible.

Referring to the arena?

No way, Jose. Never happened. If I called it anything at all it was either the "Garden," (because goodness knows, there wasn't enough arenas known as "the garden"), or the Rose Garden Arena.

Why would I call a building by the name of a park(that holds quite fond memories for me)? That wouldn't make sense.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Invictus wrote:Does anyone know why DF wears the same leather jacket when he performs? 9 years apart and he had on the same attire.
I have no idea.

Sin,
James Hetfield's Black Pants
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Downloaded "Morph" awhile back from iTunes and have been digging it.

I like it better than 'Kamakiriad" but not as much as "Nightfly."

As for Becker's stuff, I actually liked '11 Tracks of Whack." It reminded me of some of the pre-SD Becker/Fagan stuff you can pick up.

btw....doesn't this thread actually belong in the other forum?
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

I'm sure someone will move it eventually. Where is JCT?

When I retire and build my dream house, I'll have a Florida Room built in it no matter where I live just so I can play the song of the same name from "Kamakiriad" on a continuous loop in it.
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

Dinsdale wrote:A whole bunch of shit that fucked up my steely dan thread
ya soggy bastard

:lol:
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

Invictus wrote:Florida Room
I love that tune

killer intro to that one, right into that sunny sax solo
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote:
ya soggy bastard
Not after today. The Wet Side once again begins its reign of weatherbode.

And when you made that fateful decision to post this in this forum, did you think there might be a possibility of that happening?

And this is on ME, rather than you?

Props on joining MGO in the "Reality Olympics." No medals for you two, though.

Besides, it wasn't ME who started using all the fucked up, inaccurate names.

Hey, have you been to the new venue? You know, that one they call the Les Schwab Amphitheater In New York City?

Been to that one yet?
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

yeah you got scoreboard on the 5 inches of snow I woke up to this am. :x

and furthermore.......

leave the Aneheim Les Schwab-O-Dome of Los Angeles out of this

And yes I expected some sort of hijack, just not by the Portland fact check cops. I live in a city where most people can't pronounce the name of this state let alone remember all the silly names for other silly places and things. shits comunicable..

Ya just don't miss anything, eh dins?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote:I live in a city where most people can't pronounce the name of this state
"EYE-duh-ho"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

timmay wrote:I won't go as far as MGO
And let's keep it that way. Someone's gotta have balls around here, and it might as well be those who actually know how to use them.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Someone's gotta have balls around here, and it might as well be those who actually know how to use them.
Quite RACKable.
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

Dinsdale wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Someone's gotta have balls around here, and it might as well be those who actually know how to use them.
Quite RACKable.
Did you just rack another dude's balls?

:lol:
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

MGO :meds:

I think Dins is a funny guy. A pure cartoonish distilling of every pissed off native in this state. He knows this area because its obvious he loves it.

this thread's about steely dan and portland , not your swollen blue balls MGO.

sorry you missed the point
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

timmay wrote:sorry you missed the point
No, the "point" of this place hasn't changed since I registered in September of 1999, you patronizing ballsucker.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

GrizBearStare wrote:Did you just rack another dude's balls?
Uhm....

Uhm....

Wasn't quite my intent, but...

it kinda appears that way.

Out
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote:A pure cartoonish distilling of every pissed off native in this state.
Us 50 natives of this state would be so pissed off if it wasn't for all the goddamn transplants.
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
No, the "point" of this place hasn't changed since I started slugging my wee wee to IB's pic in September of 1999

right

got it
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

a round of racks for everyone in this thread. good shit all around.

for the record i'm really intrigued by this album. haven't listened to any SD in a while. now if i can find countdown to ecstacy somewhere at my place...
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Re: New Donald Fagen album...Steely Dan trolls rejoice!!

Post by jtr »

timmay wrote:After a couple weeks of listening its time for me to Rack DF for the new album.

A big Steely fan myself , I enjoyed the last two SD albums and thought they were a great pick up to where they left off after Gaucho. The one thing that became a bit irritating is Walter Becker playing ALL of the guitar solos. Part of the hook for me is hearing all the "hired guns" slay the solos on the '70's albums.

On Morph the Cat, Fagen uses a handful of top notch slingers including SD regulars Hugh McKracken, John Herrington, and Wayne Krantz. killer guitar shit on this album.

Bright Nightgown, and Mary shut The garden door are two of the funkiest DF tunes ever. For a dark themed album, this bad boy sure will put a smile on any respectable SD fan's greel

8) 8) 8) 8) out of 5
have you ever noticed after a six pack or two your name looks like unmary.
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

timmay wrote: the werd I heard is Fagen took it easy for the Morph tour because of a late summer Steely tour to support both Fagen and Becker's solo projects.

And right you were...

Dans reunites with McDonald for Summer Tour
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

GrizBearStare wrote:
timmay wrote: the werd I heard is Fagen took it easy for the Morph tour because of a late summer Steely tour to support both Fagen and Becker's solo projects.

And right you were...

Deece!

It took me a few listens of the bridge to "I Got The News" to pick up his voice. I would love to see that show only if MM promises not to sing anything from his Motown covers albums. They suck. Big time. He can really do "Sweet Freedom" and "What a Fool Believes" and then get off the stage IMO.
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

Invictus wrote:
GrizBearStare wrote:

And right you were...

Deece!

It took me a few listens of the bridge to "I Got The News" to pick up his voice. I would love to see that show only if MM promises not to sing anything from his Motown covers albums. They suck. Big time. He can really do "Sweet Freedom" and "What a Fool Believes" and then get off the stage IMO.
I will allow him to sing "I Keep Forgettin'" also, but other than that you are spot on - those songs are awful. In MM's defense, I think he made a truckload on selling those songs for commercial use. So, he got over in that sense.

I will be at the White River Ampitheatre show either way.
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

GrizBearStare wrote:
Invictus wrote:
GrizBearStare wrote:

And right you were...

Deece!

I will allow him to sing "I Keep Forgettin'" also, but other than that you are spot on - those songs are awful. In MM's defense, I think he made a truckload on selling those songs for commercial use. So, he got over in that sense.

"I Keep Forgettin" is one I forgot about. Thanks. Three songs and that he can take a seat in the front row. My mother tried to convince me those Motown albums were not wretched. That didn't work.

They are coming to Charlotte and Atlanta. Sweet! I gotta decide if I want to see both shows and who to take. When I saw SD in at the United Center, my ex-girl didn't appreciate what she was experiencing so that ruined the show for me.
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

Invictus wrote:
GrizBearStare wrote:
Invictus wrote: Deece!

"I Keep Forgettin" is one I forgot about. Thanks. Three songs and that he can take a seat in the front row. My mother tried to convince me those Motown albums were not wretched. That didn't work.

They are coming to Charlotte and Atlanta. Sweet! I gotta decide if I want to see both shows and who to take. When I saw SD in at the United Center, my ex-girl didn't appreciate what she was experiencing so that ruined the show for me.

...and thus the "ex" in ex-girl

:twisted:
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Tix went on sale 11 minutes ago for the 8/12 Charlotte show. Just got two and I no doubt probably paid too much money for the great seats that they are but I really didn't want to wait. I was gonna go to the 8/7 show in Atlanta but I need to think if I want to spend more cayshe like that.

The best thing is that I didn't use Ticketmaster to buy my tickets. Bode.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

fuck you haters. Minute by Minute by Minute by Minute I keep telling you McDonald put out a deece album.
this entire album is legit. It may not be the Doobie Bros, but it is legit.

WAR ROACH GATEFOLD SLEEVE!

you ever see the Michael McDonald summer camp skit on Conan? There was a camp counselor explaining the buddy system to kids to the tune of "What a Fool Believes". Fucking hilarious.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

I call bullshit Bakedf. McDonald's solo stuff was hit ("Sweet Freedom," "What A Fool Believes," "Sweet Freedom," and maybe "On My Own")or miss (all of this crappy new Motown fluff) and I think I might go take piss breaks from the watered down beer during his set at the show.

One of the best parts in "The 40 Year Old Virgin" is when the owner of the store plays the Michael McDonald concert vid all day every and one of the workers says that he would rather watch "Beautician and the Beast" than listen to McDonald sing "Yamo B There" one more time. Brilliant. I knew exactly how he was feeling.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I never said shit about his solo stuff. That Motown stuff pisses me off especilally the Four Tops cover currently on the tube.

still, michael mcdonald is 314 so bode.
why is my neighborhood on fire
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

Did Skunk Baxter ever try drugs?
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

One week till the show bump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6XI4kba_a8

This is an excellent bootleg.

Pretty jazzed for next weekend.
by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:30 am
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:

Right. Because unlike you, I actually respond to Vic. He's a funny poster
trev
New Sheriff in Town