Question for music aficionados

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Question for music aficionados

Post by Killian »

Or music snobs, I don't know which one is PC or which one you prefer.

Anyway, I've been flipping through iTunes listening to their 30 snippits of songs and I've run across a few that I would like some opinions on, if any of you have their CD's.

I am far from a music snob, so if any of these people/groups are main stream, I apologize in advance. I have never heard of them.

Here we go:

Noam Weinstein
Keane
Jane Jensen
Neutral Milk Hotel
Shins
Wisely
Spoon
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Neutral Milk Hotel - Aeroplane over the Sea

Very good, but it'll take a few listens to enjoy it. On Avery Island is good too.

I don't know enough about/am not a big enough fan of the rest to give feedback on.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

The Shins and the Spoons are definitely critic's choices. Keane, on the other hand, is like Coldplay, but without any guitars and the guy sings in a lower pitch.

I have a few Shins songs and several Spoon CDs. My favorite is "Kill the Moonlight." It's on my list of all-time favorite CDs.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i like the Shins alot. esp. the LP Chutes too Narrow.
it's poppy and tuneful.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Shins - Download now. Happy music.
Neutral Milk Hotel - LOVE! Download as well. More mellow.
Keane - OK, but that album put me to sleep. Lots of friends like them though!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If you like the brand of pop that is preferred by today's disaffected youth, those bands are for you.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Dinsdale wrote:If you like the brand of pop that is preferred by today's disaffected youth, those bands are for you.
So you don't know too much about them, either?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The "disaffected youth" of today isn't listening to Neutral Milk Hotel. They're listening to Mike Jones and Juelz Santana.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:If you like the brand of pop that is preferred by today's disaffected youth, those bands are for you.
I used to feel the same way. Then I started listening to some of the bands Patsy has posted YSI links for. Most of it has found its way into my iPod's rotation. So maybe this stuff (none of which I have ever heard of before) isn't all that bad? Maybe she could squeeze a YSI link in between posts about her supervisor's polyester pant suits? ;)
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

BSmack wrote:
I used to feel the same way. Then I started listening to some of the bands Patsy has posted YSI links for. Most of it has found its way into my iPod's rotation. So maybe this stuff (none of which I have ever heard of before) isn't all that bad? Maybe she could squeeze a YSI link in between posts about her supervisor's polyester pant suits? ;)
Definitely. I will post some soon. Have to go to my parents' tonight so maybe when I get home? Got some new stuff to shizzare. :)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Killian wrote:
So you don't know too much about them, either?
Heard them all.

I was just offering a very broad overview based on the perspective of a not-too-big a fan of modern pop.

Remember, about 15% of the bands you listed live in my town, and play/hang out at the clubs I frequent(although not nearly so "frequent" anymore). The rest of them will probably jump on the bandwagon and move here in the next few months, or so the Law of Averages dictates.

The current set of indie/pop bands aren't really an area of interest for me, but more of a pest.

Just offering perspective, that's all. If you're a big pop fan, then those bands are certainly worth a listen.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Just offering perspective
Since when does being an attention-whoring asshole qualify as "offering perspective"?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Just offering perspective
Since when does being an attention-whoring asshole qualify as "offering perspective"?
rack the fuck out of that balst.

the shins are the shit and spoon is great. the shins sound simple, but i have a friend who has been playing guitar for eight years and he said he can't play new slang, which i always thought was a very simple song. i don't play any guitar, either.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Since when does being an attention-whoring asshole qualify as "offering perspective"?
You say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to...you know.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

The current set of indie/pop bands aren't really an area of interest for me, but more of a pest.
Just taking up and wasting perfectly good club space.

Like the youth market drives the industry. They are too fucking stupid to know good music / artist's if it smacked them in their metal studded grilles.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Keane is the only one off that list I've heard.
"Somewhere Only We Know" gets airplay on WXPN, the UPenn (Philly) station simulcast in Harrisburg,
the only place in local radio I don't hear stuff that's been played to death for years.

xpn.org
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)