Cost of your broadband service?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Cost of your broadband service?

Post by jiminphilly »

I had DSL service with Verizon at $15/month for 768k speed. That was the max speed I could get up until recently because of my distance to whatever the place is that sends out the signal.

I refused to pay Comcast the $43 a month they wanted for their service considering I already have my digital cable service with them and their prices are high and climbing with no real competition. (while I could get the dish, there is a channel run by comcast that broadcasts all flyers and philles games, plus college basketball that is not available on the dish).

Recently Verizon installed fiber optic cables in my neighborhood and offered a few plans with the cheapes being a 5mb up/2mb down service for $19.99 for 6 months and $34.95 after that. (I get $5 off that price for having my phone and cell phone service with Verizon).

While those speeds I mentioned are not guaranteed I checked my actual speeds on a few sites and I am easily getting 5mb down. I play a lot of online games so I'm obviously pumped about the increased speed.

What kind of prices are you paying and for what speed?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

I work for Cox Communications, so I'll take my 5/2 service free please :P

Just to piss you and your wife off further Jim, my total monthly HD,digital cable with all the movie channels, phone and high speed internet bill is roughly $30. Thanks for askin' :)
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Cueball wrote:I work for Cox Communications, so I'll take my 5/2 service free please :P

Just to piss you and your wife off further Jim, my total monthly HD,digital cable with all the movie channels, phone and high speed internet bill is roughly $30. Thanks for askin' :)

stfu! :x

That's a nice beni!

So when is Cox coming to PA? (don't get excited PSU, I mean the company).
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

$42.95/month. 6.0 down, 384 up.

My wife's company pays for it so it actually costs me nothing. WAR free broadband.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

About $50/month, but my compay pays for it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Verizon does 6 meg now? Cool.

I live a few blocks from their CO (one of the few benefits I can think of from backing on to a seriously busy business highway), and have always been given their fattest speed, regardless which package I pay for.

I get the 3meg/768K(? I think) for $29.95. Around here, if you have Comcast digital TV, they'll spot you the internet for about $55 a month, more if you're not a digital cable subsciber (insert huge rolleyes here).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

A 5mb up/2mb down service for $26.99 as long as I have my verizon house phone.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Dinsdale wrote:Verizon does 6 meg now? Cool.

I live a few blocks from their CO (one of the few benefits I can think of from backing on to a seriously busy business highway), and have always been given their fattest speed, regardless which package I pay for.

I get the 3meg/768K(? I think) for $29.95. Around here, if you have Comcast digital TV, they'll spot you the internet for about $55 a month, more if you're not a digital cable subsciber (insert huge rolleyes here).

If you have the regular DSL service (by regular I mean the signal from the outside still travels on copper not fiber optics) you probably can get more than 3meg/768 for ~$10 more. I'd check their prices. They have been changing recently to get more competitive with comcast.

Verizon actually offers a tv services on their fiber service to certain markets in VA. I guess they convert the signal to a cable wire once it enters the home?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I live in the Portland area, which is actually way ahead of the game for internet stuff (and I realize Philly is, as well). Every major street in town has had fiber under it for quite some time. It's actually a law that any time a major arterial is repaved, it has to have fiber installed, or some shit like that.

I can get what they call the "business DSL" which gives the highest speed, but in the past, every time they've upgraded the routers and whatnot, they automatically give me the higher speed, regardless what I'm paying for...which is pretty cool, methinks. When they first had the 3 meg option, they asked if I wanted to pay the extra $10 a month for the 3 meg, but told them "nah, the 1.5 is plenty fast." Their response was "how about we just give it to you anyway?" Yeahhhh, buddy.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

I have a small business account, so I pay around $85 bucks a month for 7/1 bandwidth, plus web hosting and other crap I can't even think of right now. If I needed any more I could leech off the 50 or so open wireless networks around me.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Donovan wrote:I pay around $85 bucks
That's like $.12 in US currency, right?

One heckuva deal.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Donovan wrote:I have a small business account, so I pay around $85 bucks a month for 7/1 bandwidth, plus web hosting and other crap I can't even think of right now. If I needed any more I could leech off the 50 or so open wireless networks around me.
$85 for 1 DOWN is terrible, especially as a small business plan.

Who's your ISP?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Shaw, and it's 7mb down, 1mb up.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Donovan wrote:Shaw, and it's 7mb down, 1mb up.
Whoops.
:oops:

($85 is still a lot of money, though)
Why don’t you just STFU.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Martyred wrote:$85 is still a lot of money, though
Tell me about it. If you can find me a better deal here in Calgary I'd love to hear it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Is Shaw the only cable carrier in town?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Yup, if you don't count a couple of notorious resellers.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Dinsdale wrote:
Donovan wrote:I pay around $85 bucks
That's like $.12 in US currency, right?

One heckuva deal.
Actually, that would be about $75 in US currency today and probably closer to $80 in US currency by the spring.

As for myself..

$40 per month/ 6.0 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload.

Tested at http://speedtest.cogeco.net/
Your download speed : 3525 kbps or 440.6 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 790 kbps or 98.7 KB/sec.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Your download speed : 5533 kbps or 691.6 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 945 kbps or 118.2 KB/sec.

Well worth the 12 cents.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

2006-02-06 21:30:46 EST: 1216 / 321
Your download speed : 1216 kbps or 152 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 321 kbps or 40.2 KB/sec.

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

What college games do you not get on dish that you get on cable? I have cable and am about to switch to direct TV because of all the games on it. My father has dish network and he gets every game I get and then some. Some of the games are just off the wall like Central Arkansas/Arkansas-Pine Bluff and other weird match ups that I normally wouldn't even imagine a television crew thinking about being at.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I'm switching to SBC's top of the line DSL service on Friday. $60/month ~ wife's company paying for it. My cable service has been a bit spotty lately.
Last edited by Rack Fu on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Donovan wrote:Your download speed : 5533 kbps or 691.6 KB/sec.

Well worth the 12 cents.
That's a bit less than 7/1 isn't it?
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

SunCoastSooner wrote:What college games do you not get on dish that you get on cable? I have cable and am about to switch to direct TV because of all the games on it. My father has dish network and he gets every game I get and then some. Some of the games are just off the wall like Central Arkansas/Arkansas-Pine Bluff and other weird match ups that I normally wouldn't even imagine a television crew thinking about being at.
Do not get the Dish Network! I've had Direct TV for nearly eight years now and enjoy it, that is when it's not raining or snowing. :?
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Mister Bushice wrote:
Donovan wrote:Your download speed : 5533 kbps or 691.6 KB/sec.

Well worth the 12 cents.
That's a bit less than 7/1 isn't it?
It is, but that's the nature of speed tests; They give you a ballpark figure that varies according to your distance from their server. I often download from newsgroups at a rate of 6.5kbps or more, but being on cable that can be lower during peak times.