Let's talk recruiting

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Let's talk recruiting

Post by Killian »

It's come to that time of the year, there is nothing else to talk about and I'm bored as fuck. We've had the overrated/#1 threads, so here's the recruiting one.

Let's hear your teams' strengts and weaknesses.

Notre Dame:

QB:
Notre Dame did very well here. They took Zack Frazer and Demetrius Jones early and turned down Mitch Mustain. Mustain reopended his recruitment later on specifically to see if he could get an offer from ND, but Weis kept his word to Frazer and Jones. Solid group here, and they have a great shot at Jimmy Clausen next year.

RB:
Great group here. They got a stud in James Aldridge and got another solid back in Munir Prince. To give you an idea of what kind of players they are, Aldridge is more in the LenDale White mold, and Prince is more in the Bush mold. Will they play the same way? Probably not. But those are the types of players they are. Aldridge is enrolling early so he has a chance to be the #2 back by the time fall practice comes around.

FB:
Got a good player in Luke Schmidt who played TB for his high school team. He's a huge kid (6'4", 235) so he could play a couple of different positions. Good get.

TE:
Got one of the top TE's in Konrand Rueland. Great player. Also got a kid who is coming in on a LAX scholarship in Will Yeatman. Solid prospect who might play TE or OT for ND.

WR:
4 solid players, no real game breaker. The questionable offer was Barry Gallup, but he turned some heads during the practice for the AA game, even Ted Ginn Sr. was talking the kid up. Will Blackmon from BC went against the kid during the summer and said he's the real deal. He played in a small conference and played RB in high school. We'll see how he does. They got Richard Jackson out of FL who is a really good prospect, but Miami and FSU didn't go after him at first. Looks a lot like Derrick Mayes. Robbie Parris is a kid who looks a lot like Jeff Samardzija on film. He had a serious hip injury, but he's back playing basketball. George West is a player who could play WR or CB, but will start off on offense. He is said to be a good special teams player and he's enrolling early, also.

OL:
The greatest offensive line haul of anyone in the country, from top to bottom. Star wise and recruiting cohort wise, this group may be the best group in a long time. Many made a big deal out of Iowa's offensive line group last season, this group is better. They have 6 kids, 5 are 4 star or above (on both sites) and Bartley Webb is a 3 star on one service and 4 on the other. Sam Young, Matt Carufel, Dan Wenger, Chris Stewart, Eric Olsen and Bartley Webb are all very, very good players. This was an absolute homerun by Weis because of the lack of offensive lineman on the roster.

DE:
So-so. They got a WDE prospect in Kallen Wade, and a SDE prospect in John Ryan. They both have potential, but they are both a bit of a project. Wade is undersized for a WDE, and John Ryan is undersized for a SDE. Jurry still out.

DT:
Absolute swing and a miss by Weis and co. They needed an impact DT that could step into the two deep, and they went after Gerald McCoy hard, but missed out on him. Chasing McCoy also caused them to lose out on Butch Lewis. They did pass on players like Lawerence Marsh and Jason Kates. ND needs two impact kids in the next class or it will be a very, very big problem.

LB:
Decent class. They got an outside guy in Morrice Richardson and an inside guy in Toryan Smith. Richardson has never played LB in high school, but that's where he's projected for ND. They have a safety in Jashaad Gaines who may slid down to OLB. Smith may get some playing time as a freshman.

FS/SS:
Decent, but they struck out on Taylor Mayes and Steve Brown. They have some solid players in Gaines, Sergio Brown and Leonard Gordon. Too early to tell.

CB:
Great class. They got Darrin Walls, who was the #1 CB on rivals before the season, and Rasheon McNeil who played very well in the Army AA practices and game. He's making a late visit to UF, but not many are concerned with that. Walls and/or McNeil have a chance to come in and compete for the nickle spot right away.

K:
Went after Kai Forbath, told him he needed to make a choice by September, he didn't so they got Ryan Burkhart. He's a kicker, what else is there to say. Just don't fuck up and no one will ever know who you are, and that's the best you can hope for.

Overall, a very,very good class. ND will be in the top 5 this year. Walls, McNeil, Smith, Jackson, Young, Stewart, Aldridge and possibly Prince and West will play significant minutes next year.

The way things are going for next years class, I would be shocked if they weren't in the top 2, if not #1. They are going to get some scary offensive skill positon players next year.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

fyi...Luke Schmidt has not been in the last few basketball games. I'm not sure why. Don't know if he is hurt, training for ND football, quit the team, etc. I can try to find out.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Killian

Post by Killian »

IndyFrisco wrote:fyi...Luke Schmidt has not been in the last few basketball games. I'm not sure why. Don't know if he is hurt, training for ND football, quit the team, etc. I can try to find out.
Yeah, I'd appreciate it. I didn't know he played basketball.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, he's not much of a basketball player. Great on the boards. Can't get furhter than 10 feet from the basket to make a shot.

Just got a message from my brother in law that he has been out due to kidney stones. Poor kid. I've had those twice. I think I'd rather have a torn ACL than kidney stones again...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Had kidney stones once. The most pain I've ever been in my entire life, and I've broken four bones and wrenched my knee more times than I can count.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

^^^ I had a kidney stone back in college while I was out on the golf course. That's pain I wouldn't wish on anybody.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

L45B wrote:^^^ I had a kidney stone back in college while I was out on the golf course. That's pain I wouldn't wish on anybody.
You and Schmidt (and Indy, for that matter) were pretty young to get them. I was 39 when it happened to me.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Nolesy
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nolesy »

I love it when a thread takes a 90 degree turn and heads off into tangent land.

BTW, I to am wondering how these "pups" got kidney stones.
Fuck the ACLU. It will always be Merry Christmas to me.

Barrack Obama is lib speak for Jimmy Carter
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

FSU

QB - Have two quality sophs at QB, but they signed two good young prospects in Ponder and Richardson.

RB - We are loaded at RB but we will add Spiller who is the #1 all-purpose back in the country.

WR - Loaded here as well but they will sign either McDaniel, Matthews(#1 wr in fla) or both.

OL - Biggest need. Now that Lewis is gone, FSU needs to bring a big class. Currently 5 they have 5 commits w/ three more possibly coming in Rose, A Smith and Brandon Walker. If we get just 2 of those guys I will be really happy w/ the lineman we brought in.

DL - Have signed 3 top notch DTs. That gives FSU a 5 man rotation at DT and will give them a chance to keep fresh guys coming in. We put a DT in the 1st day of the draft every year, so I expect more DT to sign w/ us each year. FSU signed McDaniel at DE and he will be a force in a year or two.

LB - What can I say. They just simply reload at LB. Nicholson and Sims are gone but Timmons and Hayes will step right in. Right now, Vardell and Rawlinson have comitted and I expect Morgan out of Texas to commit on his visit on the 27th.

DB - FSU loses two safeties in Watkins and Hall but they have signed two excellent prospects in Myron Rolle who should start immediately and Anthony Leon from Miami. I expect FSU to get one more quality corner in either Ojieke or Robinson.

Overall FSU will have a Top 7 class w/ 8-9 guys in the Rivals 100. I was worried about 2 months ago but one thing Bobby can do is recruit.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Verdell is listed as a DB so I wouldn't throw him into the LB pool at this point. I know he is projected as that, but we'll see.

Don't forget about Justin Mincey at DE....absolute stud at Hargrave. IF his grades are good, he'll be starting rotation next fall.

I really like our class this year. Hopefully we land Orlando Franklin to make it 7 OL's with two JUCO's that will be able to step right in.

Downside of this is that still, many of the recruits have not achieved qualifying test scores at this point. Also, Callahan Bright has failed to qualify from Hargrave and will either quit football all together or head to a JUCO.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Reuland disappeared in the playoffs this year after one big hit, he didnt even go after any balls. Same thing with the Army game, though he is a good pick up for the Irish.
USC's recruiting class is doing so so, the problem with going after all 5 star guys is that you dont know who youll end up with til very very late in the process and may lose out on some kids that would love to be a part of the program.
QB:
wasnt really a need this year with Mark Sanchez last year and Jimmy Claussen coming in next year, they made a late push for Tebow but he decided to stay home
RB:
became a major concern with the mass exodus for the pay for play league. Emmanuel Moody decommited from Texas and declared to USC at the Army game, that may have cost the Trojans Goodson, but 2 national recruit Staffon Johnson is going to stay home and play for the Trojans. Lesean McCoy looked like an early lock but decided to go to a military HS to get his grades and test scores up so he could get in, theres also been a lot of recent talk of #3 RB in the nation Kelland Williams coming to USC
FB:
not having a good blocking full back like Lee ebb from the 04 team on the 05 team was very very apparent in the Rose Bowl. Stanley Havili may be just that, plus he has the speed and hands to play the other roles that USC likes their fullbacks to play.
TE:
Anthony McCoy is a big body, not as large as Reuland but tougher and more athletic should fit in nicely. Juco Gerald Washington is a total stud with a huge body.
WR:
Vidal Hazleton, very fast and great hands and at 6-2 he seems to be more of a prize than Percy Harvin, he certainly looked better in the Army game. David Ausberry, also had an incredible game at the Army game and at 6-4 and still growing will make for a scary big wr corps at SC inthe coming years. Jamere Holland and Travon Patterson are both smaller burnwers who are expected to commit in the next couple weeks.
OL:
a Big need as now there are only about 16 O linemen on scholarship, SC recently lost out on Sam Young but are still very much in the hunt for #1 and #3 OL Andre Smith and Steve Schilling. Butch lewis and Zack Heberer are both on the way and are both great talents.
DL:
Derrick Simmons and Alex Parsons are both going to be great, gwerald McCoy is a dream on SC boards, he will stay home, the Trojans will need to get a few more kids to bloster the D line
LB
Last year USC easily had the top LB class, this year they only went out and got the #2 and #4LB recruits in the nation in Allen Bradford and Josh Tatum
DB
CJ Gable, Taylor Mays and Antwine Perez are all top 5 DB's 5 star studs and headed to USC, Shareece Wright is the one 4 star of the USC DB recruits so far, dont be surprised to see Jonas Moutan and Ray Small added to the list
Killian

Post by Killian »

I'm sure Reuland is a pussy, especially since he didn't commit to USC.

And I wouldn't be to confident on Clausen. I bet he commits to ND shortly after NSD. And they'll get Chris Gallipo and possibly Marc Tyler, too.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

SoCalTrjn wrote:...dont be surprised to see Jonas Moutan and Ray Small added to the list
That would be a surprise to me. I think he joins his Glenville buddies at Ohio State, personally.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Jonas Mouton will be a Longhorn if Offered. Texas is late in the process but he has Longhorn ties and family in Austin. Not to mention he is close with a couple of future Horns.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Killian wrote:I'm sure Reuland is a pussy, especially since he didn't commit to USC.

And I wouldn't be to confident on Clausen. I bet he commits to ND shortly after NSD. And they'll get Chris Gallipo and possibly Marc Tyler, too.

I think Clausen is going to USC. Univ of South Carolina that is.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

There are rumors all over Texas.rivals that Mouton committed on his visit! No confirmation yet but the rumor is started by a guy that is really connected to the program.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

I would by lying if I said I didn't pay attention to recruiting. I check the web at least once a day to see if there is any news regarding tOSU. However, I also look back at our past recruits and see the following:

Nick Mangold - 1 star
Rob Sims - 3 star
AJ Hawk - 3 star
Antonio Pittman - 3 star
etc....

And I don't worry too much. I think 4 and 5 star recruits get us all excited and I am real glad CWells is going to be a Buckeye but I know we will be OK no matter what happens. Yes, Reggie Bush was a 5'er, MClarrett was a 5'er but I am sure you guys all have similar stats as above. I think a good coach and a good supporting staff can make any team/player a contender.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

how many recruits are teams allowed to sign? I though it was about 20 every year, there are teams with 28 commits already, what do they wait til LOI day and then pick which commits they actually take?
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

ok I was wondering when I saw that Florida, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Okla State, Texas Tech and North Carolina are already over 25 and Texas, Georgia Oklahoma and Illinois are already at 25
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

So Cal...how can you say Rueland dissappeared in the playoffs? The kid only had 16 catches on the year. I think it's a matter of them not throwing the ball to him. He's a good catch for the Irish and Weis will turn him into a big time TE.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Reuland got thumped pretty hard by that kid in the Chino game, after they woke him up and got him to the sideline, he was pretty much done, was a total non factor in the Hart game
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

SoCalTrjn wrote:ok I was wondering when I saw that Florida, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Okla State, Texas Tech and North Carolina are already over 25 and Texas, Georgia Oklahoma and Illinois are already at 25
Texas only signed around 15 kids last year and have had 4 kids that are Spring term enrollies. In theory Texas can take 2 or 3 more kids.

After one semester our 2k5 class is now down to 13 kids, two runningbacks left after one semester for personal issues.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Nobody was a factor vs. Hart. Tadman blew and Moline was reduced to an average back. I guess if he was going to $C there would be some excuse as to why, but I guess since he's going to ND he's a non factor.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Yep, and rumor is he may have a current USC WR commit to throw to in the future. Good pickup for the Lions.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Killian wrote:Yep, and rumor is he may have a current USC WR commit to throw to in the future. Good pickup for the Lions.

Are you saying Hazelton is wavering?
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

PSUFAN wrote:WHOA! PSU snagged another QB...

http://www.dailylocal.com/site/news.cfm ... 7782&rfi=6

Miami is fucked at QB. They have no one coming in.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

I think Coker has kept the boat from sinking as long as he could, but this hurts.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Yep. Although, Vidal has to be eligible to go anywhere.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Yeah, I forgot to post this, but rumor is McCoy got his girlfriend pregnant, so he's staying close to home.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Killian wrote:Yep. Although, Vidal has to be eligible to go anywhere.
Vidal is rumored (by PSU fans, of course) to be considering PSU. I was dubious of the Devlin rumors, but I was dead wrong.

Today, Antonio Logan-El is announcing. He has been a Terp lock, but don't be shocked if he goes to PSU as well. If so, this class might be top 5...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

PSUFAN wrote:
Killian wrote:Yep. Although, Vidal has to be eligible to go anywhere.
Vidal is rumored (by PSU fans, of course) to be considering PSU. I was dubious of the Devlin rumors, but I was dead wrong.

Today, Antonio Logan-El is announcing. He has been a Terp lock, but don't be shocked if he goes to PSU as well. If so, this class might be top 5...
Yeah, I'm still very skeptical of the Vidal rumors, PSU. I wanna believe 'em, but just can't bring myself to. I'd much rather a huge surprise than a big letdown anyways. Guess there is SOME truth to it given that he is visiting PSU This weekend though, eh?

We'll see what happens today w/Logan-El. Would be such a nice get for the program and would assure a top 5 recruiting class (I still think it might be w/Devlin now on board).
Ken

Post by Ken »

... further, in the link you supplied about Vidal, it appears it's just his father visiting PSU this weekend? Odd, I guess.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

SoCalTrjn wrote:...dont be surprised to see Jonas Moutan and Ray Small added to the list
That would be a surprise to me. I think he joins his Glenville buddies at Ohio State, personally.
Small just gave his verbal to tOSU. We also picked up LB Thaddeus Gibson yesterday. Everyone's smiling in Buckeye Land.
Killian

Post by Killian »

And Mouton gave his verbal to Texas. Great call on the last two by socal.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Antonio Logen-El to PSU.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hey, PSU... turning out to be a great day for PSU.
Wake up to Devlin commit this morn, now Logan El. Most likely Taylor in a few!

If the Vidal rumors are true, what a class it would be.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
Killian wrote:Yeah, I forgot to post this, but rumor is McCoy got his girlfriend pregnant, so he's staying close to home.
Hadn't heard that, and based on many of his comments about religion I'd find it surprising.
I've heard it as well BtH. I think this rumor has legs... literally.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

holy shit! Maryland is getting throttled by JoePa.