Put off heisman voting?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Put off heisman voting?

Post by smackaholic »

Does anyone else believe that voting for the Heisman, college football's MVP trophy ought to put off till the season is done.

Would anyone in their right mind give it to anyone other than vince, today?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Not a bad idea. Either that or don't count bowl game stats on a player's college career stats.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

IndyFrisco wrote:Not a bad idea. Either that or don't count bowl game stats on a player's college career stats.

ABC was adding the TDs White was scoring to his season total. They were doing the same for Jarrett.

No question that Vince Young is the most valuable player in college football but it's hard to not say Reggie Bush was the most outstanding player. It's easy to judge both guys in a game of such magnitude but over the season, not a lot of debate was made over Bush winning the award originally. I was on the Vince Young bandwagon for a while...I was very impressed with his performance in Columbus. As the season roled on and Bush seemed to get better and was the MVP for the Trojans in some huge games...like the Notre Dame and Fresno State games. Last night, Vince Young legitimized himself in a lot of people's eyes if he hadn't done it before.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I've agreed with this line of thinking since 1990. :x
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Wouldnt have a problem w/ it. Shits overrated anyway.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

It only makes sense for it to wait 'til after the title game. I was of this contention when Weinke won it, then threw up all over himself vs. OU in the title game.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yep, and while we're at it let's wait until after the post season before we award the MVP in any pro sport.

I realize the MVP is for the regular season but...why? Why not make it for the entire season, including that defining part of the season that matters most?
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Killian

Post by Killian »

Van wrote:Yep, and while we're at it let's wait until after the post season before we award the MVP in any pro sport.

I realize the MVP is for the regular season but...why? Why not make it for the entire season, including that defining part of the season that matters most?
Don't most of them? I know baseball does, but I'll admit to being ignorant on the other 3 major sports.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Killian, yep, I was mostly referring to MLB there although if memory serves I believe the NBA also awards their MVP before the playoffs begin...

Can't recall when they do it in the NFL and the NHL.

I've just always thought it looked awfully poor to see MLB's MVP do a total tank job in the playoffs. In a really close MVP race it'd sure be nice to see post season performance be the deciding factor...
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Killian

Post by Killian »

Wait, I thought all the awards were given out (for Baseball) in November. I also thought after the season for NBA, also.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Killian wrote:Wait, I thought all the awards were given out (for Baseball) in November. I also thought after the season for NBA, also.
All the voting is done before the playoffs.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I disagree that we should wait til after bowl season to award the heisman or any other award for the reason that it puts all the athletes that don't go to bowls at a disadvantage. I know that if their not in a bowl it is highly unlikely they will win the Heisman, but I just like to keep it a level playing field as possible.

Vince deserved the Heisman and so did Reggie. I have 2 complaints about the system. One it pissed me off how the media pimped Reggie's monster game against Fresno State like it was the most amazing thing ever done. Looking back on the season it wasn't that impressive considering how bad Fresno played after that game and that those stats included kickoff returns. As many times as Fresno State kicked off in that game that was probably worth a few yards. Second, the voting reminds me of a presidental election with voters in the West voting for players in the west and voters in the east voting for guys in the east, then you have ex-Heisman winners voting for guys from their school exclusively. If there is a better way of doing it I don't know, but I hate the system.

As far as pro sports is concerned, I can only comment on the NBA since thats the only pro sport I watch. The way they award the MVP in the NBA is ok because they also have a playoff MVP they award. If you were to do the award at the end of the season there would only be one or two guys considered every year, Duncan or Shaq. I like that they recognize who was the MVP for each seperately and that the voting is seperate.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Killian

Post by Killian »

socal wrote:
Killian wrote:Wait, I thought all the awards were given out (for Baseball) in November. I also thought after the season for NBA, also.
All the voting is done before the playoffs.
Duely noted. Thanks.

I like the idea after the bowls because that's when each canidate will likely face their toughest competition.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Vito Corleone wrote:I disagree that we should wait til after bowl season to award the heisman or any other award for the reason that it puts all the athletes that don't go to bowls at a disadvantage. I know that if their not in a bowl it is highly unlikely they will win the Heisman, but I just like to keep it a level playing field as possible.
Yeah, but lets not pretend anyone not in a bowl game is going to be considerd for the Heisman anyway. That would be like a defensive player winning it (excluing Woodson), which we know doesn't happen.