did Doherty to Tulsa fall through?

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

did Doherty to Tulsa fall through?

Post by King Crimson »

seemed like it was a done deal....but i haven't heard anything about it for a while. I've been busy as hell so haven't been keeping up with things.
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

Dickie V. was pimping that deal online or on the tube a week or so ago. Haven't heard anything about it since.
Boom goes the dynamite.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Last story I saw about it ...

Not in town to interview
Doherty passes through Tulsa on his way to Stillwater for Cowboy broadcast.

BILL HAISTEN
World Sports Writer
01/22/2005
Tulsa World (Final Home Edition), Page B9 of Sports

Matt Doherty was in Tulsa on Friday, but apparently not for any reason related to the head-coaching vacancy at the University of Tulsa.

A college basketball television analyst, Doherty traveled to Tulsa from Los Angeles, where on Thursday he worked the Saint Mary's-Pepperdine telecast. On Saturday, Doherty provides color while Dave Armstrong does play-by-play during the Baylor-Oklahoma State ESPN Regional telecast.

The 12:45 p.m. OSU game is carried locally by KJRH channel 2 (Cox cable 9).

Attempts to reach Doherty by telephone have been unsuccessful.

A former coach at North Carolina and Notre Dame, Doherty is believed to have an interest in the TU position. In print and on television, ESPN's Dick Vitale has campaigned on Doherty's behalf.

This week, during a national teleconferece with sports writers, Vitale said, "The perfect guy for that job is Matt Doherty. He would bring the passion, the work ethic and his experience at Notre Dame and North Carolina. You can tell the athletic director, whom I've left a message for, that I would endorse Matt for that job."

After arriving in Tulsa on Friday, Doherty drove to Stillwater to watch Baylor and Oklahoma State practice.

Golden Hurricane athletic director Judy MacLeod has said that TU will not hire a coach before the end of the season.

Don Tomkalski, assistant athletics director for media relations, said Doherty did not meet on Friday with MacLeod or any other TU official. Tomkalski said the interview process may not begin until March.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

thanks RFan. it's kind of funny to me to see Vitale be so pumping it up about Doherty to Tulsa, leaving messages, blah blah blah, etc.

fact of the matter is Tulsa has had more NCAA tournament success over the last decade than Notre Dame i'd wager.

sure Tulsa is Tulsa and Notre Dame is Notre Dame...but names and results are often different things....despite what makes media ratings or expert blatherings.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

King Crimson wrote:sure Tulsa is Tulsa and Notre Dame is Notre Dame...but names and results are often different things....despite what makes media ratings or expert blatherings.
Yeah, some of these guys are so used to everybody telling them how "great" they are, they think they actually have an impact on coaching/personnel decisions.

Memo to Vital and other ESPN hacks: You're overpaid broadcasters with overblown egos. Concentrate on calling the game and stop trying to pretend your comments on coaching decisions and player transfers have any meaning whatsoever.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

if it were up to Dickie V. the NCAA field would be like 100 teams and *no coach* should *ever* be fired.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"