Fishing legend Eric Clapton?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Fishing legend Eric Clapton?

Post by Wolfman »

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/ar ... nd-w433301
Never knew this. I loved trout fishing back north for the same reasons. I guess Eric Clapton:fishing::Ted Nugent:hunting.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Fishing legend Eric Clapton?

Post by Dinsdale »

Fly fishing? Only 2 kinds of people fly fish -- people who ran out of bait, and homosexuals.

Actually, I rarely fish bait. Hardware guy here. Which hopefully gets me one bigger than Clapton's tomorrow. But I don't have to go to Iceland, just across town (before the sun bakes us off the water -- supposed to hit 102).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

My Dad and brother got into fly fishing, Orvis and all. They went out to Yellowstone, the Miramichi, etc. I just liked fishing small streams with worms.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:Fly fishing? Only 2 kinds of people fly fish -- people who ran out of bait, and homosexuals.

Actually, I rarely fish bait. Hardware guy here. Which hopefully gets me one bigger than Clapton's tomorrow. But I don't have to go to Iceland, just across town (before the sun bakes us off the water -- supposed to hit 102).
How did I know this was coming?

I was getting ready to post...

"In the U&L, we call that bait"

sin- you know who
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Have never went fly fishing, but would like to try.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

You have to cut Dins some slack, he is still one of these Portland guys who has not completely discovered the fishing in the high desert, although I am pretty sure he has tried it.

While I still fish a fair amount on the west side, I am sick and fucking tired of all the crowds, all the fucking gooks, and the fucking traffic trying to get to the coast. We bought some property in Crooked River Ranch about 12 miles north of Redmond. One of our sons lives in the area, and two more in Sisters. The Deschutes River, a world class trout and steelhead river is within 5 minutes, The Crooked River about the same, the Metolius a bit farther but easy drive. The pressure is so much less. This will be my permanent residence next year after some yuppie high tech weenie motherfucker buys my place.

Fly fishing can be an expensive sport, but I scored about $ 2,000 worth of gear at a estate sale for about $ 200. Not much bait fished over there except for some worms trolled on the high lakes for monster trout.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Fishing lore: One of my favorite spots was a small stream in the northern Catskill in NY called Panther Creek. The best part of the stream can only be reached by a steep descent down a small canyon. The stream is home to wild native brook trout. I bet not more that 6 people fish it during a year. When I lived up there, I could go fish in the morning and by noon be home with a creel full of the then limit of ten trout all around 10". Great eating, pinkish orange meat like salmon. Probably Dins knows that brook trout ain't really a "trout" in taxonomy, but related to the Arctic Char.
One time I was fishing there with my older son, who was around 10. He caught one of the fish and it's belly was quite swollen. HMMM. I wonder what he was eating. Cut it open and found a small snake, about 12" long inside its stomach. Those fish were like fresh water barracuda. Fun to catch. The walk back up to my car was always a bear.
Had a couple other favorite spots up near Redfield NY. Was a lot of fun.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote:You have to cut Dins some slack, he is still one of these Portland guys who has not completely discovered the fishing in the high desert, although I am pretty sure he has tried it.
It's been a few years since I fished the Dryside (unless you count Clear Lake). That stupid "mixing tower" or whatever they called it has sure fucked up the Deschutes, from what I understand (the bass showed up right after they fired it up). Whatever the problem was, the "solution" had an opposite effect.

And since they sell about the same number of licenses now as 20 years ago, it doesn't seem to support the "it's too crowded now" narrative, although the newer generation seems to think there's only one coastal stream that has any fish (sup Wilson).

Crowded? I fished Head of Channel last Sunday (and might again tomorrow St. Johns Bridge to the tip of Saivies Island). Couldn't have been more that 300-400 boats out there over the weekend. Yeah, it's crowded, but everyone plays nice (I haven't always had that experience in Oregon City), and there's plenty of room, and plenty of tasty chinook to be had. And it's a fairly short drive, if I leave before rush hour, although Oregon City is closer. And later on, the Columbia works, too. If you can't find elbow room on the Big River, you're doing something wrong. We usually go out of Chinook Landing in Troutdale, which gets us above most commercial traffic (which sucks when you're sitting on anchor in a little boat). Much beer is consumed sitting on the hook on the Big C.

But I might have to get out to the Deschutes one of these days, before that once-mighty fishery goes to hell.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Wolfman wrote:http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/ar ... nd-w433301
Never knew this. I loved trout fishing back north for the same reasons. I guess Eric Clapton:fishing::Ted Nugent:hunting.
Mentioning Clapton and Nugent in the same sentence should be cause for in an irrevocable ticket to Hell a Katy Perry concert.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:
And since they sell about the same number of licenses now as 20 years ago, it doesn't seem to support the "it's too crowded now" narrative, although the newer generation seems to think there's only one coastal stream that has any fish (sup Wilson).

Crowded? I fished Head of Channel last Sunday (and might again tomorrow St. Johns Bridge to the tip of Saivies Island). Couldn't have been more that 300-400 boats out there over the weekend. Yeah, it's crowded, but everyone plays nice (I haven't always had that experience in Oregon City), and there's plenty of room, and plenty of tasty chinook to be had. And it's a fairly short drive, if I leave before rush hour, although Oregon City is closer. And later on, the Columbia works, too. If you can't find elbow room on the Big River, you're doing something wrong. We usually go out of Chinook Landing in Troutdale, which gets us above most commercial traffic (which sucks when you're sitting on anchor in a little boat). Much beer is consumed sitting on the hook on the Big C.

But I might have to get out to the Deschutes one of these days, before that once-mighty fishery goes to hell.
I have given up on my beloved Wilson River. Too many zips and bank maggots to even bother anymore. The whole Oregon coast scene sucks anymore, the North Plains to Seaside weekend back ups confirm that. Too fucking many people. Fished the Columbia out of St Johns back in April on a Friday and picked up a decent Chinook up by the moored barges, only one we got. The fish count was 7 for 45 at 4 pm, but everybody lies to them to keep the numbers up and we did just that. We were going to fish that Sunday, but the Corps opened Bonneville up and dumped 3 fucking feet of water down the river and flushed the run up and gone.

I still will go out with my buddy a few times a year, we fished Astoria back in September and that fucking sea lion # 9 took a 20 plus chinook off my line. Felt like a freight train hit it. Felt like putting a 40 round into that fucking scavenger.

Fishing the Deschutes is still pretty fun. No fishing from a floating device at all, so it leaves a lot of river untouched. I fished the Middle Deschutes a month ago on the salmon fly hatch and hooked a couple of nice ones. I am going to hit it Friday night, and then maybe Saturday late afternoon, see what the hatch is. Thinking 3 Creeks Lake on Sunday and then Crooked River on Monday morning. Might run into 10 people in the process maybe. Oregon's fishing regulations are getting so complex, and are more intended to control the fishery instead of using good management practices.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Wolfman wrote: One time I was fishing there with my older son, who was around 10. He caught one of the fish and it's belly was quite swollen. HMMM. I wonder what he was eating. Cut it open and found a small snake, about 12" long inside its stomach.
Purchased a Lunkerhunt linked walking bait in the garden snake color last year and it has been $$$ for me when I fish top water.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote:Fished the Columbia out of St Johns back in April on a Friday and picked up a decent Chinook up by the moored barges

I assume you mean the Willy, and the barges just downstream from Cathedral, on the East side?

The fish count was 7 for 45 at 4 pm, but everybody lies to them to keep the numbers up and we did just that.

Bite your tongue. No one EVER lies to the fish-checker. Especially not the daily hardcores who are trying to keep the quota numbers down. I'm going to have faith in Fish and Feathers that they have people who are intelligent enough to realize that the people who catch themost fish are lying to them... I mean, they're state workers, so they must be super-smart.

Which makes me wonder how many people stash their halibut before coming into port? I know some folks who have been catching the shit out of them. Always seemed like a ton of effort to me (even though I get occasional chances to go). And if there's an annoying person on the boat, they have a captive audience for a few hours. And KCDave's woman can't dole out BEATINGS like Mr. Pacific can. About a month ago, a friend of mine went, and sat down briefly to fix his shoe, or some shit... BAM. His broken tail bone is still healing.

Fuck a buncha ocean fishing. Awesome catches to be had (I've never done tuna, either), but the effort, stress, and expense can be a bit much... and that whole "people die all the time doing that shit" thing.

Good luck this weekend.