Re: California - On the brink

Post by Moving Sale »

American names?
You're funny.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

They were overruled by the student leadership.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
titlover
Eternal Scobode

Post by titlover »

Expel them
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

88 wrote:
titlover wrote:Expel them
Naw, they have a First Amendment rights to speak, particularly on political issues. Instead, encourage them, but do not force them, to use their time in college to obtain an education. In other words, show them what makes the things symbolized by our country's flag worth fighting for.
Exactly...

Get that college education and when you try and go get that 6 figure job you've always dreamed about, don't be surprised when they Google up your name and laugh you out the door. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame because it's gonna cost you for a long, long time.

Karma's a bitch.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Y2K wrote:
88 wrote:
Naw, they have a First Amendment rights to speak, particularly on political issues. Instead, encourage them, but do not force them, to use their time in college to obtain an education. In other words, show them what makes the things symbolized by our country's flag worth fighting for.
Exactly...

Get that college education and when you try and go get that 6 figure job you've always dreamed about, don't be surprised when they Google up your name and laugh you out the door. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame because it's gonna cost you for a long, long time.

Karma's a bitch.
:bode:
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Y2K wrote:
88 wrote:
Exactly...

Karma's a bitch.
Like they were going to hire a guy named Negar anyway.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I'm sure the homeopathic herbal therapy outfit he is going to be working at will view this as a plus.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Goober McTuber wrote:Like they were going to hire a guy named Negar anyway.
Like names really hold people back from getting jobs.

Sin,
BHO
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Diego in Seattle wrote:

Sin,
BHO

How would we know? Dude never had a real job.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Diego in Seattle wrote:

Sin,
BHO

:bode:
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

Well, with their $150,000+ student debt and no readily available conventional job they could always fall back on the wildly profitable wind chime manufacturing and sales cottage industry... :meds:
Cock o' the walk, baby!
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

My daughter is a freshman at UCI and we were having a text message conversation about this the other night. She started making some limp-wristed arguments siding with the fur'rn kids to try to get a rise out of me. I sent her this youtube link in reply,

it got a chuckle out of her.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Been listening to various folks talk about the water situation saying that it was a solvable problem if they just stop letting so much water run into the pacific.

Is this the case? What would happen if they captured a sizable part of the Sacramento river? Would it full up SF bay? I suspect it would affect some fish populations, but oh well
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:I suspect it would affect some fish populations, but oh well

Here in Oregon, our salmon runs are worth several billion dollars in total economic impact. Mostly sport fishing, but the commercials make some bucks, too.

The Sacramento used to have great salmon runs, which are in a slow recovery.

BTW -- where, exactly, are you planning on building a dam in SF Bay? At the Golden Gate? I think I see a problem with that plan.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Agriculture in CA is 80% of water use and 2% of gdp. Our water problems are easily fixed if someone would stand up to the AG industry. And yes I know about their historical "right" to water.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The dam would have to be somewhere on the sac. Not being familiar with the topography I wouldn't have a clue where that would be. It would full the salmon but I doubt that is as important as the AG industry.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:It would full the salmon but I doubt that is as important as the AG industry.
Are you retarded? (Irreplaceable) natural resources are less important than agriculture that can be done in many other places?

See, there's this thing called the "food chain," and when you start removing (important) links, well... do the math.

And BTW -- you're really sounding dumb here. Uhm, ever heard of Lake Shasta?

In the Sacramento Valley, as anyone who has ever driven through it will tell you, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dam.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

smackaholic wrote:Not being familiar with the topography, unless it's on an online quiz I wouldn't have a clue where that would be.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

R-Jack wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Not being familiar with the topography, unless it's on an online quiz I wouldn't have a clue where that would be.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

blow me.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:
smackaholic wrote:It would full the salmon but I doubt that is as important as the AG industry.
Are you retarded? (Irreplaceable) natural resources are less important than agriculture that can be done in many other places?

where else could you grow that food, year around? florida might be able to pick up some of the slack, but, not likely all of it

See, there's this thing called the "food chain," and when you start removing (important) links, well... do the math.

And BTW -- you're really sounding dumb here. Uhm, ever heard of Lake Shasta?

In the Sacramento Valley, as anyone who has ever driven through it will tell you, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dam.
Yeah, i've heard of it. Musta been on an online quiz somewhere. Is it the dammed up sac? Maybe they don't need to build a damn then. Just suck more of it out rather than dump it into SF bay. Maybe they could even turn it on and off seasonally when the salmon are running. As I have said, I'm no expert of cali river systems by any stretch, but according to some fukks I have heard, it would seem that they could use what they have a little better. If it kills off some salamander or whatever the fukk, too bad.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not that simple, Smacko.

First, salmon kiddies live in the river 365 days a year.

Next, they pretty much suck every ounce of non-brackish water out of the Sac as they can (I'm not a NoCal guy, but I think up to about the Delta (big swamp at the confluence of the American River), the water isn't too good for agriculture... again, not my area, I just visit on an occasion).

You realize that they pump a river from the Kalamath Basin over the mountains into the Sac to keep it flowing, right? Yet if I drive down the Sac Valley in summer, it's a dry creekbed. Why? Because it only rains/snows for 2-3 months out of the year, and the amounts very extremely wildly.

Cali's neighbors to the north could pick up much of the agricultural slack, but has a shorter growing season. Actually, there's been pie-in-the-sky discussions of flooding the Oregon deserts and filling all the caverns (plentiful there) to make it an agricultural mecca... which sounds good, except that whole 3500'+ elevation thing. But daaaaaamn, irrigated shit grows awesome for about 4 months.

But hey, if Global Warming is fact (no, that wasn't typed with a straight face), Oregon is the new California for agriculture... so what if Southern Oregon doesn't have much in the way of soil.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I'm all or agriculture, but the dishonesty of some of their arguments is really breathtaking. You drive up and down Interstate 5 and you see all sorts of signs saying "no water no food" and shit like that.

California produces 50% of the nation's fruit and vegetables, on a $$ value basis. 50%. That means as much as the rest of the states combined. Food is important. Without the Central and Salinas valleys most of the rest of you would have no broccoli, no lettuce, no other veggies (or very little), especially in the winter. That being said, the two biggest water users, by far, are alfalfa and pasture (for grazing). Rice, cotton and almonds/pistachios come next, and all are water intensive. It takes about 1 gallon of water to produce each almond.

Next, and it's not on the chart, is my pool.

The thing is, California produces over 80% of the world's almonds and about 25% of the world's pistachios, and most are exported. We don't eat cotton. We also export huge amounts of alfalfa to China on all those container ships that are delivering iPhones and color TVs. This amounts to pretty much the same thing as selling our water to China. Should we be shipping water to China when we don't have enough to go around here?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:Every state should become it's own country.
Then we could annex Oregon and the good parts of Nevada and Arizona, and take their water.

Plus maybe drop a cruise missile on CenturyLink Field.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:good parts of Nevada
Oxymoron.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:good parts of Nevada
Oxymoron.
Well, yeah. I lived there for five years, four of them trying to get back to California.

I was just thinking in terms of water. A small part in the southern corner where the river forms the border with Arizona. Lake Mead could give us some extra storage too, assuming we cut the link to Vegas. Might stretch the border around Tahoe a few miles to the east as well, just so we don't have to share the lake.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Lake Tahoe is one of my favorite places on the planet. If I were el presidente of the peoples republic of cali, I would definitely send a few thousand troops in to beat the Nevadans back to Reno.

I would then go to the peace talks and offer them the SE corner of the state and Oakland as reparations.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Good sized chunks of south teeehas might be good for near, if not year around growing. Of course, getting water there could be a problem as well.

What about solar powered desalination? Is that feasible? Cali has a shit ton of salt water and sun.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

smackaholic wrote:Good sized chunks of south teeehas might be good for near, if not year around growing. Of course, getting water there could be a problem as well.

What about solar powered desalination? Is that feasible? Cali has a shit ton of salt water and sun.

They also have a ton of enviro whack jobs. They don't like that the intakes kill plankton and fish eggs. They also don't like that for every gallon of fresh water a desal plant produces, it also produces a gallon of hyper saline water. Basically double the salinity of the source water which then is mixed back into the ocean. Mikey might know if they have issues with solar generation.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:I'm thinking about going outside and turning our water on - and leaving it that way for a few hours or so. Just because I can. :P

Weren't you guys in the middle of a drought just a few years ago?
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

I saw the list of California crops and one major one isn't listed.

Pot

It uses a hell of a lot of water and it's a major problem in the foothills and mountains just east of my place. they divert feeder creeks and streams to run huge grow plots.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Good sized chunks of south teeehas might be good for near, if not year around growing. Of course, getting water there could be a problem as well.

They also have a ton of enviro whack jobs. They don't like that the intakes kill plankton and fish eggs. They also don't like that for every gallon of fresh water a desal plant produces, it also produces a gallon of hyper saline water. Basically double the salinity of the source water which then is mixed back into the ocean. Mikey might know if they have issues with solar generation.

They're getting ready to start up a major desal plant (50 MGD) right down the road from here. They've been tearing up the streets all around here for the past year and a half putting in huge new pipes. They skated the intake problem by piggybacking on an existing power plant, using the cooling water after it goes through the power plant as the input for the desal unit. That way they're using the existing intake, and there's also an energy advantage using water that's warmed up a little from its original temperature. I think they're using the existing outfall. Not sure how far offshore but they spend years showing that it would dilute fast enough in the ocean so as not to harm the marine life.

http://carlsbaddesal.com/desalination-plant

As for solar power -- seems like a compatible use but you need a lot of area to generate much solar energy from PV panels. People probably wouldn't want their beaches covered with solar arrays.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I don't think using solar to make electrons to desalinate would be efficient. I was thinking more along the lines of using solar to directly heat the water. Solar could get a good bit of water to 180 degrees. That is warm enough to get it to boil if you pull a vacuum on it. Moving stale and toolio could easily supply the vacuum as much as they suck.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

The next earthquake in your whiney ass fucks backyard can't happen soon enough...
Go Bucs, Gators
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:I'm thinking about going outside and turning our water on - and leaving it that way for a few hours or so. Just because I can. :P

Weren't you guys in the middle of a drought just a few years ago?
They did have one for a few years, but, the SEC can get caught up in 2 or 3 thunderstorms. I have been in Gulfport, MS during a good downpour. Pretty sure you can drown just walking outside during one. Seeing as balck folk can't swim, I am not sure how they get through it.