Gary Anderson to Oregon State

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Gary Anderson to Oregon State

Post by Dinsdale »

And probably took a pay cut to do it. Likely got tired of freezing his ass off.

Seems like a good hire after Jack Del Rio (whose kid is the next QB in line) and Bronco Mendenhall said no.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Dinsdale wrote:Likely got tired of dealing with that control freak, Barry Alvarez.
Fixed.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Looking like about a 50% pay cut.

Madison must REALLY suck, since I know Corvallis does (but at least it's close to really cool places).
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Madison is actually a very cool college town.

I'm pretty sure Andersen was aware of the weather and geography before taking the job. No, this reeks of something contentious behind closed doors.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Cue the return of Alvarez to coach the bowl game, perhaps more.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Madison is actually a very cool college town.
I suppose the same could be said of Corvallis -- if you're into that sort of thing.

Funny that Spray's point about avoiding freezing weather flies over some of y'all's heads... it actually does matter, and it actually does affect the quality of life.

That, and Alvarez is a douche.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And thinking about this -- I'd love to see him bring some good ol' fashioned B1G smashmouth here Out West. Be a nice change of pace (Stanford does it to an extent). OSU has a knack for pulling a ton of 2-star Islander monsters with names you can't pronounce.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Dinsdale wrote:And thinking about this -- I'd love to see him bring some good ol' fashioned B1G smashmouth here Out West.
Actually, I believe that was the main hangup in this situation. Gary Andersen did NOT want to play typical Wisconsin B1G smashmouth football. Rumor on the street is that he wanted to incorporate a spread offense and Barry didn't sign off on the playbook. As Mgo already noted, BA likes to meddle.

All I got to say here is Wisky had better stay far far away from Ohio State's offensive line coach, Ed Warriner. He'd be a perfect fit and all.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:I can't help but wonder if Luke Del Rio could have been the Tide's next great QB.
Not too many people are convinced he's going to be the next great Beaver QB (although I suppose if one looks at the pro ranks, the Beavs produce better next-level QBs than Bama).
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Barry Alvarez is an arrogant prick. And he wants Wisconsin to play football the way his teams played. I have no doubt that Alvarez was a significant factor in the departure of both of the coaches he hand-selected.

That being said, Andersen was in over his head. He didn't like being second-guessed by the fan base, and he wasn't very good at schmoozing with the boosters. He completely mishandled the QB situation and he obviously didn't have his team ready to play their biggest game of the season. Loved his DC, the OC was a wet-brained fucktard.

Andersen also complained that academic standards were too strict and he couldn't get the jucos he wanted admitted. Last year he had a premier DT lined up (local high school kid), but he didn't meet academic requirements and went to Michigan State.

Urban Meyer decided he wanted to build an SEC program in Columbus. Gary Andersen decided he wanted to build a WAC program in Madison. Fuck Gary Andersen.

Be interesting to see who Barry hires this time. Fan base wants Paul Chryst. Bad. But he worked here for 6 years years with Alvarez as AD, and if Alvarez is part of the problem, Chryst would certainly know that. Sparty's DC has been mentioned, as has Darrell Bevell (a non-starter). Should be interesting. And probably disappointing.

And a tip of the stocking cap to our resident weather pussies.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:Andersen also complained that academic standards were too strict and he couldn't get the jucos he wanted admitted. Last year he had a premier DT lined up (local high school kid), but he didn't meet academic requirements and went to Michigan State.
This seems to be a popular talking point out of Madison these days. I'm pretty sure Northwestern is the only school in the Big Ten with higher standards than what the NCAA Clearinghouse requires.

Evans didn't qualify for MSU when he signed either. His admission was contingent on getting his ACT up, which he did. That was always a lame, sour grapes excuse from Wisky fan.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Andersen also complained that academic standards were too strict and he couldn't get the jucos he wanted admitted. Last year he had a premier DT lined up (local high school kid), but he didn't meet academic requirements and went to Michigan State.
This seems to be a popular talking point out of Madison these days. I'm pretty sure Northwestern is the only school in the Big Ten with higher standards than what the NCAA Clearinghouse requires.

Evans didn't qualify for MSU when he signed either. His admission was contingent on getting his ACT up, which he did. That was always a lame, sour grapes excuse from Wisky fan.
Really?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Nice job linking us up to a chart for the general student population. :doh:

Every school in FBS save the Service Academies, MAYBE, allows athletes a much wider range of latitude in grades and scores for acceptance than they do for the general population.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And what makes you think that Wisconsin's athletes aren't required to place in a higher range than other schools? The Evans kid's first choice was Wisky. Even though he may have raised his ACT score a notch or two, it apparently wasn't good enough. Andersen is not the first coach to complain about Wisky's tighter academic standards. If that wasn't the case, I'm pretty sure they'd get called on it.

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I didn't say they weren't. I was pointing out that your chart means nothing.

Does Navy have higher standards for athletes than Nebraska? Absolutely. But until the schools publish their minimum acceptable scales, you can't have much of a discussion.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Left Seater wrote:But until the schools publish their minimum acceptable scales, you can't have much of a discussion.
Sure we can. I can insist that I'm right, and you're an ignorant asshole. :mrgreen:

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He was a strange fit for Wisconsin...can't be surprised that he'd move on. You aren't going to see them run the spread any time soon. They always have quality offensive lines and they can't stop producing stud running backs. Their bread and butter is big boy football.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Left Seater wrote:But until the schools publish their minimum acceptable scales, you can't have much of a discussion.
Sure we can. I can insist that I'm right, and you're an ignorant asshole. :mrgreen:

Cul de Smack says what?

:hfal:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/stor ... ter-121114

The above article does a good job of shedding some light on these mysterious "higher academic standards" at Wisconsin.
At Wisconsin, 13 high school credits must be considered "core college preparatory" classes (four years of English, three years of math, three years of natural science and three years of social science). However, unlike other institutions, Wisconsin also requires an additional four electives, which can include foreign language, fine arts, computer science or other academic areas. That last addition very well could be the difference between landing some talented prospects with marginal coursework.
So basically what this boils down to is, Wisconsin wants their recruits to take a few extra courses in underwater basket weaving or whatever. Whoopty fucking do. It's not about higher grades or entrance scores like Wisky fans want people to believe. And once the players are actually enrolled, they aren't expected to maintain any special requirements either:
Plus, once admitted to the school, the academic standards are no different than anywhere else. In fact, the requirements for students at Oregon State and Wisconsin are nearly identical.
Like I said, you aren't Northwestern and you aren't Stanford (a program that wins and doesn't seem to make excuses).

And then there's this:
Oregon State, meanwhile, requires 15 units of academic courses for admission. Like Wisconsin, the same 13 core credits are needed, but only two additional credits for a foreign language are necessary.

So only two less credit hours are needed for Oregon State targets? Wow, sounds like the recruiting life is going to be soooooo much easier on Andersen. I mean, with such less stringent standards, it's only a matter of time until he's hauling in the big fish and kicking Oregon's ass on a yearly basis. You know, like Mike Riley did for years. Yep, it sure sounds like academics are the reason Andersen bolted for the west coast. :meds:

But, but, but...he talked so glowingly about UW's academics when he took the job, so how could this be??
What is curious, however, is that when Andersen arrived, he lauded the school's academic reputation and, in fact, mentioned the word "academics" in some form 11 times during his introductory news conference.

"Academics are very important," Andersen said two years ago. "The academics at the University of Wisconsin and the athletic program as a whole are unbelievable. To say you have a football team that is a 3.0 GPA or very close to a 3.0 GPA is unbelievably impressive. That's a credit to the young men. It's a credit to the support and everybody that's around them at a quality university. A degree from the University of Wisconsin goes a long ways."

To then complain about the difficult standards of admission -- even in hushed closed circles -- seems, at best, naive and, at worst, hypocritical.
If there is a better example of KYOA, I'd like to see it.

Let's face it, no matter the academic requirements at Wisconsin, the main issue they will always face is... they're Wisconsin. You don't have any fertile recruiting grounds, and you aren't going to pull studs out of the south on a regular basis regardless of whether you're Harvard of the Midwest or Madison Community College. Wisky's success hinges on solid coaching and player development skills, always has and always will.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Goober McTuber wrote:Be interesting to see who Barry hires this time. Fan base wants Paul Chryst. Bad. But he worked here for 6 years years with Alvarez as AD, and if Alvarez is part of the problem, Chryst would certainly know that. Sparty's DC has been mentioned, as has Darrell Bevell (a non-starter). Should be interesting. And probably disappointing.
Pretty much looking like it's going to be Chryst. Madison guy, long working relationship with BA. Will run things similarly to the way BA did when he was head coach. Seems like a decent hire but still proves that most of the B10 ADs like to live on the cheap.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:I actually heard something on a sports radio station on the way back home tonight saying that Anderson "didn't like the Madison environment because they partied too much, and he didn't want his kids around it"...
So he moved to a place where weed is legal?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote: Funny that Spray's point about avoiding freezing weather flies over some of y'all's heads... it actually does matter, and it actually does affect the quality of life.
Kind of strange how you always hear that from people who don't live in cold weather.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Too bad birds aren't smart enough to turn up the thermostat or fly over to Bloomingdale's and charge a winter jacket to the Amex, ya know, so their vaginas don't get too cold.

Anybody making $2M+ in Madison can surely take a nice February vacation to somewhere with palm trees. For the majority of the year, Madtown would be a great place to live.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

L45B wrote:Too bad birds aren't smart enough to turn up the thermostat or fly over to Bloomingdale's and charge a winter jacket to the Amex, ya know, so their vaginas don't get too cold.

Anybody making $2M+ in Madison can surely take a nice February vacation to somewhere with palm trees. For the majority of the year, Madtown would be a great place to live.
This whole weather thing is funny to me. Yes, it gets cold up North, but if you like the place and the people, you'll endure some cold weather for a while. I lived in Northern California for a year and while we liked the weather and miss it sometimes, we missed home more. But looking back on it, while it was nice a lot, there were things I hated about it, like the 2 month drizzel of rain from January to the end of February that made driving on the Interstate miserable. After that, it was nice and green for a few months, until the lack of rain turned everything a nice light brown color for the rest of the year.

Spending a summer down South? I hope you like to sweat so much that your clothes will be streaked with salt stains because that's been my experience everytime I've spent time down south. Summer in Georgia was brutal in terms of heat and humidity. The two weeks I spent in December in Georgia was nice for a Nebraskan, but I had to laugh at all the people bundled up like they were in zero degree weather when it was only 45 degrees. I was in Fargo for 10 days one winter when it was a mild 20 degrees. I saw a movie and noticed that while I was bundled up like it was below zero, most people I saw were wearing light jackets.

If you're recruiting to a place that gets cold you mention the other 9 months of the year when it's really nice and tolerable. You point out that November is probably going to be the only month that's cold to play games in, so don't worry about it you puss. ;)
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:

How is that Evans kid working out, BTW?

L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

How is that Evans kid Chryst hire working out, BTW?
^ What I thought you were going to open with 8)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Reviewing this old thread reveals a couple of things:

- What a drunk I am

- How fucking delusional Sam is... how is that "stacked deep at QB" thing working out?

And we'll see of Andersen can go two straight years without winning a conference game. Unlike last season, they have only one cupcake, rather than 2. I think if he goes from 2 wins down to 1, the fanbase might start second guessing the hire.

I'm sure the fanbase is already thrilled that the AD suddenly bailed.

Rest easy, Beaverfan -- hoops will be here soon enough (and the Quacks will still kick your ass). OK, maybe wait for baseball.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote: Plus a commitment from another top QB, Tua Tagovailoa, who I'm afraid may bail since Hurts is playing so well.
Funny stuff.

You know he's "committed" to about half of all FBS teams, right?
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Yeah, bama's loaded at QB.

Oh, wait...

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index ... ts_article
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

schmick wrote:Troy Aikman was a quitter too, the NFL sure was scared of him

Not that barnett will ever be close to Aikman but lots of QBs transfer colleges, Cam Newton to name another
i know you are over-stating for effect but Aikman was the starter at Oklahoma his SOPH season in 1985 and Jerome Brown of Miami broke his leg 3rd or so game of the season. Aikman was out for the season....and FR Jamelle Hoieway won the MNC that year off the bench. even though Aikman was an Oklahoma kid and a lot of people were pulling for him...and Switzer flirted with the I and a more "pro style" a couple times in the mid 80's (but not that convincingly)...until he got hurt, Holieway was one of the best option qbs to play at Oklahoma and in the top tier for that era of BTPCF. UCLA suited AIkman a lot more.

not really the same scenario as a blue chip backing out because of either today's exaggerated recruiting hype or intra-squad competition. nor would i compare the circumstances of Aikman's transfer to UCLA (which Switzer and Donahue carefully managed) to the free-for-all recruitment of Cam Newton.

but you are right the NFL doesn't care. neither does BTPCF. nobody is writing anything but hosannas about Davis Webb but he transferred from T Tech, committed to Colorado but allegedly was not guaranteed the start...would have to compete with coming off -an-injury veteran Sefo Liufau (and Steven Montezi guess one has to say now)...and so he moved on to Cal.
Last edited by King Crimson on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sudden Sam wrote:
King Crimson wrote:the free-for-all recruitment of Cam Newton.
:lol:
i noticed that while typing....and let it go.... :grin:
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"