Firefox Warning

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

tough love
Agondonter

Firefox Warning

Post by tough love »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4532127.stm

Critical flaws found in Firefox

The Mozilla Foundation has said it is "working aggressively" to fix two flaws in its open source Firefox browser.
The vulnerabilities, reported on Saturday, were identified as "very critical", but no cases had been reported of them being exploited.

Several security firms identified the flaws which could let websites run malicious code on a person's computer.

Mozilla has responded by changing its update service and says people should temporarily turn off JavaScript code.

Manual downloads

The first flaw reported fools the browser into thinking software is being installed by a legitimate, or safe, website.

The second flaw happens when the software installation trigger does not properly check icon web addresses which contain JavaScript code.

A hacker could potentially take advantage of the security flaws to secretly launch malicious code or programs.

Mozilla advised people to download add-ons to its software manually from the Foundation's site.

Danish security firm Secunia said called the flaws "extremely critical" because cookie and history information could be used to get access to personal information or gain access to sites previously visited.

The Mozilla Foundation, which developed the browser, said it was working hard to provide a comprehensive and more permanent fix for the problems.
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

MicroTurd propaganda fear-mongering.

Mozilla/Firefox bugs get patched quick enough, and IE is still the worst browser ever.

Except for you, turdlove, keep using Internet Explorer. It's awesome.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Eversor
Crack Whore

Post by Eversor »

Update is already out for Firefox to patch the vulnerablities.
Came out last night.

Only you can prevent forum fires.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

CAUTION:
Credit Card Data Base Hacked:

Hackers put 40 million card users at fraud risk

More than 40 million credit card users have been put at risk of fraud after hackers gained access to a database storing card users’ details.

The security breach took place at a payment processing centre in Atlanta, and affects all brands of card, including 22 million Visa accounts and 14 million operated by MasterCard.

A MasterCard spokeswoman, Jessica Antle, said that only about 68,000 of its card holders are at "higher levels of risk", and that those customers should closely examine their credit or debit card accounts. Individual customers will not have to pay for any fraudulent transactions, which will be covered by the credit card companies.

The breach was reportedly caused by a hacker who gained access to the databases of CardSystems Solutions and installed a program that searched for details of transactions. However, Ms Antle said that customers would not be at risk of identity theft as only limited personal details are stored on credit cards.

The incident appears to be the largest yet involving financial data in a series of security breaches affecting valuable consumer data at major financial institutions. Two months ago, 180,000 HSBC customers were warned to replace their cards after a retailer’s card scanner was found to have retained transaction details.

The FBI is now investigating the fraud, which was discovered when CardSystems’ security systems detected an unusual pattern of transactions.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/artic ... 69,00.html
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Firefox website hacked
by Antony Savvas
Monday 18 July 2005

A marketing website used to promote the open source Firefox web browser has been hacked, and personal details of tens of thousands of Firefox supporters may have been compromised.

The spreadfirefox.com website, which is run by the Mozilla Foundation, was shut down for several days last week by the attack.
It is believed the attackers were trying to use the website as a vehicle to send out spam.

Mozilla is encouraging the site’s estimated 100,000 users to log in and change their passwords as a way of protecting their personal data held by the site.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/ ... hacked.htm

As F Fox get's bigger, it get's smacked more.
Pretty much backs up those who say that the only reason MS gets hacked as much as it does is because they make for a bigger target.

Hope no one here has been personally effected by this latest breach of a proven flawed technology.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

what technology would that be, TL? The HTTP protocol?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Fairly old news considering that it came out last week. Nice try smacking it when you obviously are not on top of this stuff.

Anyway, I hate to point this out but hacking a website has nothing to do with Firefox it self.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

ElTaco wrote:Fairly old news considering that it came out last week. Nice try smacking it when you obviously are not on top of this stuff.

Anyway, I hate to point this out but hacking a website has nothing to do with Firefox it self.
"... hacking a website has nothing to do with Firefox it self."

It does if slimy, Microsoft-bribed lackeys say it does.

YOU CAN HAVE MY 'FOX WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD FINGERS.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Posting 'em in here, when I see 'em on Google News (as a heads up), just in case they apply to some here.
I changed over to Fox back when it was brung up a Battys.

Hopfully; your reading that one week old didn't hurt your eyes, ET.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122058,00.asp

Hackers Crack Microsoft's Antipiracy System

Windows Genuine Advantage system first exploited within 24 hours of its launch.

Microsoft says that hackers managed to bypass a process it had implemented several days ago to ensure that users of Microsoft's update services possessed legitimate copies of Windows before they could download updates and content from those services.