Paying your income taxes...

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Paying your income taxes...

Post by Left Seater »

Yeah it sucks but come Monday I will be making a payment to the IRS.

Do any of you donkeys pay using a credit card? If yes do any of you do so with mileage earning cards and thru what portal?

I am considering paying ours this year with a Starwood branded card since miles transfer from Starwood to airlines at a 1:1 ratio and you get a 5,000 mile bonus anytime you transfer 20,000. Then again the AMEX points are always decent as well.

War waiting until the very last minute to pay.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Re: Paying your income taxes...

Post by R-Jack »

I got my refund a month ago.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I always get a refund. Yeah I know it's stupid to let the government use my money for free, but I'd rather do that than have to pay a bunch in April.

Also, I'm a procrastinator so I usually file the automatic extension and end up filing my return mid-August.

This year I got a big payout from Smackaholic for installing a PV system so I had my return pretty much ready to go before all of my 1099s arrived.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

getting ready to stroke a check for a little over 3 grand to pay for mikey's magic shade tree and Barry's golf vacations. I really need to start having them withhold more. It's not like the .000000027% interest I'd get in my bank is worthwhile.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

April 9th already. Guess I better get at it. At least I went over to the local library the other day and got my 1040s, instructions, and other forms. I shouldn't have to pay too much this year as I didn't work a lot in 2012. At least I never have to do state income taxes in Florida.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Mikey wrote:I always get a refund. Yeah I know it's stupid to let the government use my money for free, but I'd rather do that than have to pay a bunch in April.
What he said. Federal refund came two weeks ago, still waiting on the state refund.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Going to file mine tomorrow. We got a 30% federal tax credit for installing geothermal an 20% of that credit for the state but I still have to pay about $2500 in state taxes due to other income that more than offset the tax credits. Should have the federal refund in a few weeks and have to pay the state by April 30.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

I've got my witholdings all out of whack. I scratched a check for ~1400 for the Feds a couple of weeks ago and and looking for ~1300 back from the state. While the net is about where I try to target, I like to try to keep the +/- within a couple of hundred dollars.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

So, I gotta pay for mikey's magic shade tree and mace's fukking hole in the ground, but when I ride my bike to work, something that makes more sense than either of your "green" things, nobody pays me.

You price a new carbon fiber road bike lately?

Fukk you hippy assholes.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

105, Ultegra, Sram Red, Campy? Pretty wide swing in what you roll out the door with.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:So, I gotta pay for mikey's magic shade tree and mace's fukking hole in the ground, but when I ride my bike to work, something that makes more sense than either of your "green" things, nobody pays me.
But you're gaining good health, and the knowledge that you could make an inviting target for some knuckledragging asshole in a pickup who doesn't realize that you're actually on his side.

Fukk you hippy assholes.
American made, I hope?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Best one I have found so far that will work for this year is 1.71%. While not great it at least allows for miles or points vs paying by check.

I did find something that allows CC payments for a flat fee of $9.98. It is thru Sun Trust in the Southeast part of the country. It requires at least a savings account with a minimum of $50.00. But to use to pay for taxes the account must be open for 15 days. So next year for $59.98 miles can be had for paying taxes.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I agree with you on that example. But using your numbers lets change the redemption.

Instead of looking at domestic tickets lets look at first class to an overseas resort like Phuket. For the same $855 I am halfway to a first class ticket that would run near $20,000 if I Paid for it.

Looks a hell of a lot more attractive now.

Granted still too steep for my taste and why I was looking for help. However, I will be opening an account at Sun Trust to take advantage of that for next tax year.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

88 wrote:I don't know if I can make my hand hold the pen properly for the check I have to write on Monday...
Here ya go, 88....
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote:It's not like the .000000027% interest I'd get in my bank is worthwhile.
Yes, the conventional wisdom doesn't really apply anymore. Fortunately I came out only -$35.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

88 wrote:Let me know if you find a way to avoid huge processing fees to pay your income taxes using AMEX. I don't know if I can make my hand hold the pen properly for the check I have to write on Monday...
More than 7500?
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Mrs. Rumps' side business put us in a higher tax bracket this year (33%). I'm filing an extension so I can figure out how to get creative with some write offs through her business.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

88, here is the solution for everyone.

Note: Every single one of you donkeys should be getting points, miles or cash back for every single purchase you make. most of you aren't, but then most of you aren't that smart either. Hell just by paying your mortgage and car payment (or washing machine note) you will get a free round trip ticket within the 48 or Caribbean every year.

https://www.suntrust.com/PersonalBankin ... sCheckCard

This card is open to everyone since it is not a credit card, but in fact a debit card. So those of you with a 200 credit score should still qualify. It pays you 1 Delta mile for each $ you spend via pin or signature transactions. It also comes with a 10,000 miles bonus on signup.

Now is is hardly the card to use for everyday purchases if you have access to better credit or charge cards. But for anyone who can't or isn't yet earning on everyday spend, this is a decent place to start. The reason I signed up was for the $3.49 flat fee to pay Federal Income Taxes. You get 1 Delta Skymile for each $ paid to Uncle Sam. That is huge and more than enough to justify the 20 minutes it took to set up.

Granted they are still Delta Sky Miles and about as low on the tower as you can get, but they can be used for Virgin Australia first class without fuel surcharges.

You guys can thank me later.

Prolly no more than a handful of y'all are earning anything for your spend. Sad.

Edit:

Forgot to include the link to the site to pay the taxes using said debit card.

http://www.payUSAtax.com
Last edited by Left Seater on Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

smackaholic wrote:So, I gotta pay for mikey's magic shade tree and mace's fukking hole in the ground, but when I ride my bike to work, something that makes more sense than either of your "green" things, nobody pays me.

Fukk you hippy assholes.
Did I forget to say "thank you?" Well, thanks. I also saved about 50% on my electric bill this winter, and the utility company also gave me a $4,000 rebate for installing geothermal. I've yet to see a downside to installing the system and your financial assistance. Thanks again. :)
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mace wrote:

Fukk you hippy assholes.
Did I forget to say "thank you?" Well, thanks. I also saved about 50% on my electric bill this winter, and the utility company also gave me a $4,000 rebate for installing geothermal. I've yet to see a downside to installing the system and your financial assistance. Thanks again. :)
I think geothermal makes all the sense in the world, especially in the midwest where you will heat and cool with it. Left coasters, not so much seeing as they already have a geothermal heat pump called the pacific ocean. If I was building new, I would definitely go with a GT system. If I ever have to replace my boiler I will certainly look into it.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Only had to cut the US Treasury a check for $455 as I didn't work much in 2012. I'm sure they will spend it wisely. I have a solar heating unit for my pool water. Guess I'm being green?
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."