Big Ten to no longer schedule FCS opponents

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Big Ten to no longer schedule FCS opponents

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/13/big-t ... &eref=sihp#

It's about damn time. Now let's see if the SEC is willing to follow suit.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: Big Ten to no longer schedule FCS opponents

Post by Van »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/13/big-t ... &eref=sihp#

It's about damn time. Now let's see if the SEC everybody else is willing to follow suit.
Damn straight.

Oh, and I love how the guy states that Wisky's schedule includes "only one" FCS opponent this year. Yes, by all means, let's go ahead and give them a cookie for that.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I guess this means that Michigan can switch out Appy State with Toledo in 2014.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Props for that.

What this means though is there will be huge payments between schools now for breaking contracts. Many schools have little choice but to schedule FCS when another schools backs out only months before scheduled games.

It could also mean interesting conf schedules as realignment continues. You might see a new conf member play a game less then the other members for a season or two until their non-conf schedule frees up.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lefty wrote:Many schools have little choice but to schedule FCS when another schools backs out only months before scheduled games.
Little choice, perhaps, but they certainly have some choice. The fact that there remain a handful of programs that have never stooped so low as to schedule a D1-AA (despite the occasional cancellation) means that yes, everyone ultimately does have choices.

What, are you saying those four or five programs are the only ones that never had to scramble to find another opponent after some shlep team cancelled on them?

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Good. Nothing like shelling out 85 bucks to see UMass etc.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Van,

Plenty of stories out there this past season about West Virgina canceling the trip to Florida State in late spring when they were able to get out of the Big East. FSU tried to find a FBS replacement and even offered money to potential opponents opponents but ultimately nothing worked.

That is just one example. And a reason why in the future you might see reduced conf schedules for some teams as they enter new conferences.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yeah, well, I might be a bit more inclined to buy your one example had you not chosen a program that just this past season prison-raped two FCS 'opponents.' Sorry, but methinks they aren't trying too very hard to find quality replacements whenever they're faced with cancellations.

But that's just me. I'm kinda cynical that way.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:FSU tried to find a FBS replacement and even offered money to potential opponents opponents but ultimately nothing worked.
That may or may not be the case (I don't know, and I'm not just going to take someone's word on it), but for every instance like this, there's a dozen more where a school schedules Bumfuck U just for the automatic win. Nobody cares about the exception to the rule.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:Not trying to excuse scheduling FCS schools ('cause I hate those games), but a lot of those deals are favors to coaching buddies.
No, it's a lame cop out. If you want to do something nice for your "buddy," take him to dinner.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

When some of these teams came to the big house the payday funded the entire athletic dept for the year...it's win/win for the pastry an no-win for he big school.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Sudden Sam wrote:Not trying to excuse scheduling FCS schools ('cause I hate those games),
Good. We're on the same page.
Sudden Sybil, attempting to excuse the scheduling of FCS schools, wrote:but a lot of those deals are favors to coaching buddies.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sudden Sam wrote:Not excusing it at all. Just stating a fact.

Nothing I hate worse. Well...I dunno about that, but nothing else related to college football anyway.

I wanna see more Alabama-Penn State, Alabama-Michigan, Ohio State-Texas games.

Hell, I'm looking forward to the Colorado State-Alabama game...McElwain vs Saban.
i notice you leave out Oklahoma-Alabama.....games you lose?

you give Texas way too much credit. those clowns have had way too much mileage from the one OOC serious game Deloss scheduled in the last decade. anyway, tOSU should have won that game at the Shoe. i am still angry at Tressel for that colossal nutless job. the world is a much better place without a 05 Texas NC.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

anyway, i thought Colorado should have hired McElwain when they homered up for no one else is interested NFL tight end coach Jon Embree.

but, CSU wasn't exactly making magic last year under McE.

you and me, Sam, and half this board are better than CSU. ain't gonna be football game. Bama blowout. Troy State is tougher than CSU right now.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I see you working KC, but Texas doesn't schedule FCS schools. Plus they have had UCLA, Arkansas, Carolina BYU and other BCS conf schools on the schedule. Not really Dodds fault those schools weren't ranked #1 7 or 8 years after the contracts were signed. Going forward they have USC, ND, Arkansas, BYU, tOSU etc on the schedule.

You can give them crap for a ton of things, but not their OCC schedule, IMO.

Van,

No doubt rip them for their annual FCS season opener, but WVU left them at the alter last season.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

So grab someone else...but not a D1-AA school.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

WolverineSteve wrote:When some of these teams came to the big house the payday funded the entire athletic dept for the year...it's win/win for the pastry an no-win for he big school.
Those schools spend most of that AD money on the very same football team that brought in the big paycheck. Are probably still in the red. Would be less so if they dropped down to D-1AA or even cut football altogether. Either way, just leave big boy football to the big boys.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

M Club wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:When some of these teams came to the big house the payday funded the entire athletic dept for the year...it's win/win for the pastry an no-win for he big school.
Those schools spend most of that AD money on the very same football team that brought in the big paycheck. Are probably still in the red. Would be less so if they dropped down to D-1AA or even cut football altogether. Either way, just leave big boy football to the big boys.
Agreed.

Was watching the B1G network this am. They were discussing going to ten conference games and the likelihood of moving some non-con games to later in the slate, citing scheduling conflicts from not being able to play FCS schools. They interviewed osu's AD, he said he and Brandon are committed to keeping The Game as the finale and going to an east west divisional format that would put the two in the same division.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

But then the SEC would implode. Who else would it schedule for its September non-travel month?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

WolverineSteve wrote: Agreed.

Was watching the B1G network this am. They were discussing going to ten conference games and the likelihood of moving some non-con games to later in the slate, citing scheduling conflicts from not being able to play FCS schools. They interviewed osu's AD, he said he and Brandon are committed to keeping The Game as the finale and going to an east west divisional format that would put the two in the same division.
I wish they'd go to 10 conference games because then the other conferences would follow suit, meaning the mid-majors could only whore themselves out for 2 games and not 4 so would be forced to give up the pretense of D1 football. And personally, I'd love to see CFB return to a regional sport where each conference sends their top representatives to the national stage rather than pretending 3/4th of our conference is good because everyone got 7 wins by beating up on 4 shitty OOC teams.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

[quote="Van"]The fact that there remain a handful of programs that have never stooped so low as to schedule a D1-AA quote]

Not mentioning them by name was a glaring omission in this thread of yours...

UCLA
USC
NOTRE DAME
WASHINGTON
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

M Club wrote:I wish they'd go to 10 conference games because then the other conferences would follow suit, meaning the mid-majors could only whore themselves out for 2 games and not 4 so would be forced to give up the pretense of D1 football. And personally, I'd love to see CFB return to a regional sport where each conference sends their top representatives to the national stage rather than pretending 3/4th of our conference is good because everyone got 7 wins by beating up on 4 shitty OOC teams.
~swoon~

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The Seer wrote:
Van wrote:The fact that there remain a handful of programs that have never stooped so low as to schedule a D1-AA

UCLA
USC
NOTRE DAME
WASHINGTON
This isn't my thread, it's Mgo's. Besides, if I ever mention USC regarding anything, the content of the post is automatically dismissed.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Seer wrote:
Van wrote:The fact that there remain a handful of programs that have never stooped so low as to schedule a D1-AA

WASHINGTON

Off the top of my head, UDub played 1AAs in each of the last 2 seasons... and barely beat Eastern Washington.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Hell, they were prolly sick the whole game from looking at the field.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:Where else are the little schools gonna get a payday like that? Shit, one game brings in more than 5 games* at their own level.
Oh look, Sam is suddenly concerned about the plight of the little guy.

I get your argument when we're talking about MAC and Sun Belt schools. You know, Division 1. But D1 should not be mixing with lower divisions, period. In basketball, if a D1 school plays a DII school, it's an exhibition. It doesn't count for or against your record, which is how it should be.
M Club wrote:I wish they'd go to 10 conference games because then the other conferences would follow suit
Everyone but the SEC because the SEC wouldn't have any incentive to. Look at Georgia - they beat three cupcakes OOC (plus Ga Tech), only played two ranked teams in the SEC (lost to one of them), and were still only one play away from the MNC.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

schmick wrote: If they have good football at that level then they wont need to sell themselves as sacrifices to the FBS schools anymore.
That's not necessarilly true. The University of Northern Iowa is a highly respected and highly ranked FCS program who stuggles financially and has for many years scheduled Division I teams to stay out of the red. They generally only sell out their domed stadium if Iowa and Iowa State are on the road and need the big payday to fill their coffers that allow them to compete. I'm sure they're not the only FCS school facing that problem.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

schmick wrote:If a team can not financially support its self by competing at the level it competes at then maybe it should fold instead of just selling Wins against them to teams from the higher level. That is what they did at Cal St Fullerton, Long Beach State, Pacific...
Yeah, that would be good for college football.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Be careful what you wish for Schmick.

Back in the SCCC days when people were laughing at SC they weren't always making money.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

They also weren't scheduling D1-AA teams, nor were they looking to other schools for handouts.

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Agreed, but that wasn't Schmicks point.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The not-looking-to-other-schools-for-handouts part was definitely his point. He's saying that if the only way a program can survive is through the largesse of other schools then perhaps they need to be allowed to die on the vine or, at the very least, they ought to dial things back to a more realistic level.

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

If people care about it they will pay to keep it around. Either it makes money or it doesn't and should die.

If that's is the test then college football would have about 10 to 12 teams.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Oh look, Lefty's suddenly all socialist about the things that matter to him.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

UNI scheduling Division I schools helps keep their athletic department afloat and I don't think that's a bad thing. They've played Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Kansas over the past several years and are always competitive, having beaten Iowa State and Kansas on occasion. Iowa had to block two FG attempts in the final seconds to win a game a few years ago and ultimately ended up in Orange Bowl that year. They also gave Wisconsin all they wanted this year. It's hardly a cupcake game. The football money also helps them to compete in basketball and they've made their appearances in the Big Dance over the past few years....beating Kansas a few short years ago.

Year in, year out, UNI puts a better team on the field than most of the MAC schools that Iowa schedules, and I'd rather pay to watch an Iowa-UNI game than Iowa-Northern Illinois. The matchup with UNI has some appeal to all Iowans, at both Iowa and Iowa State, and they know they're in for a fight when they play them. I understand the reasoning for getting these schools off the schedule, but it's going to come at a cost to a lot of smaller universities, which I think is wrong.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mace wrote:I understand the reasoning for getting these schools off the schedule, but it's going to come at a cost to a lot of smaller universities, which I think is wrong.
The MAC and Sun Belt seem pretty positioned to make more money off this. Get rid of half their competition for the paycheck games, they can charge more. scUM and other elitest schools won't let the MAC disappear, just the 1-AA schools.

Though I do agree with you Mace on why this doesn't pass the smell test. Just more of the haves not wanting to share with the "have-nots."
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I agree with you on both counts, S_M. The MAC and Sun Belt will both benefit from this decision and the big dogs will still schedule their cupcake games, and with bigger paydays. In the case of UNI, both Iowa and Iowa State were happy to pay out the money to their in-state little brother, and UNI always entered those games thinking they could and would win.....and sometimes they did. It was an in-state rivalry game for UNI and their players always played with a chip on their shoulders for having not been recruited by the two bigger schools. I doubt that UNI is unique in that respect. Personally, I'll miss seeing those matchups. I know there's not any national appeal to them but there's a lot of in-state appeal and, when they play Iowa or Iowa State a close game, it increases attendance at UNI home games for the remainder of the season.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Mace wrote:I understand the reasoning for getting these schools off the schedule, but it's going to come at a cost to a lot of smaller universities, which I think is wrong.
The MAC and Sun Belt seem pretty positioned to make more money off this. Get rid of half their competition for the paycheck games, they can charge more. scUM and other elitest schools won't let the MAC disappear, just the 1-AA schools.

Though I do agree with you Mace on why this doesn't pass the smell test. Just more of the haves not wanting to share with the "have-nots."
Which is fine. If the big boys truly had their own way there'd be a 16-game schedule, 12 of those home games, in which case UNI, UNNI, and UNNNI could all move up to D1. There's a pecking order, and just as one could say some D-1AA teams are better than MAC/Sun Belt teams, so are some MAC/Sun Belt teams better than some BCS teams. But who gives a fuck since a line has to be drawn somewhere, and I'd personally like to see it drawn somewhere that removes incentives for rando schools none of us have ever heard of until our team scheduled them to move up to D-1 for the sole purpose of losing games.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Until this becomes an NCAA rule, it will only pertain to the B1G, so the playing field won't be level nationally, only in the B1G conference. UNI will continue to schedule Big 12 schools and will open with Iowa State in 2013. They played Wisconsin and Iowa in 2012, losing 26-21 to the Badgers and 27-16 to Iowa. Can't speak for Wisconsin, but I'm sure Iowa will continue to schedule MAC and Sun Belt teams for OOC games.....and hopefully scheduling MAC teams they can beat.

I look for the B1G to go to a 10 game conference schedule once all of the realignment is finished, so there will only be two OOC games on the schedule, with Iowa State being one for Iowa.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

No surprise that you would be opposed to both. All conference schools getting an equal share of the TV revenue is only fair if you want to have a conference where every school is considered an equal partner in the relationship. Allowing a school who has more success to receive a bigger portion of the pie than those having less success only creates a bigger gap in talent levels and is not good for the conference, imo.