Best/favorite 'Hardcore' album? (Not a Rap thread)

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Th
PAT FAN

Best/favorite 'Hardcore' album? (Not a Rap thread)

Post by Th »

I had decided on posting this topic a week or so ago but had trouble narrowing it down to just one album. After a long introspective on what hardcore means to me and what album had I returned to the most as a source of inspiration and energy I chose the following work:

Sepultura - Roots

Too many times this CD was left in the player of my car for weeks at a time being played over and over again. To me it is the epitome of what hardcore is trying to say and represent.

DISCUSS
Go Patriots! ! ! !
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm down with Sepultura, but when I hear "hardcore" I think of harcore punk. SP, DK, BF.....that sort of thing.

When I think of Sepultura, I think "thrash."

That said, Sepultura is good thrash. Can't carry Pantera's jock, but good thrash, nonetheless.

Despite the difference in terminology, I must toss Th a RACK, since he inspired me to boot up an MP3 of Dead Embryonic Cells.

If it involves some ultra-agressive aspect of the human psyche, chances are the Brazilians are good at it.

20 years, and going strong. Sepultura rocks.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Th
PAT FAN

Post by Th »

Dinsdale wrote:I'm down with Sepultura, but when I hear "hardcore" I think of harcore punk. SP, DK, BF.....that sort of thing.

When I think of Sepultura, I think "thrash."

That said, Sepultura is good thrash. Can't carry Pantera's jock, but good thrash, nonetheless.

Despite the difference in terminology, I must toss Th a RACK, since he inspired me to boot up an MP3 of Dead Embryonic Cells.

If it involves some ultra-agressive aspect of the human psyche, chances are the Brazilians are good at it.

20 years, and going strong. Sepultura rocks.
With the begging of the difference in terminology aside I will stand by my entry as I still believe that they are qualified in the category. Regardless I will not suppose that you are wrong rather that we both are correct. IMHO Sepultura shouldn't be cast into the thrash scrapheap. Their music is far too articulate and potent to be degraded to that simple of a depth. Getting back to your vignette on morphology regarding hardcore I would like to point out a more recent and worthy addition to the faith. Terror. 'Lowest of the Low' is the better of the two works by this new group in my opinion, but BOTH are worth a listen if you like the energy. Give them a listen, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Go Patriots! ! ! !
Eversor
Crack Whore

Post by Eversor »

I personally would have to say Hatebreed. The Perseverance CD stayed in my player for damn near the whole summer last year. I just picked up Rise of Brutality awhile back and it's finally grown on me.

Only you can prevent forum fires.
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

war colombian necktie
why is my neighborhood on fire
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I agree with Dins in that I consider hardcore to be more punk. Whatever prefix you want to add to it, Sepultura is definitely metal. They also definitely rule.

If you want my favorite hardcore/metal/agressive music album of all time, nothing will ever top...

But if you're looking for something from this millenium, this album is pretty fucking brutal too...

"Keys, woman!"
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Bizzarofelice wrote:war colombian necktie
When I get loaded, I've gotta go off.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Tupac's last

"Makavelli."
Tex
Jake

Post by Tex »

Bizzarofelice wrote:war colombian necktie
l. dopa fixed me