Penn St vs Ohio

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Penn St vs Ohio

Post by Van »

Well, I suppose that was one way to get this otherwise useless OOC cupcake game on national TV.

:lol:

Two observations, right off the bat...

No sellout? Really? All we've been hearing is how the place would be packed to the rafters for this one, and yet the wide shots show an awful lot of empty seats in the main upper deck.

That was surprising, but not as surprising as seeing Penn St drop a 250 lb linebacker on the goal line to receive the opening kick. What the hell was that? They have to have more speed than that somewhere on their roster, don't they?

Anyway, I saw this 'in-depth' discussion regarding the question of whether Penn St will even win five games this year.

C'mon...

Ohio (W)
@Virginia (W)
Navy (W)
Temple (W) (With a pastries-rich OOC slate like this, they're nearly guaranteed four wins before they even begin conference play.)
@Illinois (L) (Debatable.)
Northwestern (W)
@Iowa (L)
Ohio St (L)
@Purdue (L) (Very debatable.)
@Nebraska (L)
Indiana (W)
Wisconsin (L)

So, as long as they beat Virginia they can lose the iffy ones and still win six games.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Re: Penn St vs Ohio

Post by Moby Dick »

If the over under was at 5 , ill take the under.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't think they'll beat Northwestern...certainly not a gimme, at least. Today is not a gimme either. PSU was pretty anemic on offense last year, and that was when their whole team was still in tact. Virginia? Not sure about that one. If UVA is supposed to be even respectable this year, then home field will give them an edge.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Northwestern has no Dan Persa this time, and they have to travel to Happy Valley. At worst, that's another debatable one.

Moby, you'd bet on Penn St to win only four games this year? So, you're counting on them pulling zero upsets while losing every iffy game, in addition to losing one or two they really should win? Absolutely nothing will break their way this season? Ohio, Navy, Temple, Indiana, and that'll be it?

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Virginia? Not sure about that one. If UVA is supposed to be even respectable this year, then home field will give them an edge.
UVA is pretty good. Still a bit soft, but good nonetheless.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I don't think they'll beat Northwestern...certainly not a gimme, at least. Today is not a gimme either. PSU was pretty anemic on offense last year, and that was when their whole team was still in tact. Virginia? Not sure about that one. If UVA is supposed to be even respectable this year, then home field will give them an edge.
Completely new offense for PSU...as opposed to no offense whatsoever. Can't help but be an improvement.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:Northwestern has no Dan Persa this time, and they have to travel to Happy Valley. At worst, that's another debatable one.
They've had the same quarterback for the last 12 years, and Kain Colter is no exception. He's the mulatto Dan Persa.

But yeah, it's at least debatable. Northwestern is just one of those teams that's a thorn in the side of many. They're never a legitimate contender, but capable of beating anyone in conference on any given day (sup, Nebraska?). Every conference has a team like that. I don't know who that team would be in the Pac 12. Oregon State? Cal? :lol:
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Hodges at returner is asinine.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

PSUFAN wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I don't think they'll beat Northwestern...certainly not a gimme, at least. Today is not a gimme either. PSU was pretty anemic on offense last year, and that was when their whole team was still in tact. Virginia? Not sure about that one. If UVA is supposed to be even respectable this year, then home field will give them an edge.
Completely new offense for PSU...as opposed to no offense whatsoever. Can't help but be an improvement.
I suppose that's true. The d still appears to be pretty legit.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Van, they always load up the student sections slowly...the empty seats are there at first for every game. This is a long-standing discussion on the PSU homer boards.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Passing game looks very crisp. Receivers getting the ball quickly and in space with room to run.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

PSUFAN wrote:Van, they always load up the student sections slowly...the empty seats are there at first for every game. This is a long-standing discussion on the PSU homer boards.
What is the issue? Patting them down for firearms?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

During the 1992 Miami game, a student brought in a military-grade smoke bomb and set it off in the student section. Ever since they have been letting students in single file and with lots of security
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

There's a section in the south end that is reserved for the Blue Band...currently empty as they rove around the stadium
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

PSUFAN wrote:Passing game looks very crisp. Receivers getting the ball quickly and in space with room to run.
Yeah, I’m digging this new offense too. McGloin looks so much more comfortable in this style of offense, for whatever reason.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Van, they always load up the student sections slowly...the empty seats are there at first for every game. This is a long-standing discussion on the PSU homer boards.
What is the issue? Patting them down for firearms personal lubricants?
:oops:

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Van wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
What is the issue? Patting them down for firearms personal lubricants?
:oops:
Naw, shower gel.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Ken wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Passing game looks very crisp. Receivers getting the ball quickly and in space with room to run.
Yeah, I’m digging this new offense too. McGloin looks so much more comfortable in this style of offense, for whatever reason.
For one, it IS a style of offense.

Another thing sticking out for me - OL seems much stronger thanks to the new strength and conditioning program. Past 5 years, the running game has struggled to get going early in seasons because the OL was a bunch of marshmallows with bristles. Now, they are lifting weights...and it shows.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Definitely agree on that too. Guess my only gripes to this point are:
1. Hodges on returns, but I don’t expect that to last (I believe it has already ended with Belton on the last punt).
2. Not much pressure up the middle from the D-line.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Yep...not perfect but very good. Ohio is a very good offensive football team...but i think the third quarter, they will fade some.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Not cool, Penn St...not cool at all. You fucks better cover that 6.5 spread.

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Penn State's offense looks better than I thought they would two months ago. The coach seems like a good hire. The defense looks like I thought they would.

As far as wins and losses this year... I'll need to see a bigger sampling then just a home game against Ohio.

Anyways, here was my prediction for Penn State a couple of months ago.

M2 wrote:I could see Penn State losing 9 games this year...

2012 Penn State Nittany Lions Football Schedule

September 1... Ohio U
September 8... Virginia Away
September 15... Navy
September 22... Temple
September 29... Illinois Away
October 6... Northwestern
October 13... Open
October 20... Iowa Away
October 27... Ohio State
November 3... Purdue Away
November 10... Nebraska Away
November 17... Indiana
November 24... Wisconsin

Sure losses...Wisconsin, Nebraska away, Purdue away, Iowa away and Ohio State

Probable losses...Illinois away, Virginia away

Likely wins...Ohio U and Temple

Toss up...Northwestern and Navy

Sure losses plus probable losses plus toss ups indicates 2 wins and 9 losses or maybe 3 wins and 8 losses.

After this seasons disaster... I could see the current players and commits leaving like flies in a stiff wind

Can't believe we're wearing Penn State uni's for our first game at home after the renovation...

ugh

Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

If 5 games is a push , Van...id def go with the under..
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

yeah, those are exactly the same as PSU. what PR nightmare. good work sniffing that one out m2. u should get on the phone right now and call up Cal's PR team.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

King Crimson wrote:yeah, those are exactly the same as PSU. what PR nightmare. good work sniffing that one out m2. u should get on the phone right now and call up Cal's PR team.

Sarcasm is lost on you...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Okay, Penn St, now you're really starting to piss me off.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

M2 wrote:
King Crimson wrote:yeah, those are exactly the same as PSU. what PR nightmare. good work sniffing that one out m2. u should get on the phone right now and call up Cal's PR team.

Sarcasm is lost on you...
you are absolutely correct.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

And Ohio takes the lead...

Calm down, Brady Hoke. The REAL Ohio.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Does the team in blue plan on throwing any passes beyond the line of scrimmage this half?

Ken

Post by Ken »

Van wrote:Does the team in blue plan on throwing any passes beyond the line of scrimmage this half?
176 yds in first half ain’t all that bad. Shorter pass plays were working quite nicely.
Anyways, McGloin is not a very good long passer. Couple that with the fact that they simply do not have a deep threat at WR and there you have it.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

this game got more hype than I would expect two teams ranked somewhere in the 70s would warrant.

this game got more hype than two teams in the top 10.

College GameDay quickly reminded me why that show frustrates.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Ken, I don't necessarily mean long passes, but how about something that goes beyond the line of scrimmage? With the corners face-guarding the receivers and the safeties playing well up in the box, Penn St can't keep calling roll outs to guys running laterally along the line of scrimmage. They at least have to run patterns that are long enough to give them a chance at moving the chains, especially when it's third-and-long.

In the meantime, christ, Penn St is actually trailing a MAC team in the fourth quarter at home. I can't believe I just wrote that.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

This Tettleton kid is a baller.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Blech. Penn St fucks me again in Pick 'Em.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

What an implosion. PSU was on pace to win this thing by a comfy margin. And, really, it was the defense's doing. Ohio was moving the ball at will in the second half.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

That was horrific.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Northwestern does to me what PSU does to you. I hate these fucksticks.

1.5 point favorite and up by 15 in the second half. The cover is looking good.

I switch back with 3:00 left in the game and Syracuse is driving for the go-ahead TD. Which they get. And then the 2-point conversion. Which makes it a 6 point game. Which means even if Northwestern scores a TD and extra point on this final drive it still won't give them enough to cover.

Un-fucking-believeable.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

My "fuck me in the dimehole" teams have long been Penn St, Ohio St and...Cal.

I just cannot buy a break with these guys when they're big favorites, especially Cal on the road, and I don't know how many times the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions have screwed me at home.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:My "fuck me in the dimehole" teams have long been Penn St...
You got a problem with that?

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Northwestern is giving 1.5. Bwaaa.

Dude, you need them to miss this PAT so it can go to OT.

Nope. 42-41, Cats. That one has to hurt.

And looky here, Cal is down 7-0 at home to Nevada in their first game in the renovated stadium.

(Edit: Mgo, I think you need to slap a couple of {G} tags on this thread following that hideous grill shot of Sanblorfsky.)