Brother can you spare a dime?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Brother can you spare a dime?

Post by smackaholic »

Lil miss smack is now officially a UConn Huskie. So, I am officially broke. Gonna have to cut back on the landscaping budget, I 'spose.

I guess I can just have her go into hock up to her ear lobes in student loan debt and then ask the gubmint to tear up the IOUs. Kinda like barry wants to do now. Well, atleast I'll only be on the hook for two years as she did her first 2 years at the local commie college. Of course, being a french major, she'll likely end up teaching which means going on for her Masters, so maybe I do have more than 2 years of poverty to look forward to.

Too bad she's not a carpet muncher elite athlete on a full ride scholarship. :(
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: Brother can you spare a dime?

Post by Wolfman »

I was able to get my four kids and MrsO through college. It meant teaching year round and moonlighting every free minute I had. College was a lot less expensive then. Hell when I was doing my graduate studies tuition was $20 a credit hour at SUNY grad school. Don't know what opportunities exist where you are, but in New York they used to have College Proficiency Exams where you could get college credit by taking tests. I actually got 24 undergraduate hours by taking two test that cost me (in 1975) $35 a test. That was like doing a year of college (12 hours are considered one semester's work) for $70 ! Maybe she could cut some costs by taking on line courses that are pretty much available at most schools these days. Good luck.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
DC Smackmaster
Elwood

Post by DC Smackmaster »

Rack both of you for sacrificing for your kids education! I've got to get on the ball with college funds. Hopefully at least one of these boys will be like their dipshit dad and flame out of school and go blue collar! Callouses are nothing to be ashamed of!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

smackaholic wrote:Kinda like barry wants to do now.

why is my neighborhood on fire
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Kinda like barry wants to do now.

you think he's crying now, wait till he finds out the tab we left him.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

America has left a tab to its youngsters since FDR. Why did you suddenly start giving a shit in 2012?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:Lil miss smack is now officially a UConn Huskie.
Good for her.
I guess I can just have her go into hock up to her ear lobes in student loan debt and then ask the gubmint to tear up the IOUs.
Unfortunately, you remain an incredulous fool.

Student loan debt will never be forgiven, not even in chapter 13 bankruptcy.

You try so hard, you type prodigiously, like an idiot savant. How hard can it be to type 'government'?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

How hard can it be to type 'government'?
He thinks typing that way is "cute." I really wish he would jam a funnel in his asshole and pour in a jug of muriatic acid.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

stupid government. giving her a loan at a lower interest rate than she could get otherwise.

the credit card companies are more than happy to solicit new customers at university. have the girl put a lot of this college stuff on credit card. then declare bankruptcy. the system is geared towards these companies but you can still game it.

student loans are a low interest rate but credit card debt can be wiped away. just be prepared to have her cars under your name for 7 years.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Bizzarofelice wrote:America has left a tab to its youngsters since FDR. Why did you suddenly start giving a shit in 2012?
Excuse me?

Are you really that fucking stupid?
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Carson wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:America has left a tab to its youngsters since FDR. Why did you suddenly start giving a shit in 2012?
Excuse me?

no. i'm quite intelligent.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

We already put one kid through four years at UC Irvine. She double majored in Literature and Religious Studies. Interesting and compelling stuff. She's now been home for a year on vacation. I guess she deserves a two year break because she covered half of her expenses with an academic scholarship.

Got another at UC Irvine right now, a sophomore, and we're paying the full freight for him mostly because the was royally screwed by the assholes that run the "College Board". He's deciding between mechanical engineering and computer engineering, getting basically straight A's in all of his classes. He's costing us a lot more (UC fees seem to go up about 50% each year) but whichever way he goes he has about a 99.9% chance of gainful employment when he's done. Maybe he can hire his sister to clean his condo.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:We already put one kid through four years at UC Irvine. She double majored in Literature and Religious Studies. Interesting and compelling stuff. She's now been home for a year on vacation. I guess she deserves a two year break because she covered half of her expenses with an academic scholarship.

Got another at UC Irvine right now, a sophomore, and we're paying the full freight for him mostly because the was royally screwed by the assholes that run the "College Board". He's deciding between mechanical engineering and computer engineering, getting basically straight A's in all of his classes. He's costing us a lot more (UC fees seem to go up about 50% each year) but whichever way he goes he has about a 99.9% chance of gainful employment when he's done. Maybe he can hire his sister to clean his condo.
Lit/religious studies, huh?. Ouch. Good thing it partly on someone else's dime. I just hope I don't end up in the same boat with a french major.

So, how did the college board screw your son? Sounds like it doesn't matter in the long run and you'll get it back with interest.

As for the fees going up at public schools, we have a few things to thank. First off, states have decided that college campuses need to look like the taj mahal. This is bullshit. UConn looked like low income housing back in the day. Didn't stop kids from getting drunk edumacated. A lack of study habits stopped me! Also, those universities are chock full of unionized state employees and everyone here in Ct knows what that means.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Carson wrote:
Excuse me?

Apparently he is.

I've been giving a shit about it for well over 20 years. And while gov. deficits did get started back then, we were fairly decent at paying them back down when possible. Hell, we even paid down WWII which was pretty much four years of ALL spending being gov spending. We didn't start running it up year after year until Johnson doubled down on FDR's federal overstepping.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Lil miss smack is now officially a UConn Huskie.
Good for her.
I guess I can just have her go into hock up to her ear lobes in student loan debt and then ask the gubmint to tear up the IOUs.
Unfortunately, you remain an incredulous fool.

Student loan debt will never be forgiven, not even in chapter 13 bankruptcy.

You try so hard, you type prodigiously, like an idiot savant. How hard can it be to type 'government'?
Watch the news much? Barry has been working the debt forgiveness line pretty hard, knowing it's good for quite a few young folks votes.

BTW, I can type government, but I kinda like gubmint because it annoys you.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bizzarofelice wrote:stupid government. giving her a loan at a lower interest rate than she could get otherwise.

the credit card companies are more than happy to solicit new customers at university. have the girl put a lot of this college stuff on credit card. then declare bankruptcy. the system is geared towards these companies but you can still game it.

student loans are a low interest rate but credit card debt can be wiped away. just be prepared to have her cars under your name for 7 years.
Fortunately, I can get money at next to nothing interest rates. Lower even than the fed subsidized ones. it does of course mean I have to put my house up for collateral, so walking away from that debt is not an option as I have become kinda fond of having a house. So long as the OL and I remain gainfully employed, we should be able to pay the great majority of it as we go.

As for running up CC debt with the intent of jamming the CC company, they have a name for that. It's called theft. I'd rather not go that way or teach my daughter that it's a way to "pay" for stuff.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Just humor Bace and say that you started caring about debt in 2012 because an uppity spade is in the White House.

No matter what you say, that's what he's going to hear, anyway.

Fact of the matter is, G. Bush lost a ton of conservative support in his 2nd term because of his fiscal irresponsibility/debt.

Barry came in when the debt was completely out of control ---> and he stepped on the accelerator.

That is either unimaginable stupidity or... sabotage.

Either way, it's nothing to get behind and any rational individual is rightfully outraged by it.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bizzarofelice wrote:the credit card companies are more than happy to solicit new customers at university. have the girl put a lot of this college stuff on credit card. then declare bankruptcy. the system is geared towards these companies but you can still game it.

Do banks still issue $5k lines of credit to 18 year olds with no jobs like they did in 2000?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Only the wealthy should have access to higher education.

By the very fact they are wealthy proves they are more intelligent.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Martyred wrote:Only the wealthy should have access to higher education.

By the very fact they are wealthy proves they are more intelligent.
I dont give racks very often, but marty, YOU ARE SPOT ON!!! RAAAAAAAACK!!

Ever talk to the jig outside a 7 11 asking for some spare change? I wouldnt give them access to shit.
I'll pull you out of that one bunk hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. The warden, shawshank redemption.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

I've always recognised your brilliance, Scott.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

Congrats.

I know your sacrifice. I just sent my eldest daughter through eight years of private school in Germany. That is not cheap. She excelled and was selected at one of the prestigious dental schools in Germany. Thank goodness a firm is footing most of the bill as long as she makes the grades and work as an intern. So far she is doing well.

My other two kids are young and will both go through private school, luckily we have a business and all proceeds go to retirement and their school.

I am, like you all, sacrificing nicer things to make sure my kids get the best in life for them.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

Mikey wrote:We already put one kid through four years at UC Irvine. She double majored in Literature and Religious Studies. Interesting and compelling stuff. She's now been home for a year on vacation. I guess she deserves a two year break because she covered half of her expenses with an academic scholarship.

Ouch. Here is Wisconsin, they hike the rate at only 5%. I graduated from Wisconsin and the tuition was kind of cheap then. Now, oh my, very expensive.

These money grubbers hiked it 6 years in the row and before you liberals cry "Walker is causing schools to raise prices" this shit started when that ass-stain Dummicrat Doyle was in office.

My motto is "WALKER FOR LIFE"
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Scott, are you going to be watching the soccer matches today?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

poptart wrote:Just humor Bace and say that you started caring about debt in 2012

I've been reading these boards for quite some time. Nobody gave a shit about the debt. Far more interested in their big projects and expenditures or whatever the established party was pushing down their relaxed and willing throats. Can't pay down the debt because:
--otherwise the terrorists will win
--the Greatest Generation needs viagara
--it is still possible that (name of country with 1/100th the military we have) would invade and we won't be prepared
--need a wall to keep Mexicans from crossing the border without the aid of a ladder
--have you forgotten?
--food stamps need to include all flavors of cigarellos
--we need to maintain a presence in the Pacific to defeat anything from Monster Island
--making people of all ages pay more into social security would make old people switch from eating Iams to eating lowly Puppy Chow
--tax breaks will lead to prettier views of rich people's houses

the opinions of people on these boards have changed with each respective talking point of their chosen party.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:As for the fees going up at public schools, we have a few things to thank. First off, states have decided that college campuses need to look like the taj mahal. This is bullshit. UConn looked like low income housing back in the day. Didn't stop kids from getting drunk edumacated. A lack of study habits stopped me! Also, those universities are chock full of unionized state employees and everyone here in Ct knows what that means.
Your daughter must have inherited the mailman's genes.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

smackaholic wrote: Of course, being a french major, she'll likely end up teaching which means going on for her Masters, so maybe I do have more than 2 years of poverty to look forward to.
Which of you brilliant parents backed this idea of being a "french major" ?

Checked up on the teaching profession lately ? French teachers getting the elective axe all over this country..a " french" major ? What the fuck do you do with a Masters in that ?

Paying for college as you go has worked out for 2 of my kids, 2 others have the GI bill paying for it, and I paid for mine as I went some 33 years ago. One of my daughter in laws has a degree in teaching..and 46K in student debt left and she can't get a job teaching any where around here...after all there have probably only been over 1,200 teachers laid off in Oregon this year and more to go next year and the year after that.

Of course if she gets a job teaching French at a private school she might have a job..but really..French major ?
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Derron wrote:a " french" major ? What the fuck do you do with a Masters in that ?
She's got all sorts of options:

Or maybe a nice little administrative gig with a fortune 500 company where she can blow her way to 15 bucks an hour. If she's lucky.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

KC Scott wrote:probably not - I need to change the air in my tires
dude, take my advice, go with nitrogen instead of oxygen, the molecules in nitro are larger, thus, you NEVER have to worry about losing pressure.

its really that simple.
I'll pull you out of that one bunk hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. The warden, shawshank redemption.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Derron wrote:a " french" major ? What the fuck do you do with a Masters in that ?
She's got all sorts of options:

Or maybe a nice little administrative gig with a fortune 500 company where she can blow her way to 15 bucks an hour. If she's lucky.
please,
If she really is a french major? she can make huge money being a high class escort. I know from experience, the girls who can speak french? WOW!!! Ive never cum as hard or big as with them.
Something about the french language in bed, its such a "turn - on", trust me, you will plaster her with gallons of cum.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Neither of us picked her major for her. I'd have rather she picked something with better job prospects. But, WTF are ya gonna do?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Imagine if Elvis spoke French, bradley. You'd blast so much jizz, Screwy could retire at 35 from all the overtime.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Bizzarofelice wrote: just be prepared to have her cars under your name for 7 years.
i'm sure the were both planning on that anyway, and probably more like 17 years instead of 7.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

In real world, all too many of these kids are being sold a bill of goods by "BIG COLLEGE" cranking out graduates with useless degrees. Even in my old profession teaching, there is a lot of waste. How many 3rd grade teachers really need a Master's degree, or biology teachers for that matter. A two year intensive track for teaching like the old Normal Schools is probably plenty. Don't even get me going on programs like black studies, women's studies, and the like. If we weren't such a litigious society we wouldn't need half the lawyers we have, but could certainly use more nurses and physicians. Hell half the young guys would probably be better off if their parents bought them a pick up truck at graduation and some tools and let them create a job/business. Putting "shop" classes back in our high schools wouldn't hurt.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Wolfman wrote: How many 3rd grade teachers really need a Master's degree, or biology teachers for that matter.
The ones that want to hit that 109K in wage and benefits (before retirement contribution) after 7 years working. Thank the unions for that.

Hell half the young guys would probably be better off if their parents bought them a pick up truck at graduation and some tools and let them create a job/business. Putting "shop" classes back in our high schools wouldn't hurt.
Maybe in years past, but not so much any more. A trade is good, but there is no way our high schools are turning out kids ready to work at a trade and expect to make a decent living, unless they hit some kid of apprentice program. The trades in our area have been hit so hard with illegal Messicans and the fuckin Russians that work for nothing, going to work for yourself or starting a business simply does not pencil out.

The shop classes that still exist are a shell of what the programs were 20 years ago or even 10 years ago.

This is a link to one of the most successful programs in our state. My son and son in law went through this program and did come out with journeyman level skills after 3 years. Enough to get a decent blue collar job if the fucking Messicans would work for more than 10 bucks an hour. The trades ae dominated by low cost illegal's and offer no hope for someone wanting to make a family wage living. Nobody is working in this state anyway so what the fuck.

http://www.fghsvikinghouse.com/Pages/default.aspx
Derron
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Congratulations to those on here who have kids that have had success in college, especially Mikee and Wolfman.

No debt for me, my step-son is going in the Marines in 2 weeks. His idea, not mine. If it was up to me he would some how find his way into sales, as he is a hell of a talker and wheeler-dealer.

God i hope he doesnt die in that shithole Afghanistan. :(
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Trampis wrote:Congratulations to those on here who have kids that have had success in college, especially Mikee and Wolfman.

No debt for me, my step-son is going in the Marines in 2 weeks. His idea, not mine. If it was up to me he would some how find his way into sales, as he is a hell of a talker and wheeler-dealer.

Rack your son and Semper Fi. Think good thoughts, hopefully by the time he would be set up to go, Barry will have us out of that shit hole. One of my boys did a tour there and one did a tour in Iraq. They come back changed men that is for sure.

They are now full time students on the GI bill. Hopefully you can get to his boot camp graduation. It is quite an experience. PM if you need details.
Derron
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Wolfman wrote:In real world, all too many of these kids are being sold a bill of goods by "BIG COLLEGE" cranking out graduates with useless degrees. Even in my old profession teaching, there is a lot of waste. How many 3rd grade teachers really need a Master's degree, or biology teachers for that matter. A two year intensive track for teaching like the old Normal Schools is probably plenty. Don't even get me going on programs like black studies, women's studies, and the like. If we weren't such a litigious society we wouldn't need half the lawyers we have, but could certainly use more nurses and physicians. Hell half the young guys would probably be better off if their parents bought them a pick up truck at graduation and some tools and let them create a job/business. Putting "shop" classes back in our high schools wouldn't hurt.
"Black Studies". is that an oxymoron?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

KC Scott wrote:
Derron wrote: Maybe in years past, but not so much any more. A trade is good, but there is no way our high schools are turning out kids ready to work at a trade and expect to make a decent living, unless they hit some kid of apprentice program. The trades in our area have been hit so hard with illegal Messicans and the fuckin Russians that work for nothing, going to work for yourself or starting a business simply does not pencil out.
Have a friend that's a painting contractor, hired several Mexi and he's doing well with it. He's able to win a lot of jobs beacuse he's bidding the labor at $8-9 an hour vs. $15+
Check back with him in a year or 2. May have very little burden and overhead cost, but bidding your work at your straight labor rate is a real good way to lose your ass real fast. Even at $ 15 per hour, he probably is making very little. Of course, he probably is paying the wetback fucks under the table and working for cash, but he is doing well. Great business model.
Derron
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Trampis wrote:Congratulations to those on here who have kids that have had success in college, especially Mikee and Wolfman.

Rack your stepson. Anybody who makes that choice has my utmost respect. If he doesn't stay for the long term it's a great education and he could still go into sales. Being an ex-Marine is a door opener in a lot of places.