Joe Torre Death Watch

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

fix
Eternal Scobode

Joe Torre Death Watch

Post by fix »

``Enough is enough. I am bitterly disappointed as I'm sure all Yankee fans are by the lack of performance by our team,'' Steinbrenner said in a statement issued immediately after the game.

``It is unbelievable to me that the highest-paid team in baseball would start the season in such a deep funk. They are not playing like true Yankees. They have the talent to win and they are not winning. I expect Joe Torre, his complete coaching staff and the team to turn this around.''
This can't bode well for Torre's tenure..

On a related note, Billy Martin is still dead.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wasn't it last year or the year before when Torre and Steinbrenner had a little feud through the media? I don't think this is a huge deal. Torre has earned his stay in New York. The Boss is crazy but he won't fire the guy that lead his team to four championships. If you're going to play this poorly, it's better to do it now...plus, it's basically been all from the Orioles. The Yankees split the 6 games with the Red Sox but the Orioles have owned them by winning 5 of 6 games including a series sweep this weekend at Camden Yards. With their talent, they'll get things turned around soon.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Re: Joe Torre Death Watch

Post by The Assassin »

Otis wrote:
``Enough is enough. I am bitterly disappointed as I'm sure all Yankee fans are by the lack of performance by our team,'' Steinbrenner said in a statement issued immediately after the game.

``It is unbelievable to me that the highest-paid team in baseball would start the season in such a deep funk. They are not playing like true Yankees. They have the talent to win and they are not winning. I expect Joe Torre, his complete coaching staff and the team to turn this around.''
This can't bode well for Torre's tenure..

On a related note, Billy Martin is still dead.
RACK!! When King George is upsetting the bee hive,baseball is a better place!
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Surprised it took this long. I thought George was going to have a coronary the game theat Tek took Mo out of the yard. NESN had a camera locked on him and he was near tears. Then Damon hits it high and deep and Georgie mouths"Oh no, not again." Jeter saved his ass that day ad he still cried :lol:
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

There is, of course, plenty of season left to turn the Yanks around,
but personally, I find them more entertaining when they're losing.
Steinbrenner is not known for his patience, and somewhere between the lines
in that quote, I see a thinly veiled threat, as in, "Turn this around,
or suffer the consequences". :twisted:
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I just love how George overpays guys like Wright and Pavano and when they don't perform, it's Torre's fault. Wright has been up and down ever since he made a splash his rookie season. Mazzone could easily get most of the credit for his season last year. Pavano was a sub-.500 pitcher even after his 18-8 record last year. Seeing Johnson struggle has been a little bit of a surprise. The rotation is better than last year but George put a lot of money into two guys who've had career years in their contract year and let a solid pitcher like Lieber go.

As I said, they'll get it turned around. They've got such a loaded lineup...they won't have problems scoring runs. I suppose the pitching staff is a little suspect right now with the way Rivera has been knocked around by the Sox and George's two big free agent signings haven't been all that impressive. I'm sure George is a little extra grumpy because of this being the year coming off the Sox winning a title.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Shoalzie wrote:I just love how George overpays guys like Wright and Pavano and when they don't perform, it's Torre's fault. Wright has been up and down ever since he made a splash his rookie season. Mazzone could easily get most of the credit for his season last year. Pavano was a sub-.500 pitcher even after his 18-8 record last year. Seeing Johnson struggle has been a little bit of a surprise. The rotation is better than last year but George put a lot of money into two guys who've had career years in their contract year and let a solid pitcher like Lieber go.
Ding, ding, ding, ding
We have a winnah!!!!!!!!!
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Shoalzie wrote:They've got such a loaded lineup...they won't have problems scoring runs.
You got that right!

Sincerely,
Tampa Bay 8
NY Yanks 19
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Funkywhiteboy wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:They've got such a loaded lineup...they won't have problems scoring runs.
You got that right!

Sincerely,
Tampa Bay 8
NY Yanks 19

We all know that George will get credit for it too. :lol:
AnNeg
Nighthawk

Post by AnNeg »

...... and Torre will take the fall for the Yanks totally going nowhere against the D-Rays tonight..... :lol:
Say this three times fast.....

Hinske, Hudson, Hill, Hillenbrand, Halladay, Huckaby
Buried_Nick
You can't spell scUM, without UM

Post by Buried_Nick »

This team is in a shithole of epic proportions.

Unwar the Yankmees!
Poptart, the tard slapper wrote:Don't ya think you could at least sit the boys down for a day or two and talk to 'em about rubbin' one out...?
:lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, a couple of games under .500 early in the season is "sky is falling" territory, alright.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one