Kids still mosh?

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Kids still mosh?

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Scrit mentioned people moshing during Radiohead and that reminded me of all the pent-up guys who would mosh to anything. I remember a Violent Femmes show in '90 where the kids were moshing to slow songs for some reason.

do the youth of today still mosh? If so, they still mosh to slow, inappropriate songs? have their manners improved any?

I was once one of those goofy kids. I remember a 7 Seconds show where a really short mullato skinhead elbowed me in the balls hard enough that I promptly went to the bathroom and threw up all over.
why is my neighborhood on fire
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Bizzarofelice wrote:do the youth of today still mosh? If so, they still mosh to slow, inappropriate songs? have their manners improved any?
Yes. Yes. No.

The last show I was at was a Hank Williams III show and the dumbasses were fucking moshing to that shit!! They will move around to almost anything. And no... manners are as bad as ever. I was ready to kick the shit out of some drunk fucker who could barely stand up straight.

Assholes will mosh to Reverand Horton Heat and several have thrown beer at him during the show. He stopped the show and almost didn't come back on again. Stupid drunk bastards - ruin it for everyone.

Kids are willing to mosh to anything it seems like. Probably because they can't dance for shit.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

i haven't been to any club shows in a while,but you would see the obligatory moshing. i do remember when the girls were moshing to Garbage when they were playing in Pittsburgh circa their first album.
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Moshing is one of the reasons I prefer licenced shows over all ages. I like to stand up front and don't need to be elbowed in the back constantly by a 16 year old girl, especially when I'm there to see a band like Modest Mouse or Ween.

There are bands like Fugazi who forbid it at their shows and will stop playing if it happens.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

'mosh ettiquette' ?

:lol:
mvscals blow monkey spunk
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

mosh ettiquette-now that's an oxymoron.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

scritti wrote:mosh ettiquette-now that's an oxymoron.
In the 80s, we called it "slamdancing". It used to be pretty fun, and it definitely involved etiquitte. When someone fell down, he/she was picked up quickly. The focus wasn't on diving as much as it was on the pit. Actually, the focus was usually on the music - which is where the problem with "mosh" begins with me.

People rarely got hurt "slamdancing", although I did sprain some guy's wrist inadvertently one time.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

at the shows i remember at Club Laga(nice touch turning them into apartments that-because of the fact that they were losing money),the ettiquette went out the window at some of the all ages shows.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

PSUFAN wrote:
scritti wrote:mosh ettiquette-now that's an oxymoron.
When someone fell down, he/she was picked up quickly. The focus wasn't on diving as much as it was on the pit. Actually, the focus was usually on the music - which is where the problem with "mosh" begins with me.
'swhatI'msayin'. Pick up the guy off the ground, don't fly headlong into the periphery (especially girls) and don't go out to hurt people.

I was accustomed to seeing ths type of behavior at Shelter or All shows, but after Pearl Jam started showing it in music videos, we had people going crazy at any damned show. What the fuck about "Evenflow" or "Jeremy" says "thrash about?"
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

I went to see Beck way back in 96 on the Odelay tour.

He did about 4 accoustic songs,and people were moshing to it!!There was a big ole pit!!

BTW The one,and only time I moshed I got icked in the head by some chick body surfing,and my glasses were broken.

I never had any desire to mosh again.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I leave moshing to those with IQs lower than mine. I never saw the need for it. What ever happened to doing a shitload of drugs and staring at your hand?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

That leads to an interesting point, actually. Acid moved out of the Lava Lamp Lounges and into the Arena Rock world. Why? Because Deadheads got greedy and started selling shit at other venues besides their own tours.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

7 seconds. they were pretty good. from Reno, Nevada I think.

i have some friends from Tahoe north shore who were big into 7 seconds.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

they later got all positive message, but its still fun to sing.

The crew is me, the crew is you, yeah we're the crew