Boise State - Georgia

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Boise State - Georgia

Post by Dinsdale »

Lots of uncertainty on both teams (UGA moreso than BSU), "road" game for BSU in SEC Country where a good chunk of one team's players have never felt humidity in their lives...

Lots of reasons.

We'll see how the gamblers feel, and see if there's a big swing one way or the other over the next ~48 hours.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Georgia couldn't run the ball for shit last season, but they got Crowell on national signing day to fix that. They get most of the o-line back which can't be worse than last season.

Aaron Murray is supposed to be one of the better QBs in the SEC, but I'm not sure if his production will go up with no AJ Green to throw it up to.

The front seven looks to be much better than last season, but that secondary looks bad. Other than Boykin, they don't have any other proven kid back there. The d-line and OLBs need to put pressure on the QB to help those defensive backs.

Special Teams is where Georgia will thrive. They have an A+ returner in Boykin and perhaps the best kicker/punter tandem in the nation.

Boise State is pretty much in the same boat as Georgia. They have questions in the secondary, but have a very good and experienced front seven. Kellen Moore is better than Murray, but he doesn't have Pettis or or Young to throw to anymore. Boise does have Martin at RB, so they are better...or ore proven in that area than Georgia.

Boise is pretty much better than Georgia in every area with the exception of the D-line.

Boise State's biggest weakness is their kickoff coverage, which plays into the hands of the one of the best returners and kickoff return teams in the nation.

It's not an easy task playing between the hedges in Sanford Stadium on opening night. Hell, I think any SEC West opponent would struggle to an extent under those circumstances. Boise can win on the road as we've seen, but I think this game is close and it will come down to who has better special teams play.

Georgia wins.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Go Coogs' wrote:It's not an easy task playing between the hedges in Sanford Stadium on opening night.
Game is at the Georgia Dome...though still basically a home game for Georgia.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Go Coogs' wrote:It's not an easy task playing between the hedges in Sanford Stadium on opening night.
Game is at the Georgia Dome...though still basically a home game for Georgia.
Ah...my bad. Yeah, its still SEC territory and it won't be easy for the Broncs.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The more I think about this one, it seems UGA has more question marks than BSU.

And if their secondary is weak as C'o'og's claims, Moore will carve them up.

BUT... the run-and-gunners of the West Coast (Boise ain't "west coast," but they play like it) track-meet style of ball sometimes doesn't jibe with the SEC's typical outside-in style of defense.

What an interesting matchup.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

BSU will be slicing and dicing Georgia's secondary up. It'll be one of those game where they throw it 60 times and no more than 5 yards in the air at a time. Slant routes, timed break routes, etc. Allsmall routes that have potential to have big YAC gains. BSU won't have time to sit back in the pocket and throw bombs downfield so they'll popgun it.

I just don't see Georgia hanging with them for 4 quarters.

BSU 41
Georgia 31
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Boise State by 3 scores.

I bet I'm closer in that prediction.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i like Boise to win. not Boise program of 6 years ago or whenever they played UGA before. Moore as a 4 year starter is a big plus in a "road" type game.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Dinsdale wrote:What an interesting matchup.
S'what I'm thinking.

VA Tech is sort of an SEC style team, but they were not the VA Tech we've seen in the past. Yeah, they ended up winning the ACC, but it was in a down year. Stanford destroyed them and that pretty much told me Boise St's win over them wasn't an upset. Boise was just better than the Hokies last season.

Boise is and should be favored by at least 4 over Georgia in this one, but this one will be close and I think it falls Georgia's way.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Is Georgia really going to be that much better? They lost 6-10 to UCF. Boise would score 6 points on UCF in the first 60 seconds of the game.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Is Georgia really going to be that much better? They lost 6-10 to UCF. Boise would score 6 points on UCF in the first 60 seconds of the game.
they also lost to Dan Hawkins. and UGA loses the stud WR (who was the best player on the field by a lot).
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Is Georgia really going to be that much better? They lost 6-10 to UCF. Boise would score 6 points on UCF in the first 60 seconds of the game.
Being preseasoned ranked #19 has to count for something, right? Writers and coaches have been known to be wrong in their preseason rankings before, but I think their conclusions are based off talent and spring practices. Georgia's recruiting class was ranked #5, so they do have some impact players coming in with the freshman class.

Not only that, but they got one of the top JUCO transfers on the interior line. Georgia's defensive line was one of the smallest in the SEC last season and now they are considered one of the largest with two interior linemen weighing in at 350 and 360 respectively.

Basically what I'm saying is you can't use the Liberty Bowl game as a true indentifier for this year's team. Oh, and UCF had one of the better D-Lines in the nation last year. Just sayin'.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

coaches need to stop wearing those Greg Norman in the 90's straw hats....
"
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Sudden Sam wrote:Can someone explain to me how the 6th or 7th* best SEC team is only a 3.5 point underdog to a potential BCS title game participant?

Felix?
lots of things that work to Georgia's advantage
1. 2-3 star atheletes against SEC quality athletes
2. neutral field my ass
3. long trip for Boise State

Crowell looks good, but this being his first collegiate game, I'm guessing it may take a bit for him to adjust to the speed of the game....and he's really their only running back....big advantage BSU

look for Boise State to throw some crazy defenses at them like what they did to TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.....Boise State and Petersen thrive on thinking outside the box....

BSU's special teams still worry me a little, but they'll definitely kick it Boykin's way....I think the game is going to go a lot like the Virginia Tech game, but when Boise State takes the lead, I don't think they'll relinquish it.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Papa Willie wrote:If BSU is smart, they will blitz Murray every play and knock him out with a season-ending injury before the game is over.
Then UGAfan will post slow-motion videos on YouTube and cry about cheap shots. :cry:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Carson wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:If BSU is smart, they will blitz Murray every play and knock him out with a season-ending injury before the game is over.
Then UGAfan will post slow-motion videos on YouTube and cry about cheap shots. :cry:

Because BSU would never dream of cheap-shotting.

Sin,
Jerimiah Masoli

If you start throwing downfield on BSU, they start knee-hunting after the whistle.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote: they also lost to Dan Hawkins.

And they beat Dan Hawkins when he was sporting a better team.

It's 2011.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:
King Crimson wrote: they also lost to Dan Hawkins.

And they beat Dan Hawkins when he was sporting a better team.

It's 2011.
my point was they lost to a bad CU team, but thanks for the input. i do reference that this isn't the same Boise program that last played UGA (under Dan the man)....earlier in the thread.

but, hey, thanks for playing.
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Remember, BSU is missing a couple of guys who recieved improper benefits in the form of free Big Macs, or some shit.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:Remembr, BSU is missing a couple of guys who recieved improper benefits in the form of free Big Macs, or some shit.
3 guys who's eligibility is apparently now a question....all three from Amsterdam...it's got nothing to do with academics or receiving improper benefits....all three played high school football here, they all played for BSU last year....I find it weird that 2 days before the game, this all of a sudden pops up...

one was boise's deep threat pass receiver, the second is one of the rotating defensive linemen, the third, and the one who's loss scares me the most is one of the starting safeties....a red shirt freshman will be taking his position...look for murray to toss it that way all night...the line went from -3.5 to 3, so apparently I'm not the only one who sees it as a hit.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Looks like BSU is the real deal.

I can't say UGA playing like shit is the excuse because I've already used that for Auburn yesterday. :oops:

Richt is outta there.