Satellite radio

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Satellite radio

Post by RadioFan »

Anyone else have it?

I received it for Christmas this year (Sirius), for the home and a vehicle.

Quite simply, it is awesome. There's about 135 channels and I haven't even heard all of them yet because I've been stuck on some of the music stations and the killah shit they play.

Even the classic rock station ("The Vault") kicks ass. They play a bunch of stuff I haven't heard in ages on that channel, and rarely are they songs that are played over and over again on FM radio ('sup Clear Channel).

$13 a month, and well worth it, imo.

If you don't have it -- a big recommendation here.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Stern fan?
Tiberious
Resident Bookie

Post by Tiberious »

I have had XM Radio for the last year and half and I love it. I think its better than Sirius isnt as good, but I am biased because XM has it all.

Everything from 40s hits through today and sports, news and comedy channels, I dont know why everyone doesnt have XM, which is 9.95 a month plus ALL MLB games this year alont with Big 10, PAC 10 and ACC football and Basketball games.
You know who I am.

Make the world a better place, punch Urban Meyer in the face.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Bacefelice wrote:Stern fan?
Nosir.

Even if he was on Sirius, I wouldn't listen. Too much good music.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

War XM!!!!
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Tiberious wrote:I have had XM Radio for the last year and half and I love it. I think its better than Sirius isnt as good, but I am biased because XM has it all.
Not even.

Sirius has NFL, NBA and most Big XXII teams. Plus they have every game during the NCAA tourney, come March.

Granted, XM is a couple of bucks cheaper, and it does have Rush Limbaugh. :roll:

And Sirius has Michael Savage and Michael Reagan. Same shit, different package.

But you're right about MLB.

Damn. Everyone just can't get ENOUGH of baseball. Especially out here in the Midwest, in the middle of summer, when there is nothing else to listen to, outside of bad music and religious programming.

HEY, I know, While I'm driving from Kansas City to OKC, let me see if I can catch a baseball game!!

:roll: :roll:

Better yet, some fucking minor league or college game, which nobody in their right mind gives a flying FUCK about, yet there it is, all over the fucking place -- baseball.

Sorry, dude, but MLB "BASEBALL" is no longer "baseball," no matter how much the goddamn Yankees and the other 8 teams, which actually have a chance in hell of winning a championship, like to portray it as somehow being "competitive."

As for listening to it on the radio, on a hot, August day?

FUCK that. I don't FUCKING CARE, especially when it's the Royals vs. the Yankees. Know what I'm sayin?

Yeah, baseball on X-M -- REAL EXCITING.

:roll:
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

War XM!!!!
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

I have a feeling Jake likes XM radio.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Donovan wrote:I have a feeling Jake likes XM radio.
'sall good. Just as long as he's not driving.

The "excitement" of MLB on the radio, in the middle of July, might put him to sleep.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

war Sirius Left of Center...

for the record-XM strikes back at radio
Last week the radio industry announced its Radio. You hear it here first ad campaign, defending the medium's reputation against recent attacks from satellite radio and other media. In a direct response, XM Satellite Radio has unveiled a new campaign touting "Hear It Here Best." On XM's Web site is a statement claiming that "Not Only Do You Hear It Here First, It's Commercial Free," which is a part of its own, new ad campaign.

"We wanted to make sure people understood that the artists identified in the local radio advertisements are artists that have also worked with us through their own shows, performances or other events," XM VP Corporate Affairs Chance Patterson told FMQB. "The first quarter of the year is typically a time when there is a surplus of unsold advertising time, so rather than giving that time back to the music directors to put more music in rotation, they have elected to insert more advertising. What makes it worse is this is advertising that is really publicizing their own issues. So they are really going back to one of the bigger issues of local radio today, which are repetitive playlists and too many ads."

"We have taken great pride in playing music that local radio rarely plays," added Patterson. "There are lots of artists that don't get any radio exposure, yet we play them on a regular basis. It's less than genuine for these local radio companies to say they are at the center of launching new music in the United States."

The page lists a number of positives about XM, explaining how the satcaster plays music "First," "Live," "New" and "Exclusive." The page even includes artist testimonials from Moby, Willie Nelson, Alicia Keys and others. Most notable is the series of photographs running on the same page that shows photos of Ludacris, Ashanti, Hoobastank, and Avril Lavigne while at XM's studios. Each of those artists voiced promos for the terrestrial radio awareness campaign. Alicia Keys, whose pro-XM quote appears first on the XM Web site, is also involved in the "Radio. You hear it here first" ads as well.
http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=62306
rack XM for the crackback
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
BrettFavre
Crack Whore

Post by BrettFavre »

Ditto, RadioFan I got Sirius for Chrtmas @ hame and 4 the vehicle. It simply is the best!
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Rack XM for the crackback.

Local FM radio was at least listenable before Clear Channel gobbled up 90 percent of the market. Tulsa used to have one of the best rock stations in the Midwest until it went corporate. Now, it's unlistenable, unless you like hearing the same 20 songs 24/7.

I hope satellite radio continues to eat up the market. Unfortunately, it's the local stations that will suffer before the clueless CEOs and VPs at Clear Channel.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

I'll be saving the butter and egg money to get XM later this year! 8)
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

i treated myself to a XM boombox as few days ago, i'll stick with my cd's and local radio in my truck, i'm just now scratching the surface with it, but so far i'm really digging it! DEEP TRACKS is my fave station at this moment, and the phil hendrie show, of couse!
i can't wait to take it outside this summer! i have a feeling i'll be killing more beers than usual this summer! :lol:
sorry about that whammy!
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

FWB, you won't be disappointed. I have mine on nearly every night -- if not music, than sports. The only downside is that there's about a 15-second delay on the sports play-by-play, so it's really not practical to mute the TV and listen to decent announcers for a game.
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

*raises hand*

i think it rocks.

i love the fact that you hear such awesome music that you'd never hear on 'regular' radio.

spot on, radio fan.
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

RadioFan wrote:FWB, you won't be disappointed. I have mine on nearly every night -- if not music, than sports. The only downside is that there's about a 15-second delay on the sports play-by-play, so it's really not practical to mute the TV and listen to decent announcers for a game.
is there a schedule of games listed somewhere online?
sorry about that whammy!
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

tomas8 wrote:is there a schedule of games listed somewhere online?
Yes, there is for Sirius along with channel numbers, though the channel numbers are subject to change. Not sure about XM.

Btw, just now heard the studio version of "Bytor..." :wink:
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

!zzubevol wrote: i love the fact that you hear such awesome music that you'd never hear on 'regular' radio.
'swhatimsayin

Can't wait till summer when there's not much going on sport-wise to check out more of the music channels for extended periods of time.
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

RadioFan wrote:
tomas8 wrote:is there a schedule of games listed somewhere online?
Yes, there is for Sirius along with channel numbers, though the channel numbers are subject to change. Not sure about XM.

Btw, just now heard the studio version of "Bytor..." :wink:
cool.

i'm listening to a louis l'amour western.
sorry about that whammy!