Newton or Gabbert

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Newton or Gabbert

Post by War Wagon »

Who's the 1st QB taken in the draft?

While Newton may be the better athlete, Gabbert has the better head for playing QB at an NFL level. I was reading an article today on Yahoo saying Gabbert has an exceptional memory, which is sorta' useful when trying to retain a 700 page NFL playbook.

Of course I'm biased, but I say BG goes first. Anybody who is not an SECBSH see it different?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Newton or Gabbert

Post by BSmack »

Everything I have been reading suggests that SECBSH is on the mark about Newton getting picked first. The latest hot rumor here is that Gabbert is going to get picked up by the Bills. My condolences in advance.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Gabbert has all the right tools. Newton is a tool.

If I were a GM, I wouldn't take Newton first, last or at all. I don't care how badly my team needed a QB. I'd make do with a rent a vet and let somebody else deal with "the entertainer known as Cam Newton."
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Based upon what I saw on Gruden's QB Camp, I am not certain Newton is qualified to be a Dog Walker, nevermind an NFL QB. He's never called a play, a hot read, or a protection scheme in his life. At Auburn, they'd write a 2 digit number on a chalkboard and that'd be the play. :lol: He relied solely on his athletic ability to make plays at the college level. He won't have the same advantages in the NFL.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'd take Gabbert. Why do people still waste high draft picks on run-first qbs? Their success rate is about as impressive as JTR's sex life. It's also good to enter the NFL with some functioning knowledge of the quarterback position and how it's played. Based on the scheme he ran, and apparently the coaching he received, he is going to require a ton of coaching and hand-holding just to get to a competent level...and then you have to question whether he has the intellect, work ethic, and desire to take it all on. I just don't see it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Regardless of where he gets drafted, I believe Gabbert will be an outstanding NFL QB. Maybe not right away, but he's got all the tools. I've watched him make some unbelievable throws and yes, a few horrid ones as well. See Iowa Insight Bowl pic 6. If he's got one drawback, it's his tendency to get flushed from the pocket early before there was any real pressure. He's big and strong and shouldn't be sacked easily. He's also tough enough to play through nagging injuries.

I'll be very surprised should he drop out of the top 10.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:If Newton goes 1 I don't see gabbert making it past the Bills at 5
The Bills are at 3. And yea, word out here is the Bills are after either Gabbert or that AtM linebacker.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

No one is more accurate at picking the fate of NFL draftees...

if I have a strong opinion about someone, one way or another, they'll invariably do the opposite -- I think my track record here is quite well-established.

That said, Scam Knewnothing has no chance at a long, productive NFL career...

so look for him to be inducted into The Hall in about 17 years.

Julio Jones is the can't-miss skill-position player... so look for him to be out of the league by 2012.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Newton doesnt seem to have his head screwed on right or all of his priorities in order. He is also by most accounts I have heard and read somewhat of a dumbshit. However he is all around the better athlete. That alone could make him a better prospect early on. I am one of the few MIZZOU fans thats not head over heals in love with Gabbert. Sure he has talent, size, all the right tools, blah blah blah. I just dont think he is any where near being ready to be starting QB of a successful team. 2, 3, hell maybe even 4 seasons on the bench behind a legitimate starting QB is what he really needs. I wouldnt draft either of these QB's in the first round. Newton has great potential to go knucklehead and be a total embarassment. I say that, referring mainly to issues away from the field. On the other hand, Gabbert has equally great potential of going Ryan Leaf if he doesnt have success early on.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:No one is more accurate at picking the fate of NFL draftees...

if I have a strong opinion about someone, one way or another, they'll invariably do the opposite -- I think my track record here is quite well-established.

RACK!

Sincerely,

Ray Rice
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Glad to see Gabbert land in Jville. Not so much hype, no need to hurry. Kid just may amount to a pretty decent player when all is said and done.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

War Wagon wrote:I'll be very surprised should he drop out of the top 10.
phew, that was close.

Jags traded up to get him at 10.

Mel Kiper can go suck a waxed dick.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:Mel Kiper can go suck a waxed dick.
Kiper is absolutely insufferable. You'd think after 20 years behind a fucking mic someone would have told him by now to TAKE A FUCKING BREATH ONCE IN A WHILE. Dude and Dick Vitale don't need oxygen.

Kiper is nothing more than a talking head covering an imprecise science. And he never shuts up. EVER. Baltimore resident or now.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Papa Willie wrote: Yeah - Falcons gave up a good bit for him
Too much, imo. They mortgaged their future on a WR known to drop passes.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Kiper is absolutely insufferable. You'd think after 20 years behind a fucking mic someone would have told him by now to TAKE A FUCKING BREATH ONCE IN A WHILE. Dude and Dick Vitale don't need oxygen.

Kiper is nothing more than a talking head covering an imprecise science. And he never shuts up. EVER. Baltimore resident or now.
Good God, whenever I flip over to the draft coverage, I just want to scream. Kiper sucks out loud. Boomer seems lost. Gruden looks like a little boy with that horrific helmet-head. And now Carimi goes to the FUCKING BEARS!
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Papa Willie wrote:Dimitroff built the Patriots.
No, he didn't. He was scouting director in New England.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Based on your experience today, I'm sure you could act as his scouting director.

Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Papa Willie wrote:
mvscal wrote:

Then he had absolutely nothing to do with building them. My bad.

The builders of the Pats are in KC and NE. Their names are Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick. Dimitroff was the heir apparent to Pioli though so you guys got yourself a good one. Jury is still out on that trade though.....
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Papa Willie wrote:
mvscal wrote:

Then he had absolutely nothing to do with building them. My bad.
A surprisingly agile backpedal.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote:And now Carimi goes to the FUCKING BEARS!
The KC Star beatwriter had Carimi going to the Chiefs with the 21st pick. Even after trading down to 27, they still could've have got him. I'm a big believer that any success an offense has is predicated on a decent line and they need to beef that up.

So we got a WR with an attitude, instead. Not thrilled at that.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Them big dumb naygurs make shitty NFL quarterbacks.

Sin,

Cryin' Leaf
Todd Marijuanavich
Tim Couchrider
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Carson wrote:Them big dumb naygurs make shitty NFL quarterbacks.

Sin,

Cryin' Leaf
Todd Marijuanavich
Tim Couchrider
Are you trying to make some kind of point? Of course there's going to be more dropback honkeys busting out of the league; there's a shit-ton more of them getting drafted.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:No one is more accurate at picking the fate of NFL draftees...

RACK!

Sincerely,

Ray Rice

Don't forget me!

Sin,
Glenn Dorsey, Dinsdale's game-changing can't miss from a few years back.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Glen Dorsey has actually started to play like he was expected to when drafted, an excellent run stopper. Would that Tyson Jackson would start to show similar progress.
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Looking over the Chiefs' draft a day later, on paper it looks pretty good. WR Jon Baldwin (if he produces) could be a HUGE addition opposite Dwayne Bowe, and help free up Tony Moeaki down the middle. C Rod Hudson could possibly be our starting center for the next 6-10 years, and 3rd round pick Justin Houston could be the ideal replacement/upgrade for Mike Vrabel to rush the passer.

The other notable pick was easily QB Ricky Stanzi in the 5th round....dude played in a pro-style offense at Iowa, so he should be more ready for this level of football than most guys. Hopefully his presence here will send Brodie Croyle packing and he will be the guy who eventually replaces Matt Cassel. As of right now I'll grade this draft class a soild B.
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Time for a bump.

Newton was throwing a lot of INTs earlier but he seems to have settled down.

Good thing he can run because he HAS to run with that pathetic O-line.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

wondering how the Jags got 41 pts today. that may equal their season total.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mizzou QBs of note:

What's Brad Smith's QB rating this season?

Is Chase Daniels still alive?

Will Blaine Gabbert have cataract surgery in the offseason?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

When you consider that Gabbert really should've come back for his senior year rather than going into the draft, he's not done all that bad. Talk about being thrown into the fire, it's no surprise he would struggle this year.

But he'll get better, there's no doubt of that.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote: But he'll get better, there's no doubt of that.

Yeah, getting thrown into the fire on a sucky offense with a bad line rarely has an impact on one's future career.

Sin,
Andre Ware, David Klinger, Todd Marinovich, Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Matt Leinart, Troy Smith, JaMarcus Russel, et al.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:Andre Ware, David Klinger, Todd Marinovich, Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Matt Leinart, Troy Smith, JaMarcus Russel, et al.

Damn -- 2 Ducks, 2 Trojans, and 2 C'o'o'g's.