Gaytors going after Weis.

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Re: Gaytors going after Weis.

Post by stuckinia »

Why would you go from NFL OC to college OC?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

ponderous.

The only explanation I can come up with is that his ego and Haley's are too big to be in the same room together. I can't see money being an issue.

I'd hate to lose him, but I'd rather lose him than Romeo Crennel.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

coach Boom and the Fat man.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Well, this is now a done deal. Personally, I think it’s a very risky move for Muschamp, bordering on stupid. Weis has an ego larger than his gut, and the only thing that kept him in check in New England was Bellichek. I don’t know how Weis is going to like taking orders from someone who is a first time head coach after Weis spent 5 years as the head man at a very visible institution.

As far as the actual x’s and o’s portion, Weis has proven that he can run very efficient offenses in college, but it comes with two caveats. The first, he needs an upper classman at QB that has a ton of game experience. His offense was great at ND with Quinn and Clausen in his junior year. The two in between years were fucking awful. The second, Weis does not develop the back ups. As evident by his shit ball in 2007 (coupled with below average talent left to him) and his sub-par showing in 2008, Weis does not spend any time in practice with the back ups.

To make this work, Muschamp has to have the balls to over rule Weis as a play caller. Weis gets very, very pass happy, which gets him in trouble.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

stuckinia wrote:Why would you go from NFL OC to college OC?
As I understand it, based on what I've read, Weis made the decision based more on family considerations than anything else.

Weis has a daughter who has Global Developmental Disorder, and the pace of the college coaching lifestyle will allow him to spend more time at home with his family than an NFL job does. If the NFL goes to an 18-game schedule, as has been discussed, the difference gets exacerbated further.

The second prong of the family considerations apparently centers around his son, Charlie, Jr. Word is that young Charlie wants to follow in his dad's footsteps, and that part of the deal between Weis and Muschamp is that young Charlie will follow his father to Florida when the time comes and become a student assistant while in school.

Far be it from me to criticize anyone for making a career decision based upon the needs of his family, but I see a few potential problems with that latter angle.

The first, and most obvious problem, is that coaches are hired to be fired. IIRC, Charlie, Jr. is still three years away from graduating from high school, and seven years away (at least) from graduating from college. There are certainly no guarantees that Dad will still be around when Charlie comes on the staff.

The second problem is that despite apparently good intentions, Weis may be setting his son up for failure before his career even starts. It's not unreasonable to think that Charlie, Jr. will encounter a problem with lack of respect from the players given that he'll be the same age as, or younger than, at least some of the players on Florida's roster for his entire tenure as a student assistant, and particularly because he will be where he will be because of his father's accomplishments, and not his own. If it works out for Charlie, Jr., he'll have a leg up on coaching the likes of which I can't remember anyone ever having at 22 years old. But I see too much possible downside in this.

Another problem, from Florida's angle, is as Killian mentioned. Weis has a huge ego, and may have a problem taking orders from a head coach 15 years his junior, particularly where Weis was previously a head coach at this level and Muschamp was not. Also, as Killian alluded, player development isn't exactly Weis' strong suit as a coach. Muschamp will have to oversee that, and be prepared to overrule Weis at times on that matter. Seems to me that with that rather obvious weakness viz. the college game, Weis is better suited to being an NFL coordinator.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Weis has a daughter who has Global Developmental Disorder, and the pace of the college coaching lifestyle will allow him to spend more time at home with his family than an NFL job does.
I'd figure that the pace of the college lifestyle, especially at UF, would lend itself to more hours than the NFL would, unless he's not going to be out recruiting.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Did anyone see when Corso flipped out over the Weiss to FL hire? I thought he was going to stroke out right there.

Oh shit, here it is....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAL1IcAlong
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Corso did bring up some valid points though.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

MuchoBulls wrote:Corso did bring up some valid points though.
I actually agree with him, I just love that it got him so fired up.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

MuchoBulls wrote:Corso did bring up some valid points though.
Sounds like a good start to a "Things you thought you'd never hear in 2011" thread.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:IIRC, Charlie, Jr. is still three years away from graduating from high school, and seven years away (at least) from graduating from college. There are certainly no guarantees that Dad will still be around when Charlie comes on the staff.
You remember incorrectly.

His son is set to graduate this year, coincidentally, from the same KC Catholic H.S. I attended for two years, and he'll immediately become a student assistant coach at Florida while he attends classes there. Pretty sweet deal having Charlie Weiss as your dad.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Killian wrote:Well, this is now a done deal. Personally, I think it’s a very risky move for Muschamp, bordering on stupid. Weis has an ego larger than his gut, and the only thing that kept him in check in New England was Bellichek. I don’t know how Weis is going to like taking orders from someone who is a first time head coach after Weis spent 5 years as the head man at a very visible institution.

As far as the actual x’s and o’s portion, Weis has proven that he can run very efficient offenses in college, but it comes with two caveats. The first, he needs an upper classman at QB that has a ton of game experience. His offense was great at ND with Quinn and Clausen in his junior year. The two in between years were fucking awful. The second, Weis does not develop the back ups. As evident by his shit ball in 2007 (coupled with below average talent left to him) and his sub-par showing in 2008, Weis does not spend any time in practice with the back ups.

To make this work, Muschamp has to have the balls to over rule Weis as a play caller. Weis gets very, very pass happy, which gets him in trouble.
I just want to say that as a Chiefs fan I am disappointed with this. I thought Charlie did a fantastic job calling plays.

Did you watch the Chiefs this year? We were anything but pass-happy. I think it's obvious Charlie hasn't proven he can be an effective head coach but you can't argue his results as an offensive coordinator.

I don't think he needs an experienced QB to be successful. He proved that this year with Matt Cassel. He had only 2 years experience as a starting QB (which isn't a lot for an NFL QB). I think it's more based on his offensive line. Look at when ND had quality O-lines, the Chiefs O-line this year, and his years in New England. When his offensive line was solid, his offense was good.

I don't think Charlie's ego will get in the way up in the booth as long as Muschamp is willing to give him full offensive coordinator duties. I'm not sure why a defensive coach like Muschamp would be overriding much of what his offensive coordinator calls.

I think Charlie is a good coach, a good recruiter (this is important too), but things just didn't work out for him at Notre Dame. Sometimes good coaches fail at places they end up not being a great fit at that time. But his results as an offensive coordinator speak for themselves.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Look at Weis's offenses at ND. Very pass happy. You guys ran the ball this year because your HC is an offensive guy who demanded to run the ball. Charlie didn't have full autonomy, another reason he wanted to leave.

Cassel is in his 3rd year as a starter. How many 3 year starters at QB do you get in college? Plus he has unlimited time to work with him and isn't bound by NCAA rules.

I wish Charlie all the best, but the UF offense will go through serious peaks and valleys.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Killian wrote:Look at Weis's offenses at ND. Very pass happy. You guys ran the ball this year because your HC is an offensive guy who demanded to run the ball.
KC runs the ball because they have Thomas Jones and Jamal Charles. It's called playing to your strengths.
Charlie didn't have full autonomy, another reason he wanted to leave.
He most likely won't get that at Florida either.