Tremendous Slouch

BYU to go independent?

Post by MuchoBulls »

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/50 ... e.html.csp

Done deal: BYU to go independent in football

By Jay drew and tony jones

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated 8 minutes ago Updated Aug 18, 2010 12:06PM
Brigham Young University will leave the Mountain West Conference, go independent in football and rejoin the Western Athletic Conference in all non-football sports beginning in the fall of 2011, The Salt Lake Tribune confirmed Wednesday morning.

According to a source in the WAC office, BYU will seek final approval for the moves from its owner, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, either today or Thursday. Pending approval, a press conference is planned for early next week. But because of media reports that broke late Tuesday night, that timetable may change.

“In light of the media leaks, it may be expedited a bit,” the source told The Tribune.

BYU’s move to leave the MWC, become a football independent and rejoin the WAC — which it belonged to for nearly four decades before departing with Utah and six other schools to joint the Mountain West — has been in the works for the past month, according to the source.

BYU declined to confirm reports of the pending move. School officials are aware of “the ton of rumors flying around out there,” BYU associate athletic director Duff Tittle said Wednesday morning, but that doesn’t mean the reports have validity regarding the school’s future in the Mountain West Conference.

However, BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe, in a July meeting with reporters, acknowledged that BYU going independent was “an option” the school had been looking at the past six months, along with several other possibilities.

Why?

BYU has repeatedly expressed unhappiness with its paltry television revenue from the Mountain West Conference. Member schools netted less than $2 million per school in football television money last year from the MWC’s television network.

The pressure on BYU increased when Utah accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10 last month, beginning next year. The Utes could make more than $15 million annually in football television revenue when it achieves full member status.

Not only were the Cougars not invited to join the Pac-10; the Big 12 announced soon after that it no plans to expand again after losing Nebraska to the Big 10 and Colorado to the Pac-10.

BYU already has its own television network in place and now has a broadcast center to go with it.

According to an espn.com report Tuesday night, the Cougars will play four WAC teams per year in football. The school will also now be free to cut its own television deals with networks like ESPN, and perhaps agreements with bowl games
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Re: BYU to go independent?

Post by Cross Traffic »

This is sending another set of moves up....looks like Nevada and Fresno State are going to the MWC.

http://www.rgj.com/section/blogs16?plck ... d=blogDest

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/18/204 ... n-mwc.html

With these moves the WAC is DEAD in football....a conference with Idaho, NM State, La Tech, San Jose State, Utah State, and Hawaii is junk.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

They'll find out there are enough catholics to float ND, but not enough cultists to float BYU...unless, of course, polygamy joins gay marriage in acceptance...
E UNUM PLURIBUS
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

bad news for the MWC, but really is kind of pansy move to counter Utah to the Pac.

BYU to the world: "we matter!"

who cares, really? BYU beats OU last season so they have concerns about BCS games? OK.

good luck scheduling in November.....Army and Navy are already on the hotline.....
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

In the immortal words of Sirgulpaload, "Who gives a fuck?"
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

King Crimson wrote:BYU beats OU last season so they have concerns about BCS games? OK.
They got throttled on their own home field by FSU, so that should have taken away all that glory from the OU win.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

The BCS needs to go.

The Fresno-Nevada counter to join the MWC was a reactionary move by the conference when BYU jumped ship. All this shifting this summer is a result of the BCS. None of this happens if they found a way for every conference to participate for the big bucks.

Everyone knew this was going to happen at some point because the rich kept getting richer while other schools were just trying to stay afloat. The BCS is a fucking fraud and the NCAA knows it. Everyone knows they need to find another postseason solution, or this will continue to get ugly next summer, and the next summer, and the next summer.

Fuck this stupid system.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

RACK Rumps. I miss the Bowl Coalition.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

King Crimson wrote:good luck scheduling in November.....Army and Navy are already on the hotline.....
A long-term deal with ND for November probably makes some sense, not that BYU is the kind of marquee opponent ND fans want to see on the schedule, though.

I suspect they'll also be able to keep Utah on the schedule. At this point I really don't think Utah would give a rat's ass if BYU leaves the MWC.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:not that BYU is the kind of marquee opponent ND fans want to see on the schedule, though.
Especially when BYU is mopping the floor with ND Screwball-style.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

You might start seeing more schools go independent if they have a solid football program. They can schedule who they want and keep all the money. BYU was smart in thinking this way. Unfortunately for them, the WAC just got weaker with their #2 and 3 schools jumping ship for the MWC.

I can see other mid-major schools going this route if they can afford it in the short term.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Go Coogs' wrote:You might start seeing more schools go independent if they have a solid football program. They can schedule who they want and keep all the money. BYU was smart in thinking this way. Unfortunately for them, the WAC just got weaker with their #2 and 3 schools jumping ship for the MWC.

I can see other mid-major schools going this route if they can afford it in the short term.
Not really. BYU is still on the outside looking in when it comes to the BCS. The reason why they want to go independent is because of their television network.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Cross Traffic wrote:This is sending another set of moves up....looks like Nevada and Fresno State are going to the MWC.

With these moves the WAC is DEAD in football....a conference with Idaho, NM State, La Tech, San Jose State, Utah State, and Hawaii is junk.
Not only would it be weak, it would be illegal at least as presently comprised. NCAA rules require that Division 1-A conferences have a minimum of 8 members.

On top of that, Hawai'i is a vulnerable link on at least two fronts:

1. Like BYU, Hawai'i has been exploring football independence.
2. These moves put the MWC at 10 teams. Given the MWC's ambitions, it's perfectly logical that they might take the next step and go to 12. If so, Hawai'i and Houston would appear to be the most likely targets.

To add insult to injury, if Houston were to go to the MWC, C-USA likely would target La Tech as a replacement for Houston.

The WAC will need to add at least 2-4 programs to remain a viable football conference. If they can't do that, I don't see that conference surviving.

Which, in turn, and going back to the beginning, may throw a bit of a monkey wrench into BYU's plans. The Big West and WCC still would be available, but both would be a step down from the WAC.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Cross Traffic wrote:This is sending another set of moves up....looks like Nevada and Fresno State are going to the MWC.

Not only would it be weak, it would be illegal at least as presently comprised. NCAA rules require that Division 1-A conferences have a minimum of 8 members.

On top of that, Hawai'i is a vulnerable link on at least two fronts:

1. Like BYU, Hawai'i has been exploring football independence.
2. These moves put the MWC at 10 teams. Given the MWC's ambitions, it's perfectly logical that they might take the next step and go to 12. If so, Hawai'i and Houston would appear to be the most likely targets.

To add insult to injury, if Houston were to go to the MWC, C-USA likely would target La Tech as a replacement for Houston.

The WAC will need to add at least 2-4 programs to remain a viable football conference. If they can't do that, I don't see that conference surviving.

Which, in turn, and going back to the beginning, may throw a bit of a monkey wrench into BYU's plans. The Big West and WCC still would be available, but both would be a step down from the WAC.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Houston only benefits going to the MWC should the MWC get a major conference bid. The MWC would LOVE to tap into the Houston market and those recruits, but it's really a lateral move for Houston with the exception of money.

Houston is pushing to uproot their shitty high school football stadium and replace it with a shiny new one that will seat 45000. Not only that, but they will give Hoffeinz Pavillion a much needed facelift. The AD and alums are staging a showcase for the Big XII to give them the invite. That is Houston's number 1 goal. TCU has no interest in joining the Big XII, so that leaves SMU to slide in there should their success stick to the wall. That is a reach of course, but Houston's continued success and promise of a legit college stadium will get them where they want.

If the MWC offered and invite tomorrow, then maybe Houston takes the plunge with a clause for a way out should Texas come knocking on their door.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

Rumps, you know none of us are ever going to get a invite to the same conference as Tejas or aTm. They don't need us or wants us. Those two along with Tech already own the Dallas and Houston makets. Now if Tejas, aTm and OU all leave the Big 12 for another conference that could open some doors for us. Personally I like what we've got in CUSA West I just wish we could add to it and get rid of the East schools.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Interesting quotes from Swarbrick and from BYU AD Tom Holmoe on the subject of independence:

Swarbrick:
"You've got to solve the non-football side of the equation," Swarbrick said, "but it can work. I don't know if there will be others but it wouldn't shock me because the landscape is so fluid."
Which probably explains why Texas ultimately gave up on independence. I don't think Texas could find a suitable option for sports other than football. Either C-USA or the MWC would have welcomed Texas sans football with open arms, but I think Texas was aiming higher than that.

Holmoe:
"Independence is an option that obviously has been out there. We will look at everything. We have looked at everything. There are pros and cons to the Pac-10, the Big Ten, the Big 12, the Mountain West Conference and independence. With all these things there are pros and cons.

"So what you have to do is you have to weigh those and measure them against what? What is right for BYU. And not for what is right for BYU in the year 2010, but what is right for BYU into the future.

"That is quite a bit more complex than most people understand. You have got a constituency to deal with. You have got a school to deal with."
Those advocating for ND to join a conference would be well-advised to remember that quote, particularly the last paragraph.

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2010/08/does ... e.html.php

Anyway, the more I think about this, the more I come to the conclusion that independence can work for BYU. They have an option for the non-football side of the equation. Even if the WAC implodes, the WCC would be available, and that might be an even better fit for BYU, given that all of the members of that conference are religiously-affiliated schools (7 Catholic, 1 Church of Christ).

As far as football scheduling, they should be able to schedule Army, Navy, Notre Dame, Utah and Utah State annually. That's five games right there. And if Hawai'i goes independent as well (which looks even more likely with the WAC pending implosion), that gives them a sixth game. If they play their cards right, they can schedule all of those games in the latter half of the season. Figure in a bye week, and that means that they wouldn't need to schedule any other opponents outside of this bloc for after October 12 in any event.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Even if the WAC implodes, the WCC would be available, and that might be an even better fit for BYU, given that all of the members of that conference are religiously-affiliated schools (7 Catholic, 1 Church of Christ).

Uhm... you know the WCC is D1AA, right?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Even if the WAC implodes, the WCC would be available, and that might be an even better fit for BYU, given that all of the members of that conference are religiously-affiliated schools (7 Catholic, 1 Church of Christ).

Uhm... you know the WCC is D1AA, right?
We're talking about the WCC for sports other than football for BYU. There is no 1-AA for those sports.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:The WAC will need to add at least 2-4 programs to remain a viable football conference. If they can't do that, I don't see that conference surviving.

I could easily see them going after Portland State (possibly the biggest D1AA school in the country, bigger school than Oregon or OS) and Montana.

Montana would probably be competitive within a few years, Portland State would have a looooong way to go, but could probably pull it off, despite their currently horrendous athletic department.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:The WAC will need to add at least 2-4 programs to remain a viable football conference. If they can't do that, I don't see that conference surviving.

I could easily see them going after Portland State (possibly the biggest D1AA school in the country, bigger school than Oregon or OS) and Montana.

Montana would probably be competitive within a few years, Portland State would have a looooong way to go, but could probably pull it off, despite their currently horrendous athletic department.
Maybe. I think North Texas would have to be at the top of the list. Right now that's about the only current 1-A football program west of the Mississippi that would be a viable option for the WAC.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Maybe. I think North Texas would have to be at the top of the list. Right now that's about the only current 1-A football program west of the Mississippi that would be a viable option for the WAC.
that's an interesting thought re: North Texas.....they've sucked out loud for the last 4-5 years but were reasonably competitive in the late 99's and early 00's under Daryl Dickey. they won the Sun Belt (?) a few times and played in the Liberty Bowl (I think). be sort of like the MWC acquiring TCU, in miniature. gives the WAC some Dallas metro area representation.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Maybe. I think North Texas would have to be at the top of the list. Right now that's about the only current 1-A football program west of the Mississippi that would be a viable option for the WAC.

Over the years, the WAC has shown a willingness to dip their toes into the 1AA pool.

And frankly, Montana would mop the floor with any of the bottom-feeding 1A teams, year in, year out.

Montana State usually fields a damn good 1AA team, as well... Portland State does not. Although PSU is trying to kick it up a notch... good luck with that. They can't put butts in the seats, even if they go on a 3 game winning streak (although I can't remember the last time that happened).

Since it's a pure speculation thread (funny how those pop up so often this time of year, when we're all ready to explode from Football Deprivation) -- if the WAC indeed loses members, and are serious about surviving, I would think they'd want to attack the Portland market with guns-a-blazin', since it's probably their largest potential media market (can't really see any Seattle-area school that's anywhere near ready to make the jump to 1A).

Montana doesn't have much of a media market, but what they do have are rabid Montana fans. When Montana makes the every-other-year trip to Portland, it's like a mini-Husker Nation descending on the city (the stadium is smack dab downtown). Only time there's any sort of real crowd in PGE Park -- sometimes as many as 5000 of them make the roadie (must be about 10-12 hours worth).

So I base my Portland State comments/speculations on the WAC's need for the media market and associated $$$, likely the largest one they're going to get, and the Montana comments because they're the most likely to be competitive out of the gate, and have an incredibly loyal fanbase that travels, and going D1A would likely expand the fanbase even further.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:Over the years, the WAC has shown a willingness to dip their toes into the 1AA pool.
Not exactly. Among current WAC membership, Boise State, Idaho, Louisiana Tech and Nevada all are former 1-AA programs. But all moved up to 1-A significantly in advance of joining the WAC.

Boise State moved up to 1-A in '96, joined the WAC in '01.
Idaho moved up to 1-A in '97, joined the WAC in '05.
Louisiana Tech moved up to 1-A in '89, joined the WAC in '01.
Nevada moved up to 1-A in '92, joined the WAC in '00.

What you're suggesting is something slightly different -- schools making the jump directly from the 1-AA level to the WAC.

Of course, to be fair, most of the current WAC membership came to the conference either from the Big West Conference (now defunct for football) or the Sun Belt Conference. Both of those conferences traditionally were regarded as a notch below the WAC, so the WAC wouldn't usually be the starting point for a new 1-A program. With the WAC standing to lose Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada, as well as (possibly) Hawai'i, Louisiana Tech and/or Utah State, it's probably not correct any longer to regard the WAC as a notch above the Sun Belt. At best, it's roughly on par with the Sun Belt, with the two conferences splitting up the country by geography. Newer 1-A programs in the eastern half of the country would join the Sun Belt, and newer 1-A programs in the western half of the country would join the WAC.

Another potential problem for the WAC is something txangler alluded to, and Lefty posted previously -- the possibility of a new SWC. If that ever gets off the ground, that probably takes Texas off the market for the WAC, and may take New Mexico State out of the conference as well.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Not exactly. Among current WAC membership, Boise State, Idaho, Louisiana Tech and Nevada all are former 1-AA programs. But all moved up to 1-A significantly in advance of joining the WAC.

I believe they went D1A in '99, joining the Big West...

I'm sure Felix can give us the details.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: Not exactly. Among current WAC membership, Boise State, Idaho, Louisiana Tech and Nevada all are former 1-AA programs. But all moved up to 1-A significantly in advance of joining the WAC.

I believe they went D1A in '99, joining the Big West...

I'm sure Felix can give us the details.
I got my information about Boise State here.

Of course, I have noticed a few errors on that site in the past, so maybe Felix would be a little more reliable.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Now the WAC is acting like a jilted lover and wants $5 mil from Fresno State and Nevada for a verbal agreement that was NEVER signed by Nevada.

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =204985102

Good luck collecting that in court.