Countdown to Camp

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Countdown to Camp

Post by poptart »

Less than two weeks away now for the Oakland Raiders.

Coaching
Tom Cable is a Davis' yes-man and that doesn't thrill me.
On the surface, he did a HORRIBLE job as offensive play-caller last season, but it's honestly a little hard to evaluate because the whole offensive operation was seriously dumbed down for JaWalrus.
But at any rate, enter Hue Jackson as O-Coordinator.
I'm cautiously optomistic that this will be a positive development.

Cable has been the head guy now for 1.5 years, and while the continuity (relatively) is a plus, I'd feel better if I thought he was truly head coach material and was REALLY running the show.
The players like him and Al likes him - so here we are.

Offense
Questions everywhere.

Exit JaWalrus, enter J. Campbell.
Should be an improvement and he looks to be a better fit in the Raider style as opposed to the quick read stuff he was involved with last year with Washington.
Deeper drops, work off of play action, throw the medium and deep ball more often, etc.
We'll see.

As I told Wagon in chat the other night, O-Line is a HUGE question mark for Oakland.
They drafted two promising O-Linemen in rds 3 and 4 this year, and that is good, but I don't think those guys will really be able to step in and help a WHOLE lot right now.
They've got to piece together a unit that can be SOLID, or the whole offense will have a hard time gettin' goin'.
Right now it looks like a lot of spares to me.
I'm skeered, frankly, and wish we could add a vet T and/or C.

Fargas is gone, so it's Bush and McFadden to share the load at RB.
More questions.

Receivers?
Young guys, some promise, but no experience to speak of.
But questions.
I'd like to add a vet here.

Defense
I've very optomistic about this group.
They've assembled some nice talent.
Rookies McClain and Houston should be fun to watch.
Seymour, Asomugha, Branch, Henderson, Kelly, and others ...
Lot of speed, lot of youth, lot of athleticism.
I could see a top 15 defense or better.
I've heard 3-4 chatter, but I can't see Al dropping his longtime favorite - "man up and beat your guy" philosophy.
If the offense can make some first downs for a change and keep this unit fresh, watch the fuck out, AFC nutshelves!!

Special Teams
Lechler and Jano are among the very best duos in the league, if not THE best.
But the coverage and return teams regressed last year from where they were in '08.
J.L. Higgins struggled badly after getting the snot knocked out of him in week one.
Never recovered.
We need better things from ST in '10.

We look improved over last year's 5 win team, so I'm hoping .500 (or better) is something that can be legitimately pushed for this year.

Just WIN, baby!
Bill Lumbergh
Jake

Re: Countdown to Camp

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

Because of their ability to run the ball, I really think the Raiders will win a weak West this year @ 9-7.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

4-12
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

L. Houston signed today.

All of Oakland's rooks are signed, save for R. McClain, who is expected to be inked before camp opens.

GO time!
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

2010 season = skeptical

The last time I was skeptical about this team was the summer of '05. My skeptisism turned out to be more than true when the Texans turned in a 2-14 season. They let Sharper and Foreman go. Glenn signed with someone else and they did nothing to bolster an already shaky o-line. Translation - a huge setback for a franchise that started gaining a little momentum.

Fast forward to 2010 and the team is S-L-O-W-L-Y moving in the right direction. Last year had so many what ifs attached to the next day headlines it left many fans more frustrated than you can imagine.

What if Chris Brown didn't fumble on the goal line against the Jags?

What if the Texans punched it in from the 1 yard line against the Cards?

What if Kris Brown hit the game tying field goals as time expired against Indy and Tennessee?

What if little Shanny didn't call that horrible halfback pass play on 1st and goal that led to an int?

All those ifs meant another season without a playoff appearance. It was a winning season though, so things are looking up, right?

Wrong. Defensive ROY Brian Cushing gets caught with his hand in the needle jar and "team" guy Andre Johnson is unhappy with his contract. We send Dunte Robinson packing and Owen Daniels is coming back from a torn ACL. Lots and lots of questions to be answered.

Let’s start with the defense.

Secondary - Dunte Robinson performed like shit at times last year, but was effective at others. He's gone because of his shit attitude when he was franchised. After turning in an average season, dude was happy to get the tag again, but the Texans were not biting. He's gone, so the Texans address a need in the first round of the draft. They pick Kareem Jackson. He is the safe pick, the guy who can make an immediate impact, but his upside has a smaller bar than other first round corners. Glover Quinn and Jaques Reeves are the starting corners while McCain and Jackson will be the nickels. Pollard is a freak at SS and hopefully he'll stay true to his form from a year ago. His run support is key while Cushing is out the first four games. The FS spot leaves Barber and Wilson who are both liabilities, but McCain was getting some snaps in at the position. Should Pollard go down, there is NOBODY to fill his position, so that is something to look forward to. The one question mark is Molden who runs a sub 4.4 and is 6-2 200lb corner. He was riddled with injuries his first two seasons and is supposedly healthy now, so he could add some depth if he proves himself this camp. If not, he could be gone. It’s something I really don’t want to think about but hope I am proven wrong in thinking the secondary is a huge liability.

Linebackers - No Cushing for 4 games leaves questions about the SAM position. You have to assume Cushing will come back for game 5 but won't be starter ready until game 6 or 7. I guess it all depends on his cycle and masking agents. So that really leaves 6 games of who can play the position at a respectable level. Adibi isn't really suited for the position but he'll have to split time with Danny Clark the first four games. Adibi can cover TEs and RBs with his speed, but gets knocked around in run support, so Clark will have to be the guy to help stop the run. It's going to be those two guys unless one of the rookies shows promise. We'll see.

D-Line - becoming a really solid and respectable group. Frank Bush's scheme took a little while for them to grasp, but they finally did midway through last season. Okoye keeps getting better, Smith was versatile last year playing inside and out, while Barwin improved at rushing the passer last season towards the end of the year. The depth is there with Bulman and Cody while rookie DT Earl Mitchell will push for some time. Super Mario had a subpar season according to his standards, but was plagued with shoulder problems all of last season, so look for him to bounce back with another double digit sack season. This group has depth and has taken a lot of snaps together so look for them to be better than last year.

Overall defense - Holding it together the first four games is what scares me. Cushing is a difference maker and hopefully will be the same player if not better without the roids. Quinn and Jackson have to play well and Pollard has to show me more than one good 11 game season that he is a legit SS. I'm very skeptical about secondary which leaves me wondering if the Texans are gonna have to score a lot of points this season in order to win.

O-line - the running game started to come together late last season. Arian Foster ran for over 200 yards the last two games and he was the Texans no. 3. Reliable guards Chester Pitts and Mike Brisiel both went down with season ending injuries in weeks 2 and 3 last season and it hurt the interior of the o-line in the mid part of the season. Studdard and Cladwell had to get baptism by fire and they struggled early, but were really good the last few games of the season. Brisiel is back and the Texans added some depth with veteran Wade Smith and rookie Shelley Smith. Chris Myers at center is only as good as the talent around him. I'm hopeful that Caldwell will slide over to his natural position at C and Brisiel, Studdard, White, and Smith pull G duties. I think it will make the line a lot better to get Myers out of there and have a solid C in Caldwell. Things appear to better this season between the tackles, but staying healthy will have to be the key. Tackles Winston and Brown are two of the better options at their positions in the league and it shouldn't be any different this year. Things are looking up on the o-line.

Running Backs - Steve Slaton is healthy and every Texan fan is hoping he visited Tiki Barber during the offseason to learn how to hold onto the fucking ball. Slaton cost us a couple of games early last season, so here is to him turning it around this season. Arian Foster was a bright spot at the end of last season with his consistent running between the tackles. Moats is not a every down back. He was just in the right place at the right time last season. Ben Tate is supposed to be that guy. Here's to hoping we have a solid RBBC option this season. Chris Henry and Jeremiah Johnson fill out the roster and maybe one them will breakthrough this camp and show promise. At least there is some depth here, so if Slaton or Tate goes down, it's not a huge loss in the backfield. The RB position looks to be a lot better this season, however, I've liked it if they took a chance on LT, Jones, or Parker during the offseason, but I'm okay with the youth movement. Texans got burned on Green, so I can understand their skittish way of thinking of bringing in an old guy.

Wide Recievers - AJ is talking shit about his contract, but dude will suit up and be the stud that he is every 7 days. He's just that kind of guy. Walter kind of disappeared at times last season, but was still productive. I think he was more hurt than led on at the beginning of the season and that was reason for his somewhat disappointing season. Jacoby Jones showed promise. The dude finally put his douchebag antics behind him and got serious about his career as an NFL wide receiver. He made plays as a wideout and started to really get involved with the offense late in the year with 4 and 5 catch games. He is the x-factor for that receiving core. If he can continue what he did last year to this season, then the sky is limit for this group. Jones' presence makes Johnson and Walter even better. We all know of his speed and return skills, but a polished route running wideout who can burn a trail outside the hashes makes for a very dangerous weapon. David Anderson is our little Wes Welker, obviously a very light version of Welker, but he is serviceable and smart. He can get open when needed and isn't afraid to go over the middle. Rookie late pick Trindon Holliday will make this team IMO which means Davis could get cut. Holliday offers more options for creative play calling for the offensive coordinator. Davis has disappointed from two seasons ago. All-in-all this is one of the better wide receiver corps in the league.

TEs - Owen Daniels may not be 100% until midway through the season. Oh he might play week 1 but the ACL injury will take some time for him to get back to pro bowl form. James Casey, Joel Dreessen, and Garret Graham are all more than capable of filling the position, but Daniels is a stud. Casey could become that guy, but not yet. The depth is there and all these options give Schaub more weapons to choose from.

QB – As it turns out, Matt Schaub is a premier QB when healthy. He finally showed us what he can do in a full season. In saying that, you are only as good as your backup QB. Dan Orlovsky and John David Booty both suck. The sex cannon is gone, so there is no viable backup at the position. It’s Matt Schaub or bust.

Offense – should be better than last if Schaub stays upright. They will put a lot of points on the board and make for great TV, but they need to score when it matters most and that is when the game is on the line.

Special Teams – Neil Rackers comes in to scare the shit out of Kris Brown or take the job outright. Hopefully, one of them learns how to make a fucking field goal. Holliday might take the KO return duties from Davis while Jones should still carry punt return duties. Special teams is still a strength of this team.

Overall – the team addressed its needs, but Cushing was such an impact player that the defense could take a step back. Hopefully not, but it’s likely that’ll happen. Maybe the offense can make up for that, I don’t know, but the schedule is tougher with the NFC East on the plate. Another 9-7 season sounds about right with another WC spot up for grabs on the last day of the season.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Cushing is out the first four games.
Oakland (week 4) approves of this message.

Very thorough preview, Rumps.

Bottom line - I see it similarly, with the Tejans being around the playoff hunt - as an upside forecast.
Debbie Downer says some things have potential to fall apart, though, and it's possible they could look up and see a 6-10 type season.

Strap it on and play the games.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Pops, I honestly can see anything between 5 and 11 wins for the Texans. A lot of games look like toss ups with their schedule.

As for the duhs, that o-line looks like a bad dream, man.

McFadden and Bush are good compliments if both can stay healthy, but they need a hole to hit if they are going to get off the ground.

Campbell learning a new playbook only looks worse IMO. He's had to learn a different playbook almost every season he's started. Dude just looks like he can't get comfortable in the pocket. His vision is terrible, but that could be a product of having to learn something new every season. I'm just not sold on the guy. I hope I'm wrong.

This team must rely on defense and ST to get them to .500. It's possible, but not probable.

The good news - they have the NFC West on the schedule. That seriously could be 4 wins, all jokes aside.

The bad news - they play the AFC South which equals 4 losses most likely.

It all depends on how they do in the division. That offense looks bad, really bad.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Bill Lumbergh wrote:Because of their ability to run the ball, I really think the Raiders will win a weak West this year @ 9-7.
Their "ability to run the ball" ranked 21st in the league, dipshit.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Campbell has to be solid and the O-Line has to become respectable, or the 'dud offense will once again flop and flail.
I think Campbell will do just fine - or more.
Not so sure about the O-Line.

Special teams have a chance to be real good.
Combine that with a *fingers crossed* REAL defense for a change, and Oakland might be able to keep games close.

... so that they can crater in the 4th.

Or something like that.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

R. McClain signed - as expected.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

mvscal wrote:Their "ability to run the ball" ranked 21st in the league, dipshit.
It's pretty tough to run the ball when your QB can't complete a pass and the opposing defense is free to stack the box.

You saw Russell play last year?

COMPLETE disaster as a QB.

In '08 Oakland was 10th in rushing.
In '07 they were 6th.

I'd look for them to be a "run first" sort of team with Campbell working often off of play action.

Completing some basic passes will do a lot to help out the running game.

Should happen.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

poptart wrote:
mvscal wrote:Their "ability to run the ball" ranked 21st in the league, dipshit.
It's pretty tough to run the ball when your QB can't complete a pass and the opposing defense is free to stack the box.

A shitty O line and overrated running backs make it kinda tough, too. I wouldn't put too much stock in Campbell if I were you. He sucked on a better team in DC and he isn't going to get any better in Oakland.

You will face the same situation again.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

poptart wrote:
The Redskin's RBs from last year would tend to agree.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

stuckinia wrote:
poptart wrote:
The Redskin's RBs from last year would tend to agree.
You were more than a decent QB away from being able to run the ball. Your team was absolute horseshit at every position.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

DallasFanatic wrote:You were more than a decent QB away from being able to run the ball. Your team was absolute horseshit at every position.
Not really. The Skins had a decent punter and long snapper. So there.

That still doesn't change the fact that Campbell is trash.
Bill Lumbergh
Jake

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

mvscal wrote:
Bill Lumbergh wrote:Because of their ability to run the ball, I really think the Raiders will win a weak West this year @ 9-7.
Not this year, glans-gobbler.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Haynesworth is a piece of crap. Dude couldn't even finish his conditioning test.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... id=5420094

Not sure if this was done as a ploy to be traded, but he is definitely going to lose, if not already lost, the respect of the players. I guess the only working out he was doing on his own was 12-ounce curls and a steady diet of cheeseburgers.

Good luck foreskin fan.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Bill Lumbergh wrote:
mvscal wrote:
Not this year, glans-gobbler.
They will be even worse this year, tard.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

DallasFanatic wrote:Haynesworth is a piece of crap. Dude couldn't even finish his conditioning test.

Not sure if this was done as a ploy to be traded, but he is definitely going to lose, if not already lost, the respect of the players. I guess the only working out he was doing on his own was 12-ounce curls and a steady diet of cheeseburgers.

Good luck foreskin fan.
Of course, the Girls fans are all excited. He came into camp 30 pounds lighter than last season's playing weight. Do you think the coaching staff was just gonna go "Well, Albert, you're in perfect shape. Join the regular squad like you worked out with the team all season." Idiot. This is the coaching staff's way of punishing him for his summer behavior.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Bill Lumbergh
Jake

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

mvscal wrote: They will be even worse this year, tard.
Care to make a wager on that, buttplug?
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
DallasFanatic wrote:Haynesworth is a piece of crap. Dude couldn't even finish his conditioning test.

Good luck foreskin fan.
Of course, the Girls fans are all excited. He came into camp 30 pounds lighter than last season's playing weight. Do you think the coaching staff was just gonna go "Well, Albert, you're in perfect shape. Join the regular squad like you worked out with the team all season." Idiot. This is the coaching staff's way of punishing him for his summer behavior.
^^^^^^

Obviously never played football. Just the locker room jizz mopper. Dude, the conditioning test is pretty straight forward. You make it in time, you practice...period. You have a players union ready to pounce on an organization saying otherwise. Now if the coaching staff wanted to punish him, he could've passed the conditioning test and then had him practice with the third stringers. But no, this was about Albert quitting in hopes of getting a trade. Prick move on his part. You keep acting like the batterd housewife Screwy, and protect Fat Albert. Enjoy another year of the cellar foreskin fan.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Attention: Fantasy dorkwads/Dungeons and Dragons goofs

Don't say your fliend poptart never did anything for you.

Want a sleeper?
A "low cost" guy who might bring a nice return?

Of course you do.

Oakland Raider WR Darrius Heyward Bey

By all accounts, the guy has worked his @ss off, is bigger, and is -----> catching the ball.

I've heard only positive about him the last few months and as camp has opened, "Wow, is this the same guy?" has been the near universal reaction.

Henry Wofford of Comcast Sports Net - just one example - "Unbelievable how much Darrius Heyward Bey has improved since last season. Wow! Couldn't believe my eyes today."

There's yer bone, fantasy fruitcakes.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

How bad does it hurt Fat Albert?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5442131

This one single cancer is going to ruin the rat.

:lol:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Damn...and I was so pissed the Titans let him get away. That was a blessing in disguise.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

DallasFanatic wrote:How bad does it hurt Fat Albert?

Not really. He won't be on the Week 1 roster.

Enjoy your 8-8 season, Girl fan.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
DallasFanatic wrote:How bad does it hurt Fat Albert?

Not really. He won't be on the Week 1 roster.

Enjoy your 8-8 season, Girl fan.
Bitter gloryhole jizz mopping whore predicts what?

:lol: x infinity

Week 1 can't get here soon enough.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

First preseason game observations for the Boys.

Offensive starters looked good. Free held his own against the Bengals starting defense which was encouraging. Barber looked quick and had a pep to his step, but I am not sure it warrants him being the starting tailback for the Boys this year. Jones looked like he has bulked up this offseason and was actually dropping the shoulder and delivering a little punishment to the bengal tacklers.

The backups on offense looked like horseshit and that's a concern. The offensive line in particular looked like crap. Brewster and McQuistan can be shown the door today after that performance. I know McGee isn't Joe Montana, but the OL playing like the Raiders is no excuse. Let's hope the starting offensive linemen stay healthy or the Boys season will be up in flames.

The entire defense, both starters and backups played well. Very encouraging to know you roll 8 deep in the linebacking position. The secondary was agressive and had a couple near interceptions. The fact the Boys got 3 interceptions was shocking to see and I hope thats a sign of things to come this year. Getting turnovers and having a short field once in a while is back-breaking for opposing defenses and a key component to doing well come playoff time.

Special teams was okay. Buehler made his chippies but shanked his 49-yarder. I'm not even sure it stayed within the confines of my wide screen television. They gave that long punt return to Shipley which blew the shutout, so I imagine DeCamillis was one pissed off Mofo going home.

Plenty to clean up on but thats to be expected.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

v. Dullass --

Oakland looked dynamite on defense.

Oakland looked like @ss warmed-over on offense.

Sort of what I expected.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Second preseason game observations for the Boys. Not much to change from previous post.

Offensive starters looked okay. Free held his own against the Raiders starting defense which was encouraging. Barber looked okay, but I am not sure it warrants him being the starting tailback for the Boys this year. Jones looked like he has bulked up this offseason and was actually dropping the shoulder and delivering a little punishment to the raider tacklers. The O-line had a couple goofs but the sacks were coverage sacks which echo's statement that their defense looked good.

The backups on offense looked like horseshit and that's a concern. The offensive line in particular looked like crap. Brewster and McQuistan can be shown the door today after that performance. I know McGee isn't Joe Montana, but the OL playing like the Raiders is no excuse. Let's hope the starting offensive linemen stay healthy or the Boys season will be up in flames.

The entire starting defense and backup linebackers played well. Very encouraging to know you roll 8 deep in the linebacking position. The secondary was agressive and had a couple near interceptions. The third stringers blew cack, and some are going to need to step up if they plan on making this ball club.

Special teams was okay. Buehler made his chippies and bombed touchbacks with ease.

Plenty to clean up on but thats to be expected.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Boys starting right tackle and left guard are done for a few weeks. Sure hope they rehab quickly or the Boys will be off to a rough start come the regular season.

Crap, gimme the booze now. I can't stand preseason.