Don't make fun of me...

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Don't make fun of me...

Post by patsy stone »

...but does anyone else here listen to trance/house music? I need more! I've been out of the loop lately. I'm a huge fan of old-school Kimball Collins, Paul Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk, Sasha & Digweed, etc. I have also been downloading singles here and there that I find through Google.

But what I'm looking for are newer songs that give you goosebumps. Like the ambient ones with the chilling female vocals and impressive melodies. Does that sound gay? :)

Seriously...can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? I've been in the mood for trance lately.

(Next week I'll be in the mood for Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies, the next week I'll be in the mood for Rush, the next week I'll be in the mood for Elton John and the next I'll be listening to Death Cab For Cutie, etc....so don't think I'm a total LSD-addicted* poser that dances around with glowsticks!)

TIA!

*Do you get addicted to LSD? I know NOTHING about drugs.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Do you like drum and bass? The new Amon Tobin is excellent. I know practically nothing about electronic music, but I do know just about anything on Ninja Tune is worth getting.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Awsome. I'll check it oot.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

erm,fancy some Roni Size and Reprazent?
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Re: Don't make fun of me...

Post by RadioFan »

Patsy Stone wrote:...but does anyone else here listen to trance/house music?
Not sure what that means. Color me a dork, but I've just never heard the term before. If you mean "Hearts of Space" or "ambient," I get it. Of course, us geezers, living on way old-school Judas Priest and AC/DC have no clue. :wink:
PrimeX
Koko B1

Re: Don't make fun of me...

Post by PrimeX »

Patsy Stone wrote:Like the ambient ones with the chilling female vocals and impressive melodies. Does that sound gay? :)
wHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

patsy:check out this show online
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance/blueroom/index.shtml
quality chillout(ambient) stuff-imo
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Are the Chemical Brothers still aorund? I have "Dig your Own Hole". and I liked it alot.

How bout Lords of Acid??
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's a few pretty decent mp3s.

The first few are a year or two old, but still hold up well.

!!! - When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Karazzee.mp3
Armand Van Helden Feat. La Rok - Let Me Lead You.mp3
Basement Jaxx - Good Luck (Feat Lisa Kekaula).mp3

These three are new. I haven't listened to much of the Out Hud, but it's been recommended to me by those in the know.

Amon Tobin - El Cargo.mp3
Daft Punk - Robot Rock.mp3
Out Hud - Dear Mr. Bush, There Are Over 100 Words For Shit And Only 1 For Music. Fuck You, Out Hud.mp3

Since ambient has been mentioned I thought I'd add one gem from the new Robert Fripp/Brian Eno colaboration.

Robert Fripp & Brian Eno - Meissa.mp3

I won't keep them up for long because they're going to kill my bandwidth, so do grab them while you can.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

You need to get a hold of CD's by these outfits
Ministry of Sound
Gatecrasher
Budda bar
Head Candy
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Donovan, got all those songs. Already had that !!! song downloaded (and others by them). Thanks!

MissJo, will download stuff by them tonight. I've heard of Ministry of Sound and Gatecrasher.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

What?!? Nobody has mentioned The Crystal Method yet??? FANTASTIC techno music. I usually call it intelligent techno... meaning they can change up the songs every 8 count and don't spend 10 minutes playing the same damn beat over and over and over again.

I've really been into the trance/dance area for awhile. But I have a hard time finding stuff I like and that is not so repetitive. Here are some of my favs:

The Crystal Method
Lords of Acid
Astral Projection
Eat Static
Delerium (remixed dance album - fucking phenominal female voice in "Heaven's Earth - Matt Darey Mix" - gives me chills almost everytime)
Kosheen
BT
Chemical Brothers
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

gotta go with Head Kandi-solid mixes imo
racks for BT,Delerium and Kosheen.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Patsy If you want something a little different try mo horizons
I have their album "Remember tomorrow" which I adore
& their new one "mo' horizons - and the new bohemian freedom" is brilliant as well
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Billdong
Elwood

Post by Billdong »

My personal favorite album is

Theivery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Too many racks to be passed around in this thread.....i'll start with Patsy for making me blow the dust off my old stuff again. Katmode and Missjo get one for thier additions.

I have alot of compilation CD's like NY/LA underground, and alot of obscure mixes that have past big hit songs remixed with a phat techno beat.

As far as what is on amazon or widely available, I would have no idea right now.

Thats one thing I miss about europe......MTV always played techo/underground video's consistently from different badass artists. They consistently dominate the top 10 over there.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You guys listen to that when a megadose of E isn't involved?

Ponderous.

If I ain't at a rave(sup too old for that anymore), I ain't down with the techno. And I can't figure out why anyone else would be.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote: (sup too old for that anymore)
Just nailed it.

A lot of that music from past years is tied heavily to memories for me, for that reason alone I will always have a spot for it in my punker heart.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Don't get me wrong -- after buying a handful of Mystery Pills from that one rasta guy, techno sounds kinda OK. And it sure seems to get the hottie little glittered-up skanks a-groovin. I just couldn't see anyone wanting to hear it when their brain was working at full capacity.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

the irony is that i never did any kind of drug when going to a rave.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Found some songs that sound like what I'm looking for:

"Faith (Loafer Mix)" - Starecase
"Beautiful Things (Gabriel and Dresden Remix)" - Andain
"Beautiful" - Matt Darey Feat. Marcella Woods
"Never Look Back" - Dumonde

P.S. - I've never done drugs in my life — except for smoking pot twice. And I still love this stuff!

P.P.S. - Don't reply to this thread* until Tuesday. I'll be in the Bahamas.

*Rack my trance thread.†

†I love adding disclosures.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

i still get more fun from listening to electro/ techno/ house/trance/club stuff now and i'm getting up there agewise.

the zero 7 albums are very deece.
CroMag
Elwood

Post by CroMag »

Patsy, check out Ulrich Schnauss, sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Not for the kids really, just really smooth trance.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

CroMag wrote:Patsy, check out Ulrich Schnauss, sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Not for the kids really, just really smooth trance.
Rack the Ulrich Schnauss. Just got his newest album A Strangely Isolated Place and it has more female vocal in it than his last album. Speaking of which, I must bitch about that. His other album Far Away Trains Passing By I've tried to order TWICE - with no goddamn luck. First time Amazon.com told me they couldn't get it. Then Amazon.ca fucked up something with their shipping system and couldn't mail it out. So fuck the North American companies that for some reason can't get me this album. Amazon.de is the next place - sometimes the only place to order the really cool, non mainstream music I like.

Not sure if I would consider US trance though... more like downtempo or New Age.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

KatMode wrote:
CroMag wrote:Patsy, check out Ulrich Schnauss, sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Not for the kids really, just really smooth trance.
Rack the Ulrich Schnauss. Just got his newest album A Strangely Isolated Place and it has more female vocal in it than his last album. Speaking of which, I must bitch about that. His other album Far Away Trains Passing By I've tried to order TWICE - with no goddamn luck. First time Amazon.com told me they couldn't get it. Then Amazon.ca fucked up something with their shipping system and couldn't mail it out. So fuck the North American companies that for some reason can't get me this album. Amazon.de is the next place - sometimes the only place to order the really cool, non mainstream music I like.

Not sure if I would consider US trance though... more like downtempo or New Age.
it's downtempo-imo