Most embarassing concert you have ever seen

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Most embarassing concert you have ever seen

Post by BSmack »

What concert does it pain you to admit having seen?

For me it is easy. 6 years ago a g/f of mine dragged me to the 98WPXY "Summer Jam" at the Frontier Field baseball stadium. Now I can say I have seen 98 Degrees, Shaggy, Jordan Knight, some other New Kid who's name I can't remember and a couple of other equaly worthless and forgettable scubs perform. Even worse, we got into an argument later that night and I didn't even get laid that night.

Easily the worst concert I have ever seen.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

1985, York Fairgrounds, Pennsylvania State Fair.

The Go-Gos.
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

KUTTER wrote:The Go-Gos.
Go-Gos are deece.

I once saw Debbie Gibson. Seriously, a friend had a ticket and he needed someone to go with him. Later, that friend's musical knowledge would prove very formative to Mr. Felice, but at that time he wasn't doing me any favors.
why is my neighborhood on fire
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

the texas tornados :oops:
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

I typed a whole lotta shit here because unfortunately I grew up in the eighties and witnessed my fair share of shit-on-a-stage, but then I went OH SNAP! and deleted it all. Ain't no way I'm giving you homo's anymore material.

Fuck that.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

PrimeX wrote:I typed a whole lotta shit here because unfortunately I grew up in the eighties and witnessed my fair share of shit-on-a-stage, but then I went OH SNAP! and deleted it all. Ain't no way I'm giving you homo's anymore material.

Fuck that.
rack.
I saw Morrissey once. Wasn't embarrassed* at all until the backdrop for the concert turned out to be of a man, from within the pool, leaning over the edge. Another man had seemingly just popped out of the water directly behind him. Then things felt a little weird.

*one of those word I always misspell
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

Bizzarofelice wrote:rack.
I saw Morrissey once. Wasn't embarrassed* at all until the backdrop for the concert turned out to be of a man, from within the pool, leaning over the edge. Another man had seemingly just popped out of the water directly behind him. Then things felt a little weird.

*one of those word I always misspell
I saw him on that tour, too. Gay. Gay. Fucking gay. But here's some good news: I managed to catch "M is for Manchester" (or something close to that) on HDNet a week or so ago and it certainly looks like MoZ has unfaggoted his show quite a bit this time around. Now it's back to the "oh-woe-is-me" mope-rock that we all know and dig.

Worst show that I ever saw was Duran Duran in '99. The only two original members still in the band were Simon and Nick. The music was a'ight, but watching a slightly husky LeBon attempting to prance around the stage like it was '87 was kind of embarrassing. The highlight of the night was my wife (then my girlfriend) kicking some drunk bitches ass after she stumbled into us about three too many times. Rack my ass kicking she bitch.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Aerosmith in Pensacola last year :(. Recorded guitar riffs, horrible sound, the wroks on how to fuck up a show basically. I felt even worse for my wife who was ready to cry over it.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Post by battery chucka' one »

Yngwie Malmsteen at a club here in town. Had Mike Vescera singing. The Y man was unleashing the fury and about 200 extra pounds. Was about 100 peeps there. He threw out about 500 guitar picks. We all got one or four. Walked out of the show halfway through. The funny thing was that his singer was the biggest dick of the evening. Y man was actually quire cordial on stage, but then, I think it's his singer's job to be the dickhead for him on stage. Off stage, the fat man can handle it himself.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Taylor Dayne when I was a youngun'...

But it was FREE! Don't know if that makes it better?
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Patsy Stone wrote:Taylor Dayne when I was a youngun'...

But it was FREE! Don't know if that makes it better?
i wanna dry hump you. actually, what I meant t say is I've always hated taylor dayne. even when I wasn't a person with great didain for anything, I hated taylor dayne. its weird my dislike for her. its kinda like my hatred of that horse-faced lady who was on the show with Cybill sheperd. Not Agnes Depesto, Cybill's recent show.

I wanna dry hump herbert viola.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

ElvisMonster wrote:Now it's back to the "oh-woe-is-me" mope-rock that we all know and dig.
Word. His old-school "oh-woe-is-me" mope-rock is kick ASS. War Meat is Murder.

My most embarrassing show was Quiet Riot in 1982. Only it didn't really count. My buds and I were there to see Queensryche, which opened for them and some other band (Nazareth, maybe). Queensryche blew the doors off the old HemisFair Arena in San Antonio, we got baked, then walked out of the show before Quiet Riot came on. Rack us for missing that POS band and avoiding future embarrassing stories on the Internet.

Oh, and rack your ass kicking she bitch. She and my gf would be pals and stuff in the real world, betcha.
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

RF, I think you meant 1992, not 82.
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Metallica in late 91 or early 92 - touring in support of the Black album. Fuckin' sellouts. I don't know what I was thinking - I'd already bought and hated the album.

At least I was wearing my Megadeth shirt...
"Keys, woman!"
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Not Agnes Depesto,
LMAO! Agnes Depesto!!! RACK YOU for reminding me of her. Moonlighting was my life back when it was on TV!
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

the first Club MTV Live in 1988/Detroit featuring Paula Abdul(doable at that time) but it was a lip-synch extravaganza. but hell you can't go wrong with girls with sky high hair and dayglo dresses.
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

KUTTER wrote:RF, I think you meant 1992, not 82.
Nope ... was off by just a year. It was Sept. 17, 1983. Still have my ticket stub, being the packrat I am. Queensryche had only their self-titled EP out ... got to see Geoff Tate with weird eye make-up scream "The Lady war Blaaaaaaaaack!" I racked the fuck out of it.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i hate to say this but the WORST i ever felt at a show was seeing Sonny Rollins. i dropped a chunk to get sweet seats to see this former jazz legend (to keep the theme up) on Valentine's Day with the gf at the University of Colorado's fantastic venue: Macky Auditorium. the guy influenced Coltrane, for chissakes!.

and it was embarrasing to be there. He was really bad. he was trying to do some hip-hop/jazz thing that was admirable, but just came across lame as hell. old guy, in a sleeveless turquoise t-shirt and shades...trying too hard. God Bless you sonny. but you sucked that night.

a real disappointment.

two surprises: a friend of mine dragged me to see a YES reunion tour (with all the members ever on a rotating stage) in Denver...and i was dreading 45 minute drum solos and Derek Smalls type "jazz odyssey" stuff....but it was fucking great. they rocked....even though they were wearing capes and all that prog stuff doesn't really fit middle age guys like elves. I always sort of liked some their songs and had Yessongs and Fragile on vinyl, but it wasn't the live scene where i was at.

INXS: in 1986, Listen Like Theives Tour. went with my junior high gf. i was not into it from the onset, but it was a damn good live show. they sounded really good live. and i respect a band, especially a radio/video band that can *do it* (play their own songs) live and make it good..
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote:
KUTTER wrote:RF, I think you meant 1992, not 82.
Nope ... was off by just a year.
You mean Queensryche did something before Empire?

Sin,
People who listen to what the record companies force-feed them

I'm pretty sure QR was headlining shows by 1992, since they were the #1 band in the land at that point. Their days of being an opening act were LONG behind them by that point.

There is no escape
It's the ending of your precious life
Your soul slipped away
It belongs to the Queen of the Reich

^^Bought that sucker when it came out, being the good U&Ler I am. If memory serves me right(rare), Prophecy wasn't on the original vinyl/cassette release.

Yes, kiddies, back in 83, there were no CDs.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Question for EM. Were you wearing your wife's clothes at those concerts?
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dinsdale wrote:You mean Queensryche did something before Empire?

Sin,
People who listen to what the record companies force-feed them

I'm pretty sure QR was headlining shows by 1992, since they were the #1 band in the land at that point. Their days of being an opening act were LONG behind them by that point.

There is no escape
It's the ending of your precious life
Your soul slipped away
It belongs to the Queen of the Reich

^^Bought that sucker when it came out, being the good U&Ler I am. If memory serves me right(rare), Prophecy wasn't on the original vinyl/cassette release.

Yes, kiddies, back in 83, there were no CDs.
Rack.

I bought that EP as well, and it was their first. When I saw them, they did all 5 or so songs on it, and one additional, if my memory of baked times serves. All the Mexicans in San Antonio were blown away by them, and those dudes normally knew their kick-ass rock, as San Antonio was home to legendary D.J., Joe Anthony at 99.5 KISS, who's on the credits of early albums of numerous bands that turned out to be huge later (Hagar, Rush, Nugent ... tons of others). That station played a bit of the Queensryche EP, but not nearly enough.

Damn Dins, now I need to hear it loud on headphones, it's been ages ... and I haven't replaced it on CD. FUCK. I may have to have a few shots, and play drunken temporary shelf setter-upper next to my stereo shit.

Sorry all, this RF-Dins nostalgic moment brought to you by the letters U&L and SA.

Carry on.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

BoyzIIMen 1994. It was me,my friend Ted,and everyone else was either black,or a teenybopper. Im still ashamed I went
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Believe the Heupel wrote:
Warrant
Have seen them three times in Lincoln clubs, all in the early-mid 90's. First time was original lineup at the Grove. Blew the roof off the place. Excellent show. Next time was at Guitars. Two new members (kingdom clone castoffs). Still excellent, even with the 9 foot high stage. The third time was on their B2B tour at the Hurricane (think it was renamed at that time). Jani was fat. They played mostly newer songs like Vertigo. It sucked beyond belief. Left the show early. Am glad I didn't have to be there to see the whole thing.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Metallica in late 91 or early 92 - touring in support of the Black album. Fuckin' sellouts. I don't know what I was thinking - I'd already bought and hated the album.

Was that the one where you were chanting 'DAVE, DAVE, DAVE, DAVE' at the big screen? Just askin'. :lol:
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

battery chucka' one wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Metallica in late 91 or early 92 - touring in support of the Black album. Fuckin' sellouts. I don't know what I was thinking - I'd already bought and hated the album.

Was that the one where you were chanting 'DAVE, DAVE, DAVE, DAVE' at the big screen? Just askin'. :lol:
Yep. Those fuckin' egomaniacs didn't even have an opening band. They just had a 30 minute video montage of the "history of Metallica" or some gay shit like that. My friend and I were both wearing Megadeth shirts and managed to get a pretty good "Dave!" chant going. When they finally showed an old pic of the band with Mustaine, it got a decent ovation. It was probably the highlight of the show for me.

The low point was probably when they condensed a handful of songs from Kill 'Em All into a medley. A fucking medley! That's pretty much a perfect "10" on the shark-jumping scale.
"Keys, woman!"
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Boston

Cleveland, OH July 2004, cost $20 (a couple had an extra ticket, sold it to me for $15 off the face value)

Horrible sound, I've seen more energy put into a concert by the LA Philharmonic. Way too many post "Third Stage" songs, the female guitarist was a joke and had a HORRIBLE voice. Most telling sign, half the crowd (including me) had left before they even got to the encore. A concert should be fun, not a test of the crowd's patience.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

King Crimson wrote:i hate to say this but the WORST i ever felt at a show was seeing Sonny Rollins. i dropped a chunk to get sweet seats to see this former jazz legend (to keep the theme up) on Valentine's Day with the gf at the University of Colorado's fantastic venue: Macky Auditorium. the guy influenced Coltrane, for chissakes!.

and it was embarrasing to be there. He was really bad. he was trying to do some hip-hop/jazz thing that was admirable, but just came across lame as hell. old guy, in a sleeveless turquoise t-shirt and shades...trying too hard. God Bless you sonny. but you sucked that night.

a real disappointment.

two surprises: a friend of mine dragged me to see a YES reunion tour (with all the members ever on a rotating stage) in Denver...and i was dreading 45 minute drum solos and Derek Smalls type "jazz odyssey" stuff....but it was fucking great. they rocked....even though they were wearing capes and all that prog stuff doesn't really fit middle age guys like elves. I always sort of liked some their songs and had Yessongs and Fragile on vinyl, but it wasn't the live scene where i was at.

INXS: in 1986, Listen Like Theives Tour. went with my junior high gf. i was not into it from the onset, but it was a damn good live show. they sounded really good live. and i respect a band, especially a radio/video band that can *do it* (play their own songs) live and make it good..
saw em in 1985 at the salt palace in the 'boat show' room...was kinda kool cause there was no seating and most everybody danced plus my galpal at the time (who wouldn't go with me to see rush power windows show a month before) was all over me like hair on a gorilla
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

mothster wrote:saw em in 1985 at the salt palace in the 'boat show' room...was kinda kool cause there was no seating and most everybody danced plus my galpal at the time (who wouldn't go with me to see rush power windows show a month before) was all over me like hair on a gorilla
I saw the Power Windows show in Rochester. Thanks to the hyper obsessive Rush fans online, I now know it was on December 10, 1985.

Here's the setlist.

Intro (Three Stooges theme)
The Spirit of Radio
Limelight
The Big Money
New World Man
Subdivisions
Manhattan Project
Middletown Dreams
Witch Hunt
Red Sector A
Closer to the Heart
Marathon
The Trees
Mystic Rhythms
Distant Early Warning
Territories
YYZ
Drum Solo
Red Lenses
Encore: Tom Sawyer
2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx)
Grand Designs
In the Mood

It was easily one of the 5 worst shows I've ever seen. 2/3 of the way through the show I was damn near asleep in my chair. My g/f at the time was exqualy bored until they played Tom Sawyer. I was pretty stoked too, because I figured the show would be over after Tom Sawyer. But no, they went and decided the night wouldn't be complete without another 30 minutes of prog rock hell.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Took the wife to Elton John - bad move

Worst one I saw on my own accord was Aerosmith.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Yes..with John Anderson

Sometime in the late 70's. 3 of us lived in this huge house, where we partied and practiced, and one of the dudes had this chick who would not fuck him if anybody was home.

So he gave me and the other guy 2 tickets and a few bad joints to get us out of the house.

John Anderson came out in a flowing white robe and danced around and sang soprano like the faggot he is. He fucking sucked and so did the band. Yes was a stretch for me in those days any way, since southern / biker rock was our thing at the time.

We smoked all the dope and drank some whiskey, but a decent buzz could not make that show good. We left and hit some of the rock clubs the rest of the night. Our room mate was elated we left, he fucked this chick in the ass and she screamed long and loud... he said.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

This one is easy...

1991 or 92...

Michael Bolton at the Cajundome. My parents had two tickets but had to go out of town unexpectedly. I called my buddy and asked him if he wanted to get shitfaced and hit up the concert. There wasn't anything better to do on a Thursday night in a shit hole town when I was a senior in high school. I got so fucked up that night that I almost fell off the balcony of the arena. All I remember from the show was a bunch of chicks bringing roses up to the stage every few minutes. I was at the beer booth 85% of the time. Don't remember much.
sparks19
Crack Whore

Post by sparks19 »

Well I think i have just about everyone beat :D except for maybe michael bolton lol. I went to see the Backstreet boys. TWICE lol. I was 15 so it wasn't embarrassing then but now that im an adult it seems a little silly haha

not to mention i had my jeans and shirt all painted up with backstreet boy stuff HAHAHAHA
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

the monkees/1986
sorry about that whammy!
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Weird Al Yankovic - Hall County Fair, Grand Island, NE - The Dare to Be Stupid Tour

Both shows (hey, it was included in that day's ticket)

He was actually pretty good, but it's still embarrasing to admit. Funniest joke of the night. His bus was "The Stupid Bus" on the front of it.