DSL Modems

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Eversor
Crack Whore

Post by Eversor »

If you already have a router why are you considering a DSL modem with a firewall built in? Your router is going to provide the same amount of security that the firewall in the DSL modem does due to the fact that your router is basically a firewall already.

Who is your DSL provider? Bellsouth is ours down here and we can only use certified modems (i.e. theirs) on their network. BUt you might have a providor that lets you use whatever modem you want (if so your a lucky bastard).

Only you can prevent forum fires.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I have to tell you that the 2wire thing sounds like a lot of market speak. 3 antennas? Right because putting 30 antennas in the same place clearly makes it more powerful. There is a reason that companies use 2 antennas and its that you can turn one horizontal and one vertical to the ground so you can get better service in multi-flored homes. As far as the maximum power output, if you compare yourself to shit then you might come out looking great, but you might still suck compared to good companies like Cisco.

The point is, it sounds like it has all the standards, but I don't understand your need to upgrade when you already have a Linksys WAP54G router. Are you actually having problems with the linksys? If so, maybe just consider a D-link or look for a Cisco on ebay. In Terms of security, your linksys offers WPA so you should be relatively good to go for your home network if you set it up right. If you have coverage problems, look into a more powerful antenna or a 2nd access point. I have a Wireless-G range extender sitting next to me in fact. It acts as a repeater so you don't need to run any cables.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I agree with ET...if you're not getting hit with stuff now, you're probably good with the current setup. Your modem itself is from your provider, right? From there, your router is what provides the security, and in all likelihood, you're well covered.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Yes, but he who dies with the best stuff wins. ;)
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.