Question

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mook
Elwood

Question

Post by Mook »

Alright first and foremost that loss to Northern Iowa sucked balls. Lots went wrong and I don't want to get into it hear. Not sure whether or not I posted it on here but that second round tournament game had me concerned since January. The things that brought Kansas down were readily apparent all year. No real interest in playing "lesser" teams, poor defense on the three point line and a coach unwilling to press all 94'. Oh well, such is life......not like I haven't been down this road before with UTEP, Rhode Island, Virginia, Bucknell, Bradley........either this list is getting too long or I'm getting too old, sadly I think both are true :doh:

On to my question.......why is it fans of schools take so much delight in the misfortune of their rivals? After Kansas loses, I get no good feelings if Kansas State or Missouri get beat. I have a couple of very good friends who are Missouri fans who delight in Kansas' failure......they are PURCHASING Northern Iowa t-shirts?!?! They both said they were happier Kansas lost than if Missouri would have won. I don't understand this. Sure it's fun to needle your friends and make a couple of jokes.......but spending money and energy wishing negativity. It doesn't make anything better. After Kansas loses, I don't understand the Kansas fans who say they really wish KSU/Mizzou or whoever now get defeated. What the hell difference does it make? Does that make our defeat less bad? Simply bizarre. I care no more or less about rival schools now than I did before. Typically I'll pull for Big 12 schools and genuinely hope Kansas State and Baylor have great showings in this tournament. This isn't about Kansas, Mizzou or Kansas State supporters either. It's a genuine question. Why is it some people enjoy other's misery more than their own succes?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Re: Question

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Dunno why some do that, Mook, but I have to say that I'm pretty much the polar opposite of that. Come tournament time, I root hard for all of the Big East teams. In fact, if anything, I'm too much of a Big East homer in the tournament -- my bracket had the Big East 16-0 at this point. :doh: :oops:

Of course, ND is a relative newcomer to the Big East, and its most significant conference rivals in basketball -- DePaul and Marquette -- are even newer to the conference. There is such a thing as kicking someone when he's down, and it's never a classy move. Taking delight in DePaul losses right now would be the equivalent of that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Little brother syndrome. As a Badger fan, I noted similar sentiments to be found in Marquette fan (in the Question for Big XII fans thread). Relax, Mook. Nobody hates on a shitty program.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Goober McTuber wrote:Little brother syndrome.
DING DING DING!

A&M is little brother to t.u. Always have been and probably always will be. I don't scream from the mountain top when t.u. loses, but I never root for them to win and surely have a little wry grin at any unfortune that comes their way. That being said, I would love for some day to be the hated one. If you are hated by many, most likely, you're on top. Not a bad place to be in the sports world. I would relish it, not loathe it.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I only really dance on one school's grave -- UDub.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Tuck Fexas... My hatred for them really runs more deep than most Sooners having grown up on and off most of my life there and in Asstin especially. Many of my friends who I have stayed in contact with from those days are huge fans or attended Texas. I have had to temper my enthusiasm for the bad things that happen to them publicly here as of late though which has been difficult. I've been casually seeing a Texas Grad for the last few months... makes for awkward sports times.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Goobs is all over it--------------> "Nobody hates on a shitty program." Hmmm......I know a little about this being a Duke fan. Americans only tolerate so much winning, then they turn on you. And it gets ugly. Everyone piles on and it becomes fashionable. I guess making it to 60 Final Fours in the last 12 years or so will do that. It's almost fun to sit back and watch the ninnies scream and whine about Duke. Don't even think about fair criticisms. Pffft. It's amazing the bs that the haters come up with. I don't even look at the commentary on espn boards anymore. Just too stupid. I know.....like I expect some rationality on there!

So don't worry, Mook. If your hated, that means you're probably winning. ....can't have that! But the Jayhawks will be back. You got a good coach, good history, and the place recruits itself. And you've got a couple banners hangin' in the gym already. Could be worse.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

Thanks all.....this wasn't about Kansas being hated. Some of that does come with the territory. I just can't ever imagine being overjoyed watching a rival lose........I guess we're all different and that's what makes the world go around.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mook, great post. Seriously.

But you obviously don't understand the history and the enmity of Missouri and Kansas. It's not just about sports or schools, it goes way deeper than that. About a 150 years deeper.
I have a couple of very good friends who are Missouri fans who delight in Kansas' failure......they are PURCHASING Northern Iowa t-shirts?!?!
Of course Northern Iowa. What better way to remind squawkfans of what losers they, their school and team are, a bumper sticker? Beides, those Bucknell and Bradley T-shirts were getting kinda' faded and needed to be replaced anyway.
They both said they were happier Kansas lost than if Missouri would have won.
And you believed them?

pssst - Mizzou fans always lie to Kansas fans.

We're not happy that Kansas lost. It fucked up 99% of our brackets. What we're happy about is that smug, arrogant Kansas fans are humbled and we don't have to listen to their shit. We don't have to see their thousands of shit beaker T-shirts, hats, etc.... all over Kansas City, Missouri acting like they own the joint.

I'd have no problem with Jayhawk fans, if they stayed in fucking Kansas and the fuck out my face. You damn sure won't catch this Missouri boy over the State Line very often. I avoid it like the plague.

And that's no lie. :P
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

War Wagon wrote:Mook, great post. Seriously.

But you obviously don't understand the history and the enmity of Missouri and Kansas. It's not just about sports or schools, it goes way deeper than that. About a 150 years deeper.
Oh, I understand..........I just think that as I age it becomes less important to me. Besides that, I actually like Mike Anderson and your players right now and have respect for what Anderson is trying to accomplish at MU after the Quin Snyder debacle. Leaving the area for nearly a decade and then coming back has certainly given me better perspective on this whole KU/MU thing......just isn't as important as it once was, I suppose.

You'll still see me wearing my KU shit though......even in KC,MO. My boys may have lost, but I won't forsake them........and I'll take the shit that goes along with being a Jayhawk fan this time of year. I'll take a year like this every year....just have to enjoy the ride and understand that both good and bad things can happen in March. Besides, you almost can't help but smile a little for that UNI kid that nailed the three...great freaking play and something he'll remember for the rest of his life. What a great moment for everyone but Kansas fans.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mook wrote: Oh, I understand......
I don't think you do.
Besides, you almost can't help but smile a little for that UNI kid that nailed the three...great freaking play and something he'll remember for the rest of his life. What a great moment for everyone but Kansas fans.
Ali "Jayhawk Killer" Faroutismeckistan can bow towards Mecca for the rest of his life and Mizzoufan will forever offer to buy him a beer.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

Is beer popular with the Muslims :D
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I hope so, 'cause Ali will never have to buy another one.

If you're interested, I can probably find some UNI gear for ya, Mook. :)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't give a damn for the whole state of Mich...wait...
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

the only good beakers, are dead beakers.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Not true, adel.
pssst - Mizzou fans always lie to Kansas fans.
I swear this isn't going to hurt, baby.

Mizzoufans marry Kansasfans... and make them their bitches.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Nothing too special, Whitey. Missouri and Kansas are basically one big incestuous shithole, anyway. Nothing to get fired up over.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Missourians fucking Kansans is not incest, not even of the kissing cousin variety.... and you just stepped in dogshit, vagabond.

They make good mothers.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:vagabond
There are hundreds of thousands of refugees from the Missouri/Kansas corridor, thank you very much. Don't be so generous with the compliments next time, Whitey.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Mook wrote:why is it fans of schools take so much delight in the misfortune of their rivals?
I think the simple answer is because it's their rivals losing. I believe the same thing would hold true in professional sports.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

There are rivalries in professional sports? :?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:There are rivalries in professional sports? :?

There aren't?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

One other thought on the gleeful and widespread backlash against Kansas. In the week leading up to the tournament all of the talking heads were explaining to the fans of 63 of the 64 teams why they would be playing for second place.

I run a computerized bracket for a local tavern. We got around 175 entries. Well over 80% of them had Kansas winning it all, and a majority of the ones that didn’t were second and third brackets turned in by those who picked Kansas in their first bracket and were trying to hedge their bets.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim