How many holiday lbs. do you greasy gelatinous fucks put on?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: How many holiday lbs. do you greasy gelatinous fucks put on?

Post by indyfrisco »

Like I said in the other thread, I'll may put on about 10 lbs., but I shed it by late Feb. usually and stick around my normal weight around 200 lbs. most of the year. This year may be tough. All of a sudden I have major lower back pain after this past weekend. Not sure what I did. I played a round of golf and hung xmas shit on the house. Nothing real active, but I think my discs are bulging again. Haven't had an epidurral in 10 years and don't want another. Hoping it just got strained a little, but not being able to stand up straight without pain makes me think it is a little more than that.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Sir Cumfrence
Jake

Post by Sir Cumfrence »

What you don't know won't bother you. Just don't weigh yourself and it won't be a problem. :)
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Well whatever weight I gain on Thanksgiving day is usually gone between an evening and a morning of strenuous cardio.

On the toilet.

My biggest downfall is the the "sampling" of goodies that occur during all the Christmas parties and such. "Well, New Years is right around the corner".
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

0.0 lbs...

I just increase my cardio if need be... this year may be tougher though.

The wife is pregnant and wants to "eat out" a lot more. <-- insert Ruby Tuesday j/k here.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

The wife is pregnant and wants to "eat out"
Drop me a line.

-Whitey's daughter
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: The wife is pregnant
Congrats dude.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Thanks, Tom. Oh and. Rack MGO, as usual...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Rack MGO, as usual...
Yes, just wish he would have said "Text me."
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

IndyFrisco wrote:Yes, just wish he would have said "Text me."

Even better. Fuck MGO. You can have his RACK.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:I don't put on any. Like Dins, I'm svelte.

Sometimes, being LB-challenged doesn't suck.

Although I plan on eating approximately 150 LBs of food, which might even get me to crack the 180 barrier.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oh, and RACK MaGoo-btw.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Jsc810 wrote:I'm going to enjoy all of it and am not going to worry for a moment about whether I gain weight or not.
You sound like an death row inmate gearing up for his last meal. Does the priest usually administer last rite's beforehand or afterwards?

God speed, Chip.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

EVERY year between November 1 and March 1 I gain 10-15lbs do to being inactive. I go from 165ish to 175ish. Usually gain 3lbs each for thanksgiving and Christmas weeks. Takes me from March till July to lose it.

I have NO discipline. If I had a desk Job I would weigh 200+ easily.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If an Eastern Washingtonian gains weight in the lack-of-forest, does anyone notice?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Fear not -- JSC810RootingInterests has eluded both the Grim Reaper and Charles Darwin so adeptly over the years, there's no reason to believe that trend will be bucked any time soon.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I lost 10 lbs. a couple of weeks ago when I was sick with strep throat. I haven't been that sick since I was a kid. Three trips to the doctor in a week.

I look forward to packing on a pound or three tomorrow.

I'm doing three or four Ironman events next year. The serious training starts in January. I plan to eat at will until then.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

jsc eating past full? with his tattered tract?

he's a dietary evel knievel.

as for me, I will probably put on 5 lbs or so, but, hopefully the weather and my self discipline will hold out so I can get in a fair number of bike commutes to minimize the poundage.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Well, I have fired the first round in the battle of the bulge. I rode my bike to the grocery store. Middle butcher road is a blast with 20+ lbs of groceries in the saddle bags in addition to my 235 (or more) pounds to drag along. Of course I'd probably have to ride it along with upper butcher cliff road a dozen times to offset the 1/2 gal of nog in one of my bags that I will likely drink by myself.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Jsc810 wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:I'm doing three or four Ironman events next year.
Holy shit. Rack you if you can finish one.

I'm going to try to get myself to where I can finish a sprint distance tri next year, we'll see if the body holds up enough to do that.
I am registered for two Ironman 70.3's (Lonestar and Syracuse) and Ironman Florida to end the season. I'm looking into possibly registering for another full IM during the summer. Haven't decided yet. Maybe Vineman in July.

Not only finish, I'd like to see if I can finish Ironman Florida in 11 hours. It will all depend on my bike training to see if I have a shot at 11:00. I give myself a fighting chance if I can start the marathon portion at about 6:40 into the race, thus allowing me to do the marathon at about a 10 minute/mile pace. Not sure I can pull that off without completely blowing my wad on the bike. Conservative estimates on my part figure 1:08 for the swim and 5:30 for the bike. That puts me at 6:38 not counting transitions, which take much longer than shorter distance triathlons (T1 and T2 could take 12 minutes or more combined). I'd have to shave about 10 minutes off my estimated bike & swim time without killing myself. I'd also need near ideal conditions on race day. Odds of all that working out for me aren't the greatest and 11:00 might be a pipe dream. I'd be more than happy finishing in anything sub-11:30, barring some unexpected troubles.

I'd like to do the 70.3's in sub-5:15.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

i really need to get my fat ass into a mini iron man one of these days. Maybe a real one some day. I'd do fine with the bike and if i'd get myself into the pool regularly, I should be fine there as well. Running beats the fukk outta my knees, so I wouldn't train at it, but, I can still knock off an occasional run. What are the distances for a TVO sized IM? I could hand a metric century on the bike easy enough and maybe a half marathon run. Not sure about the swim, but, with a bit of practice, I could handle a mile or two, I think.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

yeah, 11 hrs seems to me ought to be pretty damn good. i suspect world class times would be somewhere in the 8 hr range. i think i could manage the olympic distance pretty easily. maybe work up to a half after a while. screw doing a full blown IM though. no fukking way i would ever torture my knees with a 26 mile run.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I'm 70 and happy to be here. When I was 42 I was running 10Ks without working up a sweat. I weighed in around 235 then. I'm up to the 285-290 range now (6'3") and at the point in my life where I just enjoy food and drink and to hell with it ! Some of you guys will end up being the healthiest in the cemetery. Enjoy !
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Jsc810 wrote:There are four basic distances, but it varies from race to race:
Sprint: .75K swim, 20K bike, 5K run
Olympic: 1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run
1/2 Iron: 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run
Iron: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run

Rack Fu is talking about doing a sub 5:15 :shock: in the 1/2 Iron; I've finished three of them, and all three were over 8 hours. A sprint distance will take me about 2 to 2.5 hours.

Yeah, I'm slow, but it still is fun to finish.
I've done a sprint in 1:17. Did an olympic in 2:30-something. If I could run at a competitive pace, I'd be pretty decent from an age grouper standpoint. I'm just not that fleet of feet. I'm a pretty good swimmer and naturally good biker but can't run for shit. I'd almost give my right arm to be able to run a 8 minute pace during a triathlon.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

rack you, you old fat bastard for making it through more turkey days than i can count.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

smackaholic wrote:yeah, 11 hrs seems to me ought to be pretty damn good. i suspect world class times would be somewhere in the 8 hr range. i think i could manage the olympic distance pretty easily. maybe work up to a half after a while. screw doing a full blown IM though. no fukking way i would ever torture my knees with a 26 mile run.
Elite world class Ironman times are in the 8:15 to 8:45 neighborhood. Anything sub-9:00 is off the charts good. Some courses are harder than others. I chose Ironman Florida for my first Ironman because it is late in the year and flat as a board. I can't train for biking and running hills in Houston because we don't have any. I'd get completely creamed on a hilly course like Ironman Lake Placid. 11:00 would have gotten me a 440th place finish out of 2400 at the 2009 Ironman Florida and 80th out of 400 in my 40-44 age group. Better than your average bear but certainly nothing special.
Katy

Post by Katy »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:0.0 lbs...

The wife is pregnant and wants to "eat out" a lot more. <-- insert Ruby Tuesday j/k here.

Congrats on the baby!
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Henry Ford wrote:Exercise is bunk. If you are healthy you don't need it. If you are sick you shouldn't take it.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Screw_Michigan wrote:I don't put on any. Like Dins, I'm svelte.
Rack and likewise. Never been more than +/- 3 lbs from my average weight.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:0.0 lbs...

Congratulations/my condolences! Give us a mental health status update when she's around 6-9 months along. :lol:
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Jsc810 wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:11:00 would have gotten me a 440th place finish out of 2400 at the 2009 Ironman Florida and 80th out of 400 in my 40-44 age group. Better than your average bear but certainly nothing special.
Finishing an Ironman isn't special? Finishing an Ironman in 11:00 isn't special?

Fuck you for not realizing how fortunate you are.
I get your point but it's all relative. The competitive person in me considers special in this instance being able to qualify for Kona. I'd have to go sub-9:45 in the M40-44 group to do that. That's just never going to happen.

Only way I'm ever going to Kona is on vacation. :D
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

even the elite events should have shlubs. i seem to remember seeing footage of dudes being cheered wildly at THE ironman event on the big island crossing the finish line about, oh, I don't know, a week and a half after the frontrunners.

rack anybody who can finish the real deal. i'm fairly sure i could finish one in, about...uhh a weekend, maybe.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Jsc810 wrote:Or you could get in via the lottery, which is what I was trying to do before. It was a huge dream of mine, one that I put in a lot of time pursuing. It was barely possible before, and now after multiple surgeries, even that slim chance is gone.

But that's ok, and now, if I'm able to finish a sprint tri next year, it will feel almost as if I finished in Kona. A matter of appreciating what you can do, as compared to being upset at what you can't.
I put in for the Kona lottery. That would be very cool but also very intimidating!

smackaholic wrote: the elite events should have shlubs. i seem to remember seeing footage of dudes being cheered wildly at THE ironman event on the big island crossing the finish line about, oh, I don't know, a week and a half after the frontrunners.

rack anybody who can finish the real deal. i'm fairly sure i could finish one in, about...uhh a weekend, maybe.
Kona (the Ironman World Championship) is qualification only. There are a few exceptions: the 200 lottery spots plus the organizers hand out a few invites to individuals who they think will get the event some media attention. There's that 80 year old nun that does it every year. They invited one of the Biggest Loser winners from a few seasons ago. He had gained a whole bunch of weight back and didn't make the cutoff of 17 hours.

Lance Armstrong is going to do Kona in 2011. He wants to do the Tour de France in 2010 and then he is supposedly done with professional cycling. He's actually a former triathlete. It will be interesting to see what he can do. The consensus is that he will start the run portion in first place because he will absolutely destroy the bike course. We'll see how well he can run. Not sure a several minute head start on the run will hold off the pro triathletes. Never bet against Lance though. Cons: He will be 40 in 2011, lack of recent triathlon experience. Pros: He's a freakishly gifted endurance athlete and he's hyper-competitive.

I'd love to get a lottery slot in 2011 to say that I raced Lance Armstrong... and he beat me by 3 1/2 hours. :shock: