7. Oregon
8. Cincinnati
9. Penn State
10. TCU
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Re: Your Top Ten Today

Post by TheJON »

1.Bama, 2.Florida. 3.Texas. 4.Iowa. 5.Cincinnati. 6.TCU. 7.USC. 8.Penn State. 9.Oregon. 10.Georgia Tech.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

1-Florida
2-Texas
3-Bama
4-USC
5-Cincy
6-TCU
7-Iowa
8-Oregon
9-Georgia Tech
10-Penn St

Sorry, but I've simply been more impressed with Cincy and TCU than Iowa.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. Iowa
5. TCU
6. Cincinnati
7. USC
8. Georgia Tech
9. Boise State
10. Oregon
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

1. Texas
2. Florida
3. TCU
4. Alabama
5. Iowa
6. Cincy
7. USC
8. Boise State
9. Georgia Tech
10. Oregon
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Van wrote:Sorry, but I've simply been more impressed with Cincy and TCU than Iowa.

Psst...Iowa beat your #10 team. :|
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Van, you have Penn State in your Top 10. Iowa is unbeaten and the only one of your Top 10 teams to have beaten another of your Top 10 teams and we've got 4 quality road wins and another 2 quality home wins and you put us 7? That makes no sense.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I have Penn St in my top ten only because I couldn't bring myself to put Boise there, and it was basically flipping a coin between Penn St and LSU. To me, they're about equal.

I'm more impressed with Cincy and TCU than Iowa because I'm not impressed either with Iowa's opponents or the manner in which Iowa keeps scabdicking to wins over them. I don't consider Michigan St, Michigan or Wisconsin to be particularly tough teams this year; not at all.

Meanwhile, Cincy has been trouncing teams each week, and pretty much so has TCU.

Shoalzie, so what if Iowa beat my #10 team? I have Iowa ranked above them don't I? What's your point?

Besides, I really don't consider Penn St to be a top ten team. I'm simply at a loss as to who else might go there. Penn St is just a paper tiger who built their record on a pathetic schedule, but LSU is no better.

Finally, I have USC above Iowa, Cincy and TCU for the most honest reason possible: I think USC is better than them, and would beat them head-to-head. I know USC would be favored over any of them on a neutral field, and USC just wouldn't lose to any of them on a neutral field; not at this time of year, or in a bowl game.

If USC faces Iowa in the Rose Bowl it's going to be positively ugly for Iowa. It will not even be close. A USC team which managed to get through Autzen unscathed on their way to running the table the rest of the way will roll Iowa, or any team from the Big 10.

USC and Cincy are both better than Iowa, and USC would beat them both. That's what I think.

Don't like it? Think it's unfair? Too bad.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Texas
Alabama
Florida
Iowa
Cincinnati
USC
TCU
Oregon
Boise State
Georgia Tech
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Van wrote:Shoalzie, so what if Iowa beat my #10 team? I have Iowa ranked above them don't I? What's your point?

Besides, I really don't consider Penn St to be a top ten team. I'm simply at a loss as to who else might go there. Penn St is just a paper tiger who built their record on a pathetic schedule, but LSU is no better.

You aren't impressed by Iowa but yet out of TCU, Iowa and Cincy...Iowa has beaten a team you consider "worthy" of the top 10.

I'm not just picking on you but why doesn't it hold any weight to beat a highly ranked team? You want to call their win fraudulent but it did happen. We can't punish a team for winning a close or an ugly game. The point is to win games.

The fact of the matter is there aren't a lot of teams (if any) capable of going through their entire schedule without a squeezer or two or a game full of turnovers and they still pull it out. Championship teams can win ugly as well as win by 5 touchdowns.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Shoalzie, didn't I just say that I don't consider Penn St to be a top ten team?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did.

Iowa has scabdicked nearly all season long. It wasn't just one or two times. They have one "tough" win this season, against a thoroughly overrated, schedule friendly 6-1 Penn St. They didn't exactly blow Penn St away either. It was a close game. Iowa simply hasn't impressed me. They're not a dominant team, and a top five team needs to be a dominant team; not a gutty, lucky, scabdick team.

Cincy and TCU have killed people. They've looked better than Iowa.

Mace, what does putting Cincy and TCU above Iowa have to do with Pac 10 homering? I don't give a fuck about either of them, and they're not Pac 10 teams.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Jsc, everyone uses different criteria, obviously.

If it was strictly about performance on the field then it would look like this...

1-Cincy
2-TCU
3-Florida
4-Texas
5-Bama
6-Iowa
7-Boise St

Of all the undefeateds, Cincy has clearly been the most consistently dominant. Next would be TCU, then we'd finally get to the SEC teams and Texas. Iowa and Boise would have to bring up the rear.

Is anybody here prepared to do that? Of course not.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

It makes me a realist. USC would be favored by at least ten if they played Iowa on a neutral field.

I guess Vegas are ball sucking homers too.

Beyond that, USC would kill Iowa in a Rose Bowl. You know damn well that you'd much rather face anybody but USC in a Rose Bowl, and despite all your bullshit "say the right things" posturing you'd expect USC to beat Iowa.

Say anything else, and you're lying.

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Van, those are some of the worst takes and arguments I have ever heard. I'm not even going to respond to that garbage. Wow, I am now dumber for reading this thread.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mace wrote:
Van wrote:It makes me a realist. USC would be favored by at least ten if they played Iowa on a neutral field.

I guess Vegas are ball sucking homers too.

Beyond that, USC would kill Iowa in a Rose Bowl. You know damn well that you'd much rather face anybody but USC in a Rose Bowl, and despite all your bullshit "say the right things" posturing you'd expect USC to beat Iowa.

Say anything else, and you're lying.
I would look forward to scabdicking yet another win against USC in the Rose Bowl.
You may look forward to it, but you wouldn't bet on it. If you had to bet your mortgage on the winner of a USC-Iowa Rose Bowl all your bullshit posturing would go out the window when without hesitation you'd slap that deed down on USC.

You would, and so would every other person in here, including Jon.
Now, back to my question....what Cincy or TCU "killings" are so impressive?

@ Rutgers W 47-15
Southeast Missouri State W 70-3
@ Oregon State W 28-18
Fresno State W 28-20
@ Miami (OH) W 37-13
@ No. 21 South Florida W 34-17
Louisville W 41-10
Five blowouts, including the last three in a row. They've also won @Oregon St, @Fresno St and @S. Florida, and Oregon St and S. Florida are both better than anyone Iowa's played except for Penn St.

They also destroyed the people they were expected to destroy.
@ Virginia W 30-14
Texas State W 56-21
@ Clemson W 14-10
Southern Methodist W 39-14
@ Air Force W 20-17
Colorado State W 44-6
@ No. 16 Brigham Young W 38-7
Five blowouts. Wins @Clemson and @BYU are better than anything's Iowa's managed besides the PSU win.

They also destroyed the teams they were expected to destroy.

Now, let's look at Iowa...

Northern Iowa W 17-16
@Iowa St W 35-3
Arizona W 27-17
@Penn St W 21-10
Arkansas St W 24-21
Michigan W 30-28
@Wisconsin W 20-10
@Michigan St W 15-13

Only one blowout, and that was against an awful Iowa St team. And yes, Iowa St is awful. Don't even bother trying to say otherwise.

Four scabdick wins, including two in Kinnick against teams they should've beaten by thirty. They basically lost at home to a fucking D1-AA team; only winning because the D1-AA team couldn't even manage to execute a proper FG. Nobody on that schedule is very good. Only Penn St was a real test, at least for anybody who wants to consider themselves an elite team, and Penn St isn't an elite team.

It's pretty damn clear. Cincy and TCU have both played much better than Iowa so far.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I know you wouldn't bet your mortgage, nor would I, obviously, but if you had to - the point being, you were forced to be honest, by being made to back up your talk by risking something truly important to you - you'd pick this 11-1 USC team to beat your 12-0 or 11-1 Iowa team.

It's that simple. It defines how you really feel.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mace wrote:Cincy and TCU would both have losses if they played Iowa's schedule and I can't see either of them going to Happy Valley or E. Lansing and leaving with a win.
Not sure about Cincy, but I could see TCU being undefeated with Iowa's schedule. What they did last night at BYU was very impressive and beating a decent Clemson team on the road shouldn't be glossed over.

How the hell can you not like and respect a team like that?
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Van is fucking pathetic. SC lost to UW. Period. You cannot dismiss this as some fluke. SC was in that game and couldn't win.

Iowa is undefeated. Scabdicking or not. Period.

Did SC scabdick last night? Against ND? I'm sure that you're not holding those games against them as you run that their in the top five, right?

Fuck off...I'm tired of reading you al the time making excuses for losses against the Cardinal, the Beavers, and the Huskies.

SC just aint that good this year.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Van wrote: I don't consider Michigan St, Michigan or Wisconsin to be particularly tough teams this year; not at all.
what you consider carries about as much weight as, oh, i don't know. you've gone on record as saying washington and stanford were good, so not much weight at all.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

more precisely, udub is still pretty good when talking about SC's loss, but at the same time they suck if we need to explain why LSU is overrated.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mace wrote: Because I think they're getting more respect than they deserve. All they can do is play the schedule they have but I don't see any Penn States or Ohio States , or Michigan States on their schedules.
Big Ten ballsucking homer much?

TCU would smoke those teams.

Don't become a parody of what you despise.
CintiBearcat92
Elwood

Post by CintiBearcat92 »

Mace wrote: Because I think they're getting more respect than they deserve. All they can do is play the schedule they have but I don't see any Penn States or Ohio States , or Michigan States on their schedules.
Umm, I'm not sure too many people judge a team's schedule quality based on how many Big 10 teams they play. I know I sure as hell don't. PLEASE show me how the Big 10 is so superior to the Big East. Please tell me why your top 3 teams are better than ours. Hell, lets go 5 or 6 deep or even 8 deep.

Cincinnati vs. Iowa
Pittsburgh vs. Penn State
West Virginia vs. Ohio State

Looks like 3 really good football games to me and quite honestly all three of those games could go either way. Based on how teams are playing right now, I'll take the Big East 2-1 in those games. I'll even go so far as to say that the only conference that would have an advantage over the Big East in that kind of matchup would be the SEC and there is no guarantee they would come out on top either. Please tell me why beating Michigan State is better than beating South Florida or Rutgers. The truth is, you have no idea. It's all based on personal bias.

My top 10:

1) Texas
2) Florida
3) Alabama
4) Cincinnati
5) Iowa
6) USC
7) TCU
8) Boise State
9) Oregon
10) LSU
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

So TCU's resume would be more impressive if they'd play teams that can't beat Central Michigan or Purdue?

Rack it. :meds:
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. Iowa
5. USC
6. TCU
7. Cincinatti
8. Boise St.
9. Oregon
10. LSU
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mace wrote: Of course, I'm biased towards the Big 10 and the Big 12
Damn, Mace.

You're a ballsucking homer for two conferences.

:mrgreen: