Thoughts on the week, a look ahead.......

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Thoughts on the week, a look ahead.......

Post by TheJON »

Decent week of CFB. The Miami/OU game was very good, as was the ND/Washington game. LSU-Georgia had one heck of a last 3 minutes after a brutal first 57 minutes.

Lot's of seperation this week......

Cal............BOOM- outta here!
Oklahoma.........Touche'
Houston...........What the fuck was that? UTEP? Nice knowin' ya!
Michigan..........Better beat Iowa on Saturday or SEASON OVER
Texas A&M.......We knew you weren't any good, but my good. Nice performance!
Georgia...........You suck, nuff said
Illinois............When the going gets tough- QUIT! Ron Zook motto.

Props to these teams.....

Miami............They're not completely back, but they're also not out of the national title hunt. Teams in front of them will drop while they're playing a weak remaining schedule. If they run the table, they've got a shot. 3-1 start with that schedule is quite impressive.
LSU..............Props on moving to 5-0 and winning in a hostile environment. Still don't know much about this team. Good defense, but brutal offensively. Played some very bad teams and even Georgia isn't very good. Going to get SMOKED by Florida.
Washington..........I know they lost and had a chance to put ND away, but they're very much improved. Maybe the most improved team in the country. They're gonna be a pretty good team in a year.
Auburn..........Another team we don't know a ton about, but they are 5-0 and Chizik is doing a solid job. I expected a big start to they year, and we'll see in a couple weeks just how good they really are. But a good start.
USC..........Thanks for getting rid of m2. Fight On??
Wisconsin........I'm surprised to see them at 5-0. Not a real tough schedule, but Bielema's done a good job with a team that doesn't have a ton of talent.

Conference rankings
1.SEC
2.Pac-10
3.Big-12
4.Big-10
5.ACC
6.Big East
7.Who cares?

Realistic national title contenders (ranked according to best shot to play for title based on current ranking and future schedules).....

1.Florida
2.Tejas
3.USC
4.Miami
5.Alabama
6.Boise State
7.Cincinnati
8.Oregon

This is not how I would rank the teams, but these are the teams that I feel have the best shot to play for the title. I really don't think anyone else has much of a shot. The 2 teams in the BCS title game will be amongst those 8 teams above.

Games to watch next week..........

Michigan at Iowa. I really don't know how to predict this game. Iowa is due for a loss. Michigan has an offense that could give our defense some problems due to matchups. But on the other hand, our offense matches up well against their defense. I think Iowa will win, and the reason is I believe Forcier will make a couple costly mistakes at the wrong time. Last week was Michigan's first road test, but it was NOTHING compared to what they're about to see on Saturday. If they thought East Lansing was tough........wait until they have to play in a cold Kinnick Stadium under the lights. Forcier plays well, but ends up costing them the game. Iowa 24-17.

Nebraska at Missouri. Potentially for the Big-12 North title. Hard game to gauge as well. Missouri is 4-0 but has played 4 horrible opponents. Nebraska has no quality wins. I will lean slightly towards Missouri because they're at home, but this should come down to the wire.

Alabama at Ole Miss. Alabama SHOULD win this game, but it's probably their only losable game before the SEC title game. Probably going to see a very fired up Ole Miss team and sometimes emotions in CFB can lead to victory. But I still expect the Tide to win by at least a touchdown.

Boston College at Virginia Tech. Va Tech is overrated. Boston College is going to end their title hopes.

Michigan State at Illinois. Mgo won't like this, but Sparty is going to get beat in this one. It looks like a should-win for Sparty, but they're going to have an emotional letdown against a talented team. Even though Illinois has the worst coach in the country, they have the talent to beat anyone in the conference and this is the game they will finally get. Illinois 37-27

Wisconsin at Ohio State. This will give us more of an idea of how good Wiscy is. Win this and they're in the Big-10 title hunt. Play competitive and it will show me they're a solid team. This is a huge game in the Big-10. I will take the Buckeyes by 9.

Florida at LSU. Home game for LSU. 2 unbeatens. No need to discuss this one. It will be a rout. Florida by 28.

Arizona at Washington. U-Dub needs this is they want to get to a bowl game this year. A loss probably ends their chances. And Arizona is trying to prove they're a quality team. Should be a good, high scoring football game. Zona 34 U-Dub 28.

MUCK FICHIGAN!!
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Re: Thoughts on the week, a look ahead.......

Post by Vito Corleone »

Jsc810 wrote:For the 2nd week in a row, LSU will play in the game involving the highest ranked teams in the nation.

We're looking forward to it.
Texas does that every week.

Sincerely, Mack Brown
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Jsc810 wrote:For the 2nd week in a row, LSU will play in the game involving the highest ranked teams in the nation.

We're looking forward to it.
Nah, he's not trolling with this crap. Not at all.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

You knew exactly what I'm talking about. You only post with the purpose of trolling with yet another glass of SECBSH kool-aid.

Newsflash: LSU isn't very good. They don't deserve their ranking. Their ranking is total bullshit, same as Ole Miss's was the week before.

If LSU were in the Big 10 they'd be ranked below Iowa right now, based on how they've looked so far, coming on the heels of a .500 season.

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

LSU will get their chance Saturday to prove if they're any good. Right now, we really don't know. So until then, no one (LSU fans included) can really say much. What I do know is they've played 4 HORRIBLE teams and 1 average team. To their credit, they are 5-0. But they're 2 plays away from being 3-2 with a mediocre schedule. Does that make them a bad team? No. But I also don't think their ranking is justified at this point, and it's based solely on LSU and the SEC's reputation.

Saturday is their shot to prove their ranking. If they keep it within a TD, they deserve a Top 10 ranking.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Jsc810 wrote:Let's see, when rankings work out for you, you like them. But when LSU is ranked above USC, rankings are no good.

Gotcha.

Really, I understand.
LSU gets the benefit of everything, every time. The rankings are always skewed in their favor, no matter how mediocre their actual performance on the field.

No wonder you ballsuck for the SEC so much. It's LSU's life-blood.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

'Spray, when Jsc trolls like that, hey, I call him on it.

That's just how it works around here.

:mrgreen:

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Pretty easy to find, too.

See, it wouldn't be a Jsc post unless it somehow included a non sequitur boast about the SEC, or glass footballs. You post things using very specific verbiage, with a very specific purpose.

The point is always to brag about the SEC. Lacking any real knowledge of your own team, or of those other SEC teams, you simply burp up the same generic, self-serving boast about the conference.

It's become a death and taxes troll of yours.

TIGRDOG
Jake

Post by TIGRDOG »

hahahahahahahaha..,,,,...........BWAHAHAHAHAHA :D
DRILL HERE.. DRILL NOW.. VAS TIER ------ REBDOG
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

If you think THAT is trolling, if you think THAT is "a non sequitur boast about the SEC, or glass footballs", well, I really don't know.
I gotta say, Jsc, you've really gone from solid poster with takes to m2 without the YouTube/Google images.

Who stole Jsc's password???
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Go Tigers.
GO Tigers?? GO?????????????????????????

This can't be the REAL Jsc............

Proof that it's a troll..........
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

It's "Geaux Tigers!" Chip.

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I didn't know "go" was a word in Lewsiana.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Van wrote:It's "Geaux Tigers!" Chip.
And your qb's name is Jordan Jefferson. Oh, and you play in Tiger Stadium, commonly referred to as "Death Valley." Your head coach is Les Miles, your colors are purple and gold, and you're in the SEC West.
TIGRDOG
Jake

Post by TIGRDOG »

BTW, spray...props on Allbarn beating Good Ol Rotton Crotch this weekend..

However , my number 1 hated team is bammer....you be savin up for them.
DRILL HERE.. DRILL NOW.. VAS TIER ------ REBDOG
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

For those hating on LSU and who they have played, who exactly worth a shit has Florida beaten this year?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Nobody.

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

TenTallBen wrote:For those hating on LSU and who they have played, who exactly worth a shit has Florida beaten this year?
Florida hasn't needed luck to beat a couple mediocre opponents like LSU has.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

TheJON wrote:
TenTallBen wrote:For those hating on LSU and who they have played, who exactly worth a shit has Florida beaten this year?
Florida hasn't needed luck to beat a couple mediocre opponents like LSU has.

Nebraska hasn't needed luck to beat a couple mediocre opponents like Iowa has in Iowa City. <<---fixed that for ya.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

TTB - I hope LSU beats UF next week, but I tell you what - they're sure as fucking going to have to play better than they did against UGA....
It will be ridiculous in Tiger Stadium on Sat night. There will be no blowout, I guarantee. Win or lose, I predict the best performance of the year by LSU. They are supposed to not have a chance so who gives a fuck, right?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

TheJON wrote:Michigan State at Illinois. Mgo won't like this, but Sparty is going to get beat in this one. It looks like a should-win for Sparty, but they're going to have an emotional letdown against a talented team. Even though Illinois has the worst coach in the country, they have the talent to beat anyone in the conference and this is the game they will finally get. Illinois 37-27
I shouldn't have a problem with it considering I picked that game as a loss before the season started. Of course at the time I didn't realize Illinois would be THIS bad. They're in a couple tiers below pathetic right now, granted, their three losses have all been to good teams, but they averaged like 9 freaking points per game in those losses -- and they were supposed to be able to score on anybody! Many thought they'd have one of if not THE best offense in the Big Ten. They were supposed to lose games 27-30 not 0-30. They only scored 9 on Mizzou's d fer christ sakes, and the rest of the season thus far proves that game wasn't just game 1 rustiness. They really are that bad. Juice Williams has proven he's nothing more than an amazing athlete who can occasionally make some highlight reel plays. A quarterback, he is not, and he isn't the same dynamic playmaker we saw when he had an All-American RB making his job a fuck of a lot easier.

That being said, yeah, I could be setting myself up here for an embarrassing loss but I doubt it. 11 A.M. Kickoff in a tame environment with a fanbase that's probably already mailed in the season...definitely tougher places to play right now than Champaign. And if they lose the game it won't be due to the emotional hangover. MSU squashed that trend last year after the double digit win in AA.

Also, this is a very good on-paper matchup for MSU, especially if Juice continues his struggles. He'll need a breakout game with his ARM, and Illinois will have to sprout a defense pretty quickly because I don't see them stopping MSU's passing game, and now the running game is starting to gel. Simply put, if Caper and Winston don't put the ball on the carpet and Juice isn't effective as a passer then MSU wins the game.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

TheJON wrote: Missouri is 4-0 but has played 4 horrible opponents.
And then, this must be the famous jonsense I've read about.
Even though Illinois has the worst coach in the country, they have the talent to beat anyone in the conference and this is the game they will finally get. Illinois 37-27
Make up your mind already.

Btw, didn't Nebraska beat the snot out of UTEP, who just beat Houston?

The Huskers not a quality team? I beg to differ.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Stanford, a team that a lot of people were saying shouldn't even be allowed in the BCS as recently as last year, is now leading the Pac10 at 3-0 and 4-1.

One of the top RBs in the country (so far), a bruising OL, a freshman QB who's looking better every week and a defense that's actually looking respectable. If they beat Oregon State on Saturday, should they break into the top 25?

When they beat a 4 or 5 loss Cal team in November will that earn them any respect?
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

War Wagon wrote:
No.
"Keys, woman!"
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

War Wagon wrote:
It was Texas that beat them and gave up 53 yards of total offense to UTEP. Go back and you can read where resident Sooner fan was pissed because Colt McCoy was still in the game in the 2nd quarter.

Funny how College football works. UofH beats Tech and OkState and are #12 and then plays a team that lost by 57 and loses. Crazy.

Looking forward to a repeat performance by the Texas against Colorado.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mikey wrote:Stanford, a team that a lot of people were saying shouldn't even be allowed in the BCS as recently as last year, is now leading the Pac10 at 3-0 and 4-1.

One of the top RBs in the country (so far), a bruising OL, a freshman QB who's looking better every week and a defense that's actually looking respectable. If they beat Oregon State on Saturday, should they break into the top 25?
They should already be there. The only reason they aren't is reputation.

Stanford is one play away from being 5-0. Stanford is well on their way to being a good football team.
When they beat a 4 or 5 loss Cal team in November will that earn them any respect?
Not much, no. Beating Oregon and USC sure will though.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

We've seen all this before, and we know how this movie ends.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:They should already be there. The only reason they aren't is reputation.

Stanford is one play away from being 5-0. Stanford is well on their way to being a good football team.
Wisky, on the other hand, is 5-0 and still hasn't cracked the AP top 25. That's pretty absurd.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

TheJON wrote: Conference rankings
1.SEC
2.Pac-10
3.Big-12
4.Big-10
5.ACC
6.Big East
7.Who cares?
I have to take exception with ranking the Big East behind the ACC. The ACC has lost 2 games to 1 AA teams, had to win over a 1 AA in OT and has a worse OOC record than the Big East. Head to head, the Big and ACC are at 2-2 with 1 more game reamining I believe (Miami @ USF on 11/28)
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Van wrote:They should already be there. The only reason they aren't is reputation.

Wisky, on the other hand, is 5-0 and still hasn't cracked the AP top 25. That's pretty absurd.
Like Stanford, they play in the wrong conference.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Van wrote:
Mikey wrote:Stanford, a team that a lot of people were saying shouldn't even be allowed in the BCS as recently as last year, is now leading the Pac10 at 3-0 and 4-1.

They should already be there. The only reason they aren't is reputation.

Not much, no. Beating Oregon and USC sure will though.
Saw them play for the first time this year on Saturday against UCLAme. Admittedly the Baby Bears aren't exactly a national powerhouse, but Stanford totally dominated, at least for the first 3 1/2 quarters. Their physicality was quite impressive for a team that has been saddled with their rep for the past 8 or 9 years.

Gerhart is an absolute monster. If I remember right, though, he started out last year the same way but went down with an ankle or something. The difference is that this year he has a capable backup to spell him every few downs (he still had 30 carries on Saturday) and a really good OL.

Pretty amazing what a difference it can make when you bring in a capable coach who is able to recruit a few impact players and then build a team's personality around those players. Harbaugh could be on his way to being coach of the year.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

War Wagon wrote: Btw, didn't Nebraska beat the snot out of UTEP, who just beat Houston?

The Huskers not a quality team? I beg to differ.
Oh no you di'int.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Mikey wrote:Pretty amazing what a difference it can make when you bring in a capable coach who is able to recruit a few impact players and then build a team's personality around those players. Harbaugh could be on his way to being coach of the year.
And if he wasn't such a gigantic douchebag, he would be very easy to root for.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Killian, besides that one comment he made about Michigan, what makes Harbaugh a gigantic douchebag?

I just know he's a guy I wouldn't mind having coach my team. Along with Sarkisian at Washington and Saban at Bama he's done just a helluva job in quickly turning around a dormant program.

Killian

Post by Killian »

Last year after the ND/Stanford game, Clausen went up to Harbaugh to shake his hand. Harbaugh told him to go fuck himself.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Killian

Post by Killian »

Also, I'm not ready to turn the keys over to those guys just yet. Harbaugh still has yet to post a winning record and Sark is only in his first year. Although, I do think Sark will be a hell of a coach.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I gotta call bullshit on Harbaugh telling a college kid to go fuck himself at midfield following a game. No way. Too many cameras around, and Harbaugh knows that.

Killian

Post by Killian »

Van wrote:I gotta call bullshit on Harbaugh telling a college kid to go fuck himself at midfield following a game. No way. Too many cameras around, and Harbaugh knows that.
Call bullshit if you want, but it happened. It was verified by other players as well as some ND administration. From the post game PC:

Q. Coach Harbaugh said he didn’t see you afterwards on the field.
JIMMY CLAUSEN: You know, to be honest, after the little melee was going on, I went up to him, stuck my hand out, just said, Good game, coach. You know, he obviously didn’t want to talk to me, so…

Q. Were you surprised that happened?
JIMMY CLAUSEN: Yeah, I was actually. He’s a great guy, a great coach. He recruited me a little bit. I was just going up to him, you know, trying to have good sportsmanship, say good game. He obviously either didn’t see me or didn’t want to talk to me.

Q. There’s no doubt he didn’t see you? He said he didn’t see you after the game. There’s no doubt in your mind he saw you?
JIMMY CLAUSEN: He either saw me or didn’t see me.

Q. Maybe he doesn’t recognize you.
JIMMY CLAUSEN: I guess not (laughter). Yeah, the new haircut got him, I guess.

Q. You were right in his path, though, right?
JIMMY CLAUSEN: Like I said, I just put my hand out there and said, Good game, coach. He either didn’t see me or didn’t want to talk to me.

He didn't "snub" him. He looked directly at Clausen and told him to fuck off.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Sorry, but I don't believe that. If that were true there'd be youtube links all over the place.

Snubbing him? Maybe. Telling him to fuck off at midfield, with hordes of camera people all around, and nobody caught it?

I want to see proof.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Killian wrote: He looked directly at Clausen and told him to fuck off.
I don't see that either stated or implied in the quotes you posted. Where are you getting it from?