Catholicism and confession

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Katy

Catholicism and confession

Post by Katy »

I've never posted in this forum before--but will say there's a lot of interesting topics in here.

I haven't always been the most spiritual person, but I've recently (the past year) started going back to church. I am Roman Catholic. I have always had an issue or hard time going to confession. The concept always bugged me. To be honest, I haven't been to confession in nearly 10 years.

I don't know why I need to confess my sins to a priest when I can just talk to God myself. How can a priest grant me absolution for my sins? I understand that the sacrament of penance and reconciliation is an important one in Catholicism, but isn't God supposed to be the one you confess to? I would rather cut out the middle man and just pray and talk to God myself.

Before anyone jumps me--I wasn't a cradle Catholic. My parents converted to Catholicism when I was 12 years old. I wasn't exactly given a choice and followed the religion that my parents chose. My parents were not devout and I fell out of favor with religion, God, and the church and found my back.

I don't know if there are any other Catholics that post here, but wondered if maybe they were in agreement or what their views are about it.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Re: Catholicism and confession

Post by poptart »

Hi Katy.

Katy wrote:I don't know why I need to confess my sins to a priest when I can just talk to God myself.
You're exactly right.
There is no need.

1Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

How can a priest grant me absolution for my sins?
You're right, he can't.
He absolutely can not absolve anyone of their sin.

He came from Adam.

Romans 5:12
Wherefore, as by one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

A sinner can not absolve another sinner of their sin.

For that reason, God jumped right over Adam and Eve (who had surely died) and promised the SEED OF THE WOMAN -- who would destroy the work of satan - Genesis 3:15, 1John 3:8

The seed of the woman is Christ, who alone absolves us of our sin.
Johnny Bold
Jake

Post by Johnny Bold »

Amen and AMEN

IMHO:
To any and all who choose to be a practicing Catholic - I would suggest that they enjoy the fellowship while ignoring the hypocrisy.

To any and all who choose to be a practicing Christian - I would suggest that they embrace the spirit of truth which resides within all who honestly love what our Heavenly Father is truly about, and enjoy the trip.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

The Catholic Church believes the sacrament of Reconciliation was given by Christ to Peter.

In Matthew 16:13-23:
13When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

20Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

21From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

22Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

23But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
The words "whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven" describes the authority Christ bestowed upon Peter to absolve sin or not absolve sin.

In Catholic perception, there were disciples - those followers of Christ - and Apostles, the select twelve with whom it is believed Christ entrusted the foundation of His church. It was only those select twelve that were given the tasks and responsibility of being the first priests.

Personally speaking, the sacrament of confession, isn't so much this overwhelming feeling that this Priest has special powers as much as a matter of trust. It is believed the Priest can be trusted because:

1. Takes a solemn vow of confidentiality. This, if you recall, has played out in conflict with secular law many times in the Pedo Priest scandal, and other crimes wherein a crime was confessed in the confessional but the Priests did not feel compelled to break that solemn vow. Your average "I've been jerking off to pictures of women doused in chocoloate syrup and whip cream and ignoring my wife and child" CEO or otherwise upstanding member of a community might not want to tell Joe, more importantly He has a firm purpose of amendment, he sees how what he is doing has become unhealthy to himself and his family and wants to change. The problem with "sin" is it often causes the "sinner" to enter into a cycle of "sin" because once they sin, they feel unclean and can't get clean so why bother ? So this dude goes to the confessional, says his piece, listens to some counsel, and tries to change his ways. He's absolved and nobody needs to know he jerked off into a tube sock.

2. It's what the Priest does. When I have a medical issue, I go to the doctor. When my car needs inspection and important work done, I go to a mechanic. When I have legal issues, I go to a lawyer. When I am planning an event for a great number of people and need food, I go to a caterer. When people want a database designed and a database application developed in .NET - people come to me. People don't just wake up and become priests. These men, the vast majority of whom are dedicated servants to the Lord and NOT kiddie diddlers - have spent themselves mentally, intellectually and spiritually by the time they are ordained priests. The continue to do so - even more - once assigned to their position within the Church. It's simply a matter of going to someone you can trust, has read, reflected, contemplated and otherwise made the understanding of The Word his entire life not just a weekend Bible study.

Long post, sorry, but I hope this helps as it reveals some facts as I know them, put down the best way I can. I no longer practice. I was raised Catholic so most of it is from memory.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Thanks, Tart, Johnny, and Tom.

I appreciate the bible verses as well. It helps put things in complete perspective when you have that to reflect on.

I am considering experimenting with other churches. I had very little exposure to any "religion" before becoming Catholic. It would be nice to find a church that perhaps is a better fit for me and my family.

Thanks again.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Tom, that Scripture (Matthew 16:13-19) is such an important one.

It was the first time that any person made the realization and confession that Jesus is ... the Christ.
And Jesus said it was God who moved Peter to have that realization and confession.
Then Jesus said that He would build his church upon those who make that realization and confession, and that satan could never overcome it.

Why is ... the Christ ... so important?

In Genesis 3:1-19, we see what has happened to mankind.
He came under the authority of satan and surely died a spiritual death.

But God immediately gave the solution for man - Genesis 3:15.

Who is Christ?
Take time to look at the Scriptures, in order.

Genesis 3:15
Isaiah 7:14
Galatians 4:3-4
Matthew 16:16
1John 3:8

Only this Christ has overcome the work of destruction that satan has brought to man.
Only people who TAKE Christ overcome satan's work.

No human (Priest) can ever overcome the work of destruction that satan has brought to man.

About the binding and loosing ...

If we look at how Jesus taught disciples (believers) to pray, (Lord's prayer - Matthew 6:9-13), we see "Our Father which art in Heaven ...

v. 10 - Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."

Whatsoever God has determined ... in Heaven ... to be done, will ABSOLUTELY come to pass.
It a phenomenal blessing for a believer to, through prayer, have events occur on earth which are already ordained by God in Heaven to occur.

All things are moved by the authority of the throne in Heaven.

When Jesus told Peter (all disciples) that they can bind and loose things on earth and they will be so done in Heaven, it is a PHENOMENAL blessing.

All believers can do these things.

Bind -- the forces of darkness on earth -- by the name of Jesus Christ
Loose -- loose people from the forces of darkness on earth -- by having them receive the Christ
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Post by battery chucka' one »

I heard a minister say that the translation (of loosing and binding) has always been backwards. That it means what is stated in the Lord's prayer. However, somebody here might have more experience with Greek than I.

By the way, Poptart, great response. I couldn't agree more myself.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

personal opinion here is...i think it was the catholic church's way to get the skinny on everybody out there for the church's gain in one way or another.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

George Carlin has it pretty close...

Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

lol Mikey, good stuff some of his best work.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Katy wrote:I've never posted in this forum before--but will say there's a lot of interesting topics in here.

I haven't always been the most spiritual person, but I've recently (the past year) started going back to church. I am Roman Catholic. I have always had an issue or hard time going to confession. The concept always bugged me. To be honest, I haven't been to confession in nearly 10 years.

I don't know why I need to confess my sins to a priest when I can just talk to God myself. How can a priest grant me absolution for my sins? I understand that the sacrament of penance and reconciliation is an important one in Catholicism, but isn't God supposed to be the one you confess to? I would rather cut out the middle man and just pray and talk to God myself.

Before anyone jumps me--I wasn't a cradle Catholic. My parents converted to Catholicism when I was 12 years old. I wasn't exactly given a choice and followed the religion that my parents chose. My parents were not devout and I fell out of favor with religion, God, and the church and found my back.

I don't know if there are any other Catholics that post here, but wondered if maybe they were in agreement or what their views are about it.
Spoken like a true Protestant. Calvin and Luther would Rack ya!
Katy

Post by Katy »

I found a Protestant church through a friend and I'm going to be attending that church for awhile just to see if it's the right fit for me and my family. I attended a service there and really enjoyed it. It doesn't have the stuffy feel that I've grown accustomed to by going to mass.

I'm a work in progress and there's still much I don't understand or know. That's why I've elected to take bible study classes through this church one night a week.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Okay. Thanks for sharing. Good luck in your journey.