Portland, OR unhappiest city

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Jeff in SD
Elwood

Portland, OR unhappiest city

Post by Jeff in SD »

Is Portland the unhappiest city in America?

04:21 PM PST on Monday, March 2, 2009

By FRANK MUNGEAM, Kgw.com Staff

The Rose City is no Disneyland, if a new survey is to be believed.

Portland is the unhappiest city in America, according to a ranking published in Business Week.

In an article entitled “Recession Takes Its Emotional Toll on Cities”, BusinessWeek.com presents its ranking of the “20 unhappiest cities” in American, and Portland comes out on top – or the bottom, depending on how you look at it.

According to the magazine’s rankings, Portlanders were even more unhappy than those in living in unhappy cities like Detroit, Las Vegas, and New Orleans.

“We gave most emphasis to suicide and depression rates, crime, and economic factors,” writes Prashant Gopal in the story.

According to the article, Portland fared worst of the cities measured due to high depression and suicide rates.

The story cites a 71% year-to-year jump in calls to Oregon’s suicide and drug and alcohol helpline. The suicide data, according to the article, were five years old.

Cities were ranked based on their rates of suicide, depression, divorce, unemployment, job loss, population loss, crime, amount of green space, and cloudy days.

The rankings

20 Seattle Wa
19 Mineapolis Min
18 Tuscon Az
17 Louisville Ky
16 Indianapolis Ind
15 Memphis, Tenn
14 Pittsburgh, Pa
13 Kansas City, Mo
12 Sacramento, Calif
11 Milwaukee, Wis
10 Atlanta, Ga
9 Cincinnati, Ohio
8 Nashville-Davidson, Tenn
7 Las Vegas, Nev
6 Jacksonville, Fla
5 Cleveland, Ohio
4 Detroit, Mich
3 New Orleans, La
2 St. Louis, Mo
1 Portland, Ore

And here I thought you U and W'ers like Mace and Luth were happy sing song people.
mvscal wrote:That's because you're inhaling black cock faster than your fat wife inhales cheesecakes.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Portland, OR unhappiest city

Post by Dinsdale »

We gave most emphasis to suicide and depression rates, crime, and economic factors,” writes Prashant Gopal in the story.

Maybe as an alternate methodology, how about "how happy are the people" might come into play in this whole "happiest cities" dealio.

Fucking wannbe "hipster" douches move here by the billions to fight over the last few coffee shop jobs left, and then wonder why they're a loser.

But this list does lead me to believe that Portland does, in fact, lead the country in importing douchebaggery.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

"And here I thought you U and W'ers like Mace and Luth were happy sing song people."

..did I miss Iowa on that list?
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Porkland, Oregon: Home of the other white meat.