Hey van

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Hey van

Post by jtr »

You on facebook? There are plenty of chipotle quality, shoalize cousin hot ladies all over that sordid clambake you and your wife should be able to log on from your bathroom if sink needed too
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: Hey van

Post by Van »

Jess, you are literally the third person this week to ask me if I'm on Facebook.The thing that sucks is that all three were men.

I'll tell you the same thing I told them...

No, I'm not on Facebook, or Myspace, or whatever. I'm a 44 year old boring white married guy. Until about six months ago I'd never even heard of Facebook (I'm still not quite sure what its purpose is, or how it differs from MySpace) but I can't imagine what use I'd ever have for being a "member" or whatever.

This one guy, a guitar buddy of mine, he e-mailed me for my MySpace page info. I told him I don't have one and I asked him why would I ever need one?

He said, "So we can stay in touch about guitar stuff."

I said, "Aren't we doing that right now? What's the difference?"

I don't really even see the need for texting, most of the time. Wouldn't it be faster, easier and more expressive to simply call the person, rather than type abbreviated messages to them?

I'm getting old(er) every day.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Van wrote: No, I'm not on Facebook, or Myspace, or whatever. I'm a 44 year old boring white married guy. Until about six months ago I'd never even heard of Facebook (I'm still not quite sure what its purpose is, or how it differs from MySpace) but I can't imagine what use I'd ever have for being a "member" or whatever.
They'll drag us fossils into the 21st century kicking and screaming, won't they Van? Change that to 47 year old, and you've described me to the letter.
I don't really even see the need for texting, most of the time. Wouldn't it be faster, easier and more expressive to simply call the person, rather than type abbreviated messages to them?
My daughter is a texting fiend. I pay T-mobile an extra $10 a month for 1000 free texts, but apparently that wasn't enough so she calls and wants me to up it to unlimited for another $5.

Me: sigh... Ok

Her: Now you can text as much as you want, too.

Me: I have never sent a text message and never plan on sending a text message.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Van wrote:
No, I'm not on Facebook, or Myspace, or whatever. I'm a 44 year old boring white married guy. Until about six months ago I'd never even heard of Facebook (I'm still not quite sure what its purpose is, or how it differs from MySpace) but I can't imagine what use I'd ever have for being a "member" or whatever.

Amen!

Nice post for a toejam.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I've never sent a text either. Can't imagine when or why I would. If I call instead of text I'll either get to talk to the person or I'll get to leave a detailed voice message. Either option seems far superior than texting, in terms of conveying a message. It's quicker, you can say more, you don't have to try to type shit out on those microscopic keypads and the recipient will actually be able to hear your voice so they'll hear your sarcasm or whatever. Nothing gets lost in translation.

I just don't get it, other than teenage girls simply like to know they've got mail, of sorts. It's fun to them when the stupid little thing beeps with a new message, plus they can do it back and forth in places where they shouldn't, such as during a movie, class or gangbang.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Van wrote:I don't really even see the need for texting, most of the time. Wouldn't it be faster, easier and more expressive to simply call the person, rather than type abbreviated messages to them?

I think you'd be surprised how many people agree with you. I don't return text messages, even to my wife. Ever. I either call the person back or wait for them to call. Fuck texting.

I don't have a myspace or facebook page either. I am 4 years younger than you... if that helps give you a point of reference. Maybe we are old?

I'd be willing to bet anyone under 35 registered here is "textlovingmyspacebookhaving" douchebag....
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Seems to definitely be a generational thing, texting/MySpacing/FaceBooking, etc. I don't know anyone my age or older who texts and the only people my age or older who do MySpace are single people and/or musicians. The first group is looking to get laid and the second group is looking to get exposure, and laid.

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

I was of the same opinion on text messaging until about a year ago. It's a useful tool to stay connected to my own kids when I'm at work. Still I might use it only once or twice a day to check up on 'em.

It's the people with the Crackberries or similar devices that use them for "business" you have to worry about.

Thank God and G0D you don't text, Van. You'd shoot through your monthly text message allotment in one day.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

OK, I've found one definitive reason to text message and it's work only.

Couple of the guys (Dir of Product dev & Dir of Ops) in my company are fucking impossible to immediatley reach any other way.
I can leave either a voice or email and won't hear back for a day - not beacuse they're slacking, but just beacuse they are fucking buried.

But shoot them an SMS and I'll get response PDQ - so I guess there's an App for using it -

I other thing I can think of is some of the airports/bus/train I'm in are so loud I can't hear shit - so if it's a quick message it's there
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Not a chance, socal. Sure, I may be a bit, errr, loquacious here, but in general I hate people and I don't want anything to do with most of the world.

The less contact, the better.

:)

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Van wrote:The less contact, the better.
That's what she said?

Make no mistake, Tone Loq, you'd be handing out text messages like Congress does pork once you start.
:wink:
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Nope. I'd instantly discover that I'd have no texting partners because nobody would want to read my texts.

Can you imagine my attempts at texting??

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Van wrote:Nope. I'd instantly discover that I'd have no texting partners because nobody would want to read my texts.

Can you imagine my attempts at texting??
You? Yeah.

Loc: SRHL@UI
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Van wrote:Seems to definitely be a generational thing, texting/MySpacing/FaceBooking, etc. I don't know anyone my age or older who texts and the only people my age or older who do MySpace are single people and/or musicians. The first group is looking to get laid and the second group is looking to get exposure, and laid.
Van,

The big differences between Facebook and Myspace are narrow (besides the lurker pedos on Myspace)

Facebook - A way to connect and communicate with people you went to school with, people who are in your career field, people who live near you, etc. It was started by a college student as an on campus way to meet other students.
You can set up multiple subfolders of social groups and have friends categorized that way, or just as one big group. It also lets you post crap and communicate with others.

Myspace - It's more of a personal Bio page AND a hook up place, with the ability to blog, send Pms, leave messages, post pics, videos, etc. Same basic shit as facebook, different look. Myspace has been around longer and doesn't have quite the built-in search functions of schools and areas to get you into established social circles.

Those two are great if you are young and have a lot of diverse friends and interests since you can easily connect with them and through them with others. When you get older and your social circles shrink or if you are not a public figure / celebrity / wanna be it has relatively little use, although if you have family in far away places you can use it to keep them informed of what you're up to, provided you waste err spend the time to do it.

We have a family Myspace, but I don't do much with it anymore but read. I set it up but then let the kids update the pics and family stuff. They have more free time than I do, anyway. I read it a lot and here and there I contribute something, but not so much anymore. My younger sister and I keep in touch with each other that way a lot more than before I set it up, since we live too far away to visit often.

BTW Texting is a great way to get a hold of family, friends or (for me) people in my business, since I travel and texting will usually work in areas where cel phones don't. It's a quick and easy way to get a hold of anyone anywhere in the world, if you have the coverage, I've even used it to txt to my office to send shit to my phone I need when I'm at meetings. It's easier to keep track of your kids as well, especially if you require them to respond when you send a txt.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

there is a time and place for texting.

need to tell somebody something while you are sitting in a movie theatre or class or a meeting, fine. there is also the bandwidth thing where you can get off a text but not an actual cell call due to the signal.

what i don't get is my daughter who will sit there on the couch at home and text back and forth to her friends.

PICK UP A PHONE YOU MORON!!!! Is pretty much what I want to scream. I think mainly that they just get a kick out of using dumbass text acronyms.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Mister Bushice wrote: people who are in your career field
two words - Linkedin.com

I've got like 200 contacts, though I don't really do much with it except just add their requests as they come in.

I've heard some good networking stories though about people hooking up with jobs through it.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

KC Scott wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote: people who are in your career field
two words - Linkedin.com.

RACK!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote:PICK UP A PHONE YOU MORON!!!! Is pretty much what I want to scream. I think mainly that they just get a kick out of using dumbass text acronyms.
More like then they can say whatever they want without you knowing, dumbfuck.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

How many teenage daughters did you say you had, dumbfukk?

Oh yeah, that's right, you don't have any.

They text each other even when I'm not within earshot. As a general rule, it has shit to do with being covert. Infact, texting, unlike speaking on a phone leaves an evidence trail. If she really wanted to be sneaky about it, she'd just go into another room and talk.

When I see her phone laying around, on occasion I will be a nosy bastard and scroll through her messages. Can't do that with a call.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Mister Bushice wrote: BTW Texting is a great way to get a hold of family, friends or (for me) people in my business, since I travel and texting will usually work in areas where cel phones don't. It's a quick and easy way to get a hold of anyone anywhere in the world, if you have the coverage, I've even used it to txt to my office to send shit to my phone I need when I'm at meetings.
I guess it's a generational thing as Scott or somebody said. I had the same Nextel bullet proof Motorola i730 for 6 years and had no probs ever and with the same battery. My own family knows I can't and don't do texts. I don't have the time to be accountable to them like a little kid.

However, due to work and school schedules with myself, coworkers, and classmates, it's impractical to leave voice mail due to it being uncool to be talking on cell phones when at work, class and clinical schedules and nobody ing on the same page due to opposing schedules in general.

Trust me, I've been very resistant to this technology, but since texting is the main way to contact classmates and instructors, I broke ranks with Nextel and bought a Verizon LG enV2 phone that let's me have much more versatility. Timely contact with my instructors via a voice message is inefficient as they are on the floor teaching or are doing their normal medical jobs. Texting is a quick and convenient way to communicate. It's also a nice barrier if you really don't want to talk to someone for more than 30 seconds when all you want to do is exchange info. I don't have time to listen to personal bullshit. Mebbe they can join a message board where people interact in unusual and with rude and antisocial mannerisms?

So yeah, I won't tell my family I can text as it's like a parole ankle restraining device... No damn way I tell them I've joined the texting nation. I get enough annoying texts from people I know that I need to be in contact with on a daily basis.

I understand Buttsprays point but I can't ignore this technology anymore. I see the parents' point with the kids, and I see the work-related needs. So basically, it's a technology you can use to your advantage or can scoff at if you have no need to be in contact with people.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

smackaholic wrote:How many teenage daughters did you say you had, dumbfukk?
Unfortunately, they never made it outta the mop bucket.

Or fortunately. However you want to look at it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Texting, for some people, has its practical purposes. But just because it's practical doesn't mean its needed. People try to justify its need. When you're in a meeting, or in class, you don't really need to be texting anybody. Discussion as to what you're having for dinner can wait. Really, it can. If it's an emergency, let's say your house is on fire, nobody is going to text you, "OMG, house is on fire!" No, they're going to pick up the phone and call you.

I text sometimes, mostly when there's no need to dial somebody up and have a full-fledged conversation. For example if a buddy is wrong about the outcome of a game, I'll send him a quick "Nice pick, dumbfuck." No need for further conversation.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

While not glad to be paying more, I certainly don't begrudge my daughter anything she thinks she needs. Whether or not I think she needs it is beside the point. She had been coming in under 1000 texts a month for quite some time and never went over her limit. Close, but never over. But she says that she's getting more texts now from the high school girls she does hitting instruction with, so for both her peace of mind and my own, the $5 is well spent.

Besides, she made the Deans list last semester with a 3.8 GPA so I'm getting off cheap.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

There's something quite amusing and ironic about a bunch of people with thousands of posts on worthless, timewasting, message boards such as this, saying they don't have the time, or see the value, in social networking websites.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I prefer interacting with the assholes I've known for years and being a big fish in a small pond.

It's about quality, not quantity, Gay

Now get back over to facebook and/or mypsace and start networking with your gay buddies before you miss out on the upcumming week-end bukkake fest.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Texting, for some people, has its practical purposes. But just because it's practical doesn't mean its needed. People try to justify its need. When you're in a meeting, or in class, you don't really need to be texting anybody. Discussion as to what you're having for dinner can wait. Really, it can. If it's an emergency, let's say your house is on fire, nobody is going to text you, "OMG, house is on fire!" No, they're going to pick up the phone and call you.

I text sometimes, mostly when there's no need to dial somebody up and have a full-fledged conversation. For example if a buddy is wrong about the outcome of a game, I'll send him a quick "Nice pick, dumbfuck." No need for further conversation.
Fallacious reasoning much message board cowboy?
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

And how is that?
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Is posting on a message board any less of a need than texting?
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

If I'm in a meeting or in the classroom, nope, there isn't a need to post on a message board.

That was kinda my point.
GOSD

Post by GOSD »

Van wrote:Jess, you are literally the third person this week to ask me if I'm on Facebook.The thing that sucks is that all three were men.

I'll tell you the same thing I told them...

This one guy, a guitar buddy of mine, he e-mailed me for my MySpace page info. I told him I don't have one and I asked him why would I ever need one?

32 here and texting is in my generation also. I fucking hate it. It's mostly women or desparate single men doing this. Douchebags would rather text for 30 minutes at what would could take a 10 second phonecall. Then their miserable asses wonder why they are still single. Who knows? Could be the fact that you are so afraid of personal contact that you've been typing on a god damn piece of plastic for the last hour to convey what words would take seconds?
GOSD

Post by GOSD »

JayDuck wrote:There's something quite amusing and ironic about a bunch of people with thousands of posts on worthless, timewasting, message boards such as this, saying they don't have the time, or see the value, in social networking websites.
I use social networking sites. I always need more holes to stick my dick in.