Short term thinking at its finest

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Cicatrix
Elwood

Short term thinking at its finest

Post by Cicatrix »

Edmonton Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the acquisition of forward Ryan Stone, goaltender Dany Sabourin and a fourth round draft choice in 2011 from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for goaltender Mathieu Garon.

So Edmonton is stuck with Roli now. Sure he's been playing OK but fucking hell....he's an old man on his way out and is costing us way too much $. Trading Roli could have freed up some dollars to trade for some real talent at the deadline. Roli's contract is up soon and what then? re-sign him for another 3 years? Probably.

Fuck.
Screw_Michigan

Re: Short term thinking at its finest

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Could be worse. Marty Turco could be your netminder.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Garon came into the season as the starter. He shit the bed.

The Oilers rotated through all of their goaltenders, Roli, JJD, and back through Garon. None of them stepped up and grabbed the starter's role.... Roli on the other hand, started playing well and solidified himself as our #1.

Benefits of the trade:
1 - Gets rid of the three headed monster
2 - JJD will get some ice time as the back-up, and Edmonton will know if he is ready for next year
3 - Dubnyk will get some relief in Springfeild
4 - Once Sabourin is sent down, Edmonton will save .5 mil in cap space
5 - Edmonton now has a roster spot to keep Brule, up when Hemsky comes back. (Potulny & Redox can be waived without risk of losing them).
6 - They got a tough prospect in Stone.
7 - They got a 4th round pick which in itself is more than I figured they would. LA got a 7th rounder for Labarbara.

I'm not complaining. Both were UFAs at the end of the year. Roli may be Old, but Garon's groin gave out on him last year, so it's not like they are trading away an ironman in Garon.

Plain and simple, Roli out played Garon so they kept Roli... Having said all that, with the increased cap space they now have, there is nothing to say that Edmonton won't trade Roli too closer to the deadline if the playoff picture becomes clearer. Heck, maybe Lowe is on the phone right now with Hodgson trying to pry LeClaire out of Columbus.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Nikle
Crack Whore

Post by Nikle »

Joey Moss wrote:Garon came into the season as the starter. He shit the bed.

The Oilers rotated through all of their goaltenders, Roli, JJD, and back through Garon. None of them stepped up and grabbed the starter's role.... Roli on the other hand, started playing well and solidified himself as our #1.

Benefits of the trade:
1 - Gets rid of the three headed monster
2 - JJD will get some ice time as the back-up, and Edmonton will know if he is ready for next year
3 - Dubnyk will get some relief in Springfeild
4 - Once Sabourin is sent down, Edmonton will save .5 mil in cap space
5 - Edmonton now has a roster spot to keep Brule, up when Hemsky comes back. (Potulny & Redox can be waived without risk of losing them).
6 - They got a tough prospect in Stone.
7 - They got a 4th round pick which in itself is more than I figured they would. LA got a 7th rounder for Labarbara.

I'm not complaining. Both were UFAs at the end of the year. Roli may be Old, but Garon's groin gave out on him last year, so it's not like they are trading away an ironman in Garon.

Plain and simple, Roli out played Garon so they kept Roli... Having said all that, with the increased cap space they now have, there is nothing to say that Edmonton won't trade Roli too closer to the deadline if the playoff picture becomes clearer. Heck, maybe Lowe is on the phone right now with Hodgson trying to pry LeClaire out of Columbus.
I want to do some more digging before totally laying out my thoughts on this one, but a few quick shots.

- I'd be amazed if Sabourin doesn't have to clear waivers to go down. If he has to be exposed to waivers then this trade in no way solves the 3 goalie situation. They could try getting him through and potentially lose him thereby only getting Stone and a 4th for Garon (fanfreakingtastic) or keep him with the big club obviously maintaining the 3 goalie situation.

- I'm pretty sure Potulny would have to be put on waivers to be sent back down at this point. It was a bone of contention brought up when he was first recalled as to why Schremp would have been a safer call up unless a deal to move a goalie was going to happen before Hemsky and Nilsson were brought off of IR.

- Throw Stone onto the pile of 3/4 line prospects we have in the system. From Pens fans I've talked with the guy hasn't fought nearly as much or as effectively since breaking his wrist a few seasons ago. Either way, it's not like we're hard up for people to man the bottom 6 spots in the lineup.

- Sabourin is younger than Garon but is an upcoming UFA whereas Garon would have still been a RFA.

If Sabourin can be sent down to Springfield without having to go through waivers, fantastic. I still think it was the wrong goalie to move as Roli could have brought more in via trade (both due to having played more lately plus having a much bigger cap number so moving him would have actually given the team room to bring some salary back).

I sincerely hope that the club views Sabourin as a better potential combo option to play with JDD than Garon and that a Roloson trade is imminent. This would play more into not trying to send Sabourin down to the minors.

As for Brule, if he's not getting top tier style ice time right now without Hemsky and Nilsson in the lineup, why do you think he'll have any role here once they're back? Better off to send him back to Springfield than to have him sit in the press box (cause that's where he'll be once those two are back) and rot.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Nikle
Crack Whore

Post by Nikle »

Oh, and may want to revisit the numbers.

Garon won his first 3 starts this season (stealing 2 of those) and two of his three losses in October were games where the Oilers scored all of 1 goal. Yeah he had an absolute dud in there (the 6-3 loss) but other than that he in no way played himself out of a job. MacT then went back to form, riding one of "his guys" and Garon started 7 games over the next two and a half months (and played quite well in the 2 relief appearances he had in that time frame as well). 7 of his last 8 appearances have been good or better. So in 15 games this year he's been awful 3 times, ordinary 4 times and good or better 8 times.

Don't make excuses for MacT playing Roli rather than giving Garon a chance to prove if his performance last season was a fluke or not.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Everyone will talk about Hossa being the best player the Wings were able to steal away from the Pens but I think they're missing Ty Conklin as well. I've seen firsthand that Conks is a steady guy in the backup role and for most of the season has actually played better than Osgood. Conklin helped the Pens through a rough patch last season when Fleury was hurt. I think they're hoping they can get that kind of play out of a guy like Garon.

The Pens can't be too far from looking at making a coaching change if they continue to scuffle. Injuries are an issue with them but they had Sid and Geno all year...the supporting cast just isn't the same as last season.
Nikle
Crack Whore

Post by Nikle »

Wow and just when I thought they couldn't be any dumber, Tambellini comes out saying that Sabourin will not play in Edmonton. He'll either be traded or sent down and whether or not he has to clear waivers, why state something like that and undermine his trade value before the ink is even dry?

And if you're just turning around and trading him, is there really a much bigger market for Sabourin than Garon? Couldn't they have just made one move to clear up the goalie situation rather than trying to domino it and getting a lesser return? Absolutely bizarre.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Nikle wrote:
I want to do some more digging before totally laying out my thoughts on this one, but a few quick shots.

- I'd be amazed if Sabourin doesn't have to clear waivers to go down. If he has to be exposed to waivers then this trade in no way solves the 3 goalie situation. They could try getting him through and potentially lose him thereby only getting Stone and a 4th for Garon (fanfreakingtastic) or keep him with the big club obviously maintaining the 3 goalie situation.
A stone & 4th for Garon is more than what Vancouver could get for Sanford (zero) and the LA Kings got for Labarbara (7th)

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
- I'm pretty sure Potulny would have to be put on waivers to be sent back down at this point. It was a bone of contention brought up when he was first recalled as to why Schremp would have been a safer call up unless a deal to move a goalie was going to happen before Hemsky and Nilsson were brought off of IR.
Nope he already cleard at the start of the year
- Throw Stone onto the pile of 3/4 line prospects we have in the system. From Pens fans I've talked with the guy hasn't fought nearly as much or as effectively since breaking his wrist a few seasons ago. Either way, it's not like we're hard up for people to man the bottom 6 spots in the lineup.
Fair enough but he bring size and physicality with some skill. It's worth taking a risk seeings as how all of Edmonton young talent is under 6 feet.
- Sabourin is younger than Garon but is an upcoming UFA whereas Garon would have still been a RFA.
Garon is also a UFA at the end of the season
If Sabourin can be sent down to Springfield without having to go through waivers, fantastic. I still think it was the wrong goalie to move as Roli could have brought more in via trade (both due to having played more lately plus having a much bigger cap number so moving him would have actually given the team room to bring some salary back).
No, he has to go through waivers. The only reason he was sent to Edmonton is because Pittsburg needed to cap space for Garon.
I sincerely hope that the club views Sabourin as a better potential combo option to play with JDD than Garon and that a Roloson trade is imminent. This would play more into not trying to send Sabourin down to the minors.
Nope. He was waived
As for Brule, if he's not getting top tier style ice time right now without Hemsky and Nilsson in the lineup, why do you think he'll have any role here once they're back? Better off to send him back to Springfield than to have him sit in the press box (cause that's where he'll be once those two are back) and rot.
Because he has a handful of games left before he will have to start clearing waivers. Once that point of no return passes (4 or 3 more games) he won't be sent down.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Nikle wrote:Wow and just when I thought they couldn't be any dumber, Tambellini comes out saying that Sabourin will not play in Edmonton. He'll either be traded or sent down and whether or not he has to clear waivers, why state something like that and undermine his trade value before the ink is even dry?

And if you're just turning around and trading him, is there really a much bigger market for Sabourin than Garon? Couldn't they have just made one move to clear up the goalie situation rather than trying to domino it and getting a lesser return? Absolutely bizarre.
Garon was traded for a 4th and Stone. Sabourin was salary coming back to Edmonton so that Pitts could get under the cap. The trade talk was wishful thinking on Tamb's part and likely there to appease Sabourin.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

trade for Schneider.

Guys having a great year, and at the age to start getting NHL experience. Luongo creates a never going to start situation.

Would Nucks trade Schneider?

NY Post saying Stamkos being shopped, :meds:

psPascal leclaire is supposedly out for season. I was hoping maybe JD and the gang would trade for him, then he went down with injury. Blues need a franchise Goalie. Mason and manny have been mediocre, and Blues need the goaltending to carry them with all of the injuries and youth they have.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bishop's not the answer? Jesus Christ, he stacks the pads and takes up 3/4 of the fucking net. Slow as Birdy's brain waves, though.

I'd think anyone BUT Stamkos was fair game in Tampa, but their ownership has proven to be pretty fucking dumb already. Sad situation down there.