Favorite Fish

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Favorite Fish

Post by Mikey »

I do loves me some grilled fresh fish. I'm talking really simple here. Season it, throw it directly on a hot grill, wait a few minutes, turn it over and grill a few more minutes. Serve it up with fresh lemon slices, some Sriracha sauce and maybe some deece tartar sauce.

My favorite fish (not including shellfish) to grill, not necessarily in order:

Ono (wahoo)- prolly my favorite all around. Great flavor, great texture holds up well on the grill, hard to fuck up.
Ahi - seared, rare on the inside. One of life's great pleasures, especially seasoned with soy, sesame and wasabi.
Swordfish - the classic grilling fish. Quality is sometimes inconsistent around here.
Seabass - hard to find much seabass around here but sometimes we get some Mexican baquetta seabass in the local store. I'll snap some up whenever they get it.

Halibut - I like halibut but it's hard to grill because generally pretty delicate and tends to fall apart. Better cooked either on or in foil. Also easy to overcook.

I'd include king salmon in my list but, as we all know, you can't get fresh salmon outside the U&L.
Screw_Michigan

Re: Favorite Fish

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kick his ass, Seabass. I like Ahi, stuff is $. Pops used to make it all the time. Don't put too much wasabi on it, though. Might ruin your evening.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

This is an easy one for me. Ahi, ahi and more ahi.

I like to marinate it in a mixture of sesame oil, wasabi, soy, and hoison. Then sear it on a screaming hot grill for 30 seconds per side.

I have a recipe at home for some Japanese Wasabi Slaw. Would take the seared ahi, toast up a sesame bun on the grill, put the tuno on the bun and a hefty portion of the slaw and engulf it. Greatest sandwich I've ever had.

Found the recipe I used. Try it. You won't be sorry.

http://importfood.com/recipes/ahi_wasab ... rgers.html
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

That's it. I bought some fresh ahi awhile back. Bought about 7 lbs of steaks. Ate about 2 lbs right away and vac sealed and froze the rest. I'll be thawing that out along with some alaskan king crab and be dining on that tomorrow night.

Possible PET to follow if I can remember.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

how 'bout mako shark. good stuff, along with the others mentioned.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:This is an easy one for me. Ahi, ahi and more ahi.

I like to marinate it in a mixture of sesame oil, wasabi, soy, and hoison. Then sear it on a screaming hot grill for 30 seconds per side.

I have a recipe at home for some Japanese Wasabi Slaw. Would take the seared ahi, toast up a sesame bun on the grill, put the tuno on the bun and a hefty portion of the slaw and engulf it. Greatest sandwich I've ever had.

Found the recipe I used. Try it. You won't be sorry.

http://importfood.com/recipes/ahi_wasab ... rgers.html
That looks mighty tasty.

One of my favorite recipes for ahi is ahi poke.

Sashimi grade ahi
Ogonori
Scallions
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
Wasabe

Ogonori is a green threadlike Japanese seaweed, also called sea moss. You can usually find it at oriental food stores packed frozen in salt. To prepare it, rinse well to remove the salt. Pat dry with paper towels. Chop into small lengths.

Dice the ahi into 1/2" to 3/4" chunks
Add ogonori and chopped scallions to ahi
Mix wasabe into soy sauce to taste
Add soy sauce and a couple of dashes of sesame oil, to taste, to the fish, ogonori and scallions

Optional: Add some red chili flakes, sriracha sauce, fresh grated ginger and / or diced maui onion.

Serve on a bed of thinly sliced green or napa cabbage. Maybe some daikon radish on the sided.

This stuff is awesome. You can make it without the ogo, but the seaweed adds a distinct flavor and texture that, to my taste, puts the whole thing over the top.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Are we talking about fish you caught, or fish you bought at the supermarket?

I've never had any of those fancy fish you mention, but to me nothing beats frying up a mess o' crappie filets that you just lifted from the local lake.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Wags,

I love crappie. Got a ton of it from Lake Summerville in Texas growing up. We always did our crappie fishing at night. Just put a lantern near the water. All the bugs that were attracted to the light ended up in the water. Great chum for some crappie. Just fished off the side of the boat using minnows on a hook.

What I really loved catching, we called perch in Texas. Perch here in Indiana are completely different, or at least what they call perch. Sun Perch were the best. Just hooked a worm on the small hook and threw a bobber on there. Load up the live well. The way I liked to cook them was to scale them, cut off the head, and empty the guts out. Clean well with water and pat dry. Then, we would dip the fish in some buttermilk and then coat with corn meal and pan fry in a cast iron skillet.

Here in Indiana, I do the same thing with Bluegill. Damn good eats. Just watch out for bones, but when you pull apart the right way, you can avoid them easily.

Another fish we got plentiful in Texas was Hybrid Bass. Seemed much more plentiful than black bass. At the right times of the year, we'd catch our limit of 3-7 lb. hybrids in about 2 hours. Also did white bass. Much smaller, but damn good filets on them.

As for saltwater fish, we caught the hell out of red snapper, redfish, croakers, spanish mackeral and flounder in the Gulf. Oh how I miss fishing in the gulf.

In any case, of all those fish, they were great but none compare to ahi. One thing I miss most though is going to the ditches and inland water near the beach with a cast net and filing up a 5 gallon bucket with gulf shrimp in about an hour. Also miss crabbing for blue crab with a string. One end tied to a brick, the other end tied to a chicken neck. Scoop them up with a net. Some skill to this as they are very sensitive to being reeled in. Someday, I will take my boy down home to my parents and we will do all these things. Can't wait.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote: I love crappie.

Disgusting.

The duck pond I grew up next to was loaded with black crappie (aka "croppy" around here, both terms commonly used). Actually, for some odd reason, the state record black crappie came out of our little duck pond (OK, it's like a 4 acre lake, not that small). We could catch 2-3 pound crappie out of there, believe it or not...

and I wouldn't eat one for all the tea in China.

We always did our crappie fishing at night. Just put a lantern near the water. All the bugs that were attracted to the light ended up in the water. Great chum for some crappie. Just fished off the side of the boat using minnows on a hook.
That's a GREAT technique to use at night right off the jetty at the coast here. Best to stay at the near-end of the jetty, since you can't see sneaker-waves coming at night, but it's child's play to catch a whole mess of Pacific Rockfish ("red snapper" in markets here, but as mentioned, a lot of those terms are different wherever you go). And unlike crappie (aptly named), rockfish is THE GRUB.

Haven't night-fished for rockfish (also also known as seabass around here, although seabass is probably a more appropriate term for grouper, since they're saltwater bass) in a while. This is usually a great time of year for it, too. Maybe even toss a crabtrap in, and get some Dungeness crab (which I don't dig, but someone wants).

Great, now I've got the fishing jones... and I don't even have a 2009 license yet. I need to get on that, since once the floodwaters recede farther, the local streams will be loaded with stellhead... which DESTROYS any other fish mentioned here.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dins,

I believe it was you that said fish from different locale taste different due to their ecosystem or something like that. I tend to agree. By no means is crappie a top 10 fish of mine as I listed many others in my last post I like to fish for and eat, but the crappie I always ate were pretty good. Also, what you call crappie and what I call crappie may or may not be the same fish. See my Perch example above. In any case, yes, there's much better fish to eat than crappie, but a nice filet deep fried makes a deece fish n chips where I'm from. Then again, you can deep fry most anything and it can be edible.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:See my Perch example above.
I noticed that.

Around here, we have Yellow Perch, which are warmwater sunfish. We also have a whole bunch of perch in the bays and ocean -- surf perch, piling perch, and a few others I can't think of right now. The saltwater ones ain't too good, the warmwater ones are horrible.

The crappie here are not entirely unlike bluegill.

Speaking of... I know a lake on the South Coast (sup Q West Coast) where the bluegill and largemouth bass (non-native) get freakishly large (buddy caught a 9.5 pound bucketmouth a few years back... and an 8.5, and an 8.0, and a 7.5... in the same day). Wouldn't mind taking a trip there agin next spring (not too terribly far from Bandon Dunes, either).

Hmmm....

RACK fishing.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My uncle here built a lake on some land a little over 2 years ago. 5 acre lake with area up to 40 feet deep. Filled the bottom with assorted evergreen trees he mowed down to build the lake. Anyhow, he loaded it with bluegill and largemouth bass once the lake filled with water.

Now, 2 years later, it is loaded with some pretty large bluegill and the bass are all about 2-3 lbs and growing. He affixed a feeder to the pier that feeds the fish daily. ANytime you walk on the pier, the fish literally come to the surface and keep their eyes on you like a duck would wanting crackers. These damn things will gobble up anything you throw in, including a hook with nothing on it.

It ain't really fishing as you catch one with every cast, but I love taking my 3 year old out there. He has a blast. To me, it gets boring quickly, but you can always fill up a bucket with fish at anytime quickly if you wanted. I've only take a few out of the lake to cook up, but in a few years, these bass will be fun to reel in as they will get much bigger. Not 40 lb. salmon big, but fun nonetheless for the kiddos.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:It ain't really fishing as you catch one with every cast, but I love taking my 3 year old out there. He has a blast.

PERFECT setup for the kiddies.

And ten years from now, they'll be bored too, and will either give up fishing, or become obsessed with stalking ever bigger, badder fish to catch.

BTW-never caught one as a kid, but my backyard (park outside back fence anyway) lake used to get sturgeon frye in it during floods, which quickly become landlocked. We always figured it was monster catfish (yellow bullhead) spooling our little setups... until over the years, people would pull gigantic sturg out of there.

If I knew then what I know now... I'd have rigged up for them, and had megaBODE for catching a 500 pound monster out of the duck pond.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Dinsdale wrote: RACK fishing.
Second that. I am seriously snowed in here and with the roads being shit as they are I'm not driving 3 hours to fish the Bow. Been tying flies like a motherfucker though and when the thaw comes I'll be ready.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

rack the bluegill and perch mentions. As a kid I caught countless bluegill and quite a few yellow perch. The perch were really good. Had kind of a sweet flavor. The bluegill were excellent as well. And you are right about it not really being fishing. Those fucking bluegill are agressive. They will attempt to eat anything.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: The duck pond I grew up next to was loaded with black crappie (aka "croppy" around here, both terms commonly used). Actually, for some odd reason, the state record black crappie came out of our little duck pond (OK, it's like a 4 acre lake, not that small). We could catch 2-3 pound crappie out of there, believe it or not...
I haven't seen all that many black crappie around these parts but there are plenty of the white variety. Smithville lake is 15 minutes away and during the early spring and summer I'm there at least once a week with a bucket of minnows and a cooler full of beer, lifting those tasty morsels right out of the water.

I've found the best way to catch crappie is to take a boat out and tie up under one of the several bridges that cross over the lake, right next to a concrete pillar. They school there in droves, many keepers. The legal limit here is a minimum 9", but you'll catch many in the 12" range.

Interesting how you said 2-3 lb. I've never weighed a crappie, I just go by the length, but I'm guessing a 3 lb. crappie is a mighty big fish, as crappies go. Biggest crappie I've ever caught was 15" at Truman lake in the Ozarks. My jaw dropped when I pulled that fucker in, what a magnificent specimen.
Great, now I've got the fishing jones...
No shit, same here. Can't wait for late April/early May when the water temp warms up and the crappies start to spawn near the rocky banks. That's the one time of year you can do pretty well just fishing from the bank with a bobber.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Here’s a kid with a 15” crappie that weighed 2.64 lbs:

Here’s what a 4½ lb crappie looks like:

Here’s a 19” 5 lb crappie that lives in a tank at The Bass Pro Shops in Columbia, MO:

Here's a link to a story about the guy that caught it:

http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.ph ... entry10716
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Nobody fucking cares.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Nobody fucking cares.
Are you calling Whitey a nobody? Remember, you claimed this was the one forum where you weren't getting your teeth kicked in. That could change.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'm referring to you, jerkoff.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Oh. So you’re calling me a “nobody”, and taking note of the fact that I FUCKING CARE. Brilliant work, Screwball. Have some more Extasy, do a little more blow, and throw yourself off of a tall building, you fucking tard.

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

A picture of a Large Mouth Bass i caught in my Uncles pond/lake in october

the Bass are around 1lb to 4 lb in his pond, with a 8lb'er that was put in there about 4 years ago(caught at truman lake), caught that bitch one time, fought like a muther, but the Bluegill he has (1lb to 1lb n half) fight even better, they have been growing for years, cause everyone fishes for catfish or bass, so they have been getting fat and frisky with no danger.

Last time i was out there, they had caught a 14lb channel cat. There are some 15-20lb in there, have seen them come up for fish food. And 2 grass carp weighing around 40-50lbs a piece. Would love to hook one of those!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote:Here’s a kid with a 15” crappie that weighed 2.64 lbs:
Wow, what a monster, and the kind of fish I dream about catching. I'd have to say that looks longer than 15".

adel, you can have those nasty ass catfish and carp. Cut one of them open, you might find a freaking used tire.

Bass are whole different story. I've caught a few and they put up one hellacious fight, but being a good bass fisherman is way beyond my means. Too much like work.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Isn't there a fishing forum?

If there isn't then one of you morons should start one.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Every forum is a fishing forum.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Clackamas is starting to be in shape again, after the huge freshet from the storms and low elevation snowmelt.

Depending on traffic, under a 30 minute drive to the SE corner of town, and steelhead returns have been deece so far. There's something to be said for fishing for bigtime big game fish right near the interstate, or around town... although my buddy no longer lives right across the street from a primo riffle on the lower river (bummer, and it made for one sweet takeout for rafting, eliminating the need for more than one shuttle).

Yup, need to go whack a delicious winter stellie on its melon. Needs to be done... then, the chinook will start showing up... then, the summer steelhead... then, the fall salmon.

Only two rivers on the planet have steelhead returning 12 months out of the year... and they're both in the Portland Metro area. If a person was motivated, there's generally some sort of salmon fishing in the area year-round, too, depending on flooding and whatnot.

Yup, needs to happen soon, especially now that it's warming up again.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:Every forum is a fishing forum.
Rack.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

War Wagon wrote:I'd have to say that looks longer than 15".
Good call, Irie.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Rack.
no shit. can't believe I just made it my sig.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Rack.
no shit. can't believe I just made it my sig.
I can’t believe you could fuck up a quote. Well, yes I can.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote: I can’t believe you could fuck up a quote. Well, yes I can.
:lol'ers: