The State Of College Football

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

The State Of College Football

Post by Sky »

Can anyone explain to me why everyone is so quick to pull the trigger when it comes to CFB coaches?

1) You have schools all too quick to hire and fire. This isn't a new problem but the recent past seems to have many many examples of coaches being let go before they get a solid chance at a school. And even those who have had a chance (8+ yrs) are let go if their recent performance doesn't match their earlier success.

Examples: Prince, Solich, Nutt, Fulmer, Willingham (ND), Shula, O'Brien, Walt Harris

2) Some coaches seem to jump at the first chance they get to head to a "better" school. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't but it seems like everyone not in a "premiere" coaching job is just waiting to sell out to the highest bidder. No continuity, no loyalty, its all about the money and fame. Why can't anyone be happy where they are?

Examples: Petrino, Saban, Rich Rod, June Jones, Erickson, Spurrier

3) Schools are practically falling over themselves to pay their current coaches larges sums of money over many many years to ensure they keep their coach---and in many of these instances, they coach is unproven IMO. It seems like every time a team cracks the top 10 during the season, regardless of how they finish, the coach is granted an extension.

Examples: Gundy, WEISS, Tressel (gets a raise/extension every other year), Stoops, Mack Brown, Les Miles, Tubberville, Ferentz

There are numerous other examples in college basketball but the point is the same, why are schools and coaches so quick to go to one extreme or the other? You are either fired, given a huge raise, or move on to a new school. No in between.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: The State Of College Football

Post by Dinsdale »

You make some interesting points... except maybe the one about Auburn falling all over themselves to throw money at Tuberville.

I heard this funny little rumor recently that lead me to believe that wasn't neccessarily the case.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Tubberville got the contract bump last year....
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Sky wrote:Tubberville got the contract bump last year....

yes, but what people don't understand about some of these extensions, is that many times when the Universities extend they also lower the Buyout to get rid of said coach.

Take KST,ND,etc they extended, but lowered the buyout to a reasonable price. Same with Hawkins at CU, he just got an extension, and i believe they lowered his buyout significantly. So while it looks like they got this raise and more years, the University just made it easier to get rid of them before the contract is up.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

It's the Insta-success a few have...Stoops,Saban,Meyer..etc...they hold the bar way too high.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

More schools should use the contract language that Texas uses in their contracts with coaches. Somehow they have language that allows the school to reassign them within the athletic department. They are no longer the head coach, but still work for their salary at the school. At the same time they can't go elsewhere and coach. Hell, in the early years of the Brown era Texas still had 3 other coaches on the payroll: Royal, McWilliams, Macovick. Granted, Royal is more for the figure head status, but McWilliams and Macovick were doing real work for the school.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Left Seater wrote:More schools should use the contract language that Texas uses in their contracts with coaches. Somehow they have language that allows the school to reassign them within the athletic department. They are no longer the head coach, but still work for their salary at the school. At the same time they can't go elsewhere and coach. Hell, in the early years of the Brown era Texas still had 3 other coaches on the payroll: Royal, McWilliams, Macovick. Granted, Royal is more for the figure head status, but McWilliams and Macovick were doing real work for the school.
The beauty of doing that is if said coach decides to take up coaching else where they must terminate their contract and eliminate all that money owed to them by the University. MacII helped design one hell of a nice golf course.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Sounds like dirty pool to me.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.