'Stros

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

'Stros

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Best clutch hitting team in the bigs. I haven't seen this type of hitting in 3 years. You know, the starting pitching is holding the wings together for the most part and the bullpen is doing okay. If the hitting can continue to do what it is doing right now, then this team will compete all year long.

I still think they need another big arm come trade time.

In saying that, this team is really exciting to watch. 4 straight come from behind wins is easy on the eyes.

Rack the 'Big Puma' btw. Last two games he's gone 9-10 with 6 runs 5 RBI and 2 steals. MVP numbers so far this season. Cooper was a genius for protecting him between Tejada and Lee.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: 'Stros

Post by indyfrisco »

It's still early May. I will get excited if they are within 5 games at the break.

In any case, glad to see the Astros start to hit some. Early on it was dreadful.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

Stats. are fun!

I found these numbers a little surprising.

Stats are for the Cubs compared to all MLB

First or tied for first in-
Wins
O.B.P
RBI
Runs

Second or tied for second in-
batting average
walks
total bases
hits

4th in-
slugging percentage

9th in HRs

Their pitching has been better than expected

4th in strikeouts
8th in ERA
(also see above first in wins)

Yes I know it's early, isn't that generally when you see we Cub fans bragging. Still........1/4 of the way through the regular season. If we could pick up a reliable closer, and maintain anything near the above stats...

it might be

it could be

I can't bring my self to say it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dude, it's still the Cubs.

Rack the comeback from down 6-0 against the Gunts today. Still early, but things are clicking offensively early. In the past, the Stros have always had slow starts and came on late in the season. Nice to see them getting started much sooner. Hope it is maintianed.
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

TRUST ME, I'm well aware it's still the Cubs.

I don't know they seem to have a pretty good mix of young players and guys who have been around for a while. I don't know... it just seems "different" from some of their past teams. A tweak here or there and...who knows?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

huh? wrote:TRUST ME, I'm well aware it's still the Cubs.

I don't know they seem to have a pretty good mix of young players and guys who have been around for a while. I don't know... it just seems "different" from some of their past teams. A tweak here or there and...who knows?
Take solace in the fact you aren't the first of many millions in the past oh 100 years or so to say the same damn thing.

Still the Cubs. Still the suck.

My best friend is a Cubs fan and we have a yearly bet that whichever team finishes with the better record gets a meal at Fogo de Chao or a round og golf on the loser. Been eating well and playing for free quite a bit in the last 10 years or so.

Course, it has cost him a lot more than that. He has a bad temper and has broken 5 remotes and one TV (including the remote) in his rants during Cubs REGULAR SEASON games. I can see losing a tough one in the playoffs popping your top, but a mid-June loss because some douche boots a routine grounder? He's got some issues there. Solid dude though.
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

You'll be buying your friend's dinner this year, me thinks (unless Kurt-fuckin-Bavoqua Jr is on the stros). I'm not really one to jump into those outrageous predictions, and I won't start here but... I don't know.

I've been a fan since probably '78 or so, and I really do think this team has a serious shot at doing very well. Maybe even NL pennant...we'll see.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, I was still in diapers in '78, but I remember back to watching the stros in 1980 with my dad. Sat on his lap and we watched the games when on TV. Listened on radio when not on TV.

In this day and age of baseball, I just find it hard to believe you can look at a team this early on, albeit a chronically choking team, and say "this is the year".

Hell look at Florida. 2 Series champs in the last 15 years. And they pay 25% of what the Cubbies do.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

IndyFrisco wrote:I can see losing a tough one in the playoffs popping your top, but a mid-June loss because some douche boots a routine grounder?
I've lost it for way less than that. :oops:
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

IndyFrisco wrote:Cubs have always sucked.
I understand what you're saying, and it may turn out that way again this year. There just seems to be something "different" this year. You're right it's a long season, injuries, slumps, god knows what else. If the Cubs are able to pull off a couple of moves to solidify some holes...I don't know. We'll see, it's still May.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, for your sake (and mine), I hope Chicago slides into Lake Michigan with one of these quakes we keep having down here in Indiana. Hopefully, it isn't when the Stros are in town.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Yeah, for some reason, I never really feel this team is out of it. They seem to find a way to win no matter the score. That was one helluva come back yesterday. Rack Erstad coming off the bench.
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

Congrats to the 'stros for taking 2 out of 3 from my Cubs. Maybe you guys do have a shot at something this year.

sup rozy?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

^^^ your pitching is still shaky as fuck. alfonso "big pussy" soriano can't stay hot forever.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

huh? wrote:
sup rozy?
I HATED the Lidge for Bourn trade. Hate it even more as of about 2 minutes ago... :brad:
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

rozy wrote:
huh? wrote:
sup rozy?
I HATED the Lidge for Bourn trade. Hate it even more as of about 2 minutes ago... :brad:
Lidge is almost unhittable this year and that's before he got his fastball back. He's just now hitting 95 on the gun. Add the heat to his already devastating slider? If only the Phillies starters were any good (besies Hamels) were any good.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

He was hitting 97 last night with pinpoint accuracy. And made Bourn look like the Little Leaguer he is on a slider.

Our teams actually almost mirror each other at this point. Hit all day, couldn't get Juan Beniquez out in a blinding rainstorm with Joba induced bugs flirting about.

And what do we have in common?

Ed Wade

Ah well, at least we'll have fun watching Berkman and Utley duke it out for the Matt Holliday award. :wink:
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

rozy wrote:He was hitting 97 last night with pinpoint accuracy. And made Bourn look like the Little Leaguer he is on a slider.

Our teams actually almost mirror each other at this point. Hit all day, couldn't get Juan Beniquez out in a blinding rainstorm with Joba induced bugs flirting about.

And what do we have in common?

Ed Wade

Ah well, at least we'll have fun watching Berkman and Utley duke it out for the Matt Holliday award. :wink:

:hfal:

Put Chipper in that fold as well.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

This is making me sick.

3-16 in the last 19 games.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Pirates get their first road sweep of the season against my beloved Astros.

Seems we bring out the best in the shitty teams too.

It's time to rebuild. Dump everyone.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

but the stros just got Randy Wolf to sid in their big playoff push.
why is my neighborhood on fire
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

7 in a row. Too little waaaaaay too late.

Eating crow on my Cubs prediction, but I still don't think they get past the NLCS.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

8 now, but keep it real, bro. Those are 2 very bad baseball teams we just swept. Of course, if we could have won just a few games against the vaunted Pirates this year, we might be in contention for a wildcard. :lol: Not that it means anything when Brian Moehler is your ace. :oops:
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

They won't let me stop watching. They better fucking tank in the next 10 days because school starts then and I don't have time to "believe".

No fucking way they keep this going against their next 3 opponents; however, this team seems to win when Lance is carrying a hot stick.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

These mother fuckers are pissing me off. I gave up on them when the Brewers took two out of three from them a couple weeks ago. Fucking assholes now reel off 8 straight and the Brew Crew is tanking. Still six back. Highly unlikely they catch'em, but I've seen crazier things in September.

If the Astros finish the season out 17-5, then the Brewers would have to go 11-11. Not impossible, but improbable.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

RumpleForeskin wrote:These mother fuckers are pissing me off. I gave up on them when the Brewers took two out of three from them a couple weeks ago. Fucking assholes now reel off 8 straight and the Brew Crew is tanking. Still six back. Highly unlikely they catch'em, but I've seen crazier things in September.

If the Astros finish the season out 17-5, then the Brewers would have to go 11-11. Not impossible, but improbable.
4th place gets a WC spot now?
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

I've said for a couple of weeks that we are just too far back. No false hope here.

But gotta give it up for Roy. What a run he is on. 2 one-hitters in his last 3 starts. 23 conscecutive scoreless innings. 25 of the last 32 innings he has pitched have been 3 up 3 down.

Glad the first half of this season was an anomaly.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Post by battery chucka' one »

RumpleForeskin wrote:They won't let me stop watching. They better fucking tank in the next 10 days because school starts then and I don't have time to "believe".

No fucking way they keep this going against their next 3 opponents; however, this team seems to win when Lance is carrying a hot stick.
Don't you hate that? The Giants do the same thing to me....every year. Doing it to me right now, as a matter of fact (and in a weak division, to boot). It's just like Charlie Brown, Lucy, and that football. I won't believe. I refuse to believe. But.....the football is right there, ya' know?
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

rozy wrote:I've said for a couple of weeks that we are just too far back. No false hope here.

But gotta give it up for Roy. What a run he is on. 2 one-hitters in his last 3 starts. 23 conscecutive scoreless innings. 25 of the last 32 innings he has pitched have been 3 up 3 down.

Glad the first half of this season was an anomaly.
Update to add a 3-hitter where he faced the minimum 27. 32.3 consecutive scoreless innings. 31 of the last 41 innings, 3 up.......3 down.

Stros 3 games out of wildcard. Should I allow for false hope, yet?
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

This can't be happening. Carlos Lee is out for the season, Wiggy is banged up, Wandy might miss a start ot two, but we are right fucking there. I can't believe it.
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

You guys got screwed. Milwaukee? Seriously there was no place closer to Houston that could have been selected? Selig spits the bit again, oh well 2 more gates for his sister...right? Hope the recovery goes well. It just doesn't seem like the 'stros year.

Rack Z's performance!
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

'stos ownership were just as much to blame if not more so b/c they waited till the last possible minute before agreeing to have the game moved. There were several options open to them long before it was moved to Milwaukee and the decision game too late.
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

Selig's job is to protect MLB against owners, players unions, congress...whatever. He took the easy way out, again. He is/was an owner first and to hell with the good of the game. This is, IMO, just another example of his lack of leadership. I can't think of a Commish. that has done less for the game nay, hurt the game more than Bud Selig.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

jiminphilly wrote:'stos ownership were just as much to blame if not more so b/c they waited till the last possible minute before agreeing to have the game moved. There were several options open to them long before it was moved to Milwaukee and the decision game too late.
You're a dumbfuck. It's MLB's job to be proactive when an owner is a little stubborn. Drayton was hell bent on getting two games in at the Juice Box, but when it fell through, MLB shit the bed because they did not have a plan in place. Fuck Selig. If the Astros were scheduled to play someone not nearly as popular as the Cubs, you can bet your ass and the farm that the games would've been scheduled somewhere in Texas.