Richard Wright dead

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Re: Richard Wright dead

Post by Tom In VA »

Nishlord wrote: And how is it that the Brits appreciate the greatest American musicians more than the Yanks do?
Good point. As it pertains to the Blues Revival and the propulsion of Jimi Hendrix to the world stage, Americans HAD moved past the blues at that point, hence the term "Revival". Rock and Roll was in grade school and R&B was the new flavor.

But a lot of it has to do with taking it for granted. Outsiders, such as yourself, appreciate it more because it's new - to you.

Plus you guys get to rely on cultures of your former colonial conquests to feed you. Then it all gets put in the mix and really cool new shit comes out.

The cool thing about Floyd, to me, is it seemed to draw it's influence from classical, blues, r&b, and throwing in some influences from the Celts and Picts and sounds from all over the globe made for an interesting mix of sound.

Echoes, Careful With That Axe Eugene, Saucerful of Secrets, Astronomy Domine, the list goes on and on. I can understand folks more interested in a social setting and "dance" music not being too into Floyd, it doesn't lend itself to the "meat market" type places. But for driving, chillin, and just getting into music it's really great shit.

In earnest, the Brits have always been adept at recognizing, exploiting and capitalizing on the resources -cultural or otherwise- of other areas.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Another RACK for Papa Willie.

Although the Wall and The Final Cut weren't exactly shit. I found it interesting that out of a generation whose parents suffered the horrible consequences of World War, only Roger Waters seemed to be the one with the balls to examine the negative. The Who, sort of did with Tommy.

I can see both sides of the story there. I can see the band getting tired of Water's indulgence but I can also see Water's wanting to indulge. I also don't think Radio Waves was a bad piece of work. Almost, prophetic in some aspects.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

mvscal wrote:I'm not really sure what you're point is. Gilmour is a better musician than Waters and Waters is a better lyricist than Gilmour. Their work together was outstanding. Separately, their work is dull and pedestrian without exception.
Exactly. The symbiotic relationship of the band, the sum of the parts, not the individuals, was what made them what they were. I would never go so far as to say their solo work was bad...but it was indeed dull.

And no 'Spray, just because you seem to worship them, doesn't make their weakest efforts superior to most everything else. Come on dude, try taking off the paisley sunglasses and be honest about it.

As genius as a lot of their work was and is, they indulged in a lot of naval-gazing tripe too. Seperate the wheat from the chaffe and you can have this discussion.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:
Jay in Phoenix wrote:
mvscal wrote:I'm not really sure what you're point is. Gilmour is a better musician than Waters and Waters is a better lyricist than Gilmour. Their work together was outstanding. Separately, their work is dull and pedestrian without exception.
Exactly. The symbiotic relationship of the band, the sum of the parts, not the individuals, was what made them what they were. I would never go so far as to say their solo work was bad...but it was indeed dull.

And no 'Spray, just because you seem to worship them, doesn't make their weakest efforts superior to most everything else. Come on dude, try taking off the paisley sunglasses and be honest about it.

As genius as a lot of their work was and is, they indulged in a lot of naval-gazing tripe too. Seperate the wheat from the chaffe and you can have this discussion.
I don't have any problem in saying that they did their best work when they were working together.
Then WTF are we arguing about? That's all I was saying. Where we disagree seems to be in that I think the Gilmour, Mason and Wright variant of Pink Floyd is barely worth listening to and you think their stuff is the shit.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Papa Willie wrote:Meddle had them heading in the right direction of where they ended up.
I agree with you there. Echoes is pretty much at the top of my list of Pink Floyd songs and its influence is definitely felt on their later releases.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:
BSmack wrote: Then WTF are we arguing about? That's all I was saying. Where we disagree seems to be in that I think the Gilmour, Mason and Wright variant of Pink Floyd is barely worth listening to and you think their stuff is the shit.
Sorry - YOU made the insinuation that Floyd without Waters was shit, and you are highly mistaken.
Let's just say that you're forced to flee your home and you can only take 10 of your Pink Floyd albums. Here's my list in no particular order.

DSOM
Animals
Obscured By Clouds
Piper At The Gates of Dawn
Atom Heart Mother
Wish You Were Here
The Wall
A Saucerful of Secrets
Meddle
Ummagumma

What are yours?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Pink Floyd is and always will be my favorite band. The Division Bell is one of their best albums IMO.

I've said this before and will say it again, Lost for Words is the one of the better written songs over the past 30 years.

I was spending my time in the doldrums
I was caught in a cauldron of hate
I felt persecuted and paralysed
I thought that everything else would just wait

While you are wasting your time on your enemies
Engulfed in a fever of spite
Beyond your tunnel vision reality fades
Like shadows into the night

To martyr yourself to caution
Is not going to help at all
because there'll be no safety in numbers
When the right one walks out of the door

Can you see your days blighted by darkness?
Is it true you beat your fists on the floor?
Stuck in a world of isolation
While the ivy grows over the door

So I open my door to my enemies
And I ask could we wipe the slate clean
But they tell me to please go fuck myself
You know you just can't win

Also, the guitar solo on the back end of Coming Back to Life is very clean and smooth, yet it has a kind of an edge to it in weird sort of way. Could be just me. I don't know. Still, Division Bell is a great fucking album.

I'd have to say The Wall still remains as #1 and Meddle a very close #2.

Wright was a fucking incredible pianist/keyboardist and songwriter. RIP, my man.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Papa Willie wrote:Al - I think you're a little bit younger than I am, so I can see exactly why you'd say that. That's not a knock at all against you, but I can see why you might think that. As a whole, I tend to like the British bands better than the American bands. Sounds like you started getting into music right about the time the Sex Pistols and the Clash came out, so there's a world of difference there.
You're exactly right. Although it was actually a couple of years down the line, with The Jam, Specials, etc.
I'm managing a band right now that's doing a European tour in December with Edwin McCain. The promoters over there love the band. While they're pretty much a pop band, they're (of all things) good. They actually can play their shit, and as one of the guys we were talking over there put it, Europeans still like music where actual talent is involved. In fact - he made the statement that most Europeans now consider America a "third world country" as far as the current music scene. I laughed my ass off at that, and I honestly couldn't agree with him more. If you turn the radio on here now, you're bombarded with 3-chord Emo horseshit, and the musicians are fucking horrible. If it's not that, it's shit that is so over-produced that it's not even music anymore. They have to over-produce it to make up for the staggering lack of talent.

That's not to say there's some great music here now, but most of the really good shit goes under the rug. Terrible shame.......
Yeah, I agree with that, too. But we're producing extremely little of value as well - a lot of what has been dubbed 'Landfill Indie' (Pete Docherty, please hurry up and die), Boyband hangovers, fourth-division RnB, Emo clones, and James Blunt. There is quite a big underground Americana (as its known here) scene - loads of little clubs in every city putting on bands from all over the US.

Although I'm not really the target audience anymore, I think this is the worst period of pop music there's ever been, ranking down there with the mid-seventies and the very early sixties. The major labels don't know what they're doing anymore, every new youth cult gets picked up on and analysed to death by the media before its had the chance to gestate properly, and no-one is willing to lay down money for CDs when they can get it for free. This decade will be remembered for the iPod and nothing else. Although having said that, there has been a huge upswing in live music again, so maybe it'll all kick off again in a few years time.

(and I can totally see you in the Peter Grant role)
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Over here, I'm having no problems finding all sorts of brilliant new stuff. I feel sorry for the suckas that are.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Nishlord wrote:
War Wagon wrote:how is it that Americans appreciate British musicians more that Brits do?
And how is it that the Brits appreciate the greatest American musicians more than the Yanks do?
Irony much?

The fact is that the British music we Yanks treasure so dearly would not have been made were it not for the American blues that we largely ignored, and the limeys couldn't get enough of. Not too many white folk here in the States were listening to Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, et al prior to bands like the Stones and Yardbirds "whitifying" their music. I don't think it's a case of the Brits not appreciating their own music as much as it is their recognition and appreciation of its roots. In many cases, the Brits took our blues, transformed it into British invasion rock that we ate up, and which spurred our interest in what influenced it, which led us back to our own music. The Brits have us to thank, and we in turn have them to thank.
"I see everything twice!"
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Over here, I'm having no problems finding all sorts of brilliant new stuff. I feel sorry for the suckas that are.
Concur 100%. There's some great music out there if you're willing to look for it. Bands like Mars Volta, The Decemberists, Allison Krauss, Steve Earle, Elf Power, Wolfmother, Arcade Fire, Cat Power, Architecture In Helsinki, Porcupine Tree...

Just to name a few.

And I would be utterly remiss if I didn't include my favorite mashup group ever, The Kleptones.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Pink Floyd is and always will be my favorite band. The Division Bell is one of their best albums IMO.

I've said this before and will say it again, Lost for Words is the one of the better written songs over the past 30 years.
Gee, Rumps, I would have figured you as more of a Queen fanatic.

Are you gonna take me home tonight
Ah down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls
You make the rockin world go round

Hey I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad
But I knew life before I left my nursery
Left alone with big fat fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Heap big woman you made a bad boy out of me
Hey hey!

Ive been singing with my band
Across the wire across the land
I seen evry blue eyed floozy on the way
But their beauty and their style
Went kind of smooth after a while
Take me to them dirty ladies every time

Oh wont you take me home tonight?
Oh down beside your red firelight
Oh and you give it all you got
Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go round

Hey listen here
Now your mortgages and homes
I got stiffness in the bones
Aint no beauty queens in this locality (I tell you)
Oh but I still get my pleasure
Still got my greatest treasure
Heap big woman you gonna make a big man out of me
Now get this

Oh you gonna take me home tonight (please)
Oh down beside your red firelight
Oh you gonna let it all hang out
Get on your bikes and ride

Oooh yeah them fat bottomed girls
Fat bottomed girls
Yeah yeah yeah
Fat bottomed girls
Yes yes

RumpleForeskin wrote:
So I open my door to my enemies
And I ask could we wipe the slate clean
But they tell me to please go fuck myself
You know you just can't win
:lol:
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Yeah, I have to admit there is a bit of irony in the last verse of Lost for Words
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Nishlord wrote:
War Wagon wrote: All smack aside, how is it that Americans appreciate British musicians more that Brits do?
And how is it that the Brits appreciate the greatest American musicians more than the Yanks do?
Prophets aren't honored it their own country, I guess.

So anyways, I gave my top 3 list of British bands. Only fair that you come back with what you perceive as the best American bands, yes?

Humour me, I'm curious.

Rack this thread, btw.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote: Let's just say that you're forced to flee your home and you can only take 10 of your Pink Floyd albums. Here's my list in no particular order.
In order, here are mine:

Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Yeah, that's not 10... but in your scenario, who has time to count? I damn sure also have to grab up all my Led Zep and Who...

as well as after a quick perusal of my CD rack, an in no particular order:

Deep Purple/Richie Blackmore/Rainbow
Black Sabbath/Ozzy
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer/Asia
Moody Blues
Sir Elton John
Rod Stewart
Foghat
Yes
Rush
Alan Parsons project

BTO (that's Bachman Turner Overdrive, you 'tards)
Credence/Fogerty
Ted Nugent
Stevie Ray
Springsteen
Seger
Boston
Foreigner
Blue Oyster Cult
George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers
Matchbox 20

Just a short list and I know I'm leaving out a ton of other's, but I could happily listen to any of the above for awhile.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

I was going to sarcastically say "Hey, you left off Foghat"...

... but then I noticed, you didn't.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Floyd:

If video counts, Live At Pompei
Meddle
Ummagumma (Hope that doesn't count for two)
Saucer
Obscured
Animals
Dark Side
Atom Heart Mother
Wish You Were Here
Final Cut
The Wall
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Martyred wrote:I was going to sarcastically say "Hey, you left off Foghat"...

... but then I noticed, you didn't.
RACK.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Foghat is one of the best concerts I've ever attended, closely followed by BTO. And I've been to a lot of concerts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Spray, I know you're going to love this:

Ultimate driving song

Not the best sound quality, but still a kickass tune.

Who ever said fat guys couldn't Rock? :D
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:You'll love this too
Watch your video then watch this one and tell me Foghat didn't rip that lock stock and barrel.

Which of course the Yardbirds themselves stole that song from Tiny Bradshaw.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote: Watch your video then watch this one and tell me Foghat didn't rip that lock stock and barrel.
No doubt it was ripped... doesn't make me like the Foghat version any less. I think I may have actually watched that live on Don Kirshners rock concert.

Nice Yardbirds clip, though. Watching a younger version of Jimmy Page pre LZ doesn't suck.
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Post by Fat Bones »

I wanna play...
THE JOHNNY BURNETTE TRIO - The Train Kept A Rollin' CORAL 45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LwCdljsBYQ

put this in just cuz it rocks...MOTORHEAD -Live- Bomber & Train Kept A Rollin' 1980 (Pt 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WOJIi0spo

-lmposter
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

War Wagon wrote:
Nishlord wrote:
War Wagon wrote: All smack aside, how is it that Americans appreciate British musicians more that Brits do?
Prophets aren't honored it their own country, I guess.

So anyways, I gave my top 3 list of British bands. Only fair that you come back with what you perceive as the best American bands, yes?

Humour me, I'm curious.

Rack this thread, btw.
But of course;

Sly & The Family Stone
Public Enemy
The Meters
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

(and if you're gonna come back with that 'Public Enemy aren't a band' nonsense, I have War at 4 and Parliament/Funkadelic at 5)
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

please tell us more, Nish-dale

oh, wait... don't
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..