Washington vs BYU

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Washington vs BYU

Post by Adelpiero »

ok, before people claim Washington got jobbed by 15 yard penalty on Locker TD, the refs have been calling the unsportsmanlike penalty on anything where the td maker throws, tosses, or spins the ball.

was it weak? sure, but they have been calling it.

but Washington still only had to make a 29 yard xtra point. so the block was the key to game, not the penalty. thats a sitter for a FG kicker.

refs were jobbing BYU in first half, so it all evens out!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Washington vs BYU

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Caught that. I don't blame the refs for doing their jobs, I blame the dipshits who tightened up this rule. Fucking sad it has to end like this for a team.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Caught that. I don't blame the refs for doing their jobs, I blame the dipshits who tightened up this rule. Fucking sad it has to end like this for a team.
i have watched some real bad unsportsmanlike penalties this year, but they have been calling it to the tee.

its going to cost a top team a win, for some one to finally say, bring back the old rule.

i have no problem outlawing the somersaults into endzone when 20 yards clear, but the new rules are weak
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The NCAA really needs to evaluate this better and try to understand the difference between celebrating and taunting. There was nothing inappropriate or disrespectful about what Locker did.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Adelpiero wrote:ok, before people claim Washington got jobbed by 15 yard penalty on Locker TD, the refs have been calling the unsportsmanlike penalty on anything where the td maker throws, tosses, or spins the ball.

was it weak? sure, but they have been calling it.

but Washington still only had to make a 29 yard xtra point. so the block was the key to game, not the penalty. thats a sitter for a FG kicker.

refs were jobbing BYU in first half, so it all evens out!
I think it was a 35-yard PAT but whatever. The penalty was weak.
FIGHT ON!
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Fucking refs need to realize they shouldn't be impacting games with this ticky-tack bullshit.

Washington just scored on an awesome run to send the game into OT. THEY WERE EXCITED AND HAD REASON TO BE.

It was neither obnoxious nor excessive. Leave the passion in the game dipshits and don't potentially change the game outcome over trivial stuff.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Just caught the highlight on ABC...that celebration didn't deserve a flag. That's too bad that game had to end on that.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Danimal wrote:Fucking refs need to realize they shouldn't be impacting games with this ticky-tack bullshit.

Washington just scored on an awesome run to send the game into OT. THEY WERE EXCITED AND HAD REASON TO BE.

It was neither obnoxious nor excessive. Leave the passion in the game dipshits and don't potentially change the game outcome over trivial stuff.
blame NCAA this was their call
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Adelpiero wrote:
Danimal wrote:Fucking refs need to realize they shouldn't be impacting games with this ticky-tack bullshit.

blame NCAA this was their call
Ya the NCAA is obviously at fault. But this is not what the rule was really meant to stop and there wouldn't have been complaints about a no-call. Do you honestly think Bronco Mendenhall would send in Locker jumping around in in the endzone to be reviewed as an officiating failure? It is still a judgment call and the ref used piss-poor judgment. I guarantee you there will be plenty of similar plays not flagged.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

NCAA = No Celebrating At All?
FIGHT ON!
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Somehow, as an OU fan, I'm not that upset about Washington losing a game because of an excessive celebration call.
Yeah except they didn't lose the game because of the call. If I didn't hate BYU so much I wouldn't really care. Ref should have just kept his hanky in his pocket is all.
FIGHT ON!
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

The PAC 10 refs.... sure make games interesting.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

It is still a judgment call and the ref used piss-poor judgment.
The rule states,
"After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot."
Based on this rule, the ref actually did make the right call. The point remains that the rule itself is excessive and I agree. One argument I don't understand though is why this particular ref is to blame for the alleged "inconsistencies" from other refs. Who cares how other refs in other games are calling it? This ref should not be held responsible for how other refs are calling games. If he's consistent with his calls, then that's what matters.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Somehow, as an OU fan, I'm not that upset about Washington losing a game because of an excessive celebration call.
Wrong team, bro. :wink:

The call was complete horseshit. E.O.F.S.

Not only did it likely give BYU the game, imo, it also took away any possibility of the game being an instant classic -- whether Washington would have gone for 2, or had it gone into OT. In addition, this one call could have an impact on a coach's job and the psyche of the program, at least for this season.

Not that I necessarily care about Washington ... what I do care about is the arbitrary nature of this bullshit and the fact that it gives the refs -- who need more than enough help as it is with their dumbfuckery -- WAY too much power in close games.

Anybody who thinks that call was the "right" call should just think about it being called on your team. Complete horseshit.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: The rule states,
"After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot."
Maybe the asshats at the NCAA who dreamed up this rule and the Pac 10 ref crew calling this game could clarify where the "dead-ball spot" in the end zone is located.

Fucking idiots.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
dotdotdot
Elwood

Post by dotdotdot »

The dead ball spot wasn't 5 feet over the dudes shoulder.
Act like you've been there before.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

The rule says to leave it near the dead-ball spot. Where is the dead-ball spot, in the end zone?
dotdotdot
Elwood

Post by dotdotdot »

RadioFan wrote:The rule says to leave it near the dead-ball spot. Where is the dead-ball spot, in the end zone?

In the refs hands.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Nope. Right team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0NOuti5 ... re=related
Damn. Let it out BtH, let it out.

So the refs still suck. That's nice.

Especially given that they have even more power in 2008.

And this is a good thing, exactly how?
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

e wrote:it was a good call of a bad rule.
Uh, no.

It was a shit call of a horseshit rule.

Do you honestly think that call would have been made, had it not been a bunch of Pac 10 officials looking for it?

Of course, I'm sure you'd be just fine with it, if Chase Daniel were to happen to toss the ball ... instead of gently, and with purpose, hand it to the nearest official, at Arrowhead, in the Big XII championship game, with the potential tie against Oklahoma, on 4th down, with 8 seconds left, and 60,000 fans screaming their lungs out.

it was a good call

Sure. :meds:

Hell, if Pac 10 officials do the Big XII championship, they may as well go ahead and flag each team, in advance.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

RadioFan wrote:
e wrote:it was a good call of a bad rule.
Uh, no.

It was a shit call of a horseshit rule.

Do you honestly think that call would have been made, had it not been a bunch of Pac 10 officials looking for it?

Of course, I'm sure you'd be just fine with it, if Chase Daniel were to happen to toss the ball ... instead of gently, and with purpose, hand it to the nearest official, at Arrowhead, in the Big XII championship game, with the potential tie against Oklahoma, on 4th down, with 8 seconds left, and 60,000 fans screaming their lungs out.

it was a good call

Sure. :meds:

Hell, if Pac 10 officials do the Big XII championship, they may as well go ahead and flag each team, in advance.

they have been calling it from Game 1. slam it, toss it, spin it, it's 15 yards. Is it stupid, sure, but that is what the NCAA wants to be called.

PS Mizzou players hand the ball to Ref, then shake hands and go to sidelines. Been doing that since Pinkel arrived.

Everyone is missing the big deal. that kick is a chip shot. straight on from under 40. If you kicker can't make that, then you deserve to lose. The Pac10 refs were jobbing BYU all day. Things even out in college football.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

it was a good call of a bad rule.
^^Pretty much the best way to sum it up.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

In the case of what Locker did yesterday, him throwing the ball in the air instead of just handing the ball to the official shouldn't have warranted a flag when really the only thing about celebrating after a big play is the fact the play clock immediately starts after the end of the previous play. If you want to dance around like idiots for 25 seconds and waste time and give your kicking team minimal time to set up for the extra point, that's their problem. You shouldn't penalize the act of mild celebration because there is an underlying issue when a team goes too far with their celebration. With the new clock rules, the goal would be to just hand the ball to the official after a score and get the hell off the field and celebrate with teammates on the sideline and allow the kicking team all the time to get setup for the extra point or in some cases, you may have to call a play and set up for a two-point conversion. Excessive celebration should be reserved for dancing and other selfish acts of unsportsmanlike behavior...not for flipping the ball up in the air and hugging teammates. That was a poorly drafted rule.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Adelpiero wrote:they have been calling it from Game 1. slam it, toss it, spin it, it's 15 yards. Is it stupid, sure, but that is what the NCAA wants to be called.
Except they are not. At least not in the Pac 10. (Huge surprise :meds:) I didn't see the game but I've read that it wasn't being called against ASU in their game.
I understand that that's what the NCAA wants to be called but it sucks and is gaux.
FIGHT ON!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

i dont know why they just didnt ban the somersaulting shit, that was one of the big things, that coaches wanted to be stopped.

sometimes a player might use the somersault to get in over the defense, but the player who was 40 yards clear and then dove or somersaulted was what this rule was really asking for.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Pac 10 refs are the worst in the land, have been for years.

I still remember several years back that they called a taunting penalty on Sultam McCullough on a TD run vs Oregon for pointing at who he wanted the downfield blocker to block
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I agree it was a BS call, BUT.....

Not an excuse for losing. 15 yard penalty gives them a 35 yard kick. Gotta make that. Can't have it blocked. They didn't lose because of the refs. They lost because they suck.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Mace wrote:Here's a novel idea. How about the coaches educating their players as to any and all rule changes and points of emphasis as dictated by the NCAA so that a player scoring a touchdown won't throw the bal 10-15 feet in the air and draw the flag? You can agree or disagree with the rule but, the fact remains, it IS the rule. Don't like the rule? Get it changed but, for God's sake, don't shoot the messenger for doing his job. If the NCAA made this a point of emphasis, and specifically addressed "throwing the ball in the air" (which they did), then every team in the country should be well aware of it and know how to avoid a penalty. Yeah, hand the ball to the official or lay it on the ground.....it ain't brain surgery.

Mace

rack